Jump to content
    Drew Payne
  • Author
  • 1,083 Words
  • 1,378 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Case Studies in Modern Life - 19. A Morning at the Beach, In the Warm Sun

The sun was hot that morning. Hal had taken off his sweater and just sat there on the sand in his baggy shorts and equally large tee-shirt. (These clothes had once been much tighter.) It had taken him twenty minutes to walk down there and he was now tired, so he just sat on the sand and slowly waited for the energy to return to his body.

It wasn’t an unpleasant wait; the sun was warm on his skin. It felt good just to be outside in the open air, not cooped up in his tiny room back at the cottage. As a child he had always loved coming down to this beach, with its white, white sand sloping gently down to the sea and acres of dunes behind it where he would play in a near-alien landscape. (Nothing like the suburban landscape he had grown up in.) Hal’s mother had always owned that cottage at the edge of the dunes; it had been their family holiday home throughout his childhood, even after his father had left, and he never questioned it. It was a paradise away from his dull suburban home.

After his first course of chemotherapy he had longed to return here, to escape the busy city and everyone asking after his health, but Hal’s health was too poor to survive down here on his own. Hal’s mother had noisily stepped in and told him he had to stay where he was, stuck in his tiny flat, full of fatigue and nausea. During those days of illness, he dreamt of returning here; it was his goal for when he was finally well again.

Hal’s second course of chemotherapy finished three months ago, and he had finally convinced his mother that he was well enough to stay here on his own. He was not but needed time away from his mother’s concern and everyone else’s questions. The journey down here, two days ago, had left him exhausted, and this morning was the first time he’d had the energy to venture outside of the cottage. Now Hal was sitting on the sand, tired again.

He turned around to get the sun shining onto his back when he saw them. Behind him was a wooden picket and wire fence, and hanging off two pickets were a pair of bright pink running shoes. They were high fashion, expensive shoes, the type that had a demarked space for the big toe, making them look more like a pair of mittens for the feet. Completely unlike the cheap plimsolls on his feet.

He wondered why someone had abandoned such expensive shoes, causing different stories to circulate in his mind, and then he saw movement in the corner of his eye. Hal turned his head and saw a man running up the beach, towards him.

The man was in his early twenties, half Hal’s age, tall and lean, long arms and legs pulling him forward. The man was wearing a wetsuit, the type with short arms and legs, exposing his tanned limbs.

Moving so fast, he reached Hal in no time at all and stopped in front of him. The man’s body was still moist from the sea, his wetsuit glistening with seawater, his hair plastered down to the contours of his skull.

“Morning,” the man said to Hal before he strode over to the fence and pulled down the running shoes. They were the man’s shoes, and as soon as Hal realised that he saw a small sports bag hidden in the grass at the base of the fence.

The man glanced around himself before he asked Hal:

“Do you mind if I get dressed here?”

“No,” Hal replied.

“Thanks, mate, some people get funny with me getting dressed out here on the beach.”

“No problem,” Hal said.

Quickly the man began to get changed, pulling dry clothes out of his sports bag.

Hal tried to politely look away, but the man’s quick movements kept catching at Hal’s peripheral vision, drawing his eyes back to him.

The man’s body was lean and muscular, but lean from exercise. The man’s skin glowed with health; it was tanned golden brown, except for the white patch which must have been covered by his trunks. His skin was smooth, not scarred and pockmarked, no thick and ugly catheter hanging from the man’s chest. His body radiated casual health, the type of health that most people almost take for granted. Hal certainly had taken his good health for granted, once.

In only a few moments he was dressed, his sports bag over his shoulder.

“See you, mate,” the man said, before he causally walked away down the beach, as if he didn’t have a care in the world, which he probably didn’t have, Hal guessed.

Hal remembered being like that young man, before the cancer wrecked his body. Hal stared at the receding body and felt a pang of envy. Even for just one more day, Hal craved to be that healthy again. He didn’t want to struggle to get dressed, robbed of all energy. He didn’t want to be ashamed of his withered and scarred body. He wanted his health back, but that was now impossible.

Last week Hal had visited his oncologist, in her polished clinical office. She had been all apologetic smiles, but her news had nearly destroyed him. The chemotherapy had failed, but the news was worse than that. His cancer had come back, and worse than before. It was killing him. His only hope was more and stronger chemotherapy, but that would buy him an extra six months of life at the most. To endure all that nausea, pain, weakness and fatigue for only a few more months of life? Hal couldn’t face that. Neither could he face a long and drawn-out death, his body failing him piece by piece.

Hal would never have his health back, never to be as healthy as that young man who was now disappearing into the horizon.

Before leaving the cottage, an hour ago now, Hal had taken all his medication. Three weeks’ worth of painkillers and anti-sickness pills. It had taken him nearly an hour and four glasses of water to swallow all those tablets, but he had managed it. His determination had forced him on, especially when one would catch in his throat.

Hal lay back onto the soft sand, still enjoying the warm sun on his skin. He should be falling asleep soon, he told himself.

A big thank you to Brian Holiday (brian_holliday@charter.net) for his excellent editing and proofreading of this story

Copyright © 2018 Drew Payne; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The tragedy of Hal’s shortened life strikes home in this tale. One wishes for hope, for healing, but these things ultimately elude Hal as he dies on the beach he loves. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

The tragedy of Hal’s shortened life strikes home in this tale. One wishes for hope, for healing, but these things ultimately elude Hal as he dies on the beach he loves. 

Thanks for your feedback, this is a tragedy.

But Hal is taking control of his life, which he has had little of during the prepares year or so. I also wanted to show the choice that so many people with a terminal illness are denied, the choice to say enough-is-enough or to carry on.

Link to comment

This is beautifully written, but so sad. Unfortunately this cancer scenario happens too much. I was thinking things might go differently with the younger man on the beach. I was a bit sad to see him walk away. The suicide was unexpected (to me), but it sounds nice to leave this world in a place you love. Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, JeffreyL said:

This is beautifully written, but so sad. Unfortunately this cancer scenario happens too much. I was thinking things might go differently with the younger man on the beach. I was a bit sad to see him walk away. The suicide was unexpected (to me), but it sounds nice to leave this world in a place you love. Thanks.

Thank you for such wonderful feedback.

I wanted the young man on the beach to be a contrast to Hal's damaged body and to given him a jolt of envy.

I put hints in the text to Hal's actions, I thoughht I'd put too many, but I still wanted the ending to be a shock. We talk so much about people "fighting" cancer, what happens when they lose that fight? We give they so few choices.

Yes, I did leave Hal in a comfortable he'd so loved as a child.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hal made the only choice he could, and he did it in a place with happy memories.  I have watched family around me suffer through the pain before the inevitable happens. I wonder often times if they ever wanted to end it themselves, but never could or dared say so. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

Hal made the only choice he could, and he did it in a place with happy memories.  I have watched family around me suffer through the pain before the inevitable happens. I wonder often times if they ever wanted to end it themselves, but never could or dared say so. 

@Defiance19 thanks for your feedback. Yes, Hal took back control but he also couldn't face what was ahead of him, and why should he?

At the end of her life, she had cancer, my mother decided enough was enough and stopped eating and drinking. It was the only choice that was left to her. I have nursed people, at the end of their lives, who have expressed a wish just to die, and there was nothing they could do. I really believe now, people should be given the choice.

Link to comment
13 hours ago, Rupert said:

I sometimes wish I could be so brave, but others may see it as cowardice.

@Rupert, I don't call it cowardice, I just call it a different choice. I don't know if I could either, but I feel people should have the choice.

Link to comment

thanks drew,

i missed this chapter originally but am glad you have provided this prospective. (at least in the usa) too much emphasis is placed on quantity/longevity of life over quality of life. I'm grateful you gave Hal the strength to make his decision and follow through on it. I'm profoundly sad these options are rarely discussed.

your stories, especially those which are influenced by your vocation, are much appreciated

thank you

  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, NoSkis said:

thanks drew,

i missed this chapter originally but am glad you have provided this prospective. (at least in the usa) too much emphasis is placed on quantity/longevity of life over quality of life. I'm grateful you gave Hal the strength to make his decision and follow through on it. I'm profoundly sad these options are rarely discussed.

your stories, especially those which are influenced by your vocation, are much appreciated

thank you

@NoSkis,

thanks for your amazing feedback, it does me so much good.

This story is so important to me, it is one I've re-written a lot and changed quick a lot. I originally wrote it for a short story competition. I had to write a story inspired by a photograph, which was of a pair of expensive, pink running shoes hanging on a picket fence at the head of a beach. This story got a two line rejection email (I am sure the subject matter wasn’t anything they wanted) and I nearly gave up on it but when I returned to it, a couple of years later, I found there was so much in it that I wanted to say.

I am so proud of how this story has touched people. It's what I want to do with my story writing.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..