Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,657 Words
  • 1,472 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mrs. Benson - 2. Chapter 2

Mrs. Benson is still in the hospital. James and Alice discuss what is happening and James's past is shared.

2

It was a long night. Mrs. Benson had been rushed into the emergency room and I gave what information I could on her. I knew who her regular doctor was, but had no idea where, or if, she even had a medical card. I mean, I worked for her, but I wasn’t exactly familiar with where she kept all her personal information. It was around nine that night that a doctor finally came out and told me she had been moved into a room in ICU. I nodded and called Alice.

“Good evening, Benson residence. This is Ms. Frank speaking. How may I help you?”

“Alice, it’s me.”

“Jesus, James. Where the hell are you two? I was getting worried.”

“I’m at the hospital. Some vandal evidently broke into the family mausoleum and robbed it. She went up alone as she always does, found it that way, and collapsed.”

There was a moment of silence. I could hear Alice’s breathing and waited for her to digest what I had just told her.

“Is she alive?” Alice’s usually cheery voice was barely a whisper.

“She is out of surgery and in ICU. The doctor won’t really tell me more because I am not family. I figured I better call you and let you know what is going on.”

Here I was, a thirty nine year old man feeling like a little kid. Mrs. Benson had hired me right after graduation. I really didn’t have much direction, but I knew my parents weren’t going to be able to help me out. Hell, I still had five siblings behind me. I’d heard of the opening from Daryl. His father acted as a jack of all trades for Henry and Wendy Parker, who were Mrs. Benson’s neighbors. He had hoped Daryl would go for the job, but Daryl was more interested in getting into his girlfriend’s pants than he was in giving up all his time for ‘an old broad.’ I called the number he had and was given an appointment for later that afternoon. I showed up and interviewed for the position, never believing I would actually get it.

The interview was one of the oddest things I’d ever been through. Her questions were to the point and she seemed to know all about me.

“I understand you are applying for the job of handyman.” She sat behind her mahogany desk with a few papers in front of her. Her hands rested in front of her, and for a small woman, she projected the aura of a giant.

“Um … yes. I am, ma’am.” Nervous as I was I found myself staring more at the floor than at her face.

“Mrs. Benson.” Her voice was like a whip. I couldn’t help but look up at her.

“Mrs. Benson.” I could feel the sweat on my hands. I was used to wearing tee shirts so the dress shirt felt more like a noose around my neck the whole time, but Mrs. Benson sat calm and cool across from me.

“Basically, James, you would be my driver, in charge of keeping the lawn and yard neat, and do basic repair work. I’ve already checked your records. In school you took some shop classes. Mr. Barrett stated you were fairly competent with tools.”

I stared at her in surprise. Mr. Barrett had been one of my teachers at school and one of the ones I really liked. Mrs. Benson had done her homework on me, but at least I knew there would be no surprises in my history.

“Yes, Mrs. Benson.”

“You will have Sundays off, unless a prior arrangement is made. I am in bed each evening by nine, so your services will not be needed after that time. I rarely go out at night. I understand you are the oldest of your siblings who are all still at home with your parents?”

“Yes, they are.”

“You shall also be given off Wednesday evenings then, at five. You are to spend that time with your family.”

“Does that mean I have the job, Mrs. Benson?”

“Yes. Check with Ms. Frank. She will show you the room that will be yours. Do you know your shirt size and hat size?”

“Um, sorry, no I don’t ,ma’am.” The dress shirt I had was second hand, a little tight, and didn’t have a size in it when we got it at Good Will.

There was only a short nod from Mrs. Benson.

“Go on child. Ms. Frank will take care of the details. Tomorrow, I shall have you fitted for work.”

I walked back through the office door feeling rather stunned. Alice came down the hall a moment later.

“She didn’t hire you, either, huh? Oh well. Follow me; I’ll lead you back to the front door.”

“Um, sorry, she told me to ask Ms. Frank to show me to my room.”

Alice paused and looked me up and down. I knew she was older than I was, but I figured this would be someone I was going to be working with. I had a feeling that this was the sort of job I might really enjoy.

“I’m Ms. Frank.” Alice looked me over again. “Odd. Well, none of my business. Name’s Alice when we are alone. Mrs. Benson expects every woman to be shown respect. Trust me; she can give you a verbal thrashing that will make you feel like you were beaten up if you don’t show the proper respect to someone.”

I nodded, then stuck out my hand, which she eventually took.

“Nice to meet you, Alice. My name’s James Trenton.”

Just like that, I found myself working for Mrs. Benson. I hadn’t even asked what my pay was, medical, or much of anything else. The following morning, I woke in a strange bed to Alice tapping on my door.

“Get up kid. Time to get you set up.”

“Give me a moment, please. I’ll be right there.”

“When you are ready, head down the hall to the left. You’ll find the kitchen there. I have to get Mrs. Benson’s breakfast going. Ten minutes, James, which is all the time you have.”

“I’ll be there.”

I heard her head away from the door as I rushed into the attached bathroom to get myself pulled together.

I’d run home after Alice showed me the room last night and gathered what few clothes I owned. Mom was stoic watching while I packed up my few belongings. Dad was glad I had work. As I was putting the last of my stuff into a bag, I heard David, my oldest sibling, who had been standing in the bedroom door way, comment to Dad.

“Hey, he found a job and is moving out. I get his room, right?”

“Shut up, David.” My father turned and looked at him carefully for a moment before he said another word.”And speaking of a job, did you find a part time one for after school yet?”

David blushed and ducked out of the room.

“When will I see you home again?” Mom stood with her arms wrapped around herself, watching my every move.

I walked over and kissed her cheek.

“Mrs. Benson has already given me off every Wednesday evening to spend here with the family.”

Mom nodded and I noticed the tears in her eyes. I didn’t want to see her cry. I knew how much she worked to keep us all fed and clothed. She needed a new winter coat for the past five years, but was still making do so we kids wouldn’t have to do without. I grabbed two of the three garbage bags stuffed with my belongings, while my father grabbed the last bag and followed me out to my car.

“You sure about this, James?”

“Yeah, I am Dad. It gets me out from under foot and offers me some sort of direction. Besides, I know you and mom were worried. Now you know where I am if you need me, but you won’t have to keep me.”

He nodded and loaded the bag into my back seat. He surprised me with a hug and then headed back in to the family. I got back to Mrs. Benson’s, and Alice helped me move my stuff in. All I really had were clothes, most of which I knew would never fit into Mrs. Benson’s household.

I showered really quickly, shaved, and got dressed. Then I headed down the hall to the kitchen. The kitchen was the size of my family’s whole house. It was enormous, with three stoves, two large refrigerators, microwaves, sinks, an island, and more. There was also a table there with a plate of food and orange juice poured, waiting for me.

Alice was just putting together a large tray when I walked in.

“Your breakfast is there on the table. Eat quickly, would you. I have to bring this up to her, and then take you to be measured for your uniform.”

I didn’t know what to say, so I nodded and slipped into the seat at the table. It seemed weird to be sitting in that giant room alone. I was used to hearing my brothers and sisters talking and fighting at the table while my mother tried to make sure everyone ate. The empty silence wore at me.

I ate the food quickly, and then walked over and washed my dishes. I was just setting everything out on the drain board I’d found to dry when Alice walked back in.

“You did your dishes.”

“Yes.”

Alice stood there for a moment and looked at me.

“You know that is my job, right?”

“I ate, so I figured I should help out.”

Alice looked at me again.

“I can’t figure you out, kid.” She shook her head and headed toward the back door. She had a small purse there. “Follow me. I’ll drive us to Malbury’s.”

So what do you think? James isn't from a rich family, but one that really cared for each other. Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated. Thank you for reading and if you enjoyed feel free to click that like button.
Copyright © 2014 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice transition to background. I enjoyed learning more about everyone. I'm no closer to guessing what the future holds.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/10/2014 02:40 PM, knotme said:
Nice transition to background. I enjoyed learning more about everyone. I'm no closer to guessing what the future holds.
Well just another short story knotme. Before it is over you will see how Alice, James, and Mrs. Benson all fit together and the world that they have been inhabiting. Hope you enjoy it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think I like you story, and the fact that James comes from a humble and loving background. It's funny how when you work with people for so long that they become like family which it seems in this case. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/13/2014 02:45 AM, joann414 said:
I think I like you story, and the fact that James comes from a humble and loving background. It's funny how when you work with people for so long that they become like family which it seems in this case. :)
I think it is normal. You spend day in and day out with them. Sometimes you spend more time with the people you work with than your own family. In a sense they do become your second family, especially if you are working in a home situation like this.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..