Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Prophecy - 20. Chapter 20

Jason, Leonard, and Gary resumed their research. They used the internet and primarily focused their search on the company and the three board directors.

They found out that Lefèvre Industries was a French multinational pharmaceutical, biologics, vaccines and consumer healthcare company headquartered in Paris. The company had a portfolio of products for major disease areas including asthma, cancer, virus control, infections, mental health, diabetes and digestive conditions.

Lefèvre Industries had been founded in 1969 by Alexandre Lefèvre, a pharmaceutical chemist, and his brother Michel Lefèvre, a product executive. The company had soon expanded. Alexandre Lefèvre’s eldest daughter Nicole had joined the team of board directors after her graduation in 2000. She was a pharmacologist as was her husband Robert Guilmant whom she had married in 1995. Nicole Guilmant died in a car accident in 2001. Her sister Geraldine Lefèvre, a pharmacologist also, took her place and joined the team of board directors. Michel Lefèvre died in 2005 and Robert Guilmant took his place.

The Board of Directors was responsible for the group's system of corporate governance and was accountable for the group's activities and strategy, the risk management and financial performance. The Board was responsible for the long-term success of the company and was assisted by a corporate executive team.

Lefèvre Industries employed 32,000 people worldwide. 4,100 worked in research and development. Its global headquarters were in Paris, France; Glasgow, United Kingdom; Chicago, United States, and Tokyo, Japan. Lefèvre Industries had a presence in 29 cities across 13 countries. Its largest market was in the United States, which generated approximately 42% of its revenues, although the company sold its products in around 39 countries.

The major research and development centre was located in Ahmedabad, India. Major manufacturing sites for prescription products were located in Meaux, France; Paisely, United Kingdom; Naperville, United States; Sochaczew, Poland; Ploesti, Romania, and Brussels, Belgium.

"A successful company and competent directors," Jason said. "I’m just wondering how Antoine Lambert fits in."

"He’s Geraldine Lefèvre’s life partner," Gary said.

"Yes, that’s what he said," Leonard replied. "He’s sixty-five and she’s forty-three, a big age gap. They met when he was forty-five and she was twenty-three. She was a student, studying pharmacology, whereas he was a university lecturer, a renowned church historian, a specialist in his field.”

"Why did the order recruit him?" Jason asked.

"Lambert’s book, the footnote he wrote," Gary said. "Perhaps they suspected he was close to uncover their secret."

"Yes, most likely," Jason said thoughtfully. "They sent Geraldine to seduce him. It was probably too dangerous to approach him openly. They approached him and he gave in."

"According to his biography, he was a sober scientist until he published his polemic and emotional article on Theosophy. He has apparently changed a lot in his later years,” Gary said.

"Geraldine Lefèvre’s influence," Leonard said. "Hers and that of her family. They have brainwashed him over the years."

Jason looked at the company's website for a minute. A thought formed in his mind. He turned to Gary. "You said Alec was very much into computers. I must call him," he said.

"He'll be here in short anyway," Gary replied. "He...."

A loud noise interrupted him. The three men looked at each other.

"It came from the kitchen," Gary said in startled voice.

Jason rose to his feet. He opened the door and looked out, then switched on the light in the corridor and slowly moved down the hallway. He jumped when the kitchen door opened and a hooded figure stood in front of him.

"Stop," Jason called out. "Who are you and what do you want?"

The man gazed at him likewise startled. Leonard and Gary stepped into the corridor.

"Alec!" Gary called out. "For heaven’s sake, how did you come in?"

Alec pulled down the hood of his sweater and brushed back his dishevelled hair. He looked at his grandfather.

"I came in through the kitchen window. It was open, luckily," he said.

"Why so, Alec?" Gary asked.

"There’s a black car in the street, right in front of your house, Grandpa. I parked my car at some distance, went back and hid behind a bush. I’ve watched the car for about fifteen minutes. Two men are sitting in it and are watching the house," Alec said.

"Come, Alec," Gary said, waving his hand.

Alec eyed Jason and Leonard suspiciously, but then followed his grandfather to the living room. Jason and Leonard followed also. Gary moved to the window and looked out. He turned to them with a frightened look.

"I saw this car already from the bathroom window an hour ago or so, but I didn’t give it a thought. It's indeed strange. The next house is at some distance from mine. Why do they park right in front of my house?" he asked.

"They’re observing the house," Alec said, joining his grandfather by the window. He turned to Jason and Leonard. "They were chasing you and they have apparently found you. Not too difficult, really. You parked your car on the drive. They know you’re here."

Jason sensed a cold shiver running up his spine.

"And why don’t they come up and ring the bell?" Gary asked in an indignant voice.

"God, Grandpa," Alec said, rolling his eyes. "They are waiting for them to come out. They’ll follow their car and get them when they climb out of it. That’s much easier than intruding into the house."

"I’m not sure, Alec," Gary said. "They might have a plausible reason for parking here and…."

"No, Gary," Jason interrupted him. "Alec is totally right. They have tracked us down.”

"We must get out of here," Leonard said in a hysterical voice.

"That’s why I have parked my car behind the house,” Alec said. “I drove back and took the dirt road to the back of your house."

"I don’t know," Gary said. "What if they enter the house and devastate it?

"Call the police," Leonard said. "Ask them to send a car here. They’ll chase the criminals off."

"They’d come back, no doubt," Jason said soberly.

"They’ll only find out we fled when night falls and the lights in the house are not switched on. The sooner we leave, the better, Grandpa. I know a good place to hide. Trust me," Alec said.

"There’s not much else we can do anyway," Gary replied in a resigned voice.

Jason waved his hand. "Okay," he said. "Let’s get out of here. Alec, where’s your car?"

Alec crossed the room and hurried down the corridor. The others followed him quickly. Alec opened the back door and looked out. He glanced back at the others, gave a nod and then tore the door open and hastened to his car. He jumped into it. The others climbed in and Alec started the car. He drove down the dirt road until they had reached the main road and then he accelerated and sped down the road.

"For heaven’s sake, where do you take us to, Alec?" Gary asked.

"London," Alec replied. "A friend of mine’s currently away. I can use his lab. That’s pretty fine. I have a key to his apartment."

***

Antoine Lambert was sitting at his office desk. He was gazing at the computer screen. According to the board’s instructions, he had altered a few targets and operation places. The board had confirmed his suggestions and the computer experts had updated the software. Alexandre Lefèvre, the head of the board, had started the computer programme. He alone knew the code that could stop it.

The door opened. Antoine Lambert looked up. Geraldine Lefèvre entered the room.

"Operation Abbadon is under way," she said with a content smile.

Lambert did not respond. Geraldine gave him a questioning look.

"What's wrong, Antoine?" she asked.

Lambert straightened, but then slumped back in his chair. He looked at the computer screen that was showing a map of the world with many red spots on it. Geraldine surrounded his desk and stood beside him.

"The lab is still sealed. It will open automatically in a couple of hours for the couriers to receive their packages," she said. She gave a laugh. "Well, not exactly packages. That’s the wrong word, I guess. The transport vessels are tiny and won’t be detected by any control system. Robert has meanwhile arrived in Ahmedabad. He’ll personally hand the vessels to the couriers."

"What if one of the couriers gives the game away?" Lambert asked, turning his eyes to Geraldine.

"This will never happen. These men would rather sell their souls," Geraldine said. She looked at Lambert, her eyes narrowed. "All men will have arrived at their destination on Thursday morning our time. The computer programme will coordinate their actions. Nobody needs to think about time zones and time differences. The couriers will receive an automatic command. The board will watch and supervise the concerted action from Paris."

"What if the vaccine doesn’t work?" Lambert asked.

Geraldine shot him a dark look. "Is this what you are afraid of, Antoine? Are you afraid of dying unexpectedly?" She gave him a condescending look. "The vaccine is safe and it will work out. We will outlive the end of the world."

She looked at the computer screen, then leaned forward and pressed a key. The red spots disappeared and several green spots showed on the screen.

"The basic units," she said. "The places we have prepared over the years. We will rebuild and reshape the world according to our ideas and ideals. We’ll take over the worldwide communication networks, the electricity supply grids, and so on. Our computer programmes are ready to seize control. It will be done at the end of the week."

She turned her eyes to Lambert. He looked up at her. Geraldine smiled.

"The virus is lethal. It’s highly virulent and it spreads vast. A virus-infected person dies within one hour, unless the person had a vaccination. They have no time to develop a vaccine. There’s no escape. We tested it. Our operation is dead certain," Geraldine said and gave an exalted laugh.

Lambert looked at the green spots on the screen. Geraldine placed her hand on his shoulder and bowed down. She kissed his cheek lightly.

"Nothing to worry about, my dear," she whispered in his ear.

Lambert tensed. He did not reply. Geraldine straightened, looked at him, and then turned away and left the room. Lambert watched her and for an instant looked at the door that had closed behind her, but then he turned his eyes back to the computer screen. He reached out his hand and pressed a key. The red spots re-appeared on the screen.

***
2013 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hmmm is the brain washing wearing off?. Things are coming to a head are they not? Next chapter please :read:

Link to comment

Lambert is having second thoughts? I hope so, since there's not much time left.

Maybe Alec can shut his computer down.

Link to comment
On 06/28/2013 06:05 AM, Daithi said:
Hmmm is the brain washing wearing off?. Things are coming to a head are they not? Next chapter please :read:
The next chapter will be up soon. We have six more chapters. Thanks for reading.
Link to comment
On 06/28/2013 07:51 AM, Stephen said:
Lambert is having second thoughts? I hope so, since there's not much time left.

Maybe Alec can shut his computer down.

Alec will try something. But will it work out? Six more chapters to the end. Thanks for reading.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..