New York Times article on gay runaway youth shelters

Rigel

Reading this article made me think of lots of stories here at GA, and especially the tales spun by Vance (Vlista):

Gay Youths Find Place to Call Home in Specialty Shelters

By IAN URBINA

Published: May 17, 2007

New shelters reflect an increasing awareness of the disproportionately high number of gay youths in the homeless population and the special problems they face.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/us/17hom...xprod=permalink

--Rigel

• Site Administrator

The top two links on the NY Times article (the two Study PDF documents) are also very sobering reading....

Mark, a HUGE Thank-You for volunteering for such an important service. I'm proud of you, man!

Colin :boy:

Thank you Colin,

Laws very from state to state. In some states law there are provisions for a parent to sign over their rights (terminate the parental relationship) and quite a few parents of gay and lesbian teens try to do just that, but they are still held responsible for paying child support unless someone else adopts the child.

What I usually volunteer to do is file the appropriate paper work in a court of law and terminate their parental rights, but you better believe I make sure they pay support until that child reaches the age of majority.

Edited by MarkInAlisoViejo

It is a serious problem and not all kids get thrown out but leave out of fear.

I spent 6 months on the streets when i was just 13 before i was forced back home and in that time i saw just how many gay kids there are on the streets and heard alot of awful things that happened to them. Trouble is many kids leave their home out of fear but fall prey to people who abuse street kids.

It is good to read about these places and i hope more open and more kids hear of them, i never thought to seek out a shelter when i ran away because i never really knew of them, i hope that more kids benefeit from these places and find somewhere to belong and feel safe.

Mark

Edited by Mark_l

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Told my parents when I was 16 and they excepted me for who I am. I do have friends who have had a hard time dealing with family when it comes to their sexuality.

Depite the tragedy and pain of gay homeless kids, I'm grateful that there are peeps out there who care enough to give them a safe home and dignity. One has to wonder what the caring people would do if there weren't any people to care for.