Jump to content
    BlackInkRain
  • Author
  • 1,050 Words
  • 578 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rebellion of December - 4. Frost

With a slow, steady breath of the cool night air, Felix gazed up at the star-lit sky. He was sitting on the roof of their base, which June had warned him he shouldn't do, but he wanted to see the stars so badly. At the time, he thought he was alone up there, until there was the distinct sound of a book snapping shut. He jumped and sat up quickly, looking around until he laid eyes on someone he hadn't met before. "You must be July. . ." he said softly. July was only person who had been absent from any meals that day, and rather scarce when June went around introducing him to anyone.
 
July nodded, giving a friendly smile, although his eyes didn't show it. They remained full of curiosity, and slightly guarded. "You must be Felix," He spoke in return, in an equally soft voice. "What are you doing up here?" There was nothing accusing about his tone, simply guarded curiosity, which was respectable.
 
"I just wanted to see the stars," Felix said honestly, pointing upward. "I've. . . spent a lot of time not being able to, and I nearly forgot what they even look like. It's nice to see them again."
 
"Ah. . . ." July stood, striding over and sitting next to him. "Well June will fuss at you for being up here, especially at night, but don't worry. I've made sure they can't detect us while we're up here any better than while we're inside. This place is totally camouflaged from top to bottom." He looked up at the sky almost longing in the way he sighed and gazed up there. "The stars are pretty anyway."
 
"Yeah, they're beautiful. . ." Felix agreed with a nod, lying back again. He smiled faintly, "I've missed them. . . so much."
 
Silence settled for several minutes before July spoke up again. "I've read up on you. Felix Fallair," he said, tapping a small portable computer device at his belt. "Brought up in the colony of Stella, home of the astronomers," he glanced at the boy sitting beside him, "They took you from your home, didn't they?"
 
Felix sighed weakly, sitting up again and looking at July, "Yeah, they did, and I don't remember home all that well. It was ten years ago. I was only five years old." He grimaced, "All I remember was that I loved to lie out in the grass and gaze up at the stars. I don't even remember if I had a family or not. I guess not. If they were important to me I should have been able to remember."
 
July nodded slightly, "What. . . exactly were they experimenting on you for?" He asked curiously, "I've been trying to find out, but that information is very difficult to maintain. Either they're working especially hard to guard it, or it's already been destroyed. Whatever it is, we do kind of need to know. If you've been infected by nanobots like November or December, that's something we would need to be made aware of."
 
"I don't know," Felix said honestly, "I'm not really sure what they did to any of us. I never was able to tell what differences were made, and it wasn't easy to find that out from the scientists either. They said a bunch of big words that I couldn't understand. Such as biomeckestry and cat-list. . . ."
 
July chuckled, "I think you mean biochemistry and catalyst. Which are two of the simpler words you probably heard." He put a hand on Felix's shoulder, "Sorry. . . you probably don't want to be thinking about that stuff, huh?" He mumbled, "Just. . . we do need to know, sooner rather than later."
 
"I get it," Felix grumbled, removing his hand and scooting away just a bit. "But I don't know. And this whole sympathy thing isn't working out so well for me either. Can we just drop it?" His tone was pleading. He really didn't have any desire to discuss this, especially with someone like July. He seemed to have that same curiosity in his eyes that he saw in some of the scientists. Like he wanted to dissect him and then put him back together then do it all over again. He didn't need to go through that agony. He had enough scars as it was from all the other horrible things they'd done to him 'in the name of science'.
 
"Fine, fine, I'll back off." July let his hands drop into his lap. "It's getting late, and cold. You really need to head inside. Both of us do. June will start to worry."
 
"I don't want to go yet," Felix grumbled, like a stubborn young child, "You go ahead."
 
July frowned, standing, "Oh come on you can come out again tomorrow night to see the stars. Or I could show you countless images and holograms," he added, "You'll catch your death out here." After all, Felix was wearing nothing but a short sleeved shirt and sweat pants. He didn't even have shoes, and the air was getting to freezing temperatures.
 
"The cold doesn't bother me," Felix grumbled.
 
"Seriously kid you--" July had reached out and grabbed him by the arm, but he cut off mid-sentence and jerked his hand back with a yelp. It burned like he was touching something incredibly cold. And he was. He stared at his hand and the ice crystals forming on his skin. "What the hell?!"
 
"What?!" Felix scrambled to his feet, stumbling back from him. He staggered, "Ow, shit!" His face twisted into an expression of intense pain and he crumpled to the ground. Where was all this ice coming from? He started to shiver and shake.
 
July gasped and rushed to him, taking off his jacket and putting it around him. "November!" He called out loudly, starting for the door in the roof which led down into the building. "November!" He called again, struggling to keep ahold of Felix. The boy was writhing in obvious pain and the jacket was starting to become covered in frost. It hurt to touch, but July couldn't just leave him like this.
Copyright © 2014 BlackInkRain; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..