Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Assorted Nonsense - 2. Storyteller Idol - Round #2

Once again, all written in one sitting with no editing done. Theme: "A Abandoned Ship"
Today marks the one hundredth anniversary of the empty ship that saved the human race arrived. No one knows, to this day, where it came from. The Ark, as it came to be called, was exactly what mankind needed in their darkest hours.
 
Living in the world we are blessed to be in now, it may be hard to believe the struggles and turmoil faced by our world and the people in it.
 
Hate and fear ruled the Earth. Greed was the motive behind every action and no one could trust another human being. Every action that benefited you caused harm to another. You were told, conditioned, believed that it was okay. As long as you stood to gain, your fellow human could and would suffer. They deserved it. They didn't deserve your mercy.
 
Tensions were high, before and after The Ark's arrival.
 
Beforehand, the world was on the brink of all-out nuclear war. The fingers were on the buttons, itching to press them. The hatred from each nation towards the other was palpable. You could cut the tension with a knife, the eager anticipation. Each wanted to press the button but none wanted to do it first. They all wanted war, to fight, to feel the warmth of their enemies blood as they struck them down righteously. None wanted to be the aggressor, though.
 
The Ark's arrival changed history, immediately and for everymore. It confirmed that we were not alone in the universe. Some extra terrestrial being must have come to visit us. This created more questions than it answered - some of which remain unanswered to this day.
 
Who sent the ship?
 
Why?
 
Why did they sent it when they did?
 
What do they want?
 
The ship was detected long before it entered the atmosphere. The sheer size of it prevented us from being able to stop it, so we didn't try. The intention of the alien ship was not yet known, so we did not want to risk aggrevating an otherwise peaceful visitor.
 
It's become a fixture of Wellington, New Zealand now, but at the time, the image of a massive ship floating over a tiny city in comparison was staggering. New Zealand immediately took jurisdiction over the ship and sealed it off. What followed was the largest evacuation in human history. Every single human that lived within 200 kilometers was forced to leave their homes, dropping everything they had.
 
Then, we waited. And waited.
 
It's known now that the ship was abandoned - unoccupied - but there was no way of knowing that at first. A group of United Stated SEALs were the first humans to step into the alien ship. Those brave soldiers, going into the unknown. Risking their lives to make the most important discoveries of our existance.
 
After many, many hours, finally the ship was declared empty. The floodgates of progress opened. Almost overnight, the world changed. It was a stroke of brilliant luck that New Zealand claimed ownership of the ship and all it's possessions. They did not keep the technology for themselves, instead opting to give it to all the nations of the world for free.
 
It's a long story, spanning one hundred years, to reach the point of where our society is today. To make such an epic tale a little shorter: society collectively prospered and in that collective prosperity came a collective peace.
 
This peace has been enjoyed the world over, unbroken, from almost a full one hundred years. There's been many theories about where this abandoned ship came from, but all that matters is that it saved humanity.
 
Whoever you are, that sent us The Ark, we wish to meet you one day. Every single person that's alive and well today needs to shake your hand and say "Thank-you" for giving them the glorious and precious opportunity to be alive today. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you.
Once again, all written in one sitting with no editing done. Theme: "A Abandoned Ship"
Copyright © 2014 advocatus diaboli; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I could have never imagined the Arc as a spaceship.Thanks for the different view.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..