Holy Harry, Batman!

Myr

A friend of mine mailed me a B&W print of Dan Radcliffe in Equus with his dangly bits in full display. I can't post it here because it shows his dangly bits. Everything is nice. B):P:o:*)

Colin :boy:

Well, someone had fun with Photoshop.

It's a pretty good fake, though.

glomph,

Why do you think it's a fake? He really does appear full-frontal-nude in Equus, and is on-stage for an extended period of time unclothed. This scene is really a scene from Equus. It was originally written to be played by someone totally unclothed, but is usually played with the actor wearing a g-string with a pouch. They put on Equus in SF last year and had the actor unclothed, but he was considerably older than Dan. Here's a less revealing pic than the one of Dan:

EquusSF.jpg

Colin :boy:

Hi all,

Just a friendly reminder, nude pictures of anyone should not be uploaded to any part of GA nor should they be directly linked to.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill or anything, and of course discussions of the play and actors are fine, let's just save the graphic illustrations for elsewhere :)

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Why do you think it's a fake? He really does appear full-frontal-nude in Equus,

True.

and is on-stage for an extended period of time unclothed.

True.

This scene is really a scene from Equus.

Not true. That is a real horse in the picture, if we are talking about the same picture (the one I saw from the link).

There is no real horse in the play, but a stylized one (a guy wearing a wire-frame horse head).

I saw the play on Broadway years ago. From what I've read, they haven't altered the play to have real horses on stage.

The picture in question is based on one of the publicity shots for the current London production. Dan may have well been nude during the photo shoot, but this picture stopped just above the pubic area. The linked picture looks like a composite of three pictures.

I saw the play on Broadway years ago. From what I've read, they haven't altered the play to have real horses on stage.

I think there might be a very good practical reason for that:

I've been around horses much of my life, and one thought crossed my mind right away: As a purely practical matter, having a horse involved in a state production would be exceedingly difficult. The horse could easily be spooked by the lighting and strange surroundings, and it's actions would be unpredictable.

As far as I know, animals are rarely used in stage productions due to the unpredictability factor. Does anyone know of a play where they do use animals, especially large ones?

THEY USE A DOG IN ANNIE!!!

hahaha... that's the only one I can think of...

Well, I've seen some shows where they use birds. Nothing big though. I've also heard of plays where they walk animals across the stage, but its nothing major.

I actually like the idea of them not using real horses. Its pretty symbolic.

Its pretty symbolic.

Exactly. The stylized staging--no scenery, symbolic horse person, nudity, symbolic sex, etc.--is a big part of the impact of the play. On Broadway, there were bleachers on the back of the stage so that a small part of the audience is facing you, thus emphasizing that what you are seeing is not real in real time.

Real horses, even if practical, would have detracted from that, and, hey, might have blocked the view of the young nude actor and actress.

The setting of the play is the investigation by the psychiatrist, so that what you see is a recollection of what happened that fateful night.

I have no idea what they did in the movie. I avoided seeing it. Very "stagey" plays don't generally translate well to the screen.