Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Prophecy - 10. Chapter 10

Simon moved through the streets. He tried to walk like a woman and he forced himself to walk slowly and make shorter steps. Nobody spoke to him, nobody paid attention, but Simon was feeling insecure. He was certain that all eyes rested on him and that everybody saw through his disguise and his plan.

He stopped at some distance of the town’s northern exit and watched the people enter the town or leave it. The watchmen didn’t pay much attention and looked disinterestedly at the people. The watchmen, however, were not the men who Simon feared most. He was afraid of the four monks. Where had they hidden? Simon was certain they had not yet left Paris. They were lurking somewhere, watching out for him in order to get him. Could he really pass the exit without being detected? Simon remained standing for another while until a man called out to him and made an obscene gesture with his hand. Simon ignored him and finally walked on. He couldn’t wait any longer, else he would attract attention.

He saw a group of women who were carrying empty baskets, peasant women who had sold their eggs on the market. The women were walking towards the northern exit. Simon saw his chance and followed them swiftly. He caught up and walked close behind them. Two of them glanced back, but Simon lowered his eyes and they lost interest in him. They approached the watchmen. Simon looked aside when they passed by the guards, but the men had no interest in the peasant women. They had passed the exit in less than a minute. Simon could barely believe he had made it.

He dropped back a little, but moved on at a steady pace as if he were familiar with the road. He didn’t see the four Black Monks who crossed the exit by foot, leading their horses on the reins. A ragged looking man accompanied them. The monks’ henchman hurried to catch up with Simon, while the four monks dropped back and followed them slowly. The peasant women and many more people, one after the other, left the road. The road was almost empty after an hour and only few people continued walking farther north. Simon glanced back and saw only a haggard peasant with an empty sack on his shoulder. Simon relaxed, albeit only a little. He had not yet made it, but if he walked on at a steady pace, he would reach St. Denis in the afternoon. His safe escape was only a matter of hours.

Another hour passed. The road was meanwhile empty. Simon glanced back once more. The haggard peasant with the sack had finally left the road also. Simon let out a joy of relief. No one was after him, no one was coming his way. It seemed that God had heard his prayers and had granted him a lucky escape. Simon felt tempted to rest, but he moved on instead. Better not waste time. He wanted to reach the abbey and speak to the abbot. He was certain that the pious man would forgive him his sins and punish the four men who were after the parchment. Simon was not aware that he indulged in wishful thinking and that he whitewashed the facts and deceived himself. However, reality caught up with him.

Simon suddenly heard footsteps. Someone was approaching him. He looked back and saw the haggard peasant running towards him with the sack in his hands. His face was grim and his look determined. Simon looked at him in confusion. Had the man not left the road a short while ago? Where did he come from now and why did he run towards him? The truth hit Simon like a bolt from the blue. The four monks had sent the man after him. The man had followed him all the way from Paris. They had sent a henchman to do the dirty work outside of town where nobody witnessed it and nobody paid attention. The monks had spotted him. They had recognized him despite his disguise. His plan had not worked out. It had been far too simple.

Adrenaline swept through Simon’s body. He turned around and started to run, panic-stricken and his heart beating wildly. His persecutor, however, was faster. The haggard man reached Simon, seized him and knocked him down. Simon struggled and fought, but the man was strong and, more so, he was determined to earn the money that the monks had offered to him. The brief fight was over quickly. The man stuffed a piece of cloth in Simon’s mouth, pulled the sack over his head, and then fastened a rope around his wrists and his ankles. Simon tossed and turned, but his efforts were useless. And then he heard the galloping of horses. The Black Monks were coming. Simon let out a muffled cry.

The horses stopped. Simon lay still. Two hands seized him and dragged him up. Simon didn’t react. He was paralysed with shock. Two men lifted him up and placed him on the back of a horse. Everything happened in just an instant and none of the monks spoke a word. A man climbed the horse and sat behind him. The horse moved and then trotted off. The other horses followed. Some time passed and then Simon heard voices of men, women, and children. He realized that they were riding back to Paris. Suddenly, however, the horse turned left and the voices faded. The monks had left the main road to Paris.

Finally, the horse stopped. Simon heard a knock at a door. A voice from inside asked a question in Latin. One of the Black Monks answered. Simon shuddered when he recognized Brother Nicholas’ voice. He heard a noise. A heavy wooden gate was opened. The horse moved again and they passed the gate. A man pulled Simon from the horse, another grabbed his ankles, and then they carried him away. A muffled sound escaped Simon’s mouth and one of the men knocked him on the head in response. They carried him farther and descended stairs, and then they stopped and dropped him to the floor. A door was opened. A man seized him again and dragged him along, but finally he let him go. Simon was lying on the stone floor. He listened and heard the shuffling of feet.

Suddenly, he was dragged up again. One man held him tightly, while the other ripped the woman’s cloak off his body and then thoroughly searched his clothes. The man cut the leather bag with the copper coins from the rope around Simon’s waist and pulled the old parchment from the sleeve of his robe. And then the men dropped him to the floor and left the room. The door was closed and locked. Simon lay still for a minute, paralysed with shock, but then his emotions overwhelmed him. He let out a muffled cry and salty tears filled his eyes.

Simon realized the naked truth. They had left him here in order to die.

***
2013 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..