Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Assorted Nonsense - 1. Storyteller Idol - Round #1

I wrote this all in one sitting, stream of conscious with no editing. This was a free style round.
"This interview tomorrow is so important, it'll open up so many doors."
 
I paced back and forth, as much as possible in my tiny little kitchen.
 
"Take a deep breath, everything will be fine."
 
*beep*
 
*beep*
 
*beep*
 
The left over pizza was ready. I pulled it out of the microwave, sat at my one seater table and enjoyed my late night snack before bed. When I was finished, I lazily put the plate in the sink and went upstairs to get ready for bed.
 
Finally, with a sigh, I collapsed into my small but exceptionally warm bed. I grabbed my phone to check for the fiftieth time that it was set, and set early enough for me to catch the various busses I needed to catch.
 
"Relax, Russell. Take a deep breath and everything will be fine tomorrow. You'll kill it. It'll be great."
 
I closed my eyes, but couldn't fall asleep. Losing all track of time, I eventually fell into a deep sleep for the night.
 
---
 
My eyes opened slowly and my mind slowly realized what today was. Feeling extremely confident, I got up and started getting dressed. I had my clothes for today picked out a week ago, so I was ready in no time. Soon enough, I was on the bus and heading to my job interview. It was just a lowly job at a newspaper, but it was one of the most influential newspapers in the country, if not the world. Even just getting in is a huge deal, then I can work my way to the top.
 
An hour and seventeen minutes later, I arrived at the building that would, hopefully, be the building that I would come to every day for a very long time. The building was over a hundred years old, so it had those massive pillars at the front and the height was intimidating as all hell. With a deep breath, I composed myself and walked in.
 
I'll spare the details, but I killed the interview. They hired me on the spot, which is something, the interviewer said, that never happens. The last time they hired someone on the spot, they became the Chief of Politics for the entire paper.
 
I still started out in the lowly position of mail room, but quickly I climbed the ladder. Within 6 months, I was a supervisor. Under a year I was running the show in the mail room. I started writing sample articles, so within another year, I was a writer. Then they gave me my own weekly column. It was one of the most popular columns in the paper, so it became a daily one.
 
Within 5 years, I was mid-level management at the newspaper and still a rising star. By my 10 year anniversary, I was a Vice President and still managed to impress everyone. My numbers, even in the dying newspaper industry, were record breaking (for the entire company history). The CEO was casually talking about retiring in the next few years and everyone knew that I was the prime candidate for replacing him.
 
I was already meeting really important people on a weekly basis, but as CEO, all those doors would fly open and be gold plated. Instead of meeting lowly Senators, Premiers and Governors, I'd be meeting Presidents and Prime Ministers - Heads of State.
 
That's exactly what happened. When the CEO retired, he immediately appointed me as the replacement, with full Board of Directors approval. I was universally liked and had a solid business plan to ensure that the newspaper stayed alive and healthy for a very, very long time.
 
Life was amazing, and the money was fantastic. I grew to have many, many political friends and they were increasingly pushing me to get into politics, myself. They said that with my credentials and power base, I had the opportunity to go for the top job - and get it.
 
I lay in bed one night, pondering the possibility of resigning from the best thing that ever happened to me and try to have an even better thing happen to me.
 
"Can you imagine?" I asked myself. "What would it be like to be a world leader? The head honcho of a sovereign nation, in this world? One of only a select few in the world to be in such a position, and to have that opportunity? It would open up a lot of doors."
 
I drifted off to sleep, with a smile on my face, unsure what my future would hold for me.
 
---
 
*beep*
 
*beep*
 
*beep*
 
"Oh shit!" I yelled, as I bolted up.
 
Reaching for my phone, I realized that I needed to get up and get ready. I had no time to spare, I couldn't be late for this interview. It'd open a lot of doors for me in the future.
Copyright © 2014 advocatus diaboli; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm with Nossy. But, I can remember laying in bed and dreaming I was already at school:P

Interesting beginning. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..