Gorilla Glass

hh5

Remember the Minority Report Computer used by Tom Cruise back in 2002

minority-report-original_thumb-700x290.j

it looks like we're getting there 11 years later

_60701321_qany3cgd.jpg

Many things can be made from gorilla glass technology ... electrically tinting a window, a see through display, solar cell window panes,  ... to encasing a phone to make it indestructible and scratch resistant

Corning has come a long way ... perhaps soon we'll have a computer system similar to what we see in syfy

Edited by hh5

LG is taking pre-orders for a 55" curved screen televison in South Korea. It's made from organic LEDs. Going to be pricey, only cost you $13,500. No word on when it'll be available to the rest of the world and what the price will be. 

SOURCE:

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-lg-curved-oled-tv-20130429,0,6958382.story

wow, these screens may one day replace the movie theater projection as they really get big

LG is taking pre-orders for a 55" curved screen televison in South Korea. It's made from organic LEDs. Going to be pricey, only cost you $13,500. No word on when it'll be available to the rest of the world and what the price will be. 

SOURCE:

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-lg-curved-oled-tv-20130429,0,6958382.story

I think on the table top the phone can be recharged just like the cooking elements ... no cords

Nice to use the table tops ... but walls, windows, doors can be used as well 

Outside Windows can be solar cells while indoor can be display

It's all exciting stuff.  There will always be that human desire to improve things in some way.  The new smart materials they are working on are amazing.  They change shape depending on environmental changes.  All sorts of construction will change a lot in the future.  One of my favorites is self-healing materials.  The idea that a structure could repair itself after being damaged is pretty cool.  A storm damaged your roof?  It will fix itself in a short time.  The idea can be developed for just about anything.  There is nothing that can be imagined that can't be accomplished.  It might take a long time for some things to reach the point of viability, but it will happen.  The only thing that worries me is there might not be enough time to do it all.  One of the things that we seem to be failing at is maintaining the planet we depend on for survival.  The big idea in that respect seems to be figuring out how to colonize other planets in time to save a few humans before the earth becomes unlivable.  It's no fun imagining the earth as a big cemetery.  Maybe, if people can pay attention long enough, we can still save our home.  It's a thought.  It's a dream.  I hope it's a dream that comes true.  :ph34r:

mmm iPhones are not so indestructible???

does the gorilla glass break or is it the non glass parts breaking?

what will happen to the cheaper iphones made of plastic shell

break on the first drop?

Cracked-iPhone-Screen.jpg

Edited by hh5

i love to see that video, lol

I watched a drop-test video pitting the iPhone 5 against the S4. iPhone 5 dominated it.

The only thing that worries me is there might not be enough time to do it all.  One of the things that we seem to be failing at is maintaining the planet we depend on for survival.  The big idea in that respect seems to be figuring out how to colonize other planets in time to save a few humans before the earth becomes unlivable.  It's no fun imagining the earth as a big cemetery.  Maybe, if people can pay attention long enough, we can still save our home.  It's a thought.  It's a dream.  I hope it's a dream that comes true.  :ph34r:

Maybe a bit off topic :P but an interesting point worth looking at so I've done a blog on Colonisation

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/blog/504/entry-13492-colonisation/

And the S4 got it off easy twice - fell on its plastic back 2/3 times. iPhone didn't get that luxury (it's back may have gotten scratched up, but it fell on its side every time. Didn't get a single break)

Edited by iSimba

that was coool!!

but I think on the second drop he didn't release it the same way 

at least this gives some expectations when he does this test with the cheap plastic iphone

lol, he needs to add one more test ... accidently dropping the phone from the balcony

or dropping the phone on the train platform during rush hour where people will step on the phone

or the getting caught in the swinging doors

Do Phones still break even in rubber casings?

I known of a metal wallet casing that's indestructible but I think it will interfere with reception

And the S4 got it off easy twice - fell on its plastic back 2/3 times. iPhone didn't get that luxury (it's back may have gotten scratched up, but it fell on its side every time. Didn't get a single break)

Edited by hh5