2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Classic Mainstream Literature: Les Miserables

W_L

We never talk about classic literature, despite being "Gay Authors" :P and readers of all types, sizes, creeds, and sexual interests.

There are classic stories that have stood the test of time, stories with ideas that transcends any localized temporal issues or social stigmas/ideals, and stories that seem to reverberate as clear 200 years ago as they do today.

For some reason, I was thinking about Les Mis' today as I thought about my trip to New York for my grandfather's funeral (I've seen the movie musical and read the original book a few times).

Basically, in order to save money staying in NYC for a few days and help pay for my grandfather's funeral expenses, I rented an apartment in an lower income area of New York City. There were crazy people, homeless people, and a bunch of others I'm used to as I am a Bostonian and have worked in the ghettos as an accountant for a health network of community health centers serving the poor inner city in a past job for 3 years. However, actually living there (Thank you Bookings.com for getting me bottom barrel prices :lmao: ) and shopping at the local marts, it just reminded me of the story.

Urban poverty is real and there is a tragic reality to it that was true in the 19th century as it is in the 21st century. Instead of stealing bread to feed his family, the modern day Jean Valjean is dealing in goods as an illegal hawker without a permit and when the cops arrest him and put him in jail for selling counterfeit goods with copyrights and fines he can never understand or pay, is jail time any more justifiable than stealing a loaf of Bread for a starving family.

It just made me think of the story and I just began drawing more and more parallels between Victor Hugo's classic and Modern America.

I don't want this to be a purely political/Pit type discussion on economics and politics, but something approaching literary relevance from this classic story to modern society. I think Les Miserables really touches on a lot of good topics that are important and relevant to how a lot of people live.

“So long as there shall exist, by reason of law and custom, a social condemnation which, in the midst of civilization, artificially creates a hell on earth, and complicates with human fatality a destiny that is divine; so long as the three problems of the century - the degradation of man by the exploitation of his labour, the ruin of women by starvation and the atrophy of childhood by physical and spiritual night are not solved; so long as, in certain regions, social asphyxia shall be possible; in other words and from a still broader point of view, so long as ignorance and misery remain on earth, there should be a need for books such as this.”- Victor Hugo

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

I think you would also be able to draw many of those same conclusions using the works of Charles Dickens too.  So much has changed, yet so much has stayed the same, merely in a slightly different form.  

• Like 1

Last autumn I went to see a performance of Euripedes' Hecuba at the RSC. This play about the end of the Trojan wars by a playwright from two and half millennia ago was enthralling, emotionally draining and so relevant. Universal themes which travelled across time: war, genocide, power, revenge, family; and which it was equally wonderful and depressing to realise could be applied to so much that had been going on in the world over the past few years.

We never talk about classic literature, despite being "Gay Authors" :P and readers of all types, sizes, creeds, and sexual interests.

There are classic stories that have stood the test of time, stories with ideas that transcends any localized temporal issues or social stigmas/ideals, and stories that seem to reverberate as clear 200 years ago as they do today.

I think part of the problem is the sheer size of the subject - I've never read any Hugo (my C19 French novelist of choice is Zola) and maybe you've had no experience of Greek tragedies so a converation would be difficult.  Perhaps one of those times where individual conversations between members would be more productive?

Edited by northie

Last autumn I went to see a performance of Euripedes' Hecuba at the RSC. This play about the end of the Trojan wars by a playwright from two and half millennia ago was enthralling, emotionally draining and so relevant. Universal themes which travelled across time: war, genocide, power, revenge, family; and which it was equally wonderful and depressing to realise could be applied to so much that had been going on in the world over the past few years.

I think part of the problem is the sheer size of the subject - I've never read any Hugo (my C19 French novelist of choice is Zola) and maybe you've had no experience of Greek tragedies so a converation would be difficult.  Perhaps one of those times where individual conversations between members would be more productive?

Actually, I have a classical education (Greek and Latin in High School), so whether it's one of the Oresteian Trilogy's stories (All life is a play to the Greeks :P ) or De bello Gallico, I've probably read it.

As for Euripedes, I am most familiar with Medea (Something about a women killing her husband's new paramour and her kids, sounds like a News Headline nowadays). Even if you are gay, you can imagine a scenario where you are betrayed by your boyfriend for another guy, then you seek revenge on him. It's human nature.

Classic stories explore the human element, our triumphs and our flaws that remain despite advances in knowledge, technology, and social dynamics. Things like jealousy, greed, and war are as eternal as love, charity, and peace, neither can exist without the other to define the relative human perspective.

Edited by W_L