Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 263 Words
  • 137 Views
  • 1 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

1940, 1970 and Today – plus other poems - 14. Kinmokusei

.

Poem No. 36 [13]

 

Tanka:

 

The first moment down

Amid the squeal of the bar;

But dark and quiet,

All eyes fall to Hubert's arms,

While he looks only at me.

 

 

 

Poem No. 37

 

The less oppressed are we,

The greater we rise

To the occasion of

Our liberty.

 

 

 

Poem No. 38

 

There is no beauty like

that of man himself;

no god his better,

no devil his equal.

 

(Original, crossed-out version:)

 

There is no beauty

like unto man himself;

no god as powerful,

no devil as accountable.

 

 

 

Poem No. 39 [14]

 

Tanka:

 

In the street or train,

The smell of autumn’s peaches

Finds me still and rich,

To remind me life, like they,

Fall swift as kinmokusei.

 

spacer.png

 

 

~

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------

[13] “The first moment down” Hubert was a bartender at Arty-Farty, a foreigner-friendly bar and dance club in Tokyo’s Gay neighborhood, Shinjuku Ni-Chome [pronounced Knee-Cho’may]. From Hong Kong, he cut a striking figure. Tall, handsome, slightly cross-eyed, he spent much time at the gym honing his impeccably sculpted arms, the upper parts of which he showcased by only wearing muscleman Ts when he worked. We'd sometimes go have coffee on his breaks, or something stronger after the bars closed at 2 a.m.

[14] “In the street or on the train” The kinmokusei (金木犀) referenced is to the plant Osmanthus fragrans. The orange blossoms of this smaller-sized tree appear in October with the most enchanting scent imaginable.

_

Copyright © 2023 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..