Question about Myspace

AFriendlyFace

So I've finally decided to take the plunge and set up a myspace account. There's just one problem: my name. I really don't care for my real name to be public information. I don't want people to be able to find me specifically by searching for my name (if they search for my user name fine, or if they bring me up as part of a blanket search for people in the area, or interests or whatever also fine). I also don't want random people reading my profile to be able to have access to my name.

So anyway I was wondering how I could prevent people from finding me in searches for my name and from finding out my name by reading my profile (I'm just talking about my real name, I don't care about whatever username I decide to make). I also don't want alot of security or advanced privacy. Offhand this is about the only thing (I'd put into the system at all) that I'm interested in keeping private. I do want people to be able to find my if they aren't specifically looking (if that makes sense) or if they're looking by user name or something. And I do want random people to be able to read my profile, i just don't want them to have access to my name.

I know it seems a little paranoid, but my (last) name and age have always been things I was hesistant to reveal online. I've mostly gotten over the age thing when it comes to places like this (and myspace for that matter), though I still don't care to reveal my age on gaming sites or random chat rooms and things.

So anyway I figured alot of you guys must know some stuff about myspace, or be better at finding that sort of thing than me. So if anyone could tell me how to make my real name (and preferably just my name) private I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks and have an awesome day everyone!

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I think it's a really good idea not to reveal your last name or age on-line. As for MySpace, you can just make up a name, in the same way you make up a username. For instance, I just set up an account for Fred Flinstone, a female born in 1980 from Antarctica. None of the information I used to sign up is true.

The url for the page is My MySpace pseudo-page and it seems I already have 1 friend, Tom. Don't know who he is or why he's my friend.

I think the important point is not to ever believe anything you read on the net 100 percent... except of course at GayAuthors. 0:)

Cheers,

Dennis

Edited by djd

Tom is your first friend because he runs the site. He is always everyones first friend. I also have a myspace page, but i've had it for a while and i have 30-some friends (all of whom i know, except for the bands). so if you need help, just pm me or something.

anna

Myspace is very tricky. I've had one for over a year now. What my friends do to have little more privacy is to set their profiles on private, if you do that only your myspace friends will be able to see. If someone ends up finding your profile, all they'll see is your username and default picture, and that's about it. I think this will be the best way. And dont put your last name on there, not a good idea. Another bad idea is to put "Gay" as your orientation, unless you want stalkers (but it probably wont matter if you set your profile on private). Leave it blank.. thats what i did on mine. I hoped that helped. doubtful though lol

Lawrence

Hehe, I see the new fad of myspace is coming to GA. I got myspace only after my friends got into it and then after i joined up. Currently i only have my friends listed (plus Tom the site creator, hehe). I am not out to my friends so that why im relecaunt (sp?) to give it out, but i also havent put on that im straight. I just left it with "Not Telling".

Okay after all that, heh.

We are proud to present our very own GA Myspace *claps* GA Myspace. Brought to you by our very own James Savik. When James gets on he will give you guys a fuller over-view since that his baby right there.

Jules :read:

What I did, is I put a consistant last name in all accounts I make. It's not my real name, nor is it even close. But it works. my friends even know it so there's no point in being stalkede

I refer to it as slutspace, and I'm entirely addicted.

I have two accounts, one public and one private. private account has 700+ friends my public about 20

I can never understand why people would have such large friends lists. Now, I've gotten a lot of friend requests (some are obviously randomly sent, others from people who I may have talked to like once in four years of high school, another from some thug :blink: who lives 2 houses down from me...). I only add people who I've 1) talked to on a regular basis and 2) actually like. I'm also pretty paranoid/antisocial when it comes to the internet so I can't fathom why people would have hundreds of "friends".

So, what's the motivation to have so many "friends"?

it seems I already have 1 friend, Tom. Don't know who he is or why he's my friend.

Tom is also from Antarctica, and since the high school there is so small, he figures he must have known you in school, but doesn't recognize your married name.

Tom is also from Antarctica, and since the high school there is so small, he figures he must have known you in school, but doesn't recognize your married name.

And he probably wouldn't recognize a current picture because of the sex change. :blink:

I can never understand why people would have such large friends lists. Now, I've gotten a lot of friend requests (some are obviously randomly sent, others from people who I may have talked to like once in four years of high school, another from some thug :blink: who lives 2 houses down from me...). I only add people who I've 1) talked to on a regular basis and 2) actually like. I'm also pretty paranoid/antisocial when it comes to the internet so I can't fathom why people would have hundreds of "friends".

So, what's the motivation to have so many "friends"?

I don't know really some people have thousands of 'friends'. For me it's like an online catalog of hot guys haha. I add hot guys or accept request from hot guys that's pretty much it. I have a personal page as well and on that one I only add people I know.

Thanks for the advice everyone....I guess I'll just have to make a fake last name <_<

We are proud to present our very own GA Myspace *claps* GA Myspace. Brought to you by our very own James Savik. When James gets on he will give you guys a fuller over-view since that his baby right there.

Ohh grrr! I was so excited, but I can't get the page to load :(:thumbdown:

Take care everyone and have a great day!

Kevin Aimeson (I'm practicing :boy: )

• 2 weeks later...
So I've finally decided to take the plunge and set up a myspace account. There's just one problem: my name. I really don't care for my real name to be public information. I don't want people to be able to find me specifically by searching for my name (if they search for my user name fine, or if they bring me up as part of a blanket search for people in the area, or interests or whatever also fine). I also don't want random people reading my profile to be able to have access to my name.

So anyway I was wondering how I could prevent people from finding me in searches for my name and from finding out my name by reading my profile (I'm just talking about my real name, I don't care about whatever username I decide to make). I also don't want alot of security or advanced privacy. Offhand this is about the only thing (I'd put into the system at all) that I'm interested in keeping private. I do want people to be able to find my if they aren't specifically looking (if that makes sense) or if they're looking by user name or something. And I do want random people to be able to read my profile, i just don't want them to have access to my name.

I know it seems a little paranoid, but my (last) name and age have always been things I was hesistant to reveal online. I've mostly gotten over the age thing when it comes to places like this (and myspace for that matter), though I still don't care to reveal my age on gaming sites or random chat rooms and things.

So anyway I figured alot of you guys must know some stuff about myspace, or be better at finding that sort of thing than me. So if anyone could tell me how to make my real name (and preferably just my name) private I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks and have an awesome day everyone!

Kevin

Kevin...i have myspace as well...and was concerned at to leaving my real name on the site. All i did to fix that was use an email account as my first and last name..and yes there is privacy settings on there such as you getting notified before anyone can post things on your site. If you need any help with that, i would be glad to see if i can help..take care

Kevin...i have myspace as well...and was concerned at to leaving my real name on the site. All i did to fix that was use an email account as my first and last name..and yes there is privacy settings on there such as you getting notified before anyone can post things on your site. If you need any help with that, i would be glad to see if i can help..take care

Thank you, eternity, that's a really good idea. I was also considering just "breaking down" and using some sort of pseudonym. I haven't really gone beyond the initial steps as of yet, but I appreciate the information and I'll PM if you if I have any questions :) Thanks very much!

Have an awesome day and take care,

Kevin

Why do some people have so many friends? I don't know. I personally have millions because if a person seems cool (or seemed cool to a year younger me), I would add them. Or if I know them. Or if I plan on getting to know them (and end up failling). It's very simple, you just click a button. So yeah, I ended up having over 300 friends, but that doesn't make me a myspace slut (ok, maybe it does).

Hmm...myspace did help once. The first friend I made in my new school (who also made sure I wouldn't come to the school fully unprepared), I met through myspace.

As to your name, dear Kev: No one will be able to know what your name is, even if they're your friend. Your profile doesn't display it. On the other hand, if some creepy starbucks employee memmorized your name off of you credit card and decided to find you, he could find you through the search...but he'll have to know your name. Then again, you don't have to put your name up there.

No one truly understands myspace...I mean, I don't think it really has a point. Doesn't stop it from being fun.