Andrew De Leon

Steve3

I love this kid. I'm a big opera fan and it's so wonderful to see it touch and influence one sooo well. The look? It would turn opera on its ears! With the amount of make-up used in opera, he'd fit right in!! I about lose it when Andrew is holding back his emotions at the end.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIvmlFDcaM[/media]

Edited by Steve3

To say the least, I was shocked when he began to sing, since I wasn't expecting him to belt out in that range. Fortunately, the judges weren't crass and didn't ask him if his briefs were too tight, but I wonder if he'd be interested in doing opera, seeing he'd have to take female roles. It was an amazing performance and reminded me of a Britians Got Talent contestant (I'll include the link.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XOIKs346Lww#!

Both amazing, although unusual, voices.

IDK Bill. I saw Pritchard back in 2009 too, along with Susan Boyle, and Diversity and such, and simply loved his audacity. However, in this present case, De Leon seems so much more powerful in his delivery. I suppose I'm biased - truthfully. I've searched myself to try and discover why I'm so drawn to DeLeon's performance.

Puccini's wonderful arias always featured the laments and sadness of a woman who'd lost, squandered, or got screwed outta the love of her man.

Lord only knows if de Leon is gay or not. His FB page features a LOT of Lady Gaga, but no matter.

When I saw de Leon sing of this loss from Puccini's opera "Gianni Schicchi" the aria "Mio Babbino Caro", I felt a kindred spirit so-to speak - it touched me.

I can't really tell - some of his performance sounds 'falsetto', but then other parts sound almost "castrati", with the power.

Color me "confused", but happy that Andrew did well, and the folks didn't cringe when a MAN sung a traditionally female part. :)

Steve

Steve, it was only a few years ago when the last of the castraltos died, I think he was in his 90s, but Andrew certainly sounds in that range. You are correct though. Some of it did sound as if it were a falsetto.