Hot or Cold?

Tiger

Change to Celcius already you miserable bastards, 100+ degrees sounds ridiculous tongue.gif

To be fair, Fahrenheit is better suited for everyday weather temperature because Celsuis is less varied in this situation as the weather forcasters never use decimals to make it more precise and to get the better "feel" of how cold/warm it is. Fahrenheit more easily avoids using decimals (in real life, people tend to round/half/double/triple a lot and avoid fractions and decimals wherever they can... a common human nature).

That's at least the pro of using Fahrenheit. But seriously, it's just a different way of measuring temperature. That's all. Even Celsuis is flawed as well because it's only accurate at sea level with pure water (that's how we invented the F and C scale). To me, it's just a set of numbers. I need some numbers for, like cooking, so I can know how to set my oven to make pizza or French fries. I don't care whether it's in Fahrenheit or Celsuis... just gimme the damn figure so I can eat my pizza dinner. ;) Likewise for metric vs. imperial. If I need a new wall, I want to know how much I need... whether it's in metric or imperial so I can get my damn wall replaced. :D

Well, in reality, most ovens in Canada uses Fahrenheit and most construction products are measured in imperial, so I need the cooking instruction in Fahrenheit on the pizza box and imperial to replace my wall. But I'm just making a point.

Edited by Jack Frost

To be fair, Fahrenheit is better suited for everyday weather temperature because Celsuis is less varied in this situation as the weather forcasters never use decimals to make it more precise and to get the better "feel" of how cold/warm it is. Fahrenheit more easily avoids using decimals (in real life, people tend to round/half/double/triple a lot and avoid fractions and decimals wherever they can... a common human nature).

That's at least the pro of using Fahrenheit. But seriously, it's just a different way of measuring temperature. That's all. Even Celsuis is flawed as well because it's only accurate at sea level with pure water (that's how we invented the F and C scale). To me, it's just a set of numbers. I need some numbers for, like cooking, so I can know how to set my oven to make pizza or French fries. I don't care whether it's in Fahrenheit or Celsuis... just gimme the damn figure so I can eat my pizza dinner. ;) Likewise for metric vs. imperial. If I need a new wall, I want to know how much I need... whether it's in metric or imperial so I can get my damn wall replaced. :D

Well, in reality, most ovens in Canada uses Fahrenheit and most construction products are measured in imperial, so I need the cooking instruction in Fahrenheit on the pizza box and imperial to replace my wall. But I'm just making a point.

The size of the 'degrees' on the F scale is smaller, or at least some of the time, this does not make it more suited to every day weather measurements. Can you really tell a +/- 1 degree C difference? I suspect the answer is 'no', no matter how much you might say that you can. Because both C and F have a higher 'resolution' than the sensitivity of our bodies it really does not matter from that perspective which scale you use. So that addresses your first paragraph.

Well, yes it is just a set of numbers. But, it is much more accurate than you say.. the scale is now defined in a different way. Personally I'd say that C is a better system :). I'd prefer it to be based on some non physical parameters but *shrug*.

With imperial measurements.. It does not make sense to keep varying how many of your first level (ie, inches, pounds, pints) go into your second level (feet, stone, gallons). Sticking with only 12/14/16 would be fine, but the imperial system does not do that.. it is internally inconsistent. The metric system on the other hand.. 1000 nanometres in a micrometre, 1000 mm in a metre, 1000 metres in a kilometre. Note that I've used 10^-9, 10^-6, 10^-3, the base unit (metre) and 10^3. Cm is just a factor of 10 greater (ie, it is 10^-2) for simplicity of daily use. The differences are all 10 or multiples of 10. Much more sense!

One of the rare inventions coming out of France which makes sense... that and the guillotine..

Now! The topic! :P

I prefer 15-20 C. If it gets above that I sweat and I hate it. Below that is fine.

Edited by Xeran

depends on humidity with heat here, though i can deal with anything up to about 40c without to much sufferance,

also fine with the cold which i think i ultimately prefer though thats just cos i love snuggling up and the snow

got really shitted off this year it got to 32c in august which just is ridiculous

Really? I had no idea it got cold in Queensland yet alone snowed!?

Hehehe... that's part of the reason I chose this name for the topic. However, if we all just go on talking about this song instead of weather further... :off:

And btw Jack, 104 does happen in some parts of the world. It has been known to be that hot here. That's the record high in Houston actually. Also, the record high in Dallas is even hotter than that. Then again, the humidity is much worse there. I think someone said it's 90% in the summer... Houston is definitely not a summer spot for me. :ph34r:

And Kevin, a hoodie in July? Yikes! I was feeling like I was about to die last summer. I'm so glad it's over. I'm so not used to the summers here, and yet, I'm already to the point where I think the 50's and 60's are a bit nippy. :P

Yes, and in Houston no less ;)

As I've tried to explain to people, I actually feel cooler in a lightweight hoodie in the summer. With the sun bearing down on my skin I get very hot very fast (not to mention sunburned), in a lightweight hoodie it acts as a sort of insulation and I find it easier to regular my temperature.

I can't stand the sun actually. I enjoy sunny weather, but I refuse to put my bare skin in it. The hotter and sunnier it is the more I want to make sure I'm covered! LOL, then again I have very little pigment so I suppose that's why :)

Needless to say, I would only walk around in "skimpy" clothes - or nude - indoors or else in the evening/overcast.

Great point, Frosty :)

The size of the 'degrees' on the F scale is smaller, or at least some of the time, this does not make it more suited to every day weather measurements. Can you really tell a +/- 1 degree C difference? I suspect the answer is 'no', no matter how much you might say that you can. Because both C and F have a higher 'resolution' than the sensitivity of our bodies it really does not matter from that perspective which scale you use. So that addresses your first paragraph.

You don't have to deal with vast amount of numbers in negative, hence making averaging easier in Fahrenheit.

And it's still on topic though... We're talking about weather, no? :P

People doesn't need to convert daily in real life between two units in either system. I don't need to know many inches or feet in 24 miles everyday or how many centimetres or metres in 24 km everyday. Mostly, we just need a number to get it (hence my cooking and wallboard examples). It's simple to remember the magic numbers to convert between two units in imperial because you don't need much units in daily life. Just several units to memorize. The only thing I will pretty much agree that metric is better suited for science. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on a country because, imperial may be internally inconsistent, but in some cases here... it makes better sense than metric.

Edited by Jack Frost

You don't have to deal with vast amount of numbers in negative, hence making averaging easier in Fahrenheit.

And it's still on topic though... We're talking about weather, no? :P

Negative numbers are not difficult :P.

And, they actually make averaging easier because you end up dealing with smaller numbers :)