Jump to content
    Gaytron87
  • Author
  • 1,154 Words
  • 1,377 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life in notes - 2. Chapter 2

Well i need an editor!!!! If you think you'd like to help me out then let me know...... Beta readers are also wanted :)

“Alright Kiddo get to playing.” Cathy stood at his piano as he walked upstairs to the loft. Luke was always nervous when he played for other people. Today instead of being nervous he only felt happy. He knew that even if his mother couldn't hear him playing, he could feel her near. His only regret was that he hadn't started playing again sooner.

Cathy had never let the piano get out of tune. She knew one day Luke would make his return and when he was ready she wanted the piano to be ready. Never losing hope, she had the piano tuned every three months. Like clock work Mr. Weir came and tuned the piano. In the same timing, like a well oiled machine, Luke locked himself in his room. Today Cathy's diligence was paying off. Luke was ready to play and he had a fully tuned piano to sit at.

“Now, you hold your horses. It's been a while. I have to think. Or maybe I can play something out of my old music book?” Luke asked thoughtfully. He had stashed the book into his closet so he couldn't be reminded of all the familiar songs he missed. He never forgot a single song. They played In his mind endlessly over the years.

“Play me something from memory right now and then get your music book.” Cathy said cheerfully. She was too excited to wait another second for Luke to play. It was almost an honor to be played for. Cathy never had a child of her own and Luke had always been the son she never had. She watched as Luke sat thinking. Her excitement made her feel anxious. It was almost like it was all a dream and she would wake up at any second.

Luke looked down at the keys calling back to memory the music he had spent many hours playing. He closed his eyes In pain from the hurricane of memories it brought to him. He would sit on the same exact bench next to his mom. Some days she would sit reading while he played and other days she would just sit next to him to be with her baby boy. Now he sat alone.

Cathy could see how hard it was for Luke to play. Her heart sank and she wanted to take away his pain. She knew she could never replace her sister and she didn't want to but she did want it to be easier. She looked at his frozen posture. Silence deafened her mind. She didn't know what to do it was all so difficult. Staring at the back Of Luke's head, she could see the inner war he was battling. So, She sat beside Luke in her sisters spot. To her surprise it wasn't awkward at all. It felt comfortable. Maybe she couldn't replace her sister but she could still be there for Luke. That was enough for her.

“If you don't want to play anymore I understand.” Cathy spoke gently. She placed a firm hand on his back. She had never seen him be so vulnerable. Not since his mothers funeral.

Luke was startled by his aunts touch. He quickly snapped out of his daze and inhaled deeply. A long moment passed as he decided if he would play or not. It seemed his hands made the decision for him. He placed them over the keys and the first note rang out. Slowly he manipulated the melody into a slow moving sonata. Much slower then it was written. It was almost as if Luke was afraid of messing the piece up. Luke began to speed his tempo until his hands took over control and the song played itself.

Cathy recognized the song instantly. It was possibly Cathy's favorite piece that Luke ever learned. She remembered hearing it for the first time. Luke's father Dan played it for her and her sister When she was Luke's age. Cathy always loved hearing Dan play. She only had respect for him. When she heard that He was marrying his sister she couldn't remember being happier.

Dan was another soul taken before his time. Tears filled her eyes as she recalled hearing of his death. Luke had not been born yet. He was a military man and was sent to post in China. Dan left only a few weeks after learning he would be a father. He was young and full of life. When the news came it nearly destroyed Luke's mom. As she watched Luke playing she noticed how strikingly he resembled his father.

The music was almost to its final notes. Both Luke and Cathy waited expectantly for the ending bar. Luke pressed down on his last note and let it ring out. He couldn't have imagined a better return to playing. It was as close as he could get to having his mother back. She was tied into every song he had ever learned and every scale he practiced. She lived on in his music. Her life was in every note.

“Wow, that was beyond beautiful.” Cathy hugged Luke. It was better then Christmas morning. This was the best gift she had ever gotten. Luke was a very talented kid. It amazed her at how well he could play. It was remarkable how good he was even after not playing for two years. It's like he never skipped a beat.

“Thank you. I'm sorry I've been so difficult.” Luke sniffed. It was true. Luke hadn't been the easiest person to live with. He was always quiet and to himself. He was nothing like the boy he used to be. Over the two years Luke had thinned out and grown taller. He was a young man now.

“Don't think anything of it. I understand. I was a teenager once. I bet if we grew up together I'd have to apologize to you.” Cathy laughed. She chose to laugh instead of cry. It would have been happy tears but this wasn't a moment for tears. it was a moment for laughing and probably singing, if Cathy could sing.

Luke tried to imagine Cathy at his age. He had seen pictures and she was a knock out then. She remained beautiful til this day. He wondered why she never married. He was also grateful that she was single. If she had married and had kids maybe she wouldn't have taken him in. In any case they had each other. It was the two of them against the world.

“How about we go get some ice cream and talk. When we get back you can serenade me some more. I think this calls for an all nighter!!! No school tomorrow and I'll call off from work. We'll just have you and me time kiddo.” Cathy said realizing she didn't want the moment to fade. It's like Luke was back and the turd that claimed to be Luke was gone.

Well i need an editor!!!! If you think you'd like to help me out then let me know...... Beta readers are also wanted :)
Copyright © 2012 Gaytron87; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I like the little bits of the family history you wove into the story, that was good. I'm glad Luke had Cathy to come take care of him since it seems like they don't have much family otherwise. I would have liked a better visual of what Luke looked like when he played. Good luck on finding an editor and/or beta. I did see a few places with missing words/awkward phrasing that a team could help you with. The other thing to consider is what pov perspective you are using.

I know you're using third person, but are you intending omniscient or limited? If you intend to show all the character's thoughts in the story that's fine, but if you plan to just use one characters at a time, or for the whole story you'll need to consider and revise for the head hopping you are doing between Luke and Cathy. I've found it hard to do but I prefer to use one character at a time when writing to showcase their thoughts and emotions, it's less confusing for readers but ends up just being a style choice an author has to make for their story.

Link to comment

Ah, thank you for answering my questions. Cathy must be thrilled now that Luke is "back", and I hope he's back for good.

 

I'm really enjoying the story. I just have one complaint: The chapter was too short! lol

Link to comment
On 01/08/2012 09:43 AM, Lisa said:
Ah, thank you for answering my questions. Cathy must be thrilled now that Luke is "back", and I hope he's back for good.

 

I'm really enjoying the story. I just have one complaint: The chapter was too short! lol

Ha well i wrote it quickly just to kind of get my ideas together. ill probably do an edit of Chapter two and add some things. Maybe lengthen the overall chapter.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..