Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 1,349 Words
  • 1,529 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2013 - Summer - Roll the Dice Entry

JB and Me - 2. The epilogue

Well, that was a little over eight years ago.

They say that after you tell the first person it only gets easier. Whoever said that, seriously needs to get their fucking head checked by the world’s best headpeeper.

Having told JB (even after knowing his real name for eight years, it still doesn’t feel right calling him Jordan), it was only fair to tell Martin and Daphne next. Even with JB there beside me, it was the hardest thing I’ve possibly ever done. To say they were shocked was an understatement! However, they quickly got over their shock, and after realising that I was still the same little hellion dressed like an angel they’d always known and loved, life for us quickly returned to normal.

Sadly, coming out to my seemingly apathetic parents a year later, just after I had turned fifteen, was a disaster of such enormous proportions that I don’t think there has even been a word invented to describe it; even comparing it to Chernobyl or Three Mile Island would be the understatement of my life. My dad tripped off the line in the biggest way, and for the first time ever I felt physically threatened by him. He slapped me across the face and started hurling threats of all sorts at me. I took off for my bedroom and locked the door behind me. Dad was banging on the door, yelling that I’d brought shame to the family, that I didn’t love them and that I was fucking freak. I curled up in a ball as far away from the door as possible and started crying my heart out. Then I did the only thing I could think of doing, I texted JB.

Dad finally managed to break the door off the hinges and just as he lunged at me, Martin grabbed him by the arm; I had never been so grateful to see anyone. ‘What the fuck are doing Mark? That’s your son’ I remember Martin saying, and Dad replied with the words that still hurt to this day ‘That fucking faggot is no son of mine’. I remember Martin and Kris had to physically restrain Dad. Heated words were exchanged and I remember crying a lot. Dad said that I was no longer welcome at home and gave me ten minutes to pack my bags. I don’t really remember much after that, but Martin and Daphne took me in without hesitation. Even now, I still can’t get over the irony of it; the most common, most feared, and most reviled people in my hometown giving me a place to live when my own fucking parents rejected me.

After eight years, my parents and I still haven’t spoken. I heard through a friend of a friend of one of my old neighbours that Dad had a heart attack three years ago; neither he nor my mum even tried to get in touch with me. It was then and only then, that I was forced to finally accept the fact that my relationship with those who had conceived me was truly dead.

My relationship with Mikey quickly died after that night; I guess that he did not intend to have the same experience with his parents that I did with mine. I think the way my dad reacted scared him almost as much as it scared me. The last I heard, Mikey was so far in the proverbial closet that he got married to some woman and she is now expecting their third child. We haven’t really spoken to each other since that night.

Somehow, my coming out became very public, though I don’t remember the details of the how, where, when or who. I guess the fact that the events of the evening of my coming out to my parents weren’t exactly low key didn’t help; three of our neighbours reported the ‘disturbance’ to the police, Kris threatened to rip Dad’s head off, and Martin told Dad to be very careful walking the streets late at night.

Now I never laid claim to being Mr Popular at school before my coming out, and I sure as shit wasn’t Mr Popular after it. The only saving grace was JB. The first day I went back to school after having been taken in by JB and his folks, I was surrounded by five boys from the year above mine. I was a hair away from getting the shit kicked out me, when JB turned up. JB, who, God bless him, has never been one for subtlety, simply broke the nose of the biggest boy, and then asked ‘Who’s next’. After that, I was left alone.

Moving in with JB and his parents actually had one really positive outcome. I was able to spend time with JB on his schoolwork and I found out that he could actually do the work and quite easily at that, it was just that he had no desire to do it. Under my tutelage, he quickly developed such an interest in learning that he not only left school with near enough the same grades that I did (which not only surprised his parents but left our teachers breathless), I had even managed to persuade him to enrol in university with me. Seems that I wasn’t the only one who had hidden something of himself in this friendship; he was far more intellectually gifted than I ever would have known, or had ever given him credit for. He struggled through the first couple of semesters at university but he persevered, and with my help, he sailed through the rest of his degree.

I meet a great guy called Darren in my last year at university, and we got married three months ago. JB was my best man, and he really threw himself into the role. He even organised such a perverted gay bachelor party that I imagine it would have left the best Roman orgies in the shade; I still have no idea where he got such a well-equipped stripper from. Although Darren and I were two guys getting married, I still wanted Daphne to be up there with me as well. She had given me a home when I had none, she had taken me in without reservation, and she had loved me as only a mother can. So, flying in the face of more traditions than I can think of, I asked her to be my Matron of Honour.

I left university last year with a first class honours in classical studies and JB left with a lower second class honours in English Lit. JB is starting out in the field of journalism, and he has aspirations to one day be editor in chief of a newspaper; a far cry from the minimum wage job that he was probably destined for. After a year or so of travelling and general dossing, I’ve decided to continue my studies and will be starting a postgraduate degree in Egyptology next month. My dream is to one day be remembered with such names as Zahi Hawass, Howard Carter, Giovanni Battista Belzoni, and Lord Carnarvon.

I know that where ever life takes me, that what ever road I walk down, JB will always be there with me, and with that knowledge I know that I can face anything that comes my way.

I’ve often wondered what would have happened if I hadn’t told JB that day, eight years ago, that I was gay.

Would I ever have come out to him?

Would he have found out some other way, and then turned on me?

Would Mikey and I be together?

Would Mikey and I still be hiding our relationship from everyone?

Would JB now be serving people in McDonalds, instead of starting, what I hope, is going to be a high flying career for him?

Or worse, would he now be languishing in a prison cell somewhere?

Hell, would I have survived that fucking encounter with my dad?

So many questions, and so many possible answers.

All for the roll of the dice.

Copyright © 2013 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2013 - Summer - Roll the Dice Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I can't understand how anyone can treat their son like that just because he is gay - awful parents

:( I'm glad JB's family treated him like a third son :) I really liked this story, I was afraid that Kris would beat the crap out of him but glad he didn't. Being family can be much more than being "blood" family and this story showed that - well done Andy !!! :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You really turned everything upside down with this one. Glad to see he had a friend who would stand by him that had a family that wasn't as screwed up as his own. Nice job.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

An interesting addition to the main story. The parents' response is awful: really hope that this kind of thing will soon be completely a thing of the past. Thanks for sharing this story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/15/2013 09:06 AM, Slytherin said:
I can't understand how anyone can treat their son like that just because he is gay - awful parents

:( I'm glad JB's family treated him like a third son :) I really liked this story, I was afraid that Kris would beat the crap out of him but glad he didn't. Being family can be much more than being "blood" family and this story showed that - well done Andy !!! :hug:

Thanks for the review hun :hug:

 

I've never been a believer in the saying that blood is thicker is water. When I was younger I was always being told that I liked my best friend more than I liked my parents :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/15/2013 11:44 AM, comicfan said:
You really turned everything upside down with this one. Glad to see he had a friend who would stand by him that had a family that wasn't as screwed up as his own. Nice job.
I enjoyed flipping things around in this one. Just because a family has everything it doesn't mean they are good people, and vice versa. Something too easy to forget.

 

I had a couple of friends similar to JB growing up, but I wouldn't have traded them for anything.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Forgot to check the epilogue ..oops. After reading this I stick by what I said last chapter. I never really liked Scotts parents they didn't seem to really appreciate their son. Whereas JB's parents may not have been the most conventional like Scotts were supposed to be but they wholeheartedly loved their sons and engulfed Scott with that same encompassing love. I'm glad that scott and JB kept that closeness between them, just look at what they accomplished because of that special close essential and love. This story is beautiful and actually very inspirational in many ways. Scott lost his birth parents and a boyfriend but with roll of a dice he got a phenomenal family and a husband, JB got a chance a a stellar career and JB's family got a great son....i would take that roll of the dice any day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thank you for answering the 'And now? How will Jb's family and his parents react? Will they really be best-friends-forever?'

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The happy ending I loved, but the sadness of this story is :worship: that it happens more than any of us will ever know. It would be nice if everyone that needed it, had a JB, but unfortuantely, they don't and have to take their chance and suffer the consequences on their own. Scott's parents were not his mother and father, but just a sperm donor and delivery woman. I say that in a sincere tone. "hops up soapbox" Enjoyed your story from beginning to end

  • Like 1
Link to comment

a great story. I like that it is not the standard fare and at the same time doesn't rely on any gimmicks. Really sold writing!!

thanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/16/2013 01:23 AM, carringtonrj said:
An interesting addition to the main story. The parents' response is awful: really hope that this kind of thing will soon be completely a thing of the past. Thanks for sharing this story.
I think we as a people are getting there, and I have the same hope that one day things will be perfect.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/18/2013 12:36 AM, joann414 said:
The happy ending I loved, but the sadness of this story is :worship: that it happens more than any of us will ever know. It would be nice if everyone that needed it, had a JB, but unfortuantely, they don't and have to take their chance and suffer the consequences on their own. Scott's parents were not his mother and father, but just a sperm donor and delivery woman. I say that in a sincere tone. "hops up soapbox" Enjoyed your story from beginning to end
Thanks hun :)

 

I'm glad you enjoyed the story. That's happy endings to two anthologies this year,here's hoping to make it two more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/27/2013 02:45 PM, Stephen ODonohue said:
Great story Andy. Thank you.

 

Stephen

Thanks for the review Stephen.

 

Glad you liked it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/16/2013 06:15 AM, Daithi said:
Forgot to check the epilogue ..oops. After reading this I stick by what I said last chapter. I never really liked Scotts parents they didn't seem to really appreciate their son. Whereas JB's parents may not have been the most conventional like Scotts were supposed to be but they wholeheartedly loved their sons and engulfed Scott with that same encompassing love. I'm glad that scott and JB kept that closeness between them, just look at what they accomplished because of that special close essential and love. This story is beautiful and actually very inspirational in many ways. Scott lost his birth parents and a boyfriend but with roll of a dice he got a phenomenal family and a husband, JB got a chance a a stellar career and JB's family got a great son....i would take that roll of the dice any day.
Thanks Daithi.

 

I think my other reply covers everything.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I just read this for the second time and enjoyed it even more. This clearly expresses the conflicts and anxiety a gay teen experiences and the importance of friendship.

Thank you so much for helping me ncrease my level of understanding

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..