Jump to content
    Dans La Nuit
  • Author
  • 2,480 Words
  • 1,432 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Summer Ended with a Storm - 10. Chapter 10

I sat silent in Uncle Jeff’s car. The radio volume was low and the air conditioner was blaring. I leaned my head against the window, staring out at the scenery as it whipped passed us.

“You’ll have your own room, you know. The guest room. You can do anything that you want with it. You can paint it, or hang up pictures or posters. Kale has certainly taken a liking to you.”

I didn’t feel like answering. I loved uncle Jeff for trying but, I’ve gone through too much lately to care anymore. I just sighed and moved away from the window and leaned up against the head rest.

“It’s gonna be okay, Dylan. You’ll see.”

As we got closer to Meek. The sky began to fill with clouds. As drove along the long stretch of road, the clouds began to turn darker and darker. It was as if the world had been affected by my mood.

We reached Meek and the thunder started to roll. Jeff drove slowly through town. I gave him directions to grampa’s house. Amanda came out of her house, she left just before I went out to the back porch.

“It looks like rain.” she said. “The news said there’s a big storm coming.”

“We should do this quickly.” said Jeff. “Before it starts to pour.”

We walked into my grampa’s house. I started to look around. The house seemed incredibly still and silent, like no one had lived there in a while. I walked and I walked around.

“I’ll wait out here. You go and pack.” said Jeff.

I walked into my room. I looked around in there too. It was all still so surreal. I couldn’t handle being in there anymore. So, I opened the window and snuck out of the house. I started to walk. I just walked. Subconsciously, I think I knew that I was going to see Andy, but I the time, I thought that I had no real destination.

I reached Andy’s house. I stood in front of it for a while. Thunder rolled once more. Was that a sign? Should I not go in?

I walked to the side of the house and to Andy’s window. I knocked on the window. He came and opened it. When I walked in, his room was thrashed completely.

“What happened?” I asked.

“I got a little upset.”

“A little. It looks a like a tornado hit this place.” I started to walk around. Walking over lots of broken junk. “What happened to make you do this?”

“Look, what are here for? I told you that…that I can’t do this anymore.”

“I just came to say goodbye. I’m gonna be living in Portland now that my grampa…well, I just came to say goodbye because…I just couldn’t leave things the way they were.”

“Well…goodbye.” Andy said this so cold and distant that, it made me want to cry, and stupid me, I did.

“I’m sorry, I…I don’t mean to cry on you. I just…I’m gonna miss you.” I said, wiping my tears.

Andy sighed and started to look around the room.

“Andy, about what you said last night about me not noticing how much you love me…I just want you to know that, I have noticed.”

“So is it supposed to make me feel better that you did notice, but…you just didn’t feel like doing anything about it?”

“No…I-I’m not finished. I didn’t say anything about it because I was scared…I knew that I felt the same way about you, but I was afraid that if I acknowledged that I was in love with you and we got together and if it didn’t work…I didn’t want to have to face loosing you because…I feel closer to you than I’ve ever felt to anyone before, closer than even my own family. So, I was scared of loosing that closeness.”

“Are you done?”

“Andy, don’t you understand what I just said? Andy…I love you. I really do. It isn’t because you said you loved me or because I feel sorry for you. I know that’s what you must think, but…I genuinely love you. I think I always have.”

“It’s a little bit too late for that, Dylan. I have already decided to get over you and the decision is final.”

“So, so that’s just it?”

“Yeah”

I took a deep breath and took one last look around Andy’s room.

“Where’s your mom?” I asked.

“Why?” he asked in defensive mode.

“I wanna say goodbye.”

“Oh…she’s in the living room.”

I walked passed Andy and out into the hall and quietly moved to the living room. I felt Andy follow me.

“Mom,” he said from behind me.

She turned around and gasped when she saw me. Then she gave me a brokenhearted look.

“Oh, Dylan…” She got up and walked over to me with her hand on her heart. She looked at me for a second and then embraced me. The, she held me at arm’s length.

“How are you?”

“Mom,” Andy snapped. “Dylan’s not here to share his feelings. He’s here to say goodbye.”

“No need to be snippy about it, Andrew. That mouth of yours has gotten so much worse lately.”

“I’m afraid Andy’s right. I don’t have much time. My uncle is waiting for me.” I said.

“Well, it was a pleasure to have you our lives. You know, you were only here for a few months, but I feel like it’s been a lifetime.”

“I feel the same way. Thank you so much for everything you’ve done for me. I’ll never forget it.”

“Hey, you gave my son the brother he’s never had. What I’ve done for you is nothing compared to how much you cared my son.”

“I’ll miss you.” I hugged her once again.

After the hug, I looked back to Andy and then I left the house. I walked back to grampa’s house. It started to slightly drizzle.

When I got back inside of the house, Jeff was waiting with my stuff already packed.

“Amanda told me you probably went to see Andy so I packed your bags for you.” said Jeff.

I looked to Amanda and she smiled at me. Was it the last time I’d see that beautiful smile of hers? I didn’t know, so I smiled back.

We walked out to the car and started to pack the trunk. Jeff got in to give me time to say goodbye to Amanda.

“Thank you so much for all you’ve done for me.” I said, looking into her green eyes.

Amanda smiled as the rain sprinkled onto us. “I’ll never forget you, Dylan Summers.”

“Oh, you’ll see me again. Maybe I’ll come back next summer.”

“That would be nice.” said Amanda. She started to tear up. I wrapped my arms around her and she held me tight. “You’d better come back, or I’m gonna go and find you.”

I laughed and kept her at arms length. “Don’t worry. I promise.”

“Go on. Get in the car before it starts to pour.” said Amanda.

The thunder started roll once more. This time it followed a flash of light. The storm was brewing and it was about to burst right over Meek, Oregon.

I got in the car and I watched Amanda run into her house.

“All set?” asked Jeff.

I wanted to say no. I wanted to say hell no! I’m not leaving before holding Andy in my arms one last time, but I knew that that wasn’t going to happen.

Instead, I took a deep breath and said, “Yeah.”

“Okay, let’s hit the road.”

Almost as soon as the car started moving there was another big flash of light and an earth shaking thunder roll. Then, rain started to pour like I’ve never seen in my life. It wasn’t just raining cats and dogs. It was raining elephants and giraffes. It was like a wall of water or a waterfall. I could barely see the road. Then, I looked in the rearview mirror and saw a small figure standing in the distance. I’d recognize that figure anywhere.

“Stop…Stop the car!”

“Dylan you can go out there, it’s pouring.”

“I don’t care! Stop the car!”

Jeff stopped the car and in a split second I was outside, soaked from head to toe instantly.

He started running, and so did I. I ran as fast as my legs would allow. The rain sounded like bullets on the pavement. Flashes of light and thunder rolls went off like bombs. It seemed like it took forever, but I did it. I got to him and as soon as I did, he jumped up into my arms and wrapped his legs around my waist. The impact practically caused

Our lips were instantly touching. He grabbed my face and pulled himself into the kiss. The both of us were soaked beyond recognition, but I didn’t care. I had Andy. Here, now, and in my arms.

His legs must’ve gotten tired because he slid them down my body until they met with the flooded street. He didn’t break from the kiss though. All I heard was the thunder rolls and I could see the flashes in the corner of my eye.

Our lips broke apart, but we kept out faces inches apart. I looked into his eyes and he looked into mine, his hands still on my face.

“I love you Dylan Summers. There’s no denying or getting over it. That’s the simple and plain truth. I love you.”

“I love you too. Andy, I love you so much.”

Our lips touched again, this time a little less desperate.

“I want you to come with me.” I said, still holding Andy close to me.

“Dylan, I…”

“Just for a day or two. Please. We can’t be separated now. Then…then you can come back.”

“Give me a second.” He said.

He started to leave, but I pulled him back. “Where are going?”

“Don’t worry,” he said, sliding his hand softly down my cheek. He pecked me a small kiss. “I’ll be back.”

As Andy ran back into his house, I ran back to Jeff’s car.

“Dylan you’re soaked.” said Jeff.

I just smiled I looked up. “I don’t care.”

“What’s happening?” he asked.

“Go back to Andy’s. I asked him to stay for a few days. Then he’s coming back.”

“Oh, okay.” Jeff giggled and then turned the car around. He drove to Andy’s and parked in front. A few minutes later, Andy came running out with a bag. I got out and helped him put it in the trunk. Andy and I got into the backseat and started to kiss as soon as we were settled. “It’s okay, I’m not really here. I’m just a total figure of both of your imaginations.”

“Sorry uncle Jeff.” I said. “But I’ve been waiting all summer to do this and I can’t stop now.” I never broke my stare from Andy as I talked to Jeff.

Jeff started to drive back to Portland. Eventually, Andy and I fell asleep to the patter of the rain on the windows. But, not long after, we felt the car stop.

“What’s wrong?” I asked Jeff.

“They blocked the road because of the storm. We have to stop and get a motel.”

Andy and I looked out of the window and saw Jeff run into the motel’s office. He came back and quickly got into the car.

“Bad news. They only have one room left because of the storm. It’s a double bed, maybe you guys would like to be alone. I can sleep here in the car.”

“No, it’s okay uncle Jeff. We can control ourselves.” I said.

“Yeah, we’re practically experts at that by now.” said Andy.

“Well, okay, let’s get in that room and get dry.” said Jeff.

* * *

I sat on the bathroom counter drying my short hair, looking into Andy’s eyes. He was leaning against the wall in front of me, drying his own wavy brown hair. He just smiled my way.

“I love your smile…I always have.” I said, putting the towel town in my lap.

“You know what the matter with you is, Dylan?” Andy’s face turned serious.

Oh no, what now? What did I do to mess everything up this time?

“W-what?” I was afraid to ask, but I had to.

Andy just smiled. “Nothing,” he said bluntly. “Absolutely nothing.”

I through my towel at him in frustration. “You jerk.” I smirked.

“Hey!” Andy let out as the towel hit his face.

He walked to me and stood in between my legs. His hands stood on top of my thighs. My arms went around his waist. We stood in this position with out mouths only inches apart. He smiled at me and then our lips softly touched.

“I love you.” I said as I looked into his eyes.

“I love you two.” said Andy, rubbing my thighs.

“Hey! You guys!” called Jeff from outside.

Andy and I walked out of the bathroom. There on one of the bed was three bags of popped microwave popcorn, two small bags of potato chip for each of us, and three sodas.

“Dinner is served.” said Jeff. “Sorry, it’s all that they had.”

“It’s okay. I’m not really that hungry anyway.” I said.

“Yeah, me neither.” said Andy.

“Looks like you two got dry, that’s good.” said Jeff.

“Well, as dry as we could.” said Andy, ruffling through his hair with his hand.

Outside, the thunder rolled and the rain fell as if it were a flood. Inside, the three of us enjoyed our snacks while watching cable TV. We settled on a made for TV movie about some spy. It was kind of like a Bond movie, but way more cheesy if that’s possible.

Jeff lay on one bed and Andy and I on the other. Andy sat up, as I rested my head on his stomach. His left arm hung over my shoulder and his hand ended up on my tummy. He must’ve finished his popcorn because he started reaching into my bag. I pulled away.

“You have your own.” I said selfishly.

“But I ran out.” I said. “Come on, don’t be stingy.”

“Only if you give me a kiss.” I said, looking up.

He winced his eyes at me and then smiled. He stretched his head down and out lips touched. After the kiss, I lifted my bag up to him and he reached in and got a hand full. He put it in his bag.

Our kiss didn’t seem to even faze my uncle Jeff. I was shocked and at the same time grateful that he was so cool with everything. It was as if it was the most natural thing in the world to him. Then, I realized, it is. Love IS the most natural thing in the world.

Copyright © 2011 Dans La Nuit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..