Jump to content
    Adam Thomas
  • Author
  • 797 Words
  • 1,373 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Death of an Angel - 1. Opening - Into The Void

 
 

I was raised an angel. A Heavenly being tasked with shepherding souls from mortal life into the ever after. It was my job to greet them, show them around, and leave them in the care of their loved ones who had preceded them. A tour guide for the dead, basically.

My whole story begins the 15th of May. The year isn't important but the day is. You see, I was always a bit self-involved. I was a servant of the Lord but I didn't care much about that. Would you if you got to live in Heaven and had to push papers for the privilege? I didn't think so. On that particular day, however, I broke the first rule: never leave a new arrival alone in a receiving area.

Who he was doesn't matter, nor does the way he died, how long he lived, or what kind of life he led. The only thing that did matter is that he couldn't decide on what he wanted his eternal age to be. You see, when you make it to the great ever after you get to pick the age that you want to be, the point in your life that you feel you were at your best. It’s really not that hard of a decision. You can live in the afterlife as a child, full of innocence and naivety. You could be a young adult, full of good looks and strength. You could be an elder, full of wisdom and experience.

His indecision went on for four hours. For those four hours I sat there, twiddling my thumbs (literally) until I gave up and just walked away. I couldn't take his indecision any longer and I sure as hell wasn't going to waste time on him that I could be off relaxing. So I left.

It really was only a matter of time until Dina found me. You see, she is the angel in charge of the Associated Academy of Heavenly Learning, and I knew that I broke rule one and for that I would have to learn from my err.

“It would appear Castiel, that this is becoming a problem for you.”

Damn. I knew she’d find me, but this soon? I’d barely made it past the building, had just taken my first step around the corner. I was literally caught mid-stride, one foot around the corner, one foot still holding me back.

“So it would appear, ma’am.” was my reply.

“You do realize that the penalty this time will be more severe. We must curtail this contemptuous behavior before it becomes a permanent issue.” She was beautiful, the true image of heavenly beauty, but just as unique as the rest of us. Being the agent of the Academy gave her an aura, a heavenly glow to let us know that she had ascended, that she was someone to respect.

“Yes, ma’am.” I hung my head. She could make you feel the shame without even trying.

“Walk with me Castiel.”

She started to stroll at a leisurely pace down the street, her feet never touching the ground. I followed, my head still bowed, my eyes focused on the ground at my feet.

“I do believe that I have found a unique solution for you predicament. We must help you to be more patient with others, more accepting that for some people decisions are not made lightly, that sometimes things take time. It is with that in mind that I would like to send you to the surface world as a guardian in training.”

“Wait...” A tremor ran through my voice and I stopped dead in my tracks. “You can’t! Please! I’d be willing to do anything but that!”

“I did not come to my decision lightly, my young ward. It will be a good learning experience, a chance for you to stop thinking only about yourself and to open your mind to the concerns of others. You are not alone in this punishment, nor are you alone in this problem, but you need this.” She wanted to come right out and say ‘You just don’t know it yet.’ but that would be too forward. I’d read into it and she couldn't have that.

“Yes, ma’am.” I wanted to fight this but her decision was made. It was made the moment I walked away from my duties, from that recently arrived soul back in receiving. It was simply a waste of energy to do anything other than what would be required of me, anything other than to accept the punishment she was handing down.

“Please report to the Academy.” Her hand reached out and lifted my chin. “Do not fear this. I would not assign you this task if you could not handle it. I have faith in you.”

With that she turned and strode away, leaving me staring after her.

 
 
Copyright © 2013 Adam Thomas; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

And I thought my punishment for screwing around at work was harsh! I can't wait to see what is going to happen. Looking for more! :)

Link to comment

Nice beginning. I love your grasp of first person narrative it's very easy to get drawn into the story and I want to know what happens next :)

Link to comment

I loved the beginning and the concept in general. I really liked your idea that souls choose the age they wish to be when they enter heaven. That is unique!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..