Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Prophecy - 15. Chapter 15

Jason changed lanes and left the motorway five minutes later. He drove up a drive.

"A motorway chapel?" Leonard asked in astonishment at the sight of the small building.

"Much appropriate, I think," Jason said drily.

He parked the car at the far end of the place and looked back, studying the place carefully.

"The driver of the Bugatti won’t see my car from the motorway," he said. "But we can watch out and see if he drives by. Come, Leonard."

They climbed out of the car, left the drive and entered a meadow. They positioned themselves behind bushes and peered through the leaves. The black Bugatti drove by a couple of minutes later.

"Their chase is not very effective," Leonard said. "I mean, driving up and down the motorway doesn’t make much sense, does it? Thus they will get us only by chance."

"They almost got us a couple of minutes ago," Jason replied. "We had a lucky escape."

They returned to their car and had just climbed in when Jason’s cell phone rang. Jason took it and looked at the number.

"Hello, Gary," he said.

"Goodness, I have entirely forgotten to keep in touch with him," Leonard replied.

Jason placed the cell phone back in the halter and pressed a button. They heard Gary speaking to someone.

"Jason?" Gary asked. "Hello. Can I speak to Leonard, please? Is he around?"

"He’s in my car with me. He’s listening also," Jason replied.

"Ah, well," Gary said. "I wanted to inform you on something that I have found out. I carried on with my research and I've something interesting. But let me explain it to you right from the start. Your internet research, Jason, somewhat impressed me. I called Alec, my grandson, on Saturday afternoon and the young man went shopping with me. I bought a notebook," Gary said proudly.

"That’s excellent, Gary," Jason replied. He cast a glance at Leonard and smiled.

"Well, yes," Gary continued. "Alec has a driver licence and a small car. He drove me to and back to the shop. He picked a notebook. We brought it to my place and Alec installed software on it. He’s very much into computers. He showed me the Google thing and how to do research with it. It somewhat intrigued me. I did some research after Alec left. In fact, I researched until two in the morning."

"Goodness," Leonard said.

"Well," Gary continued. "I was having serious difficulties, however, when I booted the notebook this morning. There was an odd window popping up on the screen. I was feeling somewhat alarmed and didn’t know what to do. So I called Alec again. The young man was unnerved. Quite understandable, I think. But he was so kind to come here again. He checked the notebook and said the...the what, Alec?" Gary asked. "Alec is currently installing more software. Ah yes, Alec says the system software asked for an update."

Gary coughed and then continued.

"Well, why I’m calling you, Jason and Leonard. Like I said, I was researching. The story about the four monks had intrigued me. I found something interesting on the internet, a website that mentioned a similar story. Three monks had fled Buckfast Abbey in the year 1020. Buckfast Abbey is in Buckfastleigh, a small market town and civil parish in Devon. The abbey was founded by Earl Aylward in the reign of King Cnut in 1018. It was a Benedictine abbey. I looked it up with the Google thing. Ah, yes, thank you, Alec. Alec says I googled it. The site claimed that the three monks worshipped the devil and therefore were banned from the Benedictine abbey. It said that they later founded a cloister themselves in a secret and hidden place not far from Buckfast Abbey. I think this is very interesting. A similar story, set in England, though, not in France. And three monks instead of four."

"One had died perhaps," Leonard said thoughtfully.

"What kind of website is it, Gary?" Jason asked "Can we rely on the information?"

"Well, I don’t know," Gary replied. "The site collects lore and rumours, creepy stories set in Buckfastleigh and the area."

"I’m certain there is a connection, Gary," Leonard said loudly.

"Just a minute, Leonard," Gary said.

They heard him talking with Alec, but didn’t understand the words.

"Alec has just said he checked the site. He brought his own notebook, just in case I had damaged my new notebook and he needed to go online. He says the owner of the site is a certain Robert Harper, residing in Buckfastleigh. Don’t ask me how he found out about it," Gary said in a surprised voice.

"He checked the domain," Jason said to Leonard.

"I see," Leonard replied in a puzzled voice.

"Okay, Gary," Jason said. "We’ll call you...."

"Wait," Leonard interrupted him.

Jason turned to Leonard. "The Bugatti, Leonard. We must drive on."

"Just a minute," Leonard said. "If it’s true and the three monks settled somewhere close to Buckfastleigh, shouldn’t we find a trace then? I mean, assuming, they founded some weird sect, a black church to worship the devil, a black order that it still active a thousand of years later, operating in France and perhaps in England also, shouldn’t we find a trace of them?"

Jason nodded thoughtfully. "You’re absolutely right," he said.

Gary cleared his throat. "Any more we need to discuss, gentlemen?" he asked. "The call is somewhat expensive."

"One more thing, Gary. Can I speak to Alec, please," Jason said urgently.

"Sure," Gary replied.

They heard a rustle, and then Alec spoke to them.

"Hey," the young man said slowly.

"Hey, Alec," Jason replied. "Leonard and I are currently in France, investigating a bit on ancient sects."

"Really?" Alec asked. He sounded disinterested.

"Yes, we’re trying to uncover a secret sect that was founded in medieval times, most likely around the year 1018," Jason replied.

"Uncover?" Alec asked. His voice was mildly interested now.

"Yes," Jason said. "I got involuntarily involved in some of their activities and I decided to uncover their practice. Leonard, a friend of your grandfather, was so kind to accompany me. We set out for France. We’re visiting some places."

"France?" Alec asked. "You’re driving around in a car?" He sounded baffled and almost taken aback.

"Well, yes," Jason replied.

"That’s totally ineffective," Alec said disdainfully. "Why don’t you use a computer? It’s far more effective."

"Um, well," Jason replied. "I’m computer literate, but I have to admit I would not know how to uncover the sect with it. We’re a bit in a predicament, Alec. We made a mistake. We spoke to the wrong man and thus we warned them. The sect is chasing us now."

"Goodness," they heard Gary say in the background.

"No wonder," Alec said with a long sigh. "Totally amateurish. Driving around in a car…"

They heard a rustle and then Gary spoke again.

"Sorry," he said. "Alec has just turned seventeen. He’s…"

Alec interrupted him. "I’m seventeen, but I would never work like an amateur," they heard him complaining to his grandfather.

"Alec," Jason said loudly.

There was a rustle again. Gary handed the phone to Alec.

"Yes?" Alec asked, sounding unnerved.

"I was thinking," Jason said. "Could you do perhaps some internet research, helping your grandfather a bit, and find out about weird, occult, black and so on sects, churches, and orders founded around the year 1020 in the south of England. But I don’t want you to get into difficulties. Just generate a list or so, do not contact the group, provided you find one. Keep it secret, leave no trace."

"Jason," Leonard said in an indignant voice. "Don’t draw the young man into it."

Jason shrugged apologetically. "We cannot do all by ourselves. Time is getting short, Leonard."

"Alec?" Jason asked.

"Yeah, I was thinking," Alec replied. "Shouldn’t be too difficult. How can I contact you? I personally would get rid of that cell phone of yours and not use your email address anymore. If they are already chasing you, then they might well check your emails and calls. Buy a new phone and give me the number. I will contact you when I have the list."

Leonard shook his head. "He sounds like an undercover agent. Watched too many weird shows on TV probably."

Jason smiled at him. Gary spoke again.

"Call me also and give me your number, Jason, please," he said. "Alec says we must work undercover."

"Goodness," Leonard said. "I didn’t know Gary was into spy thrillers."

"All right," Jason said. "I’ll contact you. Bye, Gary."

"Bye for now," Gary replied and ended the call.

Jason started the car and joined the motorway again, but took the next exit.

"I guess I must either get rid of my car or hide it," he said. "And I need a new cell phone."

"We ought to find a hotel anyway and we must buy additional clothes, if we plan to stay in France for some time longer," Leonard replied.

"True," Jason just said.

They drove down the country road for a while.

"I was thinking," Jason said finally. "How about we drive back to England? It deems me less dangerous than driving around aimlessly in France." He checked his navigation system. "We’re close to Combles. We could join motorway E15 there and drive to Calais. Approximately two hours. Shall we take the risk, Leonard?"

"What about the cell phone?" Leonard asked back.

"I’ll get rid of it soon. I'll buy a new one in England," Jason replied.

"We cannot make a call and cannot be reached for a certain amount of time then," Leonard said.

"Yes, this is a risk we must take," Jason replied.

They reached a small town. Night was falling. Jason parked his car in a parking lot. They climbed out of the car and Jason pointed at a small supermarket.

"Let’s get some food and drink, rest for half an hour, and then we do a moonlight flit," he said and gave a hysterical laugh.

Leonard eyed him worriedly. "Are you able to drive all the way to London?" he asked with concern.

"Sure," Jason said simply.

He examined his cell phone, deleted numbers and contact details and then pushed the phone into a pocket of his jacket. They entered the supermarket, bought sandwiches and several bottles of water and then walked back to the car. Jason spotted a small hotel. He stopped and studied the promotional sign, and then he pulled his cell phone from his pocket. He typed the hotel’s number and spoke in English to the woman who answered the call.

"Sorry, Madam, I got the wrong number." he said and ended the call. He pushed the cell phone back into the pocket of his jacket.

Leonard gave him a questioning look.

"Just in case they're tracking my cell phone. I want to make them believe we're looking for a hotel," Jason said.

Leonard gave a brief nod. They returned to their car, climbed in, ate and drank, and then drove on. A short while after they had left the town, Jason slowed down, opened the car window and flung his cell phone into a meadow. He accelerated and drove on. They joined motorway E15 at Combles. Jason seized the wheel tighter as he stepped on the gas. Adrenaline swept through his body. The countdown had started. It was a race against time.

***
2013 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm glad to see that Gary and Alec are back in the picture, so that it's not just Jason

and Leonard doing this all on their own. Alec seems like an asset to the team as well.

Returning to England is a good plan too, but what will they come back to?

Link to comment

Haven't figured out why they think going back to England will aid them in their quest, even if it might be a bit safer for the moment.....

Link to comment
On 06/18/2013 02:13 AM, Stephen said:
I'm glad to see that Gary and Alec are back in the picture, so that it's not just Jason

and Leonard doing this all on their own. Alec seems like an asset to the team as well.

Returning to England is a good plan too, but what will they come back to?

I guess you already have an idea. :) Thanks for reading. Glad you liked the chapter.
Link to comment
On 06/18/2013 03:44 AM, Daddydavek said:
Haven't figured out why they think going back to England will aid them in their quest, even if it might be a bit safer for the moment.....
Yes, was it really a wise decision to go back to England? We'll see. Thanks again for reading.
Link to comment

Amazing the path this has taken. I guess going back to England would. Even safer but maybe not better. If nothing else,semi it should throw team bugatti off the path specially if they went and tracked the call to the hotel. Very intriguing

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..