Beware the Flashlight App

MikeL

The thing is that headlines saying INSTALL APPS WITH CAUTION barely even register, do they? You've got to have a specific concern to attract much attention.

I don't have a flashlight app, no use for it, but I've got a banking app from a bank that's had its customer database hacked, and several of my recreational apps would likely allow me to be tracked if anyone in China were interested in my whereabouts. 

• Like 1

It appears these are all Android problems.  Typical.  :D

If you read the article, you will find:

The flashlight app pre-installed on the Apple iPhone appears to be safe.

However in both the iTunes store and on the Windows Phone app store, 3rd party flashlight apps access various hardware ports. The ports they access while they are running includes Webcam, Location Services, using your GPS and other coarse location based internet. In addition, they use your internet connection.

The good news is that on these two operating systems apps like this cannot hide in the background.

The bad news is when you run downloaded Flashlight Apps on these two platforms, they are still building up a profile on users including your location, and are able to send and receive information over the internet – totally unnecessary for a flashlight.

25 replies to a conversation about a cell phone flash light, the human race really needs to get out more :P

....Sorry I couldent resist :D

Actually, the discussion is about the app being used to spy on you, possibly steal your identity.  The only thing the flashlight has to do with it is its an attractive free app that sucks in the unwary.

I actually prefer a "stupid phone" except you can't buy them anymore....  :/

Radio Shack sells dumb phones. A friend just replaced his Motorola flip phone with another brand. It cost him $10. Both of us use prepaid phones that cost us about $10/month. I can wait until I get home to get online. Folks can either wait for me to answer an email, or call me.

For that matter, get a goose quill and an ink pot with ferrous oxide ink, and burn the letters into a parchment.