Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aaron's Writing Prompts - 1. Prompt 300: Black Diamond

Sterling was sick to death of this mall. The mall was pretty damn sick of them, too, judging by the way all the managers glared daggers at the five of them from behind their glass storefronts, as if daring them to set foot inside, daring them to stuff their sagging, oversized Ed Hardy jeans with their worthless merchandise and make a run for it. And that’s precisely what they would do. They weren’t exactly unpredictable.

Five black teenagers dressed like thugs rarely failed to intimidate, and Sterling, the youngest of the group, loved it. He loved to see the passive fear in their light-colored eyes, the wrinkling of bright pink lips as they carefully toed the line of prejudice. Terrified at the prospect of offending them. Loathe to be labeled a racist. He loved the communal feeling of superiority when they barged into the white woman’s territory, their voices a cacophony over the pervasive thud of pop music that played everywhere. He loved when they colonized three tables at the food court, their feet propped up on the seat cushions, taking up as much space as they could, and all but the black security guards judiciously averted their eyes. He loved to force a reaction.

But every day it was the same. It had been two years since they began this almost daily routine, earning them the label of “mall rats” at school, where the words were always spoken with awe. There they were kings for their mall escapades. There, this was perceived as a brave foray into the white beyond. But today, as they made their rounds, Sterling could not shake the feeling that they were exactly what the hard-won title implied—rats. Scavengers in this familiar-but-strange utopia. Animals beneath the feet of the nice, civil young mall-goers in khaki slacks and pencil skirts and cheerleading uniforms. He gritted his teeth. Why was he suddenly so angry?

“Hey, y’all, I’m about to bounce. I got some shit to take care of,” he began suddenly, interrupting whatever conversation had been taking place around him. He had been so distracted lately. Three of his friends bade him a congenial farewell, but DeAndre, his neighbor, stopped him,

“Hey bro, you a’ight? You bein’ a stranger these past few days.”

“I’m straight. These braids be too tight or some shit.” That earned a laugh from all of them. Up until a few days ago Sterling had been sporting a rather substantial afro and his sister had spent two days braiding it for him. He liked the groomed appearance much better.

He took off at a brisk walk for the other end of the mall, not quite ready to go home. He just needed some time to think. His friends could be so distracting.

He peered around as he walked, feeling inexplicably nervous. Accompanied by his friends, the judgmental shop owners made him feel powerful—enlightened, even—but alone he withered beneath their forbidding stares. He hunched his shoulders moodily and quickened his pace.

He wanted somewhere quiet. That was all he needed to clear his head. After a brief moment of consideration he veered off suddenly into a jewelry shop near the exit. He knew this place sold only the finest gold and gems and thus should be relatively empty.

The place was dark and cool like all the other jewelry stores, the only illumination coming from spotlights on the glass jewelry cases as well as pretentious floor lights scattered randomly throughout the room. He didn’t see an attendant, so he wandered up to the nearest case and let his eyes rove over the wealth behind the glass. He let his hand rest on the polished silver reinforcing the glass and traced it absently with his fingers.

“See anything you like?”

Her voice startled Sterling out of his stupor and he immediately jerked his hand off the case as if he’d been burned.

She laughed jovially at having scared him, revealing two rows of perfect white teeth.

“Sorry, sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you! I thought you saw me over there polishing the case.”

She was young, attractive white girl, quite similar in appearance to most of the other mall employees. Her shoulder-length caramel hair was pulled back into a neat ponytail at the nape of her neck and her nose was covered in a smattering of golden freckles. Her eyes were a soft and unreckoning brown and her name tag read “Candace.”

“Uh, that’s okay,” he stammered, still recovering from the shock. “I’s just looking around.”

“Hm,” she responded, her lips pursed. “Were you looking for something for a special occasion? Never mind, I can tell you’re trying to get rid of me so you can browse in peace. It’s just so boring in here all the time, you know? Take your time.”

Sterling was perplexed by her demeanor. She wasn’t suspicious of him at all and she actually afforded him more than a simple imperative sentence. He liked her. She was pretty. He wished she would talk to him again but he wasn’t even sure how to address someone like her. Somehow he sensed “hey you” was not going to fly.

Several more minutes passed in silence wherein he wandered aimlessly case-to-case, watching Candace mill around behind the counter. After a while she suddenly turned, a gold band in her fingers inlaid with a single, glittering black gem.

“This is a black diamond,” she informed him. “It’s the rarest kind. Do you know that it actually comes from outer space?”

Sterling looked up from the ring to Candace’s face and found her eyes sparkling with fascination. Were all white people impressed by random information?

“Uh…No, I didn’t know that.”

“It does. Well, no one has proven that conclusively, but some science guy proved that the carbon in these diamonds actually came from cosmic dust. The cosmic dust became solid over time and fell to the earth as meteorites. So they’re actually called carbonado, not diamonds, since they weren’t formed the same way as all the white diamonds. But I think they’re just as beautiful, and they’re a hundred times as rare. They aren’t even from this planet!” she exclaimed.

Sterling couldn’t shake the feeling that she was telling him all this for a reason, but why he could not guess. Was she making fun of him? She knew he couldn’t afford a black diamond. She should know just by looking at him. Hell, he couldn’t afford anything at this mall, let alone a diamond, black or white.

“… That’s cool,” he began slowly. “Why are you telling me this?”

She shrugged.

“Like I said, I get bored. I also like to think I have particularly good taste in jewelry. Old ladies think so, anyway. That’s why I got this job. I dunno, I just thought you might like it. It seemed perfect for you and I think they’re really interesting.”

“They are,” he affirmed, hoping she would be encouraged to talk to him more. It really was beautiful. Although it didn’t sparkle like other gemstones, it was a perfect, infinite black, so dark it seemed it could swallow you.

“Aren’t they?” She sighed wistfully and held the gemstone close to the light. “Natural black diamonds, although they are the rarest and most beautiful, are by far the most difficult to cut. Pretty ironic, right? They fracture very, very easily. But if you’re careful and you cut them just right, well. You can see how beautiful the end product is for yourself.”

Sterling thought of his friends and then of himself. He looked up at the girl in confusion.

“Just some fun little facts. Let me know if you’d like to see anything else. I have tons of useless information about all these gems.” She smiled brightly, replaced the ring in its case, and went about cleaning.

Sterling lingered in the shop for a while longer. His eyes kept straying back to the black diamond, raised above the gems surrounding it on a little satin pedestal, unapologetic and black and resplendent among the sea of glittering white.

“It wasn’t useless, miss Candace. You should tell more people ‘bout those diamonds, I think. Thank you.” And with that, he left, feeling alone but somehow less empty.

Sterling did not return to the mall for a very long time but when he did he walked with his back straight and his head high, and he searched hopefully for Candace in the dark depths of the upscale jewelry store, but he found her replaced by a smiling young man instead, and he hoped fervently that she was well.

Copyright © 2014 Aaron Penrose; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks for a glimpse into the head of a young mind just about to admit another layer of complexity into his familiar but increasingly unrewarding model of life. Many fun images, one of my favorites being colonizing the lunch spot. :P You're care with language led me to note the adjective "dark" in the final sentence. The store is probably brightly lit. My take: forbiddingly unfamiliar, uncomfortably foreign, a place Sterling would have resisted earlier, but now he enters with back straight and head high (and probably jeans not sagging :P ). Nice.

Link to comment

I'm always glad to see someone pick up a prompt and give it a try. Congratulations on completing your first prompt story, Aaron. I too enjoyed your tale. I loved the fact that nothing was quite what you expected any where along the line. I enjoy an author who can keep his audience guessing without making them feel they missed something important. Nicely done. Loved your use of language here. I hope to see you contribute more.

Link to comment

Candace was a rare jewel herself. She made Sterling think about things that he always assumed. Life throws you some curve balls, even in the form of a friendly sales lady and knowledge that attracts you to the item and to the person giving you the information. Great take on the prompt. Like it very much :)

Link to comment

Very nice, Aaron. The interposing of the description of the black diamond as metaphor was well done.

since they weren't formed the same way as all the white diamonds. But I think they're just as beautiful, and they're a hundred times as rare.

 

Wonderful use of words!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/12/2014 07:05 AM, Ron said:
Very nice, Aaron. The interposing of the description of the black diamond as metaphor was well done.
since they weren't formed the same way as all the white diamonds. But I think they're just as beautiful, and they're a hundred times as rare.

 

Wonderful use of words!

Thank you! I was worried I was forcing the extended metaphor a bit much, so that's reassuring.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/12/2014 03:48 AM, joann414 said:
Candace was a rare jewel herself. She made Sterling think about things that he always assumed. Life throws you some curve balls, even in the form of a friendly sales lady and knowledge that attracts you to the item and to the person giving you the information. Great take on the prompt. Like it very much :)
So glad you enjoyed it. Life can be funny that way, can't it? Moments that seem insignificant at the time turn out to be the ones that influence us most. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/11/2014 04:25 PM, comicfan said:
I'm always glad to see someone pick up a prompt and give it a try. Congratulations on completing your first prompt story, Aaron. I too enjoyed your tale. I loved the fact that nothing was quite what you expected any where along the line. I enjoy an author who can keep his audience guessing without making them feel they missed something important. Nicely done. Loved your use of language here. I hope to see you contribute more.
Thank you! And thank you for a great prompt that inspired me to make something I'm really proud of.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/11/2014 01:02 PM, knotme said:
Thanks for a glimpse into the head of a young mind just about to admit another layer of complexity into his familiar but increasingly unrewarding model of life. Many fun images, one of my favorites being colonizing the lunch spot. :P You're care with language led me to note the adjective "dark" in the final sentence. The store is probably brightly lit. My take: forbiddingly unfamiliar, uncomfortably foreign, a place Sterling would have resisted earlier, but now he enters with back straight and head high (and probably jeans not sagging :P ). Nice.
Actually my word choice there was totally random, lol. I worked in a mall for several years and I remember all of the nice jewelry stores there being really dark with a spotlight on the goods. But I'm glad you read into it more than I did! You make an interesting point. Perhaps he was attracted more to that store in particular because it was so dark inside, offering him a refuge from the anxieties in the brighter mall. Thank you for the review!
Link to comment

What a wonderful odd couple.  The dialogue seemed real, the setting have seen many times, but the interaction, just flowed as it can.

Bored Candace, wanting someone to talk to, and Sterling, nice name, especially good for a jewelry store scene, trying to get something enlightening into his life.  

Perhaps Sterling is merely dulled by his "mall rat" existence, and needs some shining up, silver is like that, easily dulled.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..