Jump to content
    Andr0gene
  • Author
  • 700 Words
  • 9,126 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The House Always Wins - 32. Chapter 32

CHAPTER 32

I still didn't remember a single thing the next morning, as far as what happened downstairs in the bar. I remembered going there, even remembered Michael coming in, but that was about it. Nothing came to me that explained Michael's behavior that night, or from then on.

My brain still felt too heavy when I came into the kitchen, where Michael was already present, and I only had eyes for the coffeemaker, mumbling some sort of reply to his greeting.

"How's your head?" he asked, hiding a smile.
I just sent him a glare but there was that warm look again and yep, it was still confusing.

He set his empty cup down and came over to where I stood, as I skimmed the morning paper. He pushed it aside, and lifted my face with a finger underneath my chin, and planted a kiss full on my lips.

"Good morning."

"Morning," I replied, resuming my coffee.

"Ah, an actual word; he's getting there," he said. "Did you sleep well?"
I nodded, finishing the coffee and reached for the pot, for a refill. He caught my hand and took the mug from the other.

"Try water."

"No, I need coffee," I replied, trying to get the mug, "and if you wanna live out this day, you'll give me that mug or..."

"Water," he said, shaking his head, "or you'll be hyper by noon. I'm not spending my day with you high on caffeine."

"Fine. Water then and keep it coming."
He took that small victory with a smirk and went over to the sink, rinsing the mug and filling it, then handed it over and I couldn't help but toy with the idea of throwing it.

"Try it and you'll regret it," he grinned, guessing my intent. "Please try..."
I frowned and opted against it.

"Pity."
Was he flirting with me?

"So...what are we doing today?" He asked, the moment gone.
We?

"Errr... I dunno."
I pulled back a chair and sat down.

"Well, what did you do when my mother was here?"

"Shop, talk, watch TV... but talk, mostly."

"Great, so we'll talk."
He sat down opposite from me, an expectant look on his face. What...now?

"Do we have to start doing that right now, or do I get a few hours to fully join the world?" I asked, annoyed. What was with him today?

"Right now. I'd prefer to get to know the real you. If I give you a few hours, you'll just conjure up crap."
Hmmm, so he wasn't stupid.

"Alright... I'll start; hi, I‘m Michael Bartholomew Black."
He offered me his hand, reaching over the table, and taking mine, shaking it.

"Now you."

"I don't underst..."

"Humor me."
Ooookay...

"Jason Jake Carter..." I said, slowly, eying him suspiciously.
What was going on here?

"Nice to finally meet you, Jason. Where were you born?"

"Uranus...? None of your fu..."

"Don't," he interrupted. "Just... don't, please? Answer the question."

"Lebanon, PA, January 4th, 1986," I sighed, shaking my head. "And still none of your business."
He ignored that last and let go of my hand.

"London, Holland Park, July 21st, 1971," he replied, stating his own origin. "Tell me about your parents."

"Mom alive, Dad dead as a doornail. Mom remarried, a total jerk, and we moved to LA. What's with the 20 questions?"

"What kind of work did your father do before he died; when did he die and how?"
I sat back, crossing my arms in front of me, refusing to answer.

"Answer, Jason."

"You have no right asking me these questions," I said, leaning forward for emphasis.

"Actually, I do. You gave me that right last night."

"I did?"
I couldn't remember. How do you give someone that right, anyway?

"Fine. My dad was a construction worker. He died seven years ago; heart attack."

"And your mother?"

"She didn't," I said, being a smart ass.
Michael rolled his eyes but granted me that one, nodding.

"Why is everything such a battle with you?" he asked, softly.

"Why do you want to know everything about my private life?" I retorted, getting up. "I'm going to take a shower. We're done."

No corrections.
andr0gene 2004-Present
  • Like 19
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..