Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Space Pioneer 2 - The Titan Plot - 3. Chapter 3

Lest had just confirmed the delivery when Perez sent a message to his neural implant and informed him that he deal was settled. Lest went to the broker’s office. Perez greeted him and motioned to a conference table.

"What’s wrong, Perez?" Lest asked, sitting down. "I thought the deal was settled."

Perez sat down and propped his elbows on the table between. "Listen, Lest, I can double the amount. 300,000 credits for not only transferring the cargo, but transporting a few passengers as well."

Lest gave Perez a sour look. "You should have told me earlier, Perez. My ship is not a passenger ship," he said.

"It’s not a cargo ship either," Perez replied. "Some transports require special ships and your ship is exactly what I’m looking for."

"Why? Because it can fly in stealth mode and I can shoot my way out?" Lest asked.

Perez smiled amiably and motioned to a henchman standing by a back door. The man entered the back room upon the sign. Lest looked after him suspiciously. The man came back, carrying two glasses. He placed them in front of Perez and Lest. Lest could tell from the exotic smell that the glasses were filled with hot Serena tea, a rare and expensive brand from a planet at the edge of Alpha Centauri.

"Enjoy," Perez said seizing his glass.

Lest seized his glass and took a sip.

Perez put his glass back on the table, then smiled at Lest. "I sold you updated hardware and software. I know the Horus is a warship with the latest equipment. You need not bother about the cargo and neither about the four passengers. They’re just in need of a safe trip. Unload the cargo on Rho 59 and let the three men and the woman get off the ship. And off you go with the Horus. Here’s to you," Perez said, raising his glass.

Lest measured the man. He was thinking. "Okay, Perez," he said finally. "Half the sum in advance and the rest upon arrival on the dwarf planet."

"One third in advance, one third upon unloading cargo and passengers, and the rest upon your return," Perez said.

"One third in advance, and the rest upon unloading passengers and cargo," Lest replied, leaning back in his chair.

"That’s fine with me," Perez replied with a curt smile. He rose to his feet and motioned to the man by the back door.

The man hurried to the front door and locked it, then retreated to the back room. Perez went to the counter and made a subtle sign to Lest to join him. The dealer produced a fountain pen and drew up the contract.

"Some things on Cyrus are like in the very old days," Lest said, looking at the pen.

"Paper can burn and leave no trace," Perez replied. "The old days were not as bad as some say they were."

He pushed the paper over the counter. Lest read the contract and signed it. Perez signed as well and then copied the paper with a backward copy machine. He handed the copy to Lest, then seized a payment gadget and entered the number of Lest’s ship account.

"Transfer of credits is safe as always," Perez said. "The electronic trace will lead into nowhere."

Lest didn’t reply. He checked the credit amount on the display and nodded at Perez. Perez pressed a button and 100,000 credits were transferred to the Horus account.

"Speaking of tracing," Lest said. "Any news on what happened to the Cleus ship that went into the Sirrah no-go zone?"

Perez looked up and measured Lest. "Why, captain? Just being curious?" he asked.

"Just interested in the fate of the doomed ship," Lest replied.

Perez didn’t reply. He crossed the room instead, unlocked the front door and opened it. He smiled amiably at Lest.

Lest followed the man reluctantly and stopped by the door. "Okay, Perez," he said. "I’ll let you know once passengers and cargo are off board."

Perez gave a barely visible nod. "Cargo and passengers will get to your ship within the hour," he said.

Lest turned to leave.

"Ah, captain, as to the Cleus ship," Perez said.

Lest turned back to the man.

"I heard it took off from Cleus with four passengers on board, three men and a woman, Titans all. They were not on board of the ship when it was found in the no-go zone. The Empire of Titania is not happy with the developments. It is said Tiana, Tian Mu’s daughter, was on board of the Cleus ship and is since missing," Perez said. "It is said the group landed on Alpha And with a shuttle and left the hub with a stolen Atkon gunship. It’s even said the group fled to Cyrus. A lot of speculation is going on. Most theories are far-fetched conspiracy theories, though. One thing is sure, however. The group can only escape under cover as the entire Empire of Titania is after them. Business with you is always my pleasure, captain. Good luck on your trip." the dealer said with an amiable smile and closed the door before Lest could say a word.

"Son of a bitch," Lest spat, glaring at the closed door.

He turned away and shot the people in the corridor dark looks. They eyed him warily and stepped out of his way.

"What’s wrong? Can I help you?" a tall and slim female, dressed in a catsuit, asked him. Her big violet eyes were resting on him.

"Actually not," Lest replied, straightening. He took a deep breath. "I have a warship, you know. I can always shoot my way out," he said.

"That’s nice to hear," the alien female said, her look growing more intense and her light pink skin reddening. "I like men who know how to handle things, you know. They’re rare to find in space these days. How about you tell me more? I’d be interested to listen to you. How about we go to the SBH?"

SBH was short for stellar black hole. Lest was staring at the female. Her lips curled into a smile. Then it dawned on Lest. The SBH was a popular brothel on the sixth floor. Lest backed away.

"I don’t have much time," he said apologetically, turned away and hurried down the corridor.

The female shouted something after him, but Lest blocked it out. He started to run.

Lest hurried back to the ship and went straight on the bridge. He didn’t greet his crew and sat down with a frown. The men exchanged puzzled looks.

Hulton entered the bridge, coming back from the malls. "All on board already? Are we ready to go?" he asked.

"Not yet, but cargo and passengers will arrive within the hour," Lest said in a grumpy voice.

"What?" Hulton asked, sounding appalled. "More people on board of the ship? Why didn’t you tell us, captain? I don’t like it crowded."

"Passengers?" Jeff asked. "How many and who?"

The men were staring at the captain. Lest shifted in his seat uncomfortably and then called Midad and the engineers on the bridge. He reported what Perez had told him. The men looked shocked.

"They killed the Cleus crew, escaped with the shuttle and mag-locked it to the Orean ship. They stole the Atkon gunship and fled to Cyrus," Lest summarized the now apparent facts.

"This explains why the Atkon ship turned back and almost collided with the Horus," Jeff said. "They saw the Titan warship and, acting on an impulse, fled."

"Who are the men? Terrorists?" Le’Ton asked.

"Everything points to it," Lest said sourly.

"The Titans won’t let them go. They won’t let Tian Mu’s daughter in the hands of the kidnappers," Doctor Midad said.

"My thought," Lest said curtly.

"Who is Tian Mu?" Jeff asked.

"The head of The Empire of Titania," Lest replied.

"This means trouble. We’re in a mess," Corr stated the obvious.

"Well, the Horus is a very advanced and fast ship, a Daglon warship that can fly in stealth mode. We can always shoot our way out. Perez words, not mine," Lest replied.

"I must say this deal doesn’t exactly speak in favor of your circumspection, captain," Hulton said. "Don’t get me wrong. No offense meant, but I always prefer stating the facts. Did the sum of 300,000 credits blind your good judgment?"

Lest grimaced and waved his hand. "You’re absolutely right, Hulton," he said. "The problem is I can’t step back from the deal. I don’t know what would be more dangerous, Perez coming after me or the Empire of Titania."

"We don’t have much of choice anyway," Jeff said. "I’m not happy with the job. I know our jobs are often borderline, but I don’t want to end up like a common criminal. This job is clearly on the illegal side. It’s..."

"Yes," Lest interrupted him. "We’ve entered a no-gone zone and I’m by no means happy with it," he said. He focused on his neural implant, then rose to his feet. "The cargo’s delivered and the passengers have arrived in the hangar and are ready to board the ship."

***

The men moved to the cargo bay. Lest opened the hatch, stepped out on the ramp and looked down. Perez’ henchman was standing next to the ship in company of three men and a woman. A transport vessel was parked next to ship.

Lest descended the ramp and mustered the passengers. The woman was dressed in a long bright-red dress. A scarf covered her hair and her face was veiled. The three men were dressed in black cargo pants and tight-fitting sweaters. The heads of two were shaved, the other man had full black hair. One look sufficed to see they were either well-trained soldiers or hired guns.

Lest reached the end of the ramp. He turned to Perez’ henchman. The man stepped forward.

"Perez arranged your ship can take off within the hour. The men will load the crates into your ship and secure them in the cargo bay," he said, making a sign to a couple of men waiting by the transport vessel.

Lest gave a nod. "The bay is prepared," he said.

The men started carrying the crates into the Daglon warship.

Lest mustered the passengers. "Who are they?" he asked, turning to Perez’ henchman. "Why can’t they travel on a civilian ship?"

"A warship is faster," the man replied. "Now let them board the ship. I need to confirm they have entered it."

Lest smiled sourly, but stepped aside and made a sign with his hand. The group approached and went up the ramp. The black-haired man, obviously the leader of the group, looked sharply at Lest as the group passed by. Lest narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"I see the crates are boarded as well. We’re set, I guess," he said to Perez’ henchman.

The man smiled a sleazy smile. "I’ll stay here until your ship is cleared for take-off," he said.

"Do what you want," Lest grunted, turned around and went up the ramp. He hit a button and closed the hatch.

The passengers were standing in the cargo bay. The Horus crew stood around them. Forrit and Galven were watching from the background. The engineers were carrying plasma guns.

Lest forced a smile. "I guess from your looks that you’re Titan nationals. Welcome on board of my ship. We’ll take off within the hour. You’ll be assigned rooms in the quarters. For your comfort, each of you will be assigned a room of your own," he said.

"As you command, captain," the Titan leader replied. "Your ship is a Daglon warship. Rare to get on the official markets. Where did you seize it?" he asked.

"I seized the opportunity as it arose," Lest replied. "I see you don’t have much luggage, apart from those portable devices that you’re carrying. I suggest we store them in a safe place on the ship."

The Titan shot Lest a dark look, but then nodded at his companions. Lest motioned to Jeff and Corr. The Titans handed the devices over reluctantly.

"I trust you don’t attempt to break the locks of the devices," the Titan leader said. "My name is Ion, by the way." He gave Lest a questioning look.

"Captain Lest," Lest replied. He turned his head. "The woman is carrying a plastic bag. What is inside?" he asked.

"Just a few clothes she bought in the malls," Ion replied. "Show him," he said, turning to the woman.

The veiled woman held out the plastic bag. Ion grabbed it from her hands. Lest motioned to Le’Ton. Le’Ton took the plastic bag, opened it and rifled through the contents. The woman complained, but Ion silenced her with a wave of his hand. Le’Ton handed the bag back, the woman seized it and pressed it against her chest.

"Just clothes of the female kind," Le’Ton said, turning to the captain with reddened cheeks.

"Alright," Lest said, clearing his throat, "Corr and Le’Ton, take the men to the three empty rooms on the lower deck. Jeff, clear out your room for the lady."

Jeff looked unhappy, but then gave a nod. "Please, follow me," he said to the woman.

She turned her head to Ion.

"Go," the Titan leader said curtly.

Jeff and the woman left the hangar. Lest motioned to Corr and Le’Ton. The men led the three Titans from the cargo bay.

"Galven, Forrit, look over the crates and see if they are secured," Lest said.

He left the cargo bay. Doctor Midad and Hulton followed him. The men went on the bridge.

Lest sat down in his seat. "Hulton, switch on the monitoring systems of the rooms. I want to have a look at the Titans during our trip. And lock the doors to their rooms. We know what happened to the Cleus crew," he said.

"There’s a problem with one of the rooms," Hulton said after a while.

"What kind of a problem?" Lest asked.

"I can’t switch on the system that is monitoring Jeff’s room," Hulton said.

"Why?" Lest asked.

"The room is locked by a code that you entered yourself according to the log files, captain. I’m wondering what is going on in this room that nobody must see by chance," Hulton said in a loud voice. He turned to Lest, raising an eyebrow.

"I don’t know what you’re talking about," Lest said grumpily, rising from his seat.

He went to the console and keyed the code in, then joined Doctor Midad by a side console. Midad was scanning the news.

"Anything new? Something we ought to know?" Lest asked.

Midad looked up. "Perez said the Titans left Cleus in a commercial Cleus ship. I was wondering what the Titans were doing on Cleus," the doctor replied. "Cleus is famous for its medical centers. Cleus will officially be an Alliance member in a month. They have only recently signed the contract, after centuries of tedious negotiations. I was scanning the news for any connections between Cleus and the Empire of Titania, in particular with the daughter of Tian Mu."

"What did you come up with?" Lest asked.

"Nothing so far. It’s more one of Hulton’s job anyway, I think," Midad replied. He rose to his feet. "I’ll go to sickbay."

Lest gave a nod and returned to his chair. Le’Ton, Corr, and Jeff entered the bridge and settled in their seats..

"Are the doors of the rooms locked, Hulton?" Lest asked.

"Doors are locked," Hulton confirmed.

"Alright," Lest said. "Corr, contact space traffic control center. The Horus is ready for take-off."

***

 

 

2015 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

We're off to the edge of the Galaxy with unidentified cargo and four strange

murderous passengers. This whole trip sounds shady as hell. I am certainly

curious about this venture. The back story is going to be good, I'm sure.

Link to comment

The crew and passengers both seem uncomfortable and I don't blame them...

I hope stealth and the ability to shoot helps. Things could get exciting!

More please!

Link to comment
On 05/03/2015 12:49 AM, Stephen said:
We're off to the edge of the Galaxy with unidentified cargo and four strange

murderous passengers. This whole trip sounds shady as hell. I am certainly

curious about this venture. The back story is going to be good, I'm sure.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Stephen. Yes, it's a very shady mission. We'll see how the crew will handle the situation.
Link to comment
On 05/03/2015 04:13 AM, Daddydavek said:
The crew and passengers both seem uncomfortable and I don't blame them...

I hope stealth and the ability to shoot helps. Things could get exciting!

More please!

Thanks for reading and the feedback, Daddydavek. Our crew is in a real mess. Luckily, the Horus is a good warship.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..