We're represented in the UN!

Formosa

Sorry if this touches on the political, but for the first time ever since the establishment of the UN gays (lesbians, bi-s and transgenders) have representation and the right to vote! :2thumbs:

Yes, alongside the 2800 or so non-governmentanl organisations, like the 'International Association of University Presidents', 'Crime Stoppers International', and the 'International Tea Committee', three gay interest organisations have been granted 'consultative status', meaning they can take part in UN conferences and press for more action to protect the rights of LGBT community.

Plans to include gay-interest NGOs have been tabled for a long time, but time and time again rejected because of pressure from conservative countries and church-based groups. But this year three European based NGOs managed to gain enough support and votes to gain their rightful place in the Ecosoc.

Amazing it took some 61years for the UN to recognise that gays need representation too....but we need to start somewhere.

Now that's what I call 'taxation with representation' ! 0:)

take care,

David

(there's more on the ins and outs of the decision on my blog if you're interested)

Amazing it took some 61years for the UN to recognise that gays need representation too....

(there's more on the ins and outs of the decision on my blog if you're interested)

Hey David

Where can I find your blog ?

Living in Geneva (european office of UN), I would like to meet the representatives of the three European based NGOs to check how they organised their lobbying to success.

Old bob

Edited by old bob