Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,002 Words
  • 6,143 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fortitude - 1. Chapter 1

“The lantern changed.”

“Noted. Your point being?” I continued deeper into the cavern, my lantern held high above my head to ensure I did not fall prey to any holes. The last thing I needed was a turned ankle. My boots were already hampering me enough.

Pride does go before a fall—one of my mother’s favorite sayings. Heels were not conducive to my explorations.

“A flame turning blue usually means a ghost is about.”

I scoffed at Theodore. “You are being superstitious. Ghosts? Have you been chatting with the servants again? I simply sent a wave to increase the light.”

“Oh.”

My best friend was a Gamma. They weren’t slow-witted, exactly, but he was prone to fugues. I really shouldn’t have let him come with me. I was on a mission, and I would not fail. I was a singular being; success was my destiny.

Not even in my darkest moments of self-doubt did I consider not finding the Dresfrei Codex. All my life, from the first time my father told me the tale until now, I’d known I would find a way to fix Schvesla’s machine. No one could fix it, though the King said he had men worked on it continually.

With it, I could bring back the golden age of beta power. My lineage would be elevated to Peer status, and no longer would I be looked down upon. My mind emitted beta waves, giving me an unparalleled intellect as my brain worked at a feverish pace compared to gammas, alphas, and thetas, but my personal power meant very little because of my station in life to those who mattered—the powerful nobles. I was viewed as an aberration.

I’d prove I had the will, not just the strength, to make the journey and decipher the clues Schvesla left behind. His codex was the key, and I’d finally, finally, discovered its location. The first step was getting through the natural caverns below the city. I was the first Beta born in a hundred years, and by damned, I would prove my mettle.

“Where exactly are we going, Will?” Teddy asked.

“My name is William-Henry. We’re not children anymore, Theodore.”

He snorted, as vulgar as can be. “You’re Willy, and I’m Teddy, and we are not children. That doesn’t mean you need to take on such airs.”

I stopped. “Don’t you want to be somebody important? Don’t you want to be more than “Teddy, the printer”? My father was an inventor, but his devices were child’s play compared to what I could be if I get Schvesla’s machine running. Why should I be forced to remain as I am? I want something more. I want to understand my power and use it in a way that would truly matter.” I spread my arms wide and grinned. “I could be a hero.”

Teddy smiled wryly. “Grown up. Oh yes, you’ve definitely left behind the imaginings of childhood.”

I waved off his amusement. “I want my name to be remembered,” I said passionately.

“Well, I will always remember you as, Willy, who dragged me along on dangerous adventures and got us lost in dark caverns because he used up too much of the lamp power.”

Scowling, I turned away. “I’m the power. At least call me Will.” As long as I was conscious, and holding on to the metal handle, my mind would make enough energy to keep the spark in the lantern going.

“I can see it now—in print, no less—The Misadventures of Two Youths, Long Since Forgotten.

“Very funny, Teddy.” He always came up with the most outlandish stories, though all he was allowed to print were pamphlets and bills his father approved. “C’mon, it’s still a ways to go.”

We walked into a tunnel on the far side of the cavern, moving farther from the city center. It was amazing the underground way was undiscovered. No one had probably been in the tunnel for a long time. It smelled like dirt and damp, but the air was strangely clean compared to the city where buildings and vehicles belched black smoke.

If Schvesla’s machine worked again, we could have clean energy again. Damn it, I was a Beta, the only person alive with brain waves strong enough to power it up. What else was I born for?

“It’s cold.”

I looked over at my shoulder. Teddy was right behind me, staying in the sphere of light. “Buckle your jacket.”

He looked down. “Oh.”

Gammas. I swear, half the time they daydream through life. At least he’d grabbed his wool trench coat like I’d told him. “So tell me, where are we going?” Teddy asked as he tightened the buckles on his coat, cinching the chest tight.

“The tunnel continues under the walls of the city and out into the wilds.”

“We’re traveling outside the walls?”

“Yes. That’s why I brought my gun and my sword.” I patted my silver plated pistol. “We’ll be fine, don’t worry,” I assured him.

“Worry? Are you kidding?” Teddy skipped and then stumbled into me. “Oops, sorry.” I braced myself with one hand on the wall.

“Ew.” The rock was slimy. “You okay?” I hoped he hadn’t hurt himself. It wouldn’t be wise to leave the city if he were unable to run—the wilds weren’t safe at the best of times.

“Fine.”

I reached into my coat pocket and pulled out a starched handkerchief. I wiped the muck off my palm. Gross. I sighed and folded it back up and stuffed my handkerchief back in my pocket. I had more in my pack, but I knew we wouldn’t find a laundress out in the wilds.

“How do you know where to go, Will?”

“That’s the secret I wanted to tell you.” I pulled out a locked metal box from the inner breast pocket of my coat. He crowded close. The gears clicked slowly as I spun the bottom cog five turns left and two right. The box popped open.

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like it already! It's nice to read 'Alpha' and 'Beta' in a non-werewolf context :). The small updates are gonna be tantalizing :D. I like the physics aspect to it, and I want to smack Will - not william henry - with that nasty cloth already XD. That level of pretension is annoying :lol:. Besides, you'd think a Gamma would be better than a Beta (higher energy level, faster, etc) :huh: can't wait to see why that discrepancy is there :D

Awesome story, can't wait for next Wednesday!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Great start. I'm intrigued so far. I want to smack William Henry upside his arrogant head. :P lol I'm looking forward to reading more about this world. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/09/2014 04:39 AM, Valkyrie said:
Great start. I'm intrigued so far. I want to smack William Henry upside his arrogant head. :P lol I'm looking forward to reading more about this world. :)
He is a cocky little shit, isn't he? Then again, being raised as a 'second class' citizen in a rigid social rung society yet acknowledged as the smartest person due to his brain wave capabilities, and therefore unique, would probably give anyone a chip on their shoulder... just saying. ;) Thanks for reading and reviewing, Valkyrie!
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/08/2014 05:00 PM, faxity said:
I like it already! It's nice to read 'Alpha' and 'Beta' in a non-werewolf context :). The small updates are gonna be tantalizing :D. I like the physics aspect to it, and I want to smack Will - not william henry - with that nasty cloth already XD. That level of pretension is annoying :lol:. Besides, you'd think a Gamma would be better than a Beta (higher energy level, faster, etc) :huh: can't wait to see why that discrepancy is there :D

Awesome story, can't wait for next Wednesday!

Gamma isn't actually higher when you consider we're talking about the brain. I will have to figure out a way to indicate the actual science of their rankings into the story without telling instead of showing it. Hmm... I'm glad you're already liking it Faxity. :)
Link to comment

Will is annoying in his arrogance, but in my opinion, there is also a humorlos aspect to it. I am curious how this is going to continue :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/10/2014 03:10 AM, ninecila said:
Will is annoying in his arrogance, but in my opinion, there is also a humorlos aspect to it. I am curious how this is going to continue :)
Thanks, ninecila! I like to make my characters act as regular people, even if they're the 'hero' of the story, and some regular people are annoying. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the story!
Link to comment

Been waiting for you to post a few chapter so I could get a good feel for the story. I shouldn't have. A few hundred words and you got me hooked.

 

Love William! Perfect mix of drive, exuberance, ambition and recklessness. Poor Theodore, I half expected him to say 'Holy darkness Willy, don't let go of that lantern!"

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/29/2014 11:05 PM, Carlos Hazday said:
Been waiting for you to post a few chapter so I could get a good feel for the story. I shouldn't have. A few hundred words and you got me hooked.

 

Love William! Perfect mix of drive, exuberance, ambition and recklessness. Poor Theodore, I half expected him to say 'Holy darkness Willy, don't let go of that lantern!"

LOL! I'm glad you liked him, Carlos. Not many did. Teddy is pretty sweet and a bit naive, though. I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. :) Thanks for the reviews.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..