Revision Techniques

Hey Guys :)

I know a few of you are teachers/lectures and i was wondering if you could give me advice on how to revise for my A Levels?

I struggle with the repetition method and the whole idea of mind maps just confuse the hell out of me.

I'm just kinda worried about it all not sinking in. :D

If it helps i do Economics, War Literature, Theatre Studies and Business Studies.

Johnathan xx

I know a few of you are teachers/lectures and i was wondering if you could give me advice on how to revise for my A Levels?

I struggle with the repetition method and the whole idea of mind maps just confuse the hell out of me.

If it helps i do Economics, War Literature, Theatre Studies and Business Studies.

Johnathan xx

I didn't know there was an alevel in war literature.

It's about how your memory works. you have to try different methods. The best advice I was given once was that I should try using ALL my senses to revise, to provoke my memory. We don't just use reading.

How do you recall stuff?

I could tell you what works for me but it may not for you. I Do use the repetition method. I say things out loud, I imagine something that goes with that concept, I doodle, I underline Alot. I will even make silly noises while I am repeating outloud for some reason. I condense my notes. I also try and teach someone what I have to learn, if I can't then I haven't learnt it. I had to try and understand the whole to get the bits, where all the pieces fit in the logic of the subject.

And the biggest trick? Learn what they are looking for! Exam technique, or coursework technique is so important while you are still in school. not sure it's done me all that well at uni, or I didn't bother to learn it properly. there are code words. look at the syllabus to see how they explain stuff. and practice exam papers! learn how to split your time based on marks etc etc. you'll do well :)

when are your exams? have you got modules in January?

Edited by Smarties

Johnathan xx

I'm not sure exactly what A-Levels are like? Are they multiple choice or essay? This ignorant American is curious.

I'm not sure exactly what A-Levels are like? Are they multiple choice or essay? This ignorant American is curious.

They vary a lot. I'm not really sure what your equivalent is. It depends on the subject really and the external exam board that you are with. An A level is made up of 6 modules (if I remember right :blink:), you take 3 in your 1st year (AS) and 3 more in your 2nd year (A2), combined they make an A level for that subject.

They generally don't have multiple choice. But for say maths, one I took, it's a paper that has problem questions based on the syllabus for that module getting progressively harder and worth more marks. of course it is timed. each module usually progresses from the last (if they are core), and then in A2 it gets harder. for most subjects there is an essay question (there even was in biology and chemistry that I took) and that wants you to use all your knowledge and more. Other modules may have part of the marks made up in coursework that's marked by your teacher and then sent off to the external markers. for english say, my sister had to remember whole damn books and quotations to use. you weren't allowed the text you were studying in with you, and they had been doing far more than one. A levels are known for the quantity of the work you have to do.

They are difficult, no doubt about it. and Lots and lots of hard work.

Economics - 25 Multiple Choice Questions. 2 Data Response Essays. Per Exam 2 Exams

Theatre Studies - Dont Need To Revise. We take notes into the exam with us. But 2 Essays in 90 minutes. 1 Exam

English Lit - Cant Revise For. We dont know whats in the exam until like the day. 1 Exam

Business Studies - Two Case Studies. 8 Questions (based on Content, Application, Analysis and Evaluation) 1 Exam January

Then Two Case Studies. 8 Questions Greater Emphasis on Analysis and Evaluation 1 Exam June

you don't have 3 exams for each subject then? strange. I'm sure that's what we did. good luck with it.

oh, and make sure you know how the marks are allocated with the essays, so that you are sure you cover all the bits required to get the top marks. even if you excel in one part if you haven't covered another then they can't raise the grade. and be creative, not cardboard :)

-maths we also had to make sure our workings out were shown, could be similar with econ (I'm trying to remember from my uni work, damn can't remember)

-oh and I use colour in my notes

Edited by Smarties

The hardest studying I ever had to do was in law school, and there I learned the art of outlining to study for exams. It really helped me because the process of developing the outline helped me understand all the aspects of the subject and how they fit together, and the act of writing it down (or typing it into my computer) helped me memorize all the concepts. I'm not sure how well that will apply to the subjects you are studying, but that is the best advice I have.

Queue cards work wonders for me, with different colours, I like bright reds greens and blues, cant stand trying to read just black it makes my eyes itch. Anyway I condense my notes on paper, and then recopy the notes onto cards Q and A and have people ask me questions. For essays I do somehting similar except instead of just an answer I make a brain storm in the answer section so say, What factors effect Cross contamination for instance I would put in the answer area all the different factors in bullet point. knowing the outline or basics can help you remember the more in depth stuff.

Also when you're in the exam take the first 5 minutes to breathe, really read the Q, underline the relevant stuff "explain" "outline" "Describe" etc and then draw a plan.

Good Luck! oh and DO NOT under any circumstance revise the night before. It just baffles you, nothing stays in and yeahjust relax to give your head some down time!

Queue cards work wonders for me, with different colours, I like bright reds greens and blues, cant stand trying to read just black it makes my eyes itch. Anyway I condense my notes on paper, and then recopy the notes onto cards Q and A and have people ask me questions. For essays I do somehting similar except instead of just an answer I make a brain storm in the answer section so say, What factors effect Cross contamination for instance I would put in the answer area all the different factors in bullet point. knowing the outline or basics can help you remember the more in depth stuff.

Also when you're in the exam take the first 5 minutes to breathe, really read the Q, underline the relevant stuff "explain" "outline" "Describe" etc and then draw a plan.

Good Luck! oh and DO NOT under any circumstance revise the night before. It just baffles you, nothing stays in and yeahjust relax to give your head some down time!

good advice.

though I would disagree with the last bit. I do think that depends on the person. While I was doing exams I was told this over and over. but it was one of the important factors for the grades I got. I have short term memory and going over stuff lastminute was often the key for some things. For awhile I could have photographic memory of my notes or whatever, but doing it close to the time was essential. nothing beats preparation though.

maybe that's why I burnt out though, the intensity of it all :)

in terms of working out what questions they are going to have -- and therefore what to focus on. That's another gamble, but it's what I excelled in during school. You go through the syllabus and the past papers and you work out what has and hasn't been on there. Everything on there Has to be on the exam at least Once in 2 years I think it was. Though this may have changed. But also be prepared to be surprised. But I was lucky, or maybe as I believed, it was an art :).

I think the outline thing people have been stressing is the key. It's what a map thing is supposed to do, just we've obviously done it different ways. The difficult thing is working out the outline first. but once you've done that you've understood the subject, are more comfortable with it, and therefore should hopefully be able to remember or recall it more easily.

A few thoughts from across the pond:

If the topic involves case studies and practical applications, then that's what you should study.

When tackling multiple choice questions, remember:

1. Read the whole f**king question.

2. Make sure to check each question for those nasty words (except, but, etc.)

3. Remember that any test-writer that is competent will think of the common mistakes you will make and have the answer for that error included in the choices.

4. Your first guess is always your best guess. If you go back and review your answers, DO NOT CHANGE an answer unless you are sure it is wrong.

• Like 1

if its anything like ACT/SAT/TCH (LAWLLLL) ummm, i'm sure there are like things you can sign up for to prepare you. but then again you are english and you do drive on the wrong side of the road.

edit: my bad, british

editx2: does all those a-levels poke master stuff make them (the british) smarter than us (US)?

It took me a few minutes to realize that "revise" means "review". "Revise" has a totally different meaning to me.

I think the A-level exams are more like a proficiency exam (that determines what type of diploma you receive from high school) rather than a college entrance exam (SAT or ACT in the US). Am I right?

I can't imagine doing one in Economics...the dismal science.

Edited by MikeL

It took me a few minutes to realize that "revise" means "review". "Revise" has a totally different meaning to me.

I think the A-level exams are more like a proficiency exam (that determines what type of diploma you receive from high school) rather than a college entrance exam (SAT or ACT in the US). Am I right?

I can't imagine doing one in Economics...the dismal science.

In ENGLAND, you can finish school at 16. That's as far as 'highschool' (secondary school) goes. People take GCSE's General Certificate of Secondary Education of any number just before they leave. But to be considered as a 'pass' you really need 5 A-C's preferably with two of them in maths and english. It is shocking how many people leave school without that. They are fairly easy overall. But I don't want to do anyone down who has found them hard. That's I suppose your highschool equivalent.

After that it is your choice if you continue or not. The standard next step, and pretty much the only way if you want to go to Uinversity (college) is to take A Levels. Universities usually ask for 3 A levels for entrance. and then it depends on the uni you went to as to what grade they expect. and of course all the other number of things you have to show to beat the other students. My uni nearly killed me asking for 3 A's. And I nearly killed myself taking 4. You usually take 4 in your first year at AS, then drop one for your final year. They are bloody difficult. they are hard! it is really the amount of work you are expected to do. people underestimate them. so yeah they are an entrance requirement.

If you don't want to do academic A levels but still remain in education there are a few other options, such as NVQ's which are more vocational. but I don't know enough about them to tell you.

In SCOTLAND, it's different. They have Highers. and I again I don't know that much about them, except they are easier than A levels. Then of course there are the International baccalaureate which is the other qualification accepted by Universities if you have studied abroad usually.

I can't imagine how they'd figure out what the right answer was. biggrin.gifIn economics, there's rarely one right solution.

urgh, I would have loved to have been in my old lecturers seminar again once the financial crash happened. he was too bloody sure of himself and his answers. for him there really was only one answer.

urgh, I would have loved to have been in my old lecturers seminar again once the financial crash happened. he was too bloody sure of himself and his answers. for him there really was only one answer.

At the risk of taking us too far offtopic.gif the latest crisis has given the Keynesian Economists something to crow about. It's only been 80 years since they were last demonstrably right. And boy does that piss off the Supply-Siders.