Pro footballer (soccer) comes out! .....then immediately retires.

SilverNitro

I'm glad he finally took the courage to come out! I was pretty much in the same shoes as him (without the professional soccer playing part).

I find it very unfortunate that he decided to immediately retire from soccer as soon as he came out. Looks like I'll need to wait another time for a trailblazer to come out and continue playing American professional sports afterwards. It's going to be tough for the person, but I'd not be surprised if he will receive a lot of positive support for doing so.

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/international/9467/Pro-footballer-comes-out-and-retires.htm

His personal coming out post:

http://www.therobbierogers.com/

I wish him best of luck on his journey, and I hope he comes back to football/soccer!

I agree it's a shame that as soon as many sportsmen and women come out the immediately retire, as though being gay suddenly stops them playing sports.

So is Lori Lindsey (who now plays for Washington Spirit in the National Women's Soccer League and played for USA in the Women's World Cup) not a big enough name in the States to be classed as a trailblazer?  Or is women's football/soccer not very big in the US?

I agree it's a shame that as soon as many sportsmen and women come out the immediately retire, as though being gay suddenly stops them playing sports.

So is Lori Lindsey (who now plays for Washington Spirit in the National Women's Soccer League and played for USA in the Women's World Cup) not a big enough name in the States to be classed as a trailblazer?  Or is women's football/soccer not very big in the US?

It's not very big here, unfortunately. It would need to be someone from one of the big 4 North American leagues, the NFL (American Football), NHL (Hockey), NBA (Basketball), or MLB (Baseball). MLS soccer might count too, maybe. At least one of these sport that would garner enough media attention to spread awareness.