Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 419 Words
  • 306 Views
  • 0 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lorca's "Ode to Walt Whitman" - Prologue. Prologue

.

Pride is about celebrating who we are today and recognizing the pioneers who blazed the way to make things easier. Sometimes this requires the reclaiming of Gay works of art the repressive straight society has twisted to suit its own ends of repressing us; of keeping us divided from ourselves, and of keeping us under-educated about our own culture, history, politics and heroes.

The great Spanish modern poet Federico García Lorca came to America in the 1920s. He published a collection of poems about his experiences here in 1927, and arguably the marquee poem from the set is Oda a Walt Whitman. This is an interesting date, for just at this moment, an American publisher was tried and convicted for publishing pornography. His 'crime'? Bringing out Radclyffe Hall's groundbreaking novel of a female couple finding a happily-ever-after. It was this part of the story not any of the English woman's language that was condemned as obscene. And English courts agreed, as Hall never dared publish the novel in her homeland. (It, like all the best literature of England of the day, was published in Paris.)
 
The oldest translation I can find of Oda a Walt Whitman printed in the U.S. dates to 1955, when Poetry Magazine ran one. However, the version they published was totally misleading, twisting the poem so it reads as a diatribe against Gay people; ignoring the fact that Lorca was one 'of them' and not inclined to hate on his own. Nevertheless, this was and has been the only way the Oda has been seen in English since 1955. What BS.
 
Lorca's poem is a great spoken-word tribute to Walt Whitman, and acknowledges the icon-status Gay people have always felt for the man who was out in the middle of the 19th century. Lorca's tone is one of ironic embracing of all the shades of the LGBT+ Community he saw vibrant and alive in New York when he was there. In fact, the poem presents New York as Whitman's living body sustaining all his children us. In the poem, he shames those who would try to shame us.
 
Here, at last, at nearly a 100 years after it was written, is a proper rendering of Lorca's tone in the poem, as well as his line lengths and all the varying metre he gave to this epic discourse of queer life in 1920s America.
 
I present this great work of Gay Pride in celebration of Pride weekend 2021. Please enjoy.
 
 
_
.
Thanks go to @JACCfor his initial encouragement of this project.
Textual Note: Because of the poem's length, I won't provide the Spanish with my translation, but you can reference the compete Oda here: https://archive.org/details/poesiavolumen300fede/page/112/mode/2up?q=walt
_
Copyright © 2021 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..