Computer Monitors

Drewbie

I would like to get rid of my Crt screen and get a nice flatscreen, Do you have any recommendations for which brand, I looking for around 20" widescreen.

Go for:

Highest contrast ratio, 600:1 or better.

Fastest refresh rate, esp for games, 6 ms or faster

Widescreen or 4:3?

> if widescreen, at least 1680 x 1050

> if 4:3, at least 1600 x 1200

Pixel pitch, at least 0.258 mm or smaller

Brightness, at least 300 cd/m2

Inputs, at least DVI-D, VGA 15 pin D-sub; S-video, component, composite are required if you're going to use it with a TV tuner card or cable/satellite box

Built-in speakers, I say NO, they can cause distortion in the picture when you crank up the volume, sound is usually pretty crappy

Last but not least, the warranty, how long, do they do an exchange, how many dead pixels and where (bad requirement: there have to be 7 dead pixels in a group otherwise 15 anywhere) before they'll replace it, does the warranty include the backlight and if so for how long. READ the warranty before buying! Or, buy a store extended exchange warranty (CompUSA has this) but figure that cost into your price comparisons.

If I was going to buy an LCD display right now, I'd go for the NEC MultiSync 20WMGX2 20" wide-format LCD PC/TV Display. It's really expensive, $599.99 list, there's a $30 rebate at Frys.com, NewEgg.com has it for $569.99. It has a 1600:1 contrast ratio, 470 cd/m2 brightness, 6 ms refresh rate. This is an amazing display, the best picture I've ever seen, and it works for HDTV too! You can picture-in-picture your PC and TV simultaneously. I've seen it at the Fry's store here, and I drool whenever I think about it. Some day, maybe!

Colin :boy:

i wont suggest any drewbie as i am not in the US but when i was buying my PC everyone recommended not getting one with built in speakers as they are not good quality if you listen to music and such from your computer. it is better getting some cheap speakers seperately

I agree with Colin. NEC makes a very good monitor. A few years ago they merged with Mitsubishi and are the heir apparent to "Diamondscan". For a very long time I installed Mitsubishi monitors for my customers who bought new PCs. Of the several hundred that I installed, I replaced only 1 which was the best record of any manufactuer.

If you go NEC, be picky about the model you get. Look at some sites that rate hardware like PC magazine or Tom's Hardware and make good and sure that youb are getting exactly what you want.

I bought an HP flatscreen at a steep discount when I bought my PC. It is sturdy and steady and I have no complaints.

Stay far away from Dell screens. I mean FAR away. Dunno how their others are, but the quality of my laptop screen is so terrible I keep getting closer and closer to wanting to kick myself in the face for buying a Dell laptop to begin with.

It's not that the *quality* is bad, it's actually very decent. Bad part? They flex, bigtime. This is the second time I'm going to have to have it replaced, and I'm glad it's under warranty or I'd be giving them hell over the phone every second of every day. Basically, Dell laptops have terrible LCD's, so I'm assuming that the quality of their monitors will be just the same. I'm almost starting to think maybe Macs ARE better than PC's... :( cept they're the DEVIL! MUAH HA HA!

Thanks, colinian & James, I have looked up Nec's before,

Actually Razor I have used the apple 20" ones at school, great ones for (graphic design/Desk Top Publishing) I was doing, but they design and specs are older now, they need to update them really. I looked at viewsonics too, that's what my crt is, but Im not overly impressed with viewsonic.

Edited by Drewbie

I bought a 19" SyncMaster 940bw from Samsung last september to replace my 17" Compaq CRT. Damn that thing was a Buick. The Samsung is working nicely, but the max resolution is 1440x900, which doesn't come near tapping the power of my GeForce 7600 GT XXX, which came overclocked from the factory...

If I was going to buy an LCD display right now, I'd go for the NEC MultiSync 20WMGX2 20" wide-format LCD PC/TV Display. It's really expensive, $599.99 list, there's a $30 rebate at Frys.com, NewEgg.com has it for $569.99. It has a 1600:1 contrast ratio, 470 cd/m2 brightness, 6 ms refresh rate. This is an amazing display, the best picture I've ever seen, and it works for HDTV too! You can picture-in-picture your PC and TV simultaneously. I've seen it at the Fry's store here, and I drool whenever I think about it. Some day, maybe!

NO joke, my bro blake just bought that exact same thing. He's been bugging me all week that he can play WoW and watch his 24 at the same time........*the bastard*

Srry i have nothing better to say LMAO.