Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Prophecy - 14. Chapter 14

Brother Philip confided to the abbot of Saint-Martin-des-Champs. The abbot spoke to him in the chapel. He said that only the Lord could judge on Brother Philip’s failure. He asked the man to give up his misguided belief and trust in Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour of the world and redeemer of mankind. He said that Brother Philip had broken God’s Commandments, but if he did penance, prayed to the Lord and honestly asked his forgiveness, then the Lord would show mercy and have pity on his soul, then Jesus Christ Our Saviour would ultimately release him from his capital sin. Brother Philip repented and the abbot saw the good in the man and his willingness to wash himself from the sin and so he offered Brother Philip to stay in the cloister.

The abbot of Saint-Martin-des-Champs stood silently, looking at the cross, after Brother Philip had left the chapel. Then he knelt down in front of the altar and started to pray. He asked God’s help and guidance, and then he thanked God and rose to his feet. He returned to his chamber and sent for a man, Brother Elias, a pious and trustworthy man. Brother Elias left Saint-Martin-des-Champs a short time later by foot. He arrived at St. Denis at nightfall and asked to be taken to the abbot immediately and without delay because he had a verbal message for him. Brother Elias handed a manuscript to the guard. The monk looked at the seal of the abbot of Saint-Martin-des-Champs, broke the seal and read the letter that confirmed the urgency of the matter. The abbot of St. Denis received the messenger in his chamber and Brother Elias passed on his message. The abbot sighed sadly.

"The three men have fled the cloister, a short time after Brother Philip stole the stallion and rode off to Saint-Martin-des-Champs," he said.

The abbot pondered deeply for a while and then spoke to Brother Elias. Brother Elias left St. Denis at dawn the following day and hurried back to Saint-Martin-des-Champs in order to deliver the message to his abbot.

The abbot of St. Denis sat quietly for some time after Brother Elias had left his chamber. Then he rose to his feet and left the room. He sought out the monk who rang the bell of the cloister and ordered him to ring it at once. The monks gathered in the chapel. They were agitated and nervous. The abbot spoke to them and passed on the sad news. Brother Simon was dead and Brother Philip had sought sanctuary in Saint-Martin-des-Champs. Brother Philip had run from his companions Brother Nicholas, Brother Gregory, and Brother Thomas who had meanwhile also fled the cloister. The abbot said that the four men were responsible for Brother Simon’s tragic death. They had abjured their faith and righteous belief and had committed an awful sin. The abbot said they did not acknowledge the Lord and Jesus Christ Our Saviour. He recited 2 John 1:7: For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. The abbot said that Brother Nicholas and his companions were in league with the devil and he banned the four monks from St. Denis, in absentia as they had already fled the cloister.

The monks prayed long for Brother Simon and then they prayed for Brother Philip who had realized his mistake. They also prayed for the three other men. They prayed for them to see the error of their ways. The monks retreated to their cells and chambers. They locked themselves up and meditated in private. A dreadful silence hung over St. Denis. The abbot took his quill and wrote a letter to the French king who without doubt had to be informed on the matter.

Brother Philip stayed in the cloister of Saint-Martin-des-Champs. He was taken to a solitary cell, a small and dark room. The air was stifled and stale. The cell resembled the room that Brother Simon had died in. Brother Philip swallowed as he entered the cell, but he did not protest. This cell was part of his penance. Brother Philip never said a word again. He made a vow of silence and dedicated his life to meditation and prayer. When he died fifteen years later, they found a manuscript in his cell, a letter he had written to his father. The letter had never been sent, but Brother Philip had kept it all the years, perhaps as a reminder of his awful sin. The monks archived the letter.

***
2013 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Such a sad chapter. So if the letter was archived where would it be now. This story is getting more interesting by the chapter.

Link to comment
On 06/16/2013 05:47 PM, Daithi said:
Such a sad chapter. So if the letter was archived where would it be now. This story is getting more interesting by the chapter.
Thank you, Daithi. The tour guide suspected Lambert wanted to publish his finding, but we must assume Lambert rather wanted to hide the letter.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..