Fundamentalist Ministers and Homosexuality

Jack Scribe

Here are excerpts from this morning's Denver Post:

Hidden life again claims a pastor

In a tearful videotaped message Sunday to his congregation, the senior pastor of a thriving evangelical mega church in south metro Denver confessed to sexual relations with other men and announced he had voluntarily resigned his pulpit.

A month ago, the Rev. Paul Barnes of Grace Chapel in Douglas County preached to his 2,100-member congregation about integrity and grace in the aftermath of the Ted Haggard drugs-and-gay-sex scandal. Now, the 54-year-old Barnes joins Haggard as a fallen evangelical minister who preached that homosexuality was a sin but grappled with a hidden life.

"I have struggled with homosexuality since I was a 5-year-old boy," Barnes said in the 32-minute video, which church leaders permitted The Denver Post to view. "... I can't tell you the number of nights I have cried myself to sleep, begging God to take this away."

Here are excerpts from this morning's Denver Post:

Hidden life again claims a pastor

In a tearful videotaped message Sunday to his congregation, the senior pastor of a thriving evangelical mega church in south metro Denver confessed to sexual relations with other men and announced he had voluntarily resigned his pulpit.

A month ago, the Rev. Paul Barnes of Grace Chapel in Douglas County preached to his 2,100-member congregation about integrity and grace in the aftermath of the Ted Haggard drugs-and-gay-sex scandal. Now, the 54-year-old Barnes joins Haggard as a fallen evangelical minister who preached that homosexuality was a sin but grappled with a hidden life.

"I have struggled with homosexuality since I was a 5-year-old boy," Barnes said in the 32-minute video, which church leaders permitted The Denver Post to view. "... I can't tell you the number of nights I have cried myself to sleep, begging God to take this away."

I spent one year of my life living with Born-Again Christians, who were not really consistent over time with the things they preached. As long as you fear hell more than you love life, it'll be difficult to spread joy and happiness around you. I'm as puzzled as Rick by the fact that this guy acknowledges his homosexuality and still want to live with guilt and repentance. As if he had done something nasty when he was 4 and Satan came to curse him with being gay... :rolleyes:

Im religious and i believe in god, but NOT in the catholic church. I have too many problems with them to even get into. But i will say this, the bible was meant to be interpreted. If you cant see that there are metaphors and similies in the bible then you need to wake up. It wasnt meant to be taken literally (fundamentalists).

The bible is not all correct. Yes, the IDEAS are right, but not literally. And for those who dont believe me, take the creation of the world written in the bible. God created everything one day at a time. But god didnt create the sun until the forth day? How can someone measure a day (by our standards) without the sun?!?!?! The idea is everything was created one at a time with space in between the creation of each thing.

But enough out of me already, im not preaching and im not trying to prove a point other than you can be gay and be Christian or catholic or w/e. Everytime i see religion talked about by gays it seems to me like they hate religion because they hate gays. NOT AT ALL. The people that follow the religion hate gays (not all but u get wat im saying).

IDK, wat i guess im trying to say is dont blame the religions beliefs (most are all open and greeting to gays), but hate the person's ideas who follow that religion. Religion is what you make it, its not set in stone.

Just getting stuff my chest,

Ian

I didn't have the feeling that anyone in the thread hated religion. This minister's position is just a bit weird. I think you may (you should?) get along with people regardless of their gender, nationality, political views, religious beliefs or sexual orientation.

I might have problems getting along with someone who will be self righteously Christian/ Catholic and run his business in blatant denial of everything written in the Gospels (like not paying overtime or firing people unfairly), not only because of his morals towards sex, though sex in general, not only gay sex, is usually a big problem in monotheist religions. Hypocrisy is the biggest problem.

Some people are religious and happy, and above all, they don't want to force their faith upon others. Sadly enough, there are also many examples of organized religions (not only Christian) who restrain people's individual liberties and do not seem very eager to have individuals develop fully as free and happy beings.

If this subject is too touchy, is there a blog that discusses these issues, actually bordering on politics?

But enough out of me already, im not preaching and im not trying to prove a point other than you can be gay and be Christian or catholic or w/e. Everytime i see religion talked about by gays it seems to me like they hate religion because they hate gays. NOT AT ALL. The people that follow the religion hate gays (not all but u get wat im saying).

IDK, wat i guess im trying to say is dont blame the religions beliefs (most are all open and greeting to gays), but hate the person's ideas who follow that religion. Religion is what you make it, its not set in stone.

Just getting stuff my chest,

Ian

Hooray for you, Ian! :great: I get EXACTLY what your saying. What gets me is the fundamentalist preachers like this guy using literal interpretations of outdated diatribe like you were talking about to convince thousands to condemn millions, and then this guy like so many others turns out to be a hypocritical baffoon that's as gay as they come. Then the fool has the audacity not only to deny that he was made that way, but that anyone can be "naturally" gay. Like this guy "chose" to be gay at five years old. -- I digress.

I applaud your honesty and your faith. Way to go Ian! :2thumbs:

hugs :hug:

Rick

Everytime i see religion talked about by gays it seems to me like they hate religion because they hate gays. NOT AT

To be clear yes some gays do hate Christians, it's cause of parents condemning them, or communities where they are not allowed in certain domination of Christanti. Although some gays are very relgious, some that are sicked that there also gay and never want to be with anyone, for myself I believe in god, I don't like many churches and usally doesn't get along with relgious people, it really bugs me when they shove it down my throat.

WOW, i didnt think what i said could cause so many repercussions such as the replies lol. Its just i always here how gays hate religion (ive never heard otherwise till i got here to GA). So i just figure id point it out lol.

Thanks to all,

*takes a bow*

Ian ^_^

Edited by The Reaper

Another fascinating article, from the New York Times, about gay evangelical Christians trying to reconcile two discordant aspects of their lives:

December 12, 2006

Gay and Evangelical, Seeking Paths of Acceptance

By NEELA BANERJEE

RALEIGH, N.C.

I don't really care for or about religions per see. People can subscribe to any mythology, superstition or misguided notions they feel comfortable with.

My problem is when believers in sky-god cults use their money and power to inflict their religion on everyone else- by this I mean restricting the civil rights of people who are on their sky-daddy's s**t list. At this point I will stop because I don't want to step in any political BS.