Jump to content
    Drew Payne
  • Author
  • 982 Words
  • 1,310 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Case Studies in Modern Life - 13. A Night Out With the Boyz

Life isn't cheap.
 
spacer.png

“The most I can give you for it is two quid,” Harry told the hipster guy in front of him.

“But this is a classic, the Director’s Cut of Blade Runner, the first one, not the fourteen that came after it. It’s worth ten times that,” the hipster guy replied, glaring at Harry.

“It’s the shop’s policy. We only pay more for new DVDs. This is old, and I can only give you two quid for it,” Harry said.

“It’s worth ten times that on eBay,” the hipster protested.

“So, sell it on eBay,” Harry said. “This is The Pawn Company, and I can only give you two quid.”

“eBay isn’t interested in it,” the guy told him, now looking embarrassed.

“Do you want to sell your DVD?” Harry asked him.

“Yes,” the guy replied.

“Okay,” Harry said.

He took the DVD off the guy, quickly rung up the purchase on the till he stood at and handed over the cash. The man took his money without a word and turned away.

They’d been getting more people like that in the shop, people who didn’t look at home in a pawn shop, people who felt their belongings were worth more than the shop was willing to pay and would argue with him. That hipster guy had looked so straight, not someone forced to start selling off his DVD collection. But the bad economy was doing that to everyone; it was a buyer’s market, Joanna, the manager there, kept saying.

Harry glanced around himself. From his position he could see across the shop’s floor, it was part of his duties on the till to keep an eye open for shoplifters, though there wasn’t much chance of that today. There were barely a handful of people in there, most of them endlessly browsing, none behaving like shoplifters. The hipster guy was stood nervously in the shop’s doorway. He probably had something else to sell and was working up his courage. That happened a lot, too.

Harry hated this job, but so far it was all he could find. The Pawn Company advertised themselves as “modern” pawnbrokers, but in reality they just bought goods cheaply from people needing money and sold them on for a profit. Often Harry felt like he was robbing those people, buying their possessions from them so cheaply, but it was his job and he needed the wage.

He’d moved to London so he could be gay, something he couldn’t do in the very conservative Kent market town he’d grown up in, but he’d been shocked by how expensive everything was, even the essentials to live. This was the only job he could find. He’d thought, with all his IT skills, it would be easy to find a job, but he found himself competing against people with degrees just for the most basic IT jobs. He’d been on the verge of giving up and moving back home to go back into the closet again, when he’d got this job. He’d told himself it would be temporary, but that was ten months ago and he’d found nothing to take its place.

At least he lived in a flat-share with three other gay men and was finally exploring his sexuality, as much as he could afford. At the end of each month he had no money left. He couldn’t save for anything: no holiday, no new clothes, no luxuries. He was getting by, but that was all. Could he even afford to have a boyfriend, all the expense of doing the things together that were expected as a couple?

His phone buzzed again. Joanna was nowhere to be seen so he could read his texts at the till. He took his phone out and found it was from his flatmate Calum. Calum was a good mate, but he was also a dedicated Party Boy. He lived for his weekends out clubbing.

The text read:

“R U Up for clubbing 2moro? Me n the gang are up for a W/E of it. We’ll find you a BF.”

It was so tempting. Tomorrow was Friday, the first day of his only weekend off work this month, and he hadn’t been out for weeks. Calum also knew how much he wanted a boyfriend, but even just a weekend of clubbing would be a relief.

Could he accept Calum’s invitation? He didn’t have any money. He only had seventy pounds to last him until payday, two weeks away. One night with Calum would eat up all that money; it would never last a whole weekend. But he wanted to go clubbing, he was gay not a bloody nun. He was twenty-three and already his life had stopped.

Then he saw the pile of leaflets Joanna had dumped next to the cash till. They were for a Pay-Day loan company. He picked one up and saw the writing splashed across it, claiming that it approved 99 percent of people wanting a loan. He had a job, they’d approve him, Harry reasoned, and even just a hundred and fifty pounds would give him a great weekend with Calum and the boys.

Could he afford to repay it? He’d heard that these Pay-Day loans had huge interest rates, but if he was careful and didn’t go out at all the next month he could afford it, couldn’t he?

He stood there, his phone in one hand and that Pay-Day loan leaflet in the other. He was twenty-three, he lived in London, yet his life was as dull as it had been back home in Kent. He could afford it, just this once.

He pushed his phone and the leaflet into the back pockets of his jeans and looked up at the customer, slowly walking towards his cash till. It was the hipster guy again.

“How much would you give me for an IPod Shuffle?” the guy asked him.

This story was inspired by the nursery rhythm Half a Pound of Tuppenny Rice, which is about living hand-to-mouth in Victorian London. I up-dated it to modern day London and trying to survive on the minimum wage.

A big thank you to Brian Holiday (brian_holliday@charter.net) for his excellent editing and proofreading of this story

Copyright © 2018 Drew Payne; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

Don’t take that PayDay loan. Don’t do it. Never, ever. 

 

I agree but it can be so easy to do and so seductive. I would have done when I was Harry's age. Back then I finished so many months with no money and no chance to have a gay social life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Drew Payne said:

 

I agree but it can be so easy to do and so seductive. I would have done when I was Harry's age. Back then I finished so many months with no money and no chance to have a gay social life.

 

You’re right about it being convenient and seductive. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

 

You’re right about it being convenient and seductive. 

 

And that's what worries me about them, they get the most financially vulnerable in our society quickly into debt.

 

That's what I wanted to write about here, the ease you can get in real debt now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..