Jump to content
    C James
  • Author
  • 585 Words
  • 3,673 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Spring - People Are Strange Entry

Not Like Us - 1. Not Like Us

“What about the party this weekend? Is it still on?” Billy asked, casting a cautious glance over his shoulder.

Kody stopped eating for a moment, his eyes following Billy’s to where Chad sat on the far side of the field, reading a book. “Yeah, it’s all set up... we just need to figure out who to invite,” he said, and they both knew exactly what the problem was: Chad.

Billy stamped his foot, as he usually did when agitated. “Yeah, and who not to invite,” he added darkly.

Kody let out a soft snort. “I guess... but Mabel will be pissed if we don’t invite Chad.”

Billy grunted, again turning to cast a glance in Chad’s direction. “Mabel is always off doing her own thing anyway, maybe she wouldn’t even notice. Or maybe... does she even know about the party?”

Kody’s eyes grew wide in both recognition and unease, and he began to mumble, though the sound was soon drowned out by the clatter of Mabel’s approaching footsteps.

“I heard my name, and what you said, Billy. Yes, I know about it: I’m the one who picked the spot: the meadow, same as last year. Now, why are you so against inviting Chad? Maybe we should invite him instead of you?” Mabel said, lowering her head just slightly, in a way that Billy knew meant he had best answer with care.

“I, uh, wouldn’t want you not to come, Mabel, I was just thinking out loud... it’s not going to be much of a party if Chad comes. He’s... strange. He moved here three months ago, and he just doesn’t fit in,” Billy replied, looking down and shuffling his feet.

Mabel snorted in disdain. “Maybe he doesn’t fit in because nobody accepts him? I want him to come... He’s okay to be around – once you get used to him.”

Kody stopped chewing to answer, “Yeah, you would say that, ‘cause it’s pretty obvious you’re his favorite. But... I guess we could invite him. He’d probably raise a stink if we all take off without him.”

“I don’t like him; he’s a freak; the stuff he does, it’s just... it’s not natural!” Billy grumbled.

“Enough of that! There’s no place for bigotry here!” Mabel retorted sharply, followed by a snort of profound disapproval.

Billy began shifting his feet again, raising little clouds of dust. “He’s just... weird! He’s... not like us. And, we gotta put up with him acting like he's in charge all the time. He’s bossy, and weird! He never listens... and his kind are nothing but trouble anyway!”

Mabel glanced in Chad’s direction, before turning to reply, “That’s his job... and as for being weird, he didn’t choose to be born that way. It’s not his fault he’s so... strange.”

Kody looked at Chad, and then at Mabel. “Okay, okay, invite him... just make it clear that he’s not in charge for once, okay?”

“I’ll do my best,” Mabel replied, turning to walk towards Chad, calling back over her shoulder, “Let’s all ask him. It’d be better that way.”

Billy hesitated, but went along with the others, though still complaining. “He’s weird looking! And he walks funny, like he’s about to fall over.”

Mabel snorted, turning to lower her horns with clear menace in Billy’s direction. “So would you, if you only had two legs.”

And with that, the issue was settled, and Kody took his accustomed lead and the three continued on their way towards Chad, their goatherd.

Many thanks to my editor EMoe for editing and for his support, encouragement, beta reading, and suggestions.
Special thanks to Graeme, for beta-reading and advice.
Thanks also to Talonrider and MikeL for beta reading.
A big Thank You to RedA for Beta reading and advice, and to Bondwriter for final Zeta-reading and advice.
Any remaining errors are mine alone.
Story Discussion
Copyright © 2011 C James; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Spring - People Are Strange Entry

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a wonderful, wonderful twist at the end. Such a compact, amazing story. I imagine almost every word must have been looked at very carefully. Bravo.

Edited by northie
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..