Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 13,140 Words
  • 2,589 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Mature story contains dark themes involving graphic violence and taboo topics that may contain triggers for sensitive readers. Please do not read further if this bothers you.

Dawn of Tears - 19. Delays and Consolidation

Note to Readers: Some people might think that my growing 'circle' was nothing more than a harem, a dream for any horny thirteen year-old. It wasn't nearly as fun as most might thing, although it was very, very instructive. In a short period of several weeks my emotional maturity changed greatly. As much as my circle was bound to me and their lives changed, mine was as well.

 

It was the Secret Service, not dad, who delayed my trip to Utah. They were quite upset after one simulation with my newly augmented security detail, and the secondary detail and their own team. The Secret Service demanded that dad give the teams (and Henry's teams as well) a few weeks to work on integrating tactics before sending us into any situation that might be dangerous.

There was also a problem with our planes. The plane I had been assigned, and that Henry had been assigned, would not fit all the people that were now part of our groups. With the four professors from Harvard (five from Yale for Henry), the military officers, and the enlisted crews, we would be flying with over fifty people in each of our groups, fifteen more than the current planes were designed to carry.

An Air Force General that had finally arrived in Huntsville to join the Joint Chiefs of Staff remembered that two brand-new 797 aircraft had been ordered by the former President to replace the aging Air Force One fleet. They had just been completed, lacking only the final paint coating before being delivered to the Air Force for use. Some quick communications confirmed that the planes were still sitting in hangars in Washington, undamaged and still unpainted.

They were the newest design of passenger jet aircraft, and the first real wide-body passenger plane since the 747. They were spacious, slightly larger than the 747 and featured two of the most advanced, powerful, and fuel efficient jet engines ever produced. The two engines (instead of the 747's four) produced more lift, more thrust than the four engines of the 747 and burned far less fuel, something that would be an important point with the new NBS (National Broadcasting Service) that had recently begun to ask hard questions about what they perceived to be huge use of fuel by the military and civilian government aircraft.

The Washington National Guard quickly found the appropriate managers from the aircraft company, all of whom were delighted at the prospect of working again, and those managers led them to contact all their workers who were equally delighted at doing the work they were trained to do. Two days after the initial inquiry about the planes, word arrived that they would be ready the day after Henry's birthday in February. The pilots and flight crews from our staffs were sent to Washington where they'd receive training and certification on the aircrafts' maintenance and operations.

That gave our security details six weeks of training, something that the Secret Service accepted with very little grumbling. It left the question of Utah's status in question, but not even the increasingly critical NBS made too many waves about that. Dad was left with the question of how to make good use of us while we were still in Huntsville, and as he'd considered before Christmas, he set us loose on the 'economic recovery panels' he'd formed in December.

These men and women, most of them world-renowned professors and theorists of the economy had been stalled for weeks over the issues of how to re-establish a currency and deal with publicly-held companies many of whose stockholders, managers, and directors had died when many major American cities were destroyed by nuclear explosions. The financial sector also was stalled on how to handle the issue of who had how much money and how to deal with the fragmented, corrupted, or destroyed records of most financial institutions. Arguments between the members of the two panels, and amongst the panels themselves had become daily occurrences. Dad had sent mom several times, since she did have a degree in business management, but she'd been effectively steamrolled by the different panelists when she suggested different ideas.

Dad was preparing to go himself, but most of his time was already occupied by several different issues ranging from a rash of sniper shootings in the capitols of four different states, riots among Middle East nations that was slowing the flow of oil into tankers (it was suspected that the Ayatollah was encouraging the riots as revenge for the public humiliation of having to consent to our demands but we were having trouble proving that suspicion), and a rash of pirate attacks on tankers passing through the Malacca Straits (a waterway that connected the Indian and Pacific Oceans and had many small islands and other features allowing small, fast boats to stage attacks on unprotected merchant vessels). These problems all meant he was locked away in his offices. Added to that problem was that he was now under pressure by the Continental Congress to appoint a cabinet instead of relying on military leadership as much as he was. All that together meant he either had to ignore those things, or send someone else to help push the panels along, so he sent two people, both Henry and I.

We also conducted our experiments, discovering vital information in how controlling people who were under the basic controls could be done. It wasn't subtle, taking control of someone who'd already been controlled (even if so lightly the subject didn't realize it himself), and it was very obvious that it was being done to the subject, and to any observers. Still, it could be done, if the person attempting it was more powerful than the person who had set the first control.

Tim's control (we'd decided to use him for the testing as well) was easiest for me to break, requiring little more than extra effort on my part. Tim never managed to break a control set by either Henry or I. Henry's controls were hard to break, and left me sweating after I'd done that task. Henry failed four times before succeeding in overriding a control I'd set into one of our future guards. When we bonded them, after promising that we were doing something that would make sure no one else could control them again, it broke down the barriers of the recent attempts at control just like I'd done with Rogers the day before. This time though, it was slightly harder than it had been with him, and I had to concentrate even more to complete the bond with Barry Davies, who looked more like a model than he did a soldier.

On the fourth day of January, a joint meeting of the Economic Recovery and Financial Recovery panels was held, with Henry and I both in attendance. We'd both found smartly tailored suits waiting for us that morning and looked pretty damn good in them when we entered the meeting room in another nearby hotel. Cameras had been set up, and recorded this joint meeting. The panelists, very much aware of the cameras, started off being very polite, but slightly condescending to us, their 'honored guests'. The meeting started at 0900 hours, and was supposed to last until lunch (we both had four hours of lessons with our professors each afternoon). By 1000 hours, we were both aware that no progress was being made after the fourth question we had asked resulted in another lengthy speech by a panel member, and an argument between other panelists.

"Please, ladies and gentlemen, hold on for just a moment." Henry said when I'd written a single word on a notepad, followed by a question mark. He'd taken a look at it and nodded in agreement immediately. "I know these issues are extremely complex. To be honest, despite how smart some people might think my brother and I are, you lost us completely after the first two sentences of your explanation."

That statement got some surprised looks, a pleased look from the man who had been speaking, and even a few chuckles.

"Of course it was a little too complex for you. I'm sorry." The man said with a superior grin. "I don't see how you could be expected to understand these complex issues unless you'd studied economics for years, which of course you haven't had the chance to do yet."

"No, we haven't." I said with a serious look at the man. "I think we have a basic understand of some of the principles. I know that early human societies were based on a barter system, where farmers would trade extra food for things they needed like tools made by a blacksmith, or seed, or fertilizer. Then trade became based on things perceived to have value, like gold, silver, and jewels. I also understand that paper money was originally made to represent gold, or silver and that in theory its value was based on the ability of a person to trade it in for the precious metal if they so wanted."

"A very simple picture, with some inaccuracies, but essentially correct." The same man stated like a teacher in a Econ 101 classroom. "If you turned it in on a paper in an introductory level course it would receive a good grade."

"Thank you." I said, pausing to see if Henry wanted to say something, but he looked at me, waiting for me to finish. "I also understand that in the early part of the twentieth century most of the world moved from currency valuation based on how many pounds of gold or silver a country possessed and rather was based on the strength of the nation's economy, the strength or weakness of their ability to make and sell products or services."

"Again, you've given a very basic explanation of a very complex process." The man said with a somewhat approving nod. I blushed slightly, not from any real embarrassment, but because I thought it would soften his hardened stance a little. It did work somewhat, in that he smiled again, this time a more genuine smile. I noticed Henry leaning forwards slightly, and settled back into my chair, telling him I was yielding to him. He spoke up right away.

"I've heard a lot of argument on the difficulties we face in trying to figure out how much money people have, or don't have. What companies possess, what their losses were, how loans are to be repaid, what penalties are assessed for outstanding debt, all these issues relating to the things that were happening before everything crashed." Henry said. "Just listening to the arguments makes my head spin in circles and I was thinking that a large part of our economic and financial system was based on the faith that people had in the economy, and what they believed the dollar was worth. People had to believe that the dollar was worth enough to buy a loaf of bread, not just the person buying the bread, but the store that sold it, the deliveryman that got it there, the company that made the bread, the people that grew the products to make the bread, and the shareholders of all the companies that are involved in this process, and that loaf of bread in turn related to the economic power of the nation as a whole, and the worth of that very dollar the person considers using to buy the bread in the first place."

"Again, a very simple description of a complex process, but a good picture of a single product's impact on an economic model." The same professor said and I smiled, leaning forward as Henry sat back in his chair. I reached into my suit coat pulling out a one hundred dollar bill. I held it up so everyone could see it.

"Can I buy a loaf of bread with this?" I asked.

"Not right now, no." The same professor replied. "That's what we're trying to fix. The currency has been devalued to the point where it's more useful as kindling than to buy something. Government interference in fuel production, transportation, and the food industry has only made solving issues more complex, especially since the government is being foolish in maintaining control over those systems while we're trying to re-establish a free-market economy."

"If the government didn't control those things right now, would you be here, well fed and arguing about this issue?" I asked him sharply and he actually winced slightly. "Where were you a month ago?"

"I was in Connecticut." He said angrily. "We had to go to a shelter after looters robbed us of our food in our very home!"

"Would you say the government actions of the last few months had improved the situation overall?" I asked him.

"Yes, but the government has to realize when its time to step back and let the market take over!" The man snapped even more angrily.

"The government does realize that it will have to do that and that the sooner it happens, the better." Henry said, leaning forward as he spoke and earning himself an approving look from the man. There was some muttering going on around the table, but it was a quiet murmuring and when I spoke up it ended.

"But the government cannot, and will not, step back until it is sure that the free market will meet the basic needs of the people the government serves." I said firmly. "The role of government is to ensure that the basic needs of its people are met. That they are safe, that they have the means to survive, and to earn a living. Last September, the government, and the free market failed the people of the United States, and for a moment, our society stood on the brink of total collapse."

"This symbol of that failure is worthless now." Henry said, taking the hundred dollar bill from my hand and holding it up. "It is worthless because we, as a government, and the free-market economy failed to perform its functions. This bill will remain worthless until people have faith that the government, and the economy will give them the opportunity to work again, to earn valuable currency with which they can pay for their homes and to put food on their table."

"Right now the government is putting the food on the tables." I said as Henry signaled me by moving back slightly and lowering the hand holding the bill up. "The government will continue doing so, making sure its people have food to eat, and we'll control oil and transportation as well to make sure that people can move around their hometowns, and to make sure they have electricity and heat for their homes through this winter, but as a society, we have to improve on that. The biggest problem we have is that between September 12th, and now, we have lost too much information on who owed who money, on what money was available, and on the faith in the power of the dollar to buy a loaf of bread that re-establishing the economy is nearly an impossible task."

"So Dylan and I are wondering why we're arguing about re-establishing something that was obviously broken?" Henry finished for me.

"We have to fix it because if we don't, no one will know how much money they do or don't have." A dark-haired and smartly dressed woman on the others side of the room said in a loud voice. "People had millions of dollars tied up in the economy, millions that they should still have, or might have lost. Either way, you can't expect people to invest money in an economy when they don't know what they have."

"If this is worthless, isn't it safe to say that no one has any money right now?" Henry asked, holding up the bill again.

"We're not saying people that don't have anything at all." I added quickly. "Obviously people still have physical possessions like homes, vehicles, furniture, clothes and stuff like that. What they don't have is money, cash."

"So, instead of trying to re-establish the old system, a system that failed and people are longer confident in, why not start over?" Henry asked.

"What exactly do you mean by 'start over' young man?" An elderly man with only a fringe of silver hair on his head asked. "I've spent my entire life building up my fortune and I don't like some kid telling me I have to start over in my sixties."

"First, in regards to cash, no one has any." I said, laying out the first part of the ideas Henry and I had come up with after talking to our professors late into last night. "Right now, the only things people have are the physical possessions they have, and before anyone asks about things taken by force during the last few months, anything in dispute such as home or property will be brought to the courts for them to decide. If people can prove the item was in their possession on September 12th, then it is theirs. If not, it belongs to the party that can prove such possession, or the state will take possession for disposal or eventual sale. Private property is, and always should be a cornerstone of America. Since we're looking at a situation where people have property, but no currency, and currency has always been issued by the government, it is up to the government to introduce a new form of currency."

"What would such a new currency be based on?" The woman who had spoken earlier asked with arched eyebrows.

"Not gold, or silver, or anything like that." Henry answered. "Instead, like at the time of the crisis, on the value of the economic forces, or at least at the start, the potential value of what we can produce as the economy gets started."

"The government will get things started, but that's it." I added. "Start with the value of the government's transportation, oil productions, and food production system, than the potential value of our economic output over the next year. Assign that a value, and that is the 'starting fund', like what a new business would have when they are starting out. The government can then allocate those funds to the states for their operations over the next year, for military operations, and most importantly for 'start-up' funds to the businesses that exist, or that people want to start. I understand that most government people won't have a good enough grasp on the functions of businesses and economy to decide what funds should be given to what companies, which is why economic experts like you will be needed to help make those decisions on those funds. Also, the money that is given to start up the new economy, well it's not the government's money, but the people's. It should be given to the businesses, not loaned. Banks, well they can get started the way the originally did, by convincing people to invest money with them. The government should guarantee deposits like it did before, to encourage such investment."

"What about debts?" Another older man asked. "People owed credit card companies billions and billions of dollars."

"Public and private debts are gone, just as is the money people use to possess." Henry answered. "I know that there was public debt, treasury bonds and the like, but those are gone too. It's a new start, and we have to make it work here, so that the rest of the world will go along. I talked to my friends over in Europe, and they said many of their leaders are thinking along the same lines, but are afraid no one will accept the idea because people want the value of their old investments back. I hate to say this, but Dylan is right: That money is gone. It was destroyed on September 12th and there's no way to get it back."

"What do you two geniuses have to say about publicly held companies?" The same old man further down at the table asked. His face had a grim expression on it, like he had tasted something particularly rotten.

"Those companies that still have surviving directors, even if its just one should be reformed, new directors and managers brought in to determine what the company needs to start operations again." Henry answered. "If there's too much gone, or the company's products aren't really viable for the economy at this time, the directors should say so. If they think it will be viable in the future, as things recover more, they can put the property in 'trust' with the government, and claim them within the next ten years or so. They can either procure start-up funds at that time from private lenders, or from the government if they can convince the right people. The other public corporations will be among the first to receive government grants to get started. As the basis of public corporations are shares, and they will not be able to pay workers well to start with, the workers, managers, and directors will be granted shares in the company as partial payment for their services. As the economy grows, there should be financial markets and enough cash to resume trading of shares, but it will take time for that to happen."

"A couple of things should be noted as well." I added quickly before the murmuring could grow after Henry had spoken. "First of all vital services, such as food distribution, transportation, health care, oil production and processing, as well as power generation will remain under government control for the immediate future. Too much depends on those functions for society's recovery to risk them failing. However, as government grows, it becomes more and more inefficient. Private businesses can often do the same things government can do, better and cheaper. As we recover and grow as a society, these functions will be turned over to private or public corporations. At first, they will be monitored and regulated by the government, but those will be relaxed over time as public confidence increases. Finally, we must be accountable to the people for what we do, or don't do. Business, and government leaders who fail to perform their duties due to gross negligence, who commit fraud, who steal from the public's trust will face stiff penalties. The Congress is already considering an extensive regulation that provides for such penalties throughout government, not only civil servants, but military and elected officials, and the penalties range from a decade in prison to the death penalty. The leaders of public corporations must be held to the same standards as government leaders, and they should face the same penalties."

"For all its strength, for all the good it did, the old system failed." Henry stated firmly into a nearly silent room. "We can sit here for the next ten years debating exactly why it failed, but it boils down to the basic principle that people lost faith in their government, and in their economic leaders, to provide and care for them. Returning to the old system will not rebuild that faith, and anything we do that way will fail. Radical action is needed, and starting over is the best way to do this. A few days ago, Congress unveiled a Constitution for the people to consider as we come out of the darkness of the last few months and into a new year. That constitution is not a new document, it is based on the same principles, the same values, and the same traditions as the original constitution, and it is already generating a lot of support from the people and a belief that the problems of the past that brought us to this point here, today, are being corrected."

"Changing the term of office for the President to five years instead of four is an example of the minor changes the new constitution hold." I stated, leaning forward and making eye contact with the older bald man who'd spoken before. "The most significant changes are the deletion of references to things like slavery, a black mark on the history of our country and something that does not belong in a document establishing our freedoms and rights as a people. Important principles, like the first Amendment's establishment of freedom of religion remain intact, absolutely unchanged, as does the freedom of the press and the rights of the people to protest its government's actions. More securities were added to prevent police misconduct, but no rights removed to protect people from overzealous prosecution. States remain strong in their own domains, and the rights of people to live free of discrimination are even stronger than before. The number of representatives in the House was changed to reflect our changing society and to allow it to function more efficiently, but how the elected officials are chosen, who can vote, and who can run for office are unchanged."

"What Congress did by issuing this new Constitution, which still remains most of the qualities of the old document on which our country was founded, was saying that they recognized the old government failed the people." Henry stated. "They said that since that government failed, they looked at the past, took everything that was good, made some changes to reflect what went wrong and to reflect our country as it is today, and started over. The people will vote soon, they will tell us whether we were right or wrong, and if what we're hearing is accurate, so far nearly eighty percent of them are saying that starting over after the tragedy of the last few months is the right way to proceed."

"If the government starting over is the right thing to do, why not starting the economy over as well?" I finished. "The United States of America has always been called the land of opportunity. We have suffered tragedy, loss, and death like no other generation before us. When the Civil War ended, the government changed our constitution to reflect those changes, but what we have suffered today outstrips even that devastation. We are starting anew here; let's start the economy anew again."

"It's not as easy as saying it and waving your hand." The same woman who had spoken earlier said softly. "So many things would have to be worked out. Everything from assessing the value of national productivity capacity to provide a basis for the establishment to what to call the new currency, to how it will be distributed has to be decided if we go with this approach."

"The first step for the financial group is to decide how much we're worth." Henry said.

"The first step for the Economic group is figuring out how people will fairly reform the Board of Directors for public companies and how to bring back workers and managers. The courts can handle issues of private corporations. Then, both groups have to get together and figure out how the government can distribute funds fairly and based on the needs of the nation, not of individuals."

"As for the name of the new currency, why change it from the Dollar?" Henry asked. "We are starting new, but the history of the United States is overall something to be proud of. We are the same country; the same people, so keep it the same."

"Neither of us have the training, or the education to answer the needs of this country in reestablishing our economy." I said, looking directly at the bald man who was now staring at me with an open, neutral look. "If this is to work, it will be you who do it, and you will be remembered as the architects of a new world. Sir, you won't be remembered as the man who made millions before the crash, and the man who just went on rebuild his fortune afterwards. You'll be known as one of the people who put this country back on its feet, and made it better than ever. You are damn good at what you do, or you wouldn't be here. We need your help, and with it I'm sure we'll succeed."

For some reason unknown to me, his smile in return was the turning point in that discussion, and both panels started eagerly discussing how to implement the 'Jacobs Economic Renewal Plan.'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My birthday had been celebrated with a big dinner, attended by mom, dad, Henry, most of the people on my staff, the entire Continental Congress, their families, the Vice-President, every General and Admiral in the area, and about four hundred more people. As had been requested, no one gave me any presents (the idea of gift giving in times that were still hard was not one I liked).

Henry's birthday a month later was celebrated in much the same fashion.

Our little show at the economic and financial groups meeting ended with a broad, sweeping plan that made my eyes glaze over while trying to read it, but was based on the basic principles we argued for. The first public opinion poll officially conducted in the nation since September of the last year showed Dad's approval rating at an unprecedented 94%. He laughed when the same poll showed Henry and I tied at 96%.

In late-January, early-February, Japan became a problem. They had refused to sign onto the Reykjavik Accords, and had been procuring oil independently. In late-January, they were edged out by the establishment of new World Currency Standards, and the resulting establishment of currency standards placed the Yen below currency from countries like Brazil.

It resulted in them being unable to procure oil, so they struck out at two Russian tankers, seizing them as the passed near Japan, headed for the Russian eastern port of Vladivostok. Russia, a signer of the Accords, requested assistance. Japan had been refusing negotiations with the United States over our troops held hostage on bases in their country, and threatened to harm those hostages if we intervened. French, British, and US submarines entered the area and sank half the Japanese Navy, and every tanker bound to or from their island nation in a matter of days.

While Henry was flying to England on Dad's plane for ceremonies associated with the first freighter filled with US grain, I was flying with Dad's new Secretary of State to Thailand. The 747 we flew on was one of the oldest in the Air Force's inventory, but it made the flight and I appeared on the cameras, beside John Francis Horning, III, as he opened the negotiations with the Japanese delegation.

It was a frustrating meeting, and I wondered if it would be better if we just nuked the damn place. They spent more time lodging 'formal complaints' about the effect of fallout reaching them from when we'd nuked China than they did discussing the issues at hand. Still, as I watched Secretary Horning deflect their complaints, and focus them on the issues at hand, I learned a lot about diplomatic negotiations.

I was also learning a lot from the professors assigned to me. They insisted on four hours per day, in two hour blocks and were relentless in making sure I met those minimums. They only insisted on classes five days a week, but if something interrupted one of them during the week, I got an extra class on Saturday or Sunday. I thought that before, with Professor Higgs and some of the other back in Modesto that I was being challenged mentally, but these four men and women made me realize that I really did have a lot to learn from them.

They divided my topics up, each focusing on a broad topic. These included the fields of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, Mathematics, English, Political Science, Sociology, and History. Professor Higgs still was on my staff, and despite some initial turf battles was generally acknowledged as the final arbiter on what subjects I learned as we progressed. Although they were also supposed to be spending time teaching Tim, Jimmy, and Sandy who still remained attached to my group, they all handled their lesson at different times than mine. They usually kept the three together at lessons, except for Tim's studying of Physical Sciences where he excelled (there was always, without exception one of my circle in the room with him, usually Jimmy, but occasionally someone would take his place, especially during his advanced lessons).

I also realized during those weeks that it would have been a mistake for us to travel to Utah so quickly. During those weeks my team got use to each other more and more. The bonding process with them had made them into a form of family that we had all started calling a 'circle'. Not only did they become use to each other, but they became familiar with Henry's own circle that he was forming, often reminding me of how cousins might interact.

The bonded people that had gone to Washington also provided us with valuable information about the affects of being separated from me for long period of time. After three weeks, they'd become noticeably edgy and had reported problems sleeping. A short visit by Henry and I had been arranged, publicly to check on the progress of the planes that were being refitted, but really to reestablish contact with our bonded people there. It also was used by the Secret Service and our guard details as a relatively safe run-through of their operations.

We had left after two days there, everyone pleased that the trip had been made. Our bonded people there became much more relaxed and were able to finish their duties without any other major problems. Our guard details had worked out the last kinks in how they operated, and Henry and I had gotten a first look our travel accommodations. Our professors had also gotten a good taste of how things would work while traveling and made some revisions. Mostly that affected the three officers who were assigned to teach me military issues (including a former helicopter pilot to teach me all about flying those machines as dad had promised. She had lost an arm in the early days of the crisis and now was assigned to my staff to teach me what was in effect a 'ground school' and to perform miscellaneous duties on the staff. Captain Unger had been promoted to Major and was now assigned as my Chief of Staff and still worked with me on Law and handling people.)

It was on February 21st that I stood at the terminal in Huntsville Alabama, watching as the huge 787 pulled up to the terminal and the sky bridge was extended. The huge plane looked essentially like a longer, wider, and taller 757, and gleamed in the early morning sunlight. It's new paint job was essentially similar to Air Force planes that were used by government officials, brilliant blue and white patterns elegantly covered the fuselage, on the sides of the plane, just below and close to the nose of the forward doors, was emblazoned the seal of the United States of America (not the Presidential Seal since Dad had no intention of using either of these planes). What wasn't normal though was the large, stylized DJ emblazoned below the seal in scarlet paint (scarlet was Harvard's colors and the professors who were standing nearby quietly applauded. Henry's plane had his initials on it in Yale blue). After about five minutes, Sergeant Mary Collins, the crew chief for my plane appeared in the boarding area wearing her gray-green flight suit and she came up to me and saluted.

"Mr. Jacobs, your plane is ready for you, sir." She said with a smile as I returned her salute. I was wearing my dress uniform, complete with the medals I'd received at Christmas for this occasion. A news camera and several regular photographers were all catching this for the evening news, although as had been requested by the Utah Government, no news crews were coming on this trip.

"Thank you Sergeant." I answered her aloud. "Please lead the way."

She turned smartly, leading the way down the boarding tube towards the plane. I followed behind her, with Jimmy, Tim, and Sandy all dressed in slacks and polo shirt following in a loose knot around me. Behind them, Paul Holt, a new Assistant Secretary of State who was the 'chief negotiator' for this trip walked in the midst of the officers and professors that made up my support staff. Bringing up the rear of the group were the enlisted members of my support staff with my guard detail moving behind them.

"Welcome aboard, Dylan." Colonel Hayworth, the pilot and commander of the plane said as soon as we stepped inside the hatch. We shook hands and he was smiling broadly.

"Thanks Colonel." I replied. "How are you enjoying this bird?"

"She's a bitch on take-off or landing, but she handles very nicely in the air." He answered with a wider grin. "The air crew love the private berths down below for the crew, Collins can't be happier about having two full galleys to cook with. We can hold enough food for a full passenger load for a week. She's equipped with enough communications equipment to operate a full brigade command center, there's enough room for sixty passengers not including the VIP cabins and your guard detail even has a full weight room and armory onboard."

"Sounds like heaven, then." I said with a smile. "Just so long as no one shoots a missile at us and ruins everything."

"If they do, we stand a good chance of surviving." He replied with another smile. "We've got a full IR/Radar jamming pod onboard, plus the newest chaff and flare system. Anyone shooting a SAM at us is going to have to be damn good to hit. We've even got a full military radar system on board with air-to-air and look-down functionality. No offensive weapons though."

"That's too bad." I joked. "I'm sure you'd love to shoot down another plane that got in your way."

He laughed for a moment before turning me over to Sergeant Collins who took me on a full tour of the plane while everyone got situated. While they had been preparing the plane in Washington, the civilian workers had gone all out in modifying the plane for my needs instead of the original design intentions. Most of the equipment they had needed was already on hand, or installed, so only minor changes were needed. They'd consulted with my support staff, and security detail to come up with a layout that I thought was absolutely astonishing.

The tour began below the main deck. In normal aircraft, these were un-pressurized cargo bays, but here, they were utility spaces for the crew and passengers. Unlike the main decks, there weren't paneled walls, and you could see the wiring and circuit panels that powered and operated the plane. There were three very small cabins that would be shared by the flight crew as they rotated through sleep cycles. They were literally nothing more than three tall lockers in each, a light, an alarm clock, and a single bunk. There was also the forward galley, a fully equipped kitchen for actually cooking meals instead of just heating them, and the related refrigerator and freezer which were fully stocked. This galley would be used to prepare meals for the flight crew, the VIP cabins (where I would stay), and the Guard Cabin (where my security detail were staying).

The only entrance to the below-deck space was from a hatch between the two forward doors and was locked by a security code known only to the flight crew, the guard detail, and me of course. Immediately aft of the entranceway was the communications shack, which featured coded security doors at both the forward and aft ends. Three-quarters of the space was taken up by communications gear of all types imaginable, printers of several different types and capabilities, and even a photocopier. Along the far right wall was a 'hot bunk' for the communications staffer who got the night duty.
Just aft of the communications shack was a narrow walkway the doors that opened into the VIP cabins. The doors also were locked by electronic codes. Each person with access to parts of the plane was given a personal code and that code would only open doors they were authorized to access. The pilot could access any cabin on the plane, except my personal bedroom. Everyone in my circle had authorization for every part of the plane, including the cockpit, something the pilot was unaware of, but had been entered by Air Force Sergeants Hegel and Roerich, the primary communications staff who had done the programming before the plane left Washington. The Air Force protocol required their work to be checked by each other, and both were bonded to me.

The passageway was paneled in rich oak, and the floor carpeted in soft, plush, air force blue. We didn't enter the VIP cabin yet, but rather entered the Security Cabin just aft of the VIP section. There was no security door between the two, and the narrow passageway opened onto a wide cabin that stretched the width of the plane, although it was less than half the length of the VIP section (the biggest section on the plane). Fourteen tubular seats, used most often on international first class flights were arranged throughout this cabin. Each seat, when upright would have been comfortable for even the tall, and wide Jim Higgs. However they also combined with a foot rest at the other end of the tube to combine a relatively comfortable bed. The tubular seats were arranged in pairs and spread out throughout the cabins so that people in one pair could rest in relative peace while someone in a nearby pair could play poker with their partner without worrying about their light bugging others.

The fourteen enlisted members of my detail were in the room, getting their gear set-up. Overhead luggage racks had been built into the cabin's roof so they could store spare uniforms, some personal items like books, and similar stuff. Each tube seat section also had various hooks and other equipment that they were able to stow their weapons, body armor, helmet and related gear in a place that was readily accessible. On the left rear section of the cabin there were two lavatories, slightly larger than the average plane lavatory. On the rear right side was a small cabin inside of which Lt. Paul Connors was currently stowing his gear. I knew already that it held a locker large enough for his gear, a small desk and chair, as well as a regular single bunk. He was still getting adjusted to being an officer and didn't understand why he couldn't just sleep with his men in the main cabin, but Major Unger had given him a lecture about maintaining the proper decorum of an officer (Major Unger, as my Chief of Staff was technically in command of all the military officers and staff except the Aircrew, and he 'consulted' with the Colonel who was in command of them and the plane itself. The civilian professors were technically under Professor Higgs, who 'consulted' with Major Unger when necessary).

There were two security doors in the aft section of the cabin that led further back into the plane. They were open right now, but would be closed for take-off and remain closed until we landed. This next cabin was the Operations cabin. In the center of the cabin, which was an open area, was a small conference table that could hold four people comfortably. In the aft and forward areas of this section, on either side of the conference table were a pair of tubular seats. Knight and Darby, the sailors (also members of my circle) assigned to my Public Relations Officer Lt. Martha Ellington were placing their gear in overhead bins similar to those in the Guard cabin. The aft pair of seats was where Army Sergeants Botha and Cyrus, who worked for Major Unger on supply, communications, and other duties were stowing their own gear. Both men were new to the staff, and also the newest members of my circle. They were the guys who made sure we had food stocked, bullets, guns, uniforms, paper, toner for the fax machines and copiers, and all the other necessities the plane and staff ran on. The left side of the cabin was walled off, a door leading to what I knew were the cabins of Army Major Unger and Marine Captain Camus. Camus was Major Unger's assistant and both men also were instructors for me in military subjects that they rotated through. The right side of the plane also was walled off forming cabins for my Public Relations officer, Navy Lt. Martha Ellington and my other military instructor Army Captain Nadine Grass.

There was also another hatch on the left side of the plane that led down into the Staff galley in the converted cargo hold. It also held a small weight room, and a security locked armory with heavier weapons that while not normally carried, were considered useful if the need arose (mostly grenade launchers, some explosives, and anti-tank missiles). There was a small lavatory in each set of cabins and the enlisted men could use the lavatories in the Security cabin or in the last cabin.

The doors to the last cabin were the most secure on the plane. Although all the security doors were bullet proof, these were thicker and could withstand some pretty heavy punishment. The last cabin was the Guest cabin and contained 18 large seats that reclined fully and were comfortably spaced, if less comfortable than the tubular seats. It was empty for this flight and I noticed that several people had already stored extra gear in the overhead bins. It was designated for news crews or other miscellaneous civilians not a part of my staff or considered a VIP. Although not as nice as the other cabins, it featured televisions with each seat that connected to a computer system allowing people to play some pre-programmed games as well as watch broadcasts on the plane's satellite receiver and DVD movie system. There was a work area in the back that connected to a printer and a fax machine that could be turned on or off from the forward communications cabin. The lavatories were even the same size as those forward, much more comfortable than a third class airline flight.

I followed Mary Collins back forward after indicating my pleasure at the final finishing of the plane. The VIP section on the left side was assigned to the civilian professors. The entrance from the narrow passageway led to a common area with a small table for four, a counter on which sat a coffee pot, small sink and a small refrigerator. Six doors led to small cabins that would each hold a double size bed, a small desk, and a large locker. Five of the cabins were permanently assigned to the professors on my staff and the sixth was reserved for any 'VIP' that might travel with us, in this case the Assistant Secretary of State, Mr. Paul Holt. Professor Higgs was already into a full-blown argument with Professor O'Reilly, something about one of my courses. They stopped, gave me a cool greeting and then continued their argument. I just smiled and left the area before I got dragged into whatever they were arguing about.

The right VIP section was the area that I would be spending most of my time in. The first security door led into the 'conference' section of my quarters. It held a table that could easily seat twelve people. A counter on the rear wall held more printers, a small copier, the wireless router for the cabin (each cabin except the Guest cabin had a wireless router connecting it to the plane's computer network system located and controlled from the communications center). Below the counter were cabinets holding various supplies (ranging from food products to coffee to office supplies). The aft wall held one large plasma flat screen that could be used as a television or overhead display, or any number of useful things. A security door immediately to my left led to a room about one and a half times the size of the Professors' cabins. In this cabin, when I poked my head inside, Tim Pierson, his bonded friend Sandy, and Jimmy were putting away their stuff into three lockers. The room also had three single beds, and a fairly large flat-panel television connected to the plane's DVD system stocked with over fifty movies. The last door on the left (forward) side of the room led a very small office. Two small desks were crammed into this space. The right desk, with a porthole window above it, was the one Darren Knight, who has assigned as my personal assistant would use when he was in the area. The other desk was the security desk and had several flat-panel screens that showed scenes covered by cameras throughout the plane. It was empty now, but after take-off and as long as I was onboard the plane, it would be manned continuously by one of my security detail. From here they could see everywhere on the plane, and even scan the perimeter of the plane from cameras on the outside of the fuselage. It was connected to the plane's networks systems as well, but could operate autonomously from the communications center, even transmitting over a single, encrypted radio band in case of trouble.

The door on the other side of the cramped office space led to my own cabin. Here was the biggest surprise for me. The room was spacious, but a large, king-size bed filled the forward part of the plane. Several windows were letting the outside light inside, but the room had a lighting system that could be set from bright to dim, to totally dark. A curtain would close off the sleeping area (there was a dresser along the inside wall). There was also a desk with a large comfortable chair in it (bolted to the floor of course), and two chairs in front of it, all located in the front section. In the sleeping area, just forward of the dresser was a door that led into a bathroom that actually formed the forward wall of the cabin Tim, Sandy and Jimmy occupied. Both my cabin and theirs shared the larger bathroom, complete with a shower stall. The doors were coded so that if their door was open, mine wouldn't open, and vice versa to maintain security. There was also a one way mirror put in so that if the plane was boarded, it could be seen if someone was in the bathroom.

"The bed is new." I stated, noting that it now was flush against the fuselage of the plane instead of a night table being on that side, and the clearance with the narrow dresser was just enough to open the drawers.

"This way when Jimmy sneaks into your bed at night, someone else can sneak in as well." Mary replied with a laugh. I kissed her on the cheek gently and she blushed.

"Attention crew and passengers, this is Colonel Hayworth." Our pilot's voice sounded over the speaker system. "I hope everyone's making yourselves comfortable in our new mobile home. You have another fifteen minutes before we take off. Flight crews, please begin pre-flight lockdowns. Security and communications staffs are advised to make final preparations to commence standard mission operations. All computer and entertainment systems will be activated once we have reached our cruising altitude. The seat belt warning will go on in about five minutes and everyone's reminded I don't appreciate people not wearing them. Mr. Jacobs found this out back in Idaho and got a nice bruise for that, I'd hate to have to remind anyone again. Our flight time to Tucson is two hours and twenty minutes today. We'll have a three-hour layover in Tucson for Mr. Jacobs to say hi to the locals while we working stiffs refuel the plane. After Mr. Jacobs is done kissing the babies we'll be back in the air for a two hour flight to Salt Lake City. There's a minor weather disturbance expected on our way there but we should be able to climb above any turbulence. Let's get this show on the road."

"He's in a good mood." I noted aloud and Mary laughed softly.

"I think he's fallen in love with this plane." She told me with that lilting tone of hers she showed whenever she was in a very good mood. "I heard him calling her 'Anna' the other day. When the pilot names the plane, he's in love."

"Just as long as he doesn't hump the plane where I can see it." I joked and she laughed again.

"Well, I need to get going." She said and I nodded at her as she left. My gear had already been unpacked by one of the crew, I noticed as I checked the dresser and wardrobe. The room was done up in oak and dark green and I found I liked its overall effect. Halpern poked his head inside and told me he'd be at the security station before he shut the door.

I went ahead and sat at the desk, bored for a few minutes, and relishing that feeling. It wasn't often I was bored or alone anymore and I'd found these few moments were relaxing. Still, my head was full of information, concerns, worries, plans, and other things that I didn't really want to focus on. I purposely ignored the plans in motion for five years from now, not wanting to go over that again. I got a headache every time I thought about it since I was no closer to an answer than I had been a few weeks ago.

When the pilot announced we were preparing to taxi and ordered seat belts fastened, I almost left the belt on my seat unfastened, but decided at the last moment to be the good boy. No one would have known if I hadn't…unless something happened during take-off and I fell on head. Then I'd never be alone in my new cabin again during take-off or landing. Luckily, the chair swiveled so I turned to look out at the airport speeding past as we built up speed before leaping into the air.

I loved that little floating sensation as the plane took to the air. It seemed like for that one moment I myself was flying. Captain Nadine Grass, a short, black woman, very petite but a real whirlwind when she was in a hurry had been a Blackhawk pilot for five years before the crash that had taken her arm. Now she was teaching me about the principles of flight, helicopters, and lots of stuff I never imagined related to making those machines work. She didn't get more than two or three hours a week with me, and who knows when I'd actually be behind the stick of a helicopter, but at least dad's promise was being kept.

"Hey Dylan." Jimmy's voice was cheerful as he came through the bathroom door barely thirty seconds after the seat belt light had been turned off.

"Don't tell me you've gotten sick of Tim and Sandy this quickly?" I asked him and he laughed, moving around the bed and sitting on the edge of the desk, moving his foot so that his tennis shoe was pressed lightly against my crotch.

"Promise me one thing, oh great master." He said in a tone that was half-joking, half-serious. He only used the phrase 'great master' when he was really worried about something.

"What is it now?" I asked. The last time he'd asked this was when Tim had told Sandy to sit down and stop bugging him. He'd left Sandy in that seat for nearly a day before asking Jimmy where Sandy was. Tim seemed to forget things like that sometime, or forgot what effects what he said to Sandy could be taken as a literal order. I was very careful about jokes after hearing about that from Jimmy, making sure it was clear I was joking when people hearing it were my bonded.

"Tim finally asked Sandy why he didn't talk because he really wanted to hear Sandy talk again." Jimmy said with what could only be an evil grin. "I left because Sandy started talking again, yelling at Tim who was just staring at him wide-eyed."

"Oh man, that's bad." I sputtered out amidst a bout of laughter. Jimmy was laughing as hard as I was and actually had to wipe some tears from his eyes.

"You know what the first thing Tim said when Sandy took a breath?" Jimmy asked when he'd gotten better control of his laughter.

"Why didn't you just write out that I'd told you to not talk?" I asked, having wondered why Sandy hadn't done that.

"Basically, and Sandy yelled that Tim had said 'shut up! I don't want to know!' and that it kept Sandy from even writing about the fact that Tim had told him not to talk because it would remind him of what they were talking about when Tim gave that order." Jimmy explained, laughing even more.

"What were they talking about that would make Tim tell him to shut up." I asked.

"Sex." Jimmy said, and we both laughed harder.

"C'mon trouble maker." I said, lifting Jimmy's foot out of my chair. "You've got classes starting soon and I have that meeting with Martha and Darren about my speech. Whose teaching you guys this morning?"

"Professor Hopkins." Jimmy said with a smile and I couldn't help but snicker as we passed through the small office. Halpern reached a hand that both Jimmy and I smacked as we passed him and went into the conference room. Lt. Martha Ellington, who had finally gotten everyone but the security detail and Major Unger to call her by her first name, was already pouring a cup of coffee.

"I thought you were in you room." She said to Jimmy when we entered the conference room. She had a slight frown on her face.

"Why would you think that?" He asked her, trying to keep from laughing.

"I was going to remind you three you had lesson and heard some yelling going on." She said with a frown. "I thought you and Tim were having a fight."

"No, Sandy and Tim are having a fight." Jimmy answered just as she took a sip of the coffee, which of course went flying across the room.

"Since when did Sandy start talking again?" She demanded in surprise and I almost said something to keep him from saying the real reason.

"I think he finally got fed up with something Tim was telling him to do." Jimmy said and I relaxed slightly. I should have known Jimmy would know not to talk about things that she had no business knowing.

"Well maybe you better go remind them they have classes." She told him and Jimmy nodded, heading over to the door. I got my first hint of Sandy's voice as the door opened. It was loud, and it was deep, far deeper than any voice had a right being on someone as short and thin as that boy. The yelling ended abruptly and all three of them came out of the room, Jimmy grinning like a fool, Sandy looking smugly satisfied, and Tim looking pole-axed. Jimmy led them out of the cabin and across the hall into the teacher's area where they'd be holding their lesson.

I went and grabbed a cup of coffee myself, smirking when I saw large container of sugar marked "Dylan's" and the refrigerator under the counter also held a very large container of cream marked with my name. It was a joke to one time in Idaho when we'd run short of real cream and sugar. Someone had used the last of the cream and I threw a fit, refusing to drink coffee for two days because we only had powdered cream. I sat down at the table next to Martha, who was busy looking over some papers and watched as more people came in. I laughed as more people came in, emptying the large coffee pot. Most of them reached into the fridge, using the cream marked with my name after making sure I saw them doing it, and then sitting down, sipping their coffee with very pleased grins.

Sometimes military humor was very weird.

The meeting that took place a few minutes later was the first one for all of us in that room. At the table all the officers were sitting down as Major Unger started things off. The enlisted members of the security detail stood around the room, listening and watching as Major Unger and Captain Camus gave a rundown of the Tucson stop and the paths our vehicles would take. Mary Collins was followed by Michelle Terry and Sarah Jenson, the other two bonded Air Force crew members who served as stewardesses while the plane was in the air and maintenance technicians, came in with several plates of diced fruit as snacks. Fresh fruit was definitely a luxury food these days and Martha grabbed one of the plates immediately to pass around to the officers.

Arizona had fared far better than many other states for several reasons. Believe it or not, the nuclear destruction of Phoenix had reduced the Arizona population almost by half. Last week, the Palo Verde Nuclear Power Generation station that had once supplied power to Phoenix came back online and was powering half the states. At the same time, solar power panels were springing up, making power in the remaining cities of the state reach ninety percent of homes. They were also the first state to receive the new currency being printed out in several places including San Francisco and Cleveland.

This trip to Tucson, while for me a minor stop before the business awaiting me in Utah, was a major news event and would be broadcast live. I'd never thought buying a loaf of bread would be so important, but one of the first privately owned grocery stores to be re-opening in the nation was in Arizona, and I'd be their first customer, buying a loaf of bread with the first of the new gold/green dollar bills that I'd been given this morning.

It was also important because Tucson was the city that had more cars back on the road than anywhere else. Most were hybrid or electric vehicles that had become extremely popular in the state over the last two years. Their gas prices, because of different issue with moving gas from California into Arizona had rise to over five dollars a gallon before the oil crisis had really started. They'd been closer to six dollars a gallon when my first dad had been griping about four dollars a gallon. Now, six months later, most of their power was generated from non-oil based sources, and their consumption of gas was so low that even civilians were using it again, and they still used less per person than any other state, with only New Mexico coming close to them in conservation.

The Arizona Model, as it was coming to be called was something many other states were trying to reproduce, and the two car companies that had reformed were spending a good portion of their start-up money studying what worked with the these vehicles. There was talk of motors that would soon get close to 100 miles to the gallon being available by the end of the summer. Despite all this, none of us beyond the new Secretary of Transportation had visited the state. My stop here was meant to be the first trip by what was being called the Presidential Family.

When the briefing ended, I spent the rest of the flight going over my speech that I would give after buying the loaf of bread. I'd appeared on camera, and in front of crowds several times now so I wasn't too nervous, but I still was unprepared for what awaited us as we landed. There was a crowd of about ten thousand people waiting for us when I descended the plane's ladder. The cheering was louder than anything I'd heard before and I almost forgot to wave until Martha hissed it into my ear. The line of police and local National Guard troops barely held the crowd back behind the barricades and I was stunned as I got into the armored personnel carrier that was part of my support team's transportation group. There were two of these vehicles, and two Secret Service black armored SUV (that both consumed as much fuel as the military vehicles). All of the vehicles were transported by two transport teams that also carried the back up teams, another fifty soldiers and Secret Service agents in total.

It felt totally weird to walk into a grocery store for the first time in six months. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been inside one. It must have been with my first mother, but I really didn't remember. It wasn't as bright and colorful as the grocery stores of my memory, and as the store owner, a short, balding man, gave me a tour, but it had food on the shelves, fresh fruit and vegetables available, and fresh meet as well. There was even milk in the refrigerator section. Of course I really wasn't there to shop, but the cameras got every second of the store owner talking to me about how they'd gotten started, how the suppliers and distributors were getting going, and how people were excited about getting food from a store again, with money, instead of at a shelter or government distribution point with vouchers or ration cards. For a few weeks, the store would still accept the voucher and ration cards, getting cash in return from the government for them, but this was the first real sign that America was becoming America again.

I picked up my loaf of bread, a sourdough round loaf, actually, paid for it with the dollar dad had given me. The cashier actually had tears in her eyes when she took the dollar, ringing the sale up on the cash register and putting it in the till. The store owner immediately grabbed it out and asked me to pose with him for a picture, which I did. He explained he'd be framing the picture and the dollar, and hanging them above the store's main entrance. After that, I walked out of the store and was hustled onto a nearby platform where I was going to give my speech. Like at the airport, the street in front of me with thousands of people (I'd later learn that over forty thousand people had shown up for this, lining the airport, my expected travel routes, and the downtown area where I gave my speech. They'd set up big screens and speakers so everyone could hear all over the area). As I assembled the stage, the state governor and mayor were waiting. We stood there, shaking hands and talking very briefly. It was warm outside, almost eighty-five degrees and the sky was a clear, cobalt blue that made my eyes water slightly. A much nicer day than it had been back in Alabama. The Governor gave her speech (she'd survived the nuclear blast in Phoenix by the pure luck of having visited Tucson on that day and immediately set up the state capitol there), followed by the Mayor who had been given the honor of introducing me. As he spoke about how things had been so bad, and were now finally turning around, and the honor of being the first real store to reopen in the new economy, and my 'role' in what was being hailed as a brilliant economic plan (and it was, but my part had only been to shock people and redirect the focus of the discussion, and it had been both Henry and I that did that, and we'd only managed it after hours of study with dad, mom, and all ten of our professors from Harvard, Yale, and of course Professor Higgs). Still, I realized the truth didn't matter, what mattered was that Henry and I were viewed as the two main 'architects' of this new, what many were calling the 'real', recovery. As I stood up at the podium and lifted the round loaf of sourdough bread, I realized that dad's Cult of Personality was blooming, and I needed to make a decision soon about whether I'd participate fully, because if I waited too much longer, I'd be trapped into the role, whether I wanted it or not. I stood there, standing a the podium, the loaf of bread clearly visible in my hands, pondering my future as people clapped and shouted for minute after minute, finally softening into a silence waiting for me to speak. I realized that it really was too late for me, that no matter what I decided about dad's plans, the Cult of Personality had already begun, and if I didn't grab it, I could get burned. I looked out over the crowd of people, their seething mass looking more like one unbroken sea than thousands of individuals. The bright Arizona day made my waters as I looked out over them. I slight smile rose on my lips, and I knew that my dress uniform was practically sparkling in that bright light. Martha, Knight, and Darby really had written a brilliant speech for me, and the opening line was one that I knew would be very damn popular for a long time.

"Dad heard that you folks had a loaf of bread for sale and told me to go get one for him. I hopped on my jet, flew a couple hundred miles to get here, had another plane fly out a car to drive me from the airport to the store and now I've got the loaf of bread my dad wanted. You want to know what really sucks? I can fly all the way out here on my own and I still had to borrow that dollar from dad because I'm not old enough collect a paycheck yet."

The rest of the speech was filled with memories of the horrible past few months, made several references to how such a beautiful day was a symbol of the new day that was dawning for the nation, bright and warm after the dark times of the past months, and how a loaf of bread could be a humble sign that things are truly becoming better, even if I did have to borrow the dollar from dad.

We ended up being in Tucson for four hours because it took us that long to make our way through the crowd of people, and for me to shake as many hands and sign as many pieces of paper as I could before my hands were too sore to grip another hand or hold another pencil. I felt exhausted when we got on the plane, and plopped down on a seat in the conference room for take off. I watched the loaf of bread move slightly as the plane lifted off of the ground and once more into the air, pondering the future five years from now.

"Dylan, stop brooding." Paul's voice came from the doorway after we'd reached our cruising altitude. I looked up in surprise as he came into the room, followed by every member of my circle on board. Michelle, the tall blond Air Force stewardess that had been one of the last members bonded to me was smiling as she laid out a towel on the conference table, moving the loaf of bread to the counter while Sarah, the short, brown haired stewardess began setting some stuff out on the counter and plugged something looking decidedly evil-looking into an outlet.

"Um, Paul, what's everyone doing here?" I asked nervously. Wouldn't this raise people's suspicion?

"All the officers except the pilots are back in the Operations cabin with Tim and Sandy, as are the professors, trying to figure out why he's talking now. The pilots are all going over procedures if the Mormons try to shoot us down, and they all know we're having a little initiating ceremony here, although they don't know the specifics of everything."

"Paul…" My voice was a warning, and I was feeling decidedly nervous.

"Dylan, you've bonded all of us to you, made us a family." Paul said and I noticed that Jimmy was there as well. "We all remember your reaction seeing all of Cyrus' tattoos when you bonded him, and he had an idea that we all thought was great. So, we did it."

"What did you do?" I asked.

"Well, you see I'm a pretty good artist" Michelle said with a smile, holding the device Sarah had plugged in. "Cyrus got me the equipment and I figured out how to work it real well."

"Show him Jimmy." Paul said with a soft smile to the youngest of those I'd bonded. "You're the first of us so you show yours."

"We all got tattoos, Dylan." Jimmy said, turning around and lifting up the back of his shirt while Paul pulled his pants down a bit. There was a thick red circle, twined by a blue vine, and with gold 'D' in the middle of it.

"Oh wow, that's so cool." I said, motioning for Jimmy to come around where I could run my fingers over it. "I get the scarlet circle, but the blue vine and why a gold 'D'?

"The blue vine represents your brother, Henry." Paul said with a smile. "The gold, well, that's because gold's always something that's been precious, and to us, you're precious."

"That's…" I started to say sweet, but these were soldiers.

"Sentimental"

"Sappy"

"Cute"

"Blame it on you finally bonding some women." Darby's voice drowned it on the others and he ducked when Mary swung at him. Everyone laughed.

"Now it's your turn, sucker." Cyrus, the Army supply specialist yelled out. The man was absolutely covered with tattoos and I figured they picked the spot because it was one of the few not already covered on his body.

"What if…" I started to hedge but Paul shook his head.

"I had a little chat with your dad. As long as it's not easily visible, he won't object." Paul said. "Not many people know it, but he's got a very small one himself from his first unit. We're your first unit so when I said your security detail wanted to do something like this, he gave us permission."

"Oh man…" I said with wide eyes, worried about the pain.

"Get naked, bud." Jimmy said, turning around and letting his shirt down. He was smiling widely as he and Paul stood me up and started undressing me. I was embarrassed at first, but realized that by now every single one of these people had seen me nude, and we'd had sex at least once. Modesty really wasn't an issue for me now.

The needle hurt a little, but soon became somewhat erotic. I was tempted, but an orgy with twenty-four people packed into this room so that there was barely room to stand was not a good idea. As it was I knew those that could sneak off afterwards probably would from the way they were reacting. It was nearly forty minutes, not twenty minutes later that Michelle was done, and a mirror was brought out for me to look at the scarlet circle on my back, entwined with a blue vine, and twenty-four gold stars around the outside and along the inside of it. There was a bunch of hooting and hollering as Jimmy rubbed some solve onto the tattoo and I was hauled off the table and thrown my clothes to get dressed again.

"Thanks guys." I said wit a smile on my face, not sure exactly what had happened, but seeing the smiles on their faces made me realize it had been important to them.

"I take it from the hollering that you folks are done with whatever you were putting Dylan through?" Major Unger's voice made all of us a jump slightly.

"Yes, Major, we're done." Paul called out from next to me.

"Good, then clear out, we have a lot to go over and we just entered Utah airspace." The Major ordered and people began clearing out when the plane's speaker system came to life.

"Heads up people, we have inbound contacts closing. Missile range in three minutes." Colonel Hayworth's voice had a harsh edge to it, and the room emptied immediately. Major Unger walked into the room, looking at the recently used tattoo equipment. He held up the needle gun, staring at it for a moment before smiling.

"Which one of them is the artist?" Unger asked calmly while my blood was racing and heart pounding.

"Uh, Terry." I answered after my brain processed his simple question.

"I was wondering why the let the air force and squids in on this." Unger said with a small smile. He clapped me on the back. "Good choice going along with their little initiation. Your dad warned me that they'd be doing something like this and that he'd given his permission."

"Was I the only one who didn't know?" I gasped in surprise.

"I think your mom doesn't know." Major Unger said thoughtfully. "Henry didn't know either. I heard he's getting one too. The men like you two. Respect like that from the enlisted ranks isn't something easy to get, and a powerful leadership tool only a fool wastes. You're young right now, but a blind man can tell you're being groomed for a leadership role. Don't throw away loyalty when it's given like this."

"Believe me Major, I know that already." I said, thinking he had no real idea just how loyal these people were. Every single one of them would rip apart, literally, if I ordered it, and they'd do it without hesitation.

"Mr. Jacobs, you're needed in the cockpit." Colonel Hayworth's voice came over the speaker system, and Unger followed me as I headed up to the plane's nerve center.

I had a feeling that this was going to be biggest challenge I had faced yet.

©Copyright 2008; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 16
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Excellent chapter! Dylan’s new plane is amazing and I think that his circle will be more comfortable. By the way, in a previous chapter You stated that the plane was a 797, but in this chapter you made it a 787. The Tucson trip will definitely boost morale around the country. The Utah portion of the trip is going to be much more difficult and dangerous, the Profit won’t give up control easily, the deputy Secretary of State will have his hands full. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter!😃❤️

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..