Jump to content
    Dans La Nuit
  • Author
  • 2,372 Words
  • 1,655 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Summer Ended with a Storm - 5. Chapter 5

The doctor told me that I had two bruised ribs and whoever taped them right away helped them very much. He said they would heal quickly because of it. And a few days later, I could actually walk without any pain. Good thing too because it was the Fourth of July carnival had arrived and I wasn’t about to miss out on it.

“So what do you wanna do first the Spin-O-Matic or the Zipper?” I asked Andy as we walked in.

“Are you sure you’re well enough to get on these rides?” he asked.

“Stop worrying. I’m fine. Now lets have some fun.”

“Why don’t we start with some games or the Ferris Wheel?”

I sighed. “Listen, I love you for worrying, but I’m totally fine. I promise.”

“Any louder please, Dylan. I don’t think the pastor, who’s standing right over there, heard you tell me that you love me.”

I laughed. “Well, I do love you.”

“I love you too, but lets not shout it from the rooftops.”

“Oh, come on. What’s a little love between friends?” I asked.

“Okay, you win. How about the Spin-O-Matic? It’s less…rough than the Zipper.”

“Okay, let’s go!” I pulled Andy all the way to the Spin-O-Matic.

When we got off, we had to hold each other, we were so dizzy. I saw my grampa and Ms. Roark laughing at us just a few feet away.

“Looks like you two are having a good time.” said Ms. Roark.

“Don’t loose your lunch, now.” said grampa.

We finally got it together.

“Let’s go play some games.” I suggested, not really wanting to get on anymore rides.

I took Andy to the balloon pop.

“Hey, you pay. I’ll go get us some cheeseburgers.”

“Okay,” said Andy.

I left and got in line for the burgers. Then I got tapped on the shoulder. I turned around. It was Nick.

“H-Hey, Dylan.”

I rolled my eyes. “Nick.”

“Can we talk?…In private.”

“You gonna beat me up again.”

Nick sighed. “No…can we please just talk.”

Nick and I went into the barn of the farm that the carnival was being held at. It was totally empty and no one could see us.

“What do you want to talk about, Nick?” I asked.

“I want to apologize. I can’t believe that I…I did that to you. I was just surprised.”

“By my kiss.”

“Yes, that too.”

“What?” Now he was making no sense whatsoever.

“The kiss isn’t the only thing that surprised me.”

“Go on…”

“I was surprised because…I liked it and it scared me; scared me into anger. Dylan I’m, I’m so sorry. I’ve been so confused for the passed year or so, but I’ve pushed it away and you just…you brought it to the forefront.”

“What are you saying here, Nick? I knew that you would like the kiss, otherwise I wouldn’t have kissed you.”

“You knew?”

“When I put my hand on your stomach, you didn’t take it off. In fact, you liked it…because you put your hand on mine to keep it there. So I kissed you. I just didn’t expect you to practically kill me.”

“Why…I’m confused.”

“Nick, I know that the feelings you’re having are confusing, but that’s no reason to pound me into ground beef. So, if there’s anything else you’d like to say, say it now because I’ve got to get back to Andy. He’s probably worried about me.”

“Andy, are two, ah…?”

“Andy is my best friend and I‘m his. He took care of me that night. He’s just extra worried about me nowadays. Is that all? I want to go.”

“I want to know you Dylan. I want…I want more with you.”

I stopped, looked at him and sighed. Somehow I believed his innocence. “What about Emily?”

“What about Emily?”

“Nick, if you think I’m gonna be with you behind Emily’s back, you’re sorely mistaken. My first relationship deserves to be of some substance.”

“I can’t dump Emily. I love Emily. Even if I didn’t, I can’t have people knowing…what I am.”

“You’re a person, Nick and that’s all that matters. I’m sorry. If you’re not willing to break up with Emily, I’m not willing to started anything with you.”

I turned around and walked away. Nick grabbed my arm and twirled me around. Our chests were touching and he had his arms around my waist and his hand still on my arm.

“Are you telling me that you can ignore what we have going?”

“Nick…let go of me before I scream.”

Nick’s face turned to shock and he let me go. Without saying anything more, I turned around and left. Andy was probably calling the National Guard to find me by now.

I wasn’t quite on the money, but I was close. I saw him running around the carnival, calling my name with a look of horror on his face which turned to relief when he found me.

“Where the hell have you been? You know it’s taking everything I’ve got not to hug you right now.”

“I was talking to Nick.”

“Please tell me it’s another Nick and not Nick Fisher. Please, please, please tell me that you weren’t talking to the guy who practically sunk his fist into your head.”

“He wanted to apologize. And he had a little confession.”

“What?”

“Looks like our little Nicky likes wee-wee’s just as much as he likes jay-jay’s.” I said in the funniest voice I can come up with. “And that’s why he pounded me.”

“Please don’t tell me that you forgave that asshole.”

“Of course not. But…that’s not the only thing he confessed.”

“Great, what else?” asked Andy, not liking this conversation.

“He told me that he wants to be with me. But, don’t worry, I wasn’t having it because…he wouldn’t break up with Emily.”

“You know what, I’m leaving. I can’t listen to this.”

“Andy come on. The fireworks start in ten minutes.”

“I see the fireworks every year, Dylan. They’re always the same.”

“But…you’ve never seen them with me. We can go on the hilltop and watch them together; just you and me.” I suggested.

Andy smiled. “How do you do that?”

“Do what?”

“Somehow…I…I could be the most determined, the most upset I could be and…you somehow calm me down.”

“That’s because I know you better than anyone else. Now, come on, let’s go.”

Andy followed me to the hilltop. We sat at the very tip of it, facing north where the fireworks would end up. And, not moments after we sat down, fireworks lit up the sky. I put my arm around Andy. He scooted in closer and rested his head on my shoulder. I rested my head on his head. We sat and watched the fifteen minute show.

“That show never gets old. It’s always so beautiful.” said Andy after the show.

“I’ve never seen anything like that.” I said.

“Really? Do they not have fireworks in New York?”

I giggled. “Smart ass. Of course they do. I’ve just never seen them this close. I’m just glad that I got to have this experience with you.”

“We should get going. My mom worries about me more than I worry about you.”

I laughed. “Okay, let’s go.”

* * *

I sat in my room, reading this book that Lucy from the diner had recommended that I read when there was a knock at my door. Grampa walked in.

“You have a visitor.”

I thought it would be Andy.

“Nick is here.” he continued.

Nick walked in cautiously. Grampa left and Nick closed the door.

“What are you doing here? I get enough of you at work.” I said.

“I’m here because I can’t stop thinking about you. I can’t stop thinking of that night; when we kissed.”

“Really, because our kiss isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when I think of that night.”

“I’m not asking you to forgive me. I’m asking for a second chance.”

Nick sat next to me on my bed. I could feel my heart beating faster.

“A second chance at what?” I asked, staring into Nick’s wonderful blue eyes.

“At this…” Nick leaned in and our lips touched. He put his hand on the back of my head and started to kiss me harder. I felt it. I kissed back.

I was on my back on my bed and Nick was on top of me. His tongue found it’s way into my mouth and his free hand found it’s way to my hip. As much as I wanted to keep going, I stopped him.

“What’s the matter?” he asked.

I smiled. “Nothing. My grampa. It’s the middle of the day. He might…”

“Right..” He smiled awkwardly. It was extremely cute. “I’ll go.”

“Wait, before you do…I wanna see you tonight. Meet me at the lake around nine?”

“Sure.” he said with a smile, still looking down at me. He snuck in one last kiss before he left. I was happy. It’s what I’ve wanted since I met him. But, after he left, all I could think was that Andy wasn’t going to like that I’m with Nick.

I thought about not telling him, but then…I figured that if I told him that he would try and talk me out of it and if he could succeed, then maybe I didn’t belong with Nick in the first place.

“Grampa, I’ve going over to see Andy okay.”

“Okay, remember that I need you mow the lawn again later and to organize the garage.”

“Okay, I’ll be back soon.”

I walked the few blocks to Andy’s. I walked to the side of the house and I looked in his window. He was sitting at his desk on his computer. I opened the window and crawled into his room.

“Hey,” I said.

“Hey,” he said taking a quick look at me and then back at his computer. I hopped on his bed, grabbed his baseball from his nightstand, lay down and started to throw the ball into the air.

“So what’s up?” he asked.

“Can’t I just have come to visit my best friend for the hell of it?”

“Come on, Dylan. You only come here whenever you want to talk about something.”

“Okay, but you have to promise that you won’t freak out when I tell you what I have to tell you.”

“Oh no, this isn’t good.”

“I…I think I’m gonna start something with Nick.”

Andy sighed. “Nick, as in the one who beat you up.”

“Andy, I know you don’t like him, but can you just be happy for me…just this once.”

“I can’t be happy for you when you’re making a mistake, Dylan! This guy…this guy he’s not right for you. You deserve more than, than a scared asshole that can barely admit that he’s attracted to you.”

“Nick, he’s no more scared than we are. It’s not like we’re on top of the hill screaming ‘I’m coming out’ to the entire town. Plus, he’s…he’s hot and I like him.”

“Yes, we all know Nick Fisher is hot, but…the question is…Will he stick by you? If someone somehow finds out about your relationship, will he stand by you or…will he deny it?”

Ugh, I hate it when Andy has a point.

“I don’t know, but for the first time, I want to just be happy without over thinking everything.”

“Fine do what you want. It’s your life…well, I’ve got summer reading to do so…”

“So, I’ll leave then?”

“Yes, I think you should.”

Andy had never spoken to me so coldly. Where was my smooth talking self that could calm him down?

I had no choice. I left. I didn’t want Andy to be mad at me. It made me feel like shit that I made him feel like shit.

* * *

I sat at the shore of the lake watching the and listening to the waves, waiting for Nick to show up…and he did. He sat right next to me and kissed me as he sat.

“Hey,” I said.

“Hey, so…I talked to Andy earlier today, or he talked to me, or…more like he talked at me.”

I sighed. “Shit, what did he say?”

“I can’t believe that you told him.” said Nick. “What if he blabs?”

“He’s my best friend. I tell him everything, and…he won’t blab. He’s not like that. He’s just like us.”

“You mean…Andy likes guys too?”

“Yes.”

“Is that why you’re friends with him?”

“No, that’s not why I’m friends with him. That’s not the point. What did he say to you.”

“He told me that if I hurt you, he would make me pay.”

I giggled. “Andy’s just a little protective of me.”

“A little?…But, I guess I can handle that. It’s worth it if I get to be with you.”

“Emily.” I simply stated.

“I told you,” Nick sighed. “I love Emily. I can’t break up with her. I just can’t.”

I sighed. I guess a secret relationship with Nick is better than no relationship at all. I leaned over and kissed him.

“So, how do we do this?” asked Nick.

I smiled. “How do we do what?”

“I’ve, I’ve never been in a relationship with a guy before.”

“This may sound funny, but neither have I.” I said. “But I guess it’s just like being in a relationship with a girl. There’s another thing I know nothing about.”

“So, we’re both new to this?” He took my hand in his.

“Yeah,” I said laying my head on his shoulder. “We can help each other through this.”

“Sounds good.” He held my chin up and placed his lips softly on mine.

“So, my grandfather is going to Portland tomorrow to visit a friend. He’s staying over night…”

“Sounds great. We should spend the day together at your place.”

I smiled up at him.

“You’re so cute.” he said.

My cell vibrated in my pocket.

“It’s my grandfather. I’ve gotta go.” I said.

“Let me give you a ride.”

I answered the phone and did some damage control with grampa freaking out that I was out so late. Nick took me home and I went to bed anticipating what could happen with Nick if we were alone together.

Copyright © 2011 Dans La Nuit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I just do not like Nick, not only has he already beat the crap out of Dylan but he wants to start a relationship with him ithout breaking up with his girlfriend. Urgh I don't like him :angry:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..