Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I Wrote This While You Slept - 2. Chapter 2

NOELLE

I don’t like it; death. It’s nothing like what you think it is. There’s something numbing and…lifeless about it. Ha! Lifeless, get it? I don’t like it one bit. I want to go back and feel again. All of it, even the bad parts. The smell of the freshly shaved grass on the pitch, the scalding hot tea from the cafeteria on my tongue, the freezing morning air on my skin, the taste of metallic blood in my mouth when I’m struck by the ball in the middle of the game. Funny how I used to loathe some of those things. What I wouldn’t give now to just play one more game. To drink one more hot tea. To feel…

It’s quite boring here in this limbo that I’m in. Somewhere between life and death. Most people move on right away. But I decided to stick around. Well, I think I decided. It’s difficult to explain the way things happen around here. But after my soul left my body, I simply made up my mind to stay. Why? For you, of course. I told you that I’d love you in this life and the next, and I meant it. Therefore, I can’t leave. Not without you.

The only good part of this not-feeling thing is that I can’t feel the pain of losing you. I can only imagine it. If I was still on Earth and I had lost you, I would be on the floor sobbing my eyes out in front of Sophie and India. I would be beyond heartbroken. But here, there’s no such thing as crying. There’s just…being. I wonder whether I would have preferred to be given a chance to at least say goodbye to you first. To at least look at your face one last time. Oh, how I used to obsess over every single speck of you. How I’d stare at you in class, draw you in my notebooks, and then dream of you in my sleep. You were with me at all times, whether you knew it or not.

The times we spent together were the best moments of my short life. And I don’t regret them. Not the way you do. It’s unfortunate, the way things had to end between us. All because of my letter.

I sound wiser now, don’t I? Almost as if the girl that wrote that letter did it in another lifetime altogether. That’s another perk of this place I suppose; you gain knowledge you didn’t have before.

You’ve made many mistakes. Loving me was just the first one. And now that you’ve caused my death, my love, how are you going to cover it up?

Copyright © 2021 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The catholic concept of limbo always gave me the creeps. As a kid I imagined people stuck in their graves for thousands of years. I wonder if Noelle can watch what’s happening on Earth from her place in limbo or if she’s just kinda ... stuck.


What could Noelle have said in that letter? I’m so curious. It sounds like it could have been a breakup letter. A letter to say she cheated? Or a stalker letter? Ha. I have no idea and I’m looking forward to finding out...
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This chapter reminds me of Jean Paul Sartre's short story "No Exit" in that Noelle is cognizant of her state because she is still in the memory of someone.  Well done.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..