Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 8,012 Words
  • 3,653 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Skin Cover - 12. Chapter 12

He couldn’t help grinning. He was nervous, but he was sitting across from Tony in a small public park in Blackburn. There were other people around, so he couldn’t reach over to hold Tony’s hand, but they were far enough away that the two of them were effectively alone. The surrounding trees also promised the possibility of a couple of quiet moments of privacy before they left the park.

Tony sighed and looked down at the picnic tabletop. “There’s something I need to tell you.”

He frowned. “What is it?” Various horror scenarios swept through his mind, though none stayed long enough to give his fears a focus.

You remember Alex from the nightclub? He’s my flatmate.”

He nodded, still frowning. Was he about to be told that the two had settled into a relationship?

I made the mistake of bringing him to meet Jarrod the other week. At the time I wanted to see how Jarrod would deal with another gay guy, but I shouldn’t have asked Alex.”

Are you saying that he and Jarrod...?”

Tony looked up, his eyes wide. “No!” A smile crept onto Tony’s face. “I don’t think Jarrod would be interested, and Alex has a boyfriend.”

He grinned. His first fear had been eliminated. “Then, what is it?”

Tony grimaced and dropped his gaze again. “Ethan – that’s Alex’s boyfriend – saw a picture I took of Alex and Jarrod together. Alex had asked me to do that using his phone. Anyway, Ethan saw the picture and asked if the other players were as hot as Jarrod.”

He winced. “I try not to think of them like that. I can’t afford to have those sorts of thoughts. I just can’t!”

Tony sighed. “I understand. That’s not the problem.”

Then, what is?”

Tony looked up. “They found the Leopards’ website and checked out the pictures of the players.”

He swallowed...hard.

Alex remembered you from the nightclub. He and Ethan now know who you are.”

He tried to leap away, but his legs got caught in the supports for the picnic table. By the time he gained his feet, Tony was there and had grabbed him in a bear hug from the side.

It’s okay, Ken. It’s okay. They’ve promised they won’t say anything, and Alex even said you can treat our flat as a safe place you can go to anytime. Alex got a key cut for you this morning, so you can come and go as you wish.”

He froze, torn between the desire to run and the realisation that it would be a waste of time.

Ken? Are you okay?”

He twisted within Tony’s grip until they were face to face. He nodded slowly but made no effort to extract himself from the hug. The contact was both terrifying and comforting, and he didn’t know if he wanted it to end.

Ken? Say something!”

Alex doesn’t know me. Why did he get a key cut? I wouldn’t have in his shoes.”

He felt a sense of loss when Tony let go. The contact had given him a feeling of comfort and security that he hadn’t experienced since he was a little boy.

No, he doesn’t, but he told me this morning that if I trust you, then he trusts me.” Tony reached into his pocket and pulled out a solitary house key. “I trust you. I said I was your friend, and, when you’re ready, I’d like to be more than just your friend, but for now you may need a safe place where you can be yourself. Alex and I can give you that – a place where you can be yourself, where you don’t have to hide.” Tony held out his palm, the key resting in the middle.

He looked at it and then up into Tony’s eyes. He saw the compassion there and the hint of something more. Slowly, he reached out and put his palm on top of Tony’s. Instead of picking up the key, he wrapped his fingers around Tony’s hand. A smile played on his lips when Tony’s fingers reciprocated.

The two stood there for a couple of seconds, and then he rotated his hand until Tony’s palm was on top. The two held on for a moment longer before they let go, leaving the house key in his hand. He clenched his fist, feeling the small piece of stainless steel that seemed to promise a future he’d never believed he could dream of.

Thank you.”

Tony smiled. “Should we sit back down at the table?”

Smiling, he looked to his right. “We can’t stay for too much longer or my housemates might wonder what’s keeping me. That tree has lots of low branches to hide whoever is under it. I’d prefer to go there and thank you with a kiss.”

Tony grinned. “I’d like that.”

He grinned back. “I’d like that, too.”

* * *

Deon looked up from where he was watching the television when Jim entered the house carrying some shopping bags. “Did you have a good time?” Deon grinned. “You must’ve, given how late it is.”

Jim lifted the bags in his left hand so he could glance at his watch. “It’s only four-thirty. That’s not late.”

Deon chuckled. “It is if you’ve gone out for a picnic lunch. I thought you’d have been back around three.”

Jim shrugged as he headed to the kitchen. “Ty had a deadline for his lunch date to finish, but Denise and I didn’t. And, as you can see, I stopped off to do some grocery shopping on the way back.”

“Speaking of Ty, you still managed to beat him back. He texted me to say he’ll be late.”

Jim paused before entering the kitchen and gave Deon a quizzical look. He continued on his way and a few seconds later reappeared in the doorway without the shopping bags. “Did he say why?”

Deon grinned. “He was escorting Karen to work. Her shift at the hospital started at three, so he should be back soon.”

Jim laughed. “He’s really smitten. I can’t believe he went all the way into the city just so he can spend a little more time with her.” He turned and headed back into the kitchen.

Deon stood up and walked to the doorway. He watched as Jim started putting away the groceries he’d bought. “Ty wanted to know if you were going out to dinner with the rest of us.”

“I haven’t decided, but, yeah, I’ll probably go. Better than sitting around here by myself.” Jim glanced across at Deon. “You know, you are allowed to help.”

Deon chuckled and picked up one of the shopping bags. “Yes, Dad.”

Jim grinned. “Don’t be cheeky, stud.”

Deon frowned as he picked up a couple of boxes of breakfast cereal. “I don’t really like being called that.”

“It’s better than ‛baby’.” Jim smiled at Deon. “But I won’t use it if that’s what you want.”

“Thanks, Jim. What about you, though? Do you mind being called ‛Dad’?” Deon asked as he put the new boxes in the cupboard with the rest of the cereal.

Jim shrugged as he placed several jars of simmer sauces into the pantry. “It’s growing on me. I honestly don’t mind it with Ty because it means something to him. I was uncomfortable when the other guys started saying it, but I’m getting used to it.”

Deon pulled out a large packet of long-grain rice. Putting it on the table, he reached over Jim to get the jar in which they kept the rice.

“I think they use it as a sign of respect. They know you’re one of the most sensible guys on the team and tend to be able to see what’s important. That’s why a lot of guys listen to you when you say something.”

Jim laughed. “That’s bullshit. Anyone with a smidgen of common sense would say the same things.”

Deon grinned as he opened the packet of rice and started to pour it into the jar. “Common sense isn’t that common. Actually, I think it’s because you tend to not get as emotional as a lot of guys.”

Jim grinned back. “Try saying that to Ty when I’m telling him off. He knows I get emotional, especially when he screws up. Which, to be fair, he has rarely done recently.”

A couple of minutes later, the groceries were put away. Deon gnawed at his lower lip as they were finishing, trying to make a decision.

Jim put the last of the plastic bags in the bin. “Okay, Deon, I’ve got some cleaning to do, and then it’ll be time to get ready for dinner. What time is it supposed to be?”

“Seven. Er...Jim, can I have a word with you?” Deon couldn’t look Jim in the eye.

“Sure.... Do you want me to make us some coffee?” Jim asked.

Deon’s head jerked up and down once. He sat down at the kitchen table as he worked up the courage to speak. He knew he didn’t need to do this, but it was something he wanted to get off his chest. The opportunity to speak to Jim without Ryan or Ty being in the house didn’t occur very often.

The silence was only disturbed by the sounds of Jim preparing the coffees. Deon looked up once to see Jim watching him with a concerned expression on his face. Deon winced and stared back down at the table top.

“Here you are.” Jim placed a steaming mug in front of Deon. He then sat opposite the younger guy with his own cup.

“Jim, this has to stay between the two of us. I’m only telling you because I think you deserve to know and because I hope it’ll explain a few things.”

Jim’s reply was gentle. “Deon, you don’t have to tell me anything. You’ve got no explaining to do as far as I’m concerned.”

Deon grimaced. “I know, but I want to do this.” He looked up. “You know my mum raised me by herself.”

Jim nodded. “Your parents divorced when you were young. I remember you telling me.”

Deon took a deep breath. “It was when I was nine. What I didn’t tell you was my father left her for another guy.”

Jim didn’t react for about a second, and then his eyes widened and his jaw dropped. “You mean...?”

Deon grimaced. “Yes. My father’s gay, and I hate him for what he did to my mum. I initially hated Tony because he’s gay, too, and I still don’t trust him, but that’s why I reacted badly when I found out.”

Jim looked away for a moment, then back at Deon. He opened his mouth to say something but shook his head instead and focused his gaze on his cup of coffee.

“I’m working on things and separating my father from how I feel about other gays, but I still hate the bastard, and that’s colouring how I view homosexuals, including Tony. Ty’s helping me sort things out.”

Jim’s head snapped up. “Ty knows?”

Deon gave him a wry smile. “We’ve both got bastards for fathers. He told me about his old man, and I told him about my father. Both of us think you’re a better dad than either one.”

Jim winced, and he looked back down at his coffee. “I can’t be your dad, Deon. I’m not really Ty’s, either. I’m just...” He shrugged and then picked up his cup and took a sip.

“I know that, though I’m not sure if Ty does. I think he really wants to treat you as a father figure. He takes praise and disapproval from you a lot more seriously than from anyone else.”

Jim grimaced, still not meeting Deon’s eyes. “He needed a kick in the pants, but he’s taking things way too far. I’m getting concerned that he’s setting himself up for a massive disappointment when he learns I’m only human.”

Deon chuckled. “He knows you’re human. He knows you’ve got flaws – he’s complained to me about enough of them – but he respects you and your opinions.”

Jim took another sip and then met Deon’s eyes. “What about Tony? Ty said the other day that he trusts him. You didn’t say anything then, but you’re obviously telling me this because of Tony. There’d be no need to say anything otherwise. So what is it?”

Deon smiled. “I said you were sensible. I left off insightful. Yes, Tony is why I told you. Ty’s been helping me sort things out, but you’ve got a habit of cutting straight to the core issues. Ty’s convinced me that I need to deal with the Tony issue sooner rather than later. I thought you could help me with that.”

Jim looked back at his mug. “I’m not a counsellor. Karen’s training to be a psychologist. Maybe you should talk to her.”

Deon frowned. “You’re not going to help me?”

Jim looked up. “Of course I’ll help! But I don’t have a gay dad, and I don’t know how that makes you feel. I’m happy to talk to you about it, but don’t expect any pearls of wisdom, because this is way outside my experiences.”

Deon sighed as he dropped his gaze. “I know, but I’m hoping you’ll be able to help me get past some things. Ty’s really on about trust at the moment, and he knows I don’t trust Tony. That’s bothering him.”

“That’s not your problem. Ty can’t tell you who to trust.”

Deon grimaced. “He knows that. He’s even said that. I know he wants me to learn to trust Tony, but I don’t know how.” He looked up to meet Jim’s eyes. “Can you help me?”

Jim shrugged as he picked up his coffee. He took another mouthful, his gaze unfocused. “You don’t trust Tony because of your dad. They’re two different people in two different situations, Deon.”

Deon sighed. “I know that in my head, which is why I can tolerate being around Tony now, but that doesn’t stop the emotional reaction.”

Jim shrugged. “I’m sorry, Deon, but I don’t know how to help you with that. All I can suggest is time. I’ve got one question for you, though. Would it have made any difference to how you feel if your dad had run off with another woman, instead of a guy?”

Deon frowned. “I don’t know. I’d still hate him, but...” Deon shook his head. He had something to think about.

* * *

Oliver frowned as he parked his car. “I don’t like this. I’m glad we’re not staying long, but this place gives me the creeps.”

Helena surveyed the surrounding area, taking in the graffiti, the largely unkempt gardens, and the shabby nature of the paintwork on the houses. “It’s certainly not an upmarket neighbourhood. Are you sure we’re in the right place?”

Oliver nodded and pointed to the vehicle that he had parked behind. “That’s Todd’s car, so this is it.”

“This isn’t quite the way I expected our date to start, but it’s certainly an adventure.” Helena gave Oliver a smile and reached over to pat his thigh.

Oliver grimaced. “It’s not what I expected, either, but Todd only gave me two times for me to meet this new girl of his. It was either leave with him at eight o’clock in the morning or at five p.m., with the option to stay for dinner. He told me that he and Lorraine were going to be out for the day.”

Helena frowned. “You didn’t mention staying here for dinner.”

Oliver shrugged. “We’re not. I’d already organised a big dinner out with the other guys from the team when Todd gave me the options. The best I could do was to come here before we go back to Lilydale to eat.” He gave Helena a worried look. “I’m sorry, I didn’t expect this.”

She smiled. “It’s okay. As I said, it’s an adventure.” She paused and gave him a wicked grin. “It’s also not my vehicle.”

Oliver rolled his eyes. “I’m hoping it’ll be all right. I wouldn’t want to leave my car around here for very long.”

Helena smiled and opened the passenger-side door. “Time to go in and say hello. That’s what we’re here for, isn’t it?”

Oliver grunted and got out of the car. After locking the vehicle, he quickly moved around to where Helena was waiting. She gave him a smile of encouragement. The two linked arms and headed to the front door, which badly needed to be stripped back and repainted.

The door opened as they approached, and a grinning Todd stepped out, holding the flywire screen door open.

“G’day, Ollie! Hello, Helena. It’s nice to see you again. Come on in.”

The interior of the house was better than the outside, but the carpet showed numerous stains that were probably permanent, and there was a general atmosphere of ‛cheap’ in the workmanship. There was a slight citrus odour, as if someone had been spraying air freshener in the room recently.

As they entered the foyer, a smiling older woman in a light sleeveless dress that showed off the flowery tattoos on her left shoulder and upper arm appeared from the room on their right. “Hello, I’m Lorraine.”

Helena saw Oliver do a double take, followed by a quick glance at Todd. She, too, was surprised, as she had been expecting someone much younger, but the look on Todd’s face as he smiled at Lorraine told Helena that he held a strong affection for this woman.

“Hi, Lorraine, I’m Helena.” She stepped forward to give Lorraine an air peck.

“G’day,” Oliver said as he followed Helena’s lead with a quick kiss on Lorraine’s cheek. “Pardon my surprise, but Todd left out a lot of details when he told me about you.”

Lorraine’s shoulder’s slumped, and she started to avoid eye contact. “Like the fact that I’m old?”

Oliver winced.

“Ollie...” Todd’s face was stormy.

“Mature is a better word,” Helena said, trying to diffuse the tension that had sprung up. “You’re not old. You’re, what, around thirty?”

“Thirty-two,” Lorraine said, her voice still depressed.

“And Todd’s twenty-three, right? That’s only nine years’ difference. My parents were seven years apart in age.” Helena nudged Oliver.

“Yeah, it was just a bit of a shock...” Oliver quickly backpedalled when Helena gave him another nudge. “I mean surprise.” He took a deep breath and smiled. “Hi, Lorraine. I’m Ollie, and I’m flexible enough to put my foot in my mouth without even trying.”

“Both feet,” Todd said, glaring at Oliver.

Oliver shrugged. “Both feet. I’m really talented; ask my best friend here.”

Lorraine looked at Todd, her eyes narrowed. “You could’ve told him, Todd.”

Todd scowled at Oliver and then smiled at Lorraine. “He was being pushy. I would’ve told him if he’d waited, but he was too impatient.”

Helena glanced between Oliver and Todd, sensing that there was still some undercurrent between them, and then looked at Lorraine. She knew that Lorraine had been hurt by Oliver’s reaction. “Todd, forgive me, but what you did was cruel. You didn’t think of how Lorraine would feel, only Ollie. You need to apologise to both of them.”

Todd studied Lorraine for a moment and then lowered his head. “Sorry, Lorraine. I didn’t think.”

Oliver stepped forward and put a hand on his taller housemate’s shoulder. “I didn’t think, either. So, sorry, Todd. Sorry, Lorraine. Can we forget this even happened?”

Lorraine gave him a weak smile. “Todd told me that you won’t be staying for dinner, so I’ve got some snack food ready. Would you like to come in and get settled while I get the food from the fridge?”

“That sounds great, Lorraine, but you didn’t need to do that,” Ollie said, smiling.

Todd grimaced and then sighed. “I’ll introduce them to the kids while you get the food.” He stepped over and gave Lorraine a quick kiss on the lips.

As soon as Lorraine had disappeared, Oliver turned to Todd and frowned. “Kids?”

Todd pulled a face. “I told you about them: Becky and Sean.”

Oliver glared. “You told me their names. You didn’t tell me that they were kids.”

Helena jumped in, trying to defuse the tension that had returned. “How old are they, Todd?”

Todd took a moment before tearing his eyes from his best friend’s angry face and turning to her. “Becky’s ten and Sean’s six. They’re both good kids. Lorraine’s done a great job of raising them by herself.” He gave Helena a faint smile. “Come along; I’ll introduce you.”

“Todd...” Oliver said in a warning tone.

Todd sighed and dropped his head. “Yes, I know, Ollie. We’ll talk about this later. For now, please be nice. I really want this to work.”

* * *

Paul bit his lower lip while he got ready for his night out. With both Todd and Oliver out of the house for the evening, he was not going to need to invent an excuse to disappear.

His concern was when he returned home. The players had a midnight curfew on the night before a game. He could see no way he would be able to avoid breaking that curfew.

He sighed. With no real choice, he would have to hope he wouldn’t get caught. If he was, he would have to live with the consequences. In some ways, he thought that getting caught might be for the best, though it might mean the end of his football career. It would mean that the lies and deceptions would be over, and he would be able to be honest again.

Paul’s head slumped as a wave of depression swept through his mind, and his fists clenched as the frustration rose. He was caught in a trap, and while he could see a path out, it wasn’t an easy or pleasant one.

One day, he promised himself, this would all be behind him.

One day, he would be able to look his mates in the eye.

Until then, he had to work to resolve his problem – in the meantime keeping it hidden from his friends.

* * *

“She’s nice, and Todd clearly loves her,” Helena said as Oliver drove them back to Lilydale.

“Yeah, she turned out to be really interesting, with lots of stories, but...” Oliver shook his head.

Helena frowned. “Are you still hung up about her age?”

Oliver grimaced. “She’s thirty-two! Todd should be dating someone closer to his own age, not someone on the wrong side of thirty. And, she’s got kids!”

Helena was silent for a few seconds while she watched Oliver drive. She then nodded to herself. “Which is bothering you more, Ollie, her age or the fact that she’s got kids?”

“Both, I guess. It just seems so...wrong!”

Helena smiled. “She’s thirteen years older than you, and that’s a big gap, but she’s only nine years older than Todd. That’s not as much a gap, and as they get older the less that gap will mean. As I said earlier, my parents have a seven-year age gap between them, but you can’t tell.”

Oliver screwed up his face. “Maybe, but she’s not right for him. She’s been married, and, from what Becky said before she was told to shut up, Lorraine’s had lots of short-term boyfriends. She’s not right for Todd.”

Helena rested a hand on Oliver’s arm. “I think that’s his call, not yours. He’s not entering that relationship lightly. Unlike you.”

Oliver’s head snapped around before returning his attention to the road. “What do you mean?”

She smiled. “I’m under no illusions, Ollie. You’re after sex and a good time. Since that’s what I want, too, everything’s fine, but I know you could call it quits at any moment – with no regrets. If I called things off, you’d shrug and be looking for another girl the next day. We like each other, but it doesn’t go much deeper than that. That’s what I meant. We have a light relationship that’s fun while it lasts. Todd’s going for something much deeper, and it happens to be with Lorraine. Let him try.”

Oliver scowled, then sighed. “But kids! He’s not old enough to look after kids that old.”

Helena shook her head. “Todd was great with both Becky and Sean even though Becky was being a real shit to him. He just let it slide and even sided with Becky against her mum once. As for Sean, he thinks Todd is wonderful, and it looked to me like the feeling was mutual.”

Oliver flicked her a wry grin. “Yeah, Sean was cute. When I have kids, I hope I have someone like him.” He frowned. “I just can’t see Todd as an instant dad. Becky could be his younger sister; he’s not old enough to be her dad! He wouldn’t know what to do.”

Helena laughed. Oliver looked confused. “What’s so funny?”

She grinned. “You are. You’re nineteen, Ollie, so cast your mind back to when you were fourteen or fifteen. If you were dating a girl and her dad was someone as big and tough as Todd, would you treat her any way except with a lot of respect? He’d rip you apart if you hurt her. That’s what Todd’s going to do for Becky in a few years’ time if he and Lorraine are still together. If he does nothing else, simply being there is going to keep Becky safe from most boys. I’m sure he’ll be able to do more, but that’s one thing she doesn’t have at the moment that Todd can provide. Don’t underestimate the power of the scary father.”

Oliver frowned for a couple of seconds and then laughed. “Okay, you’re right there. If he wants to be intimidating, no one kid is going to mess with him, and that means they won’t mess with Becky, either.”

Helena smiled. “So, will you let them be? Todd wasn’t happy that you weren’t happy. Even I caught that. And Lorraine is...fragile. I think she’s been badly hurt in the past, and it doesn’t take much to knock her down. I noticed how carefully Todd treated her, especially after the problems when we first arrived. For her sake, I hope things work out, and that means you have to stay out of it. It’s their lives, not yours.”

Oliver sighed. “Yeah, yeah. I’m just having trouble thinking of Todd with a family. He’s making a big commitment, and he’s taking it seriously. If things go the way he wants them to, I don’t think it’ll be long before he moves in with her. Maybe that’s the part that’s got me riled up the most.”

Helena smiled and reached over to rest her hand on Oliver’s thigh. “People grow up, Ollie. It looks to me that Todd’s ready.”

“Yeah, I know, but give me time to get used to the idea. He only sprang this on me this afternoon.”

Helena gave Oliver’s thigh a pat. “Have we finished this conversation, because I’ve got a question for you.”

Oliver flicked her a worried glance. “What about? I hope it’s not something to do with kids.”

She laughed and stroked his inner thigh. “Sort of. It’s about this curfew of yours. Do you need to be asleep at midnight, or just in bed? And do you have to be alone?”

Oliver grinned. “We only have to be home by midnight. But if you want to stay the night, I think I’ll be a good boy and go to bed early. Maybe you can help me get to sleep.”

She chuckled. “I can certainly try...”

* * *

The players had moved together a number of tables at the Crown to form a single long table. With wives and girlfriends, there were more than twenty people in the group. The guys who were there without partners gathered together at one end, along with Oliver, Helena, Owen, and Zoe.

“What time’s the party next Saturday?” Zoe asked.

“The bus is leaving the club car park at seven-thirty,” Oliver said. “A few of us will be heading off early to set things up, but everyone else will be on the bus. You can make your own way home, if you want, or the bus will bring everyone back to the club between eleven and midnight.”

“But where’s it going to be?”

“That’s a secret.” Oliver grinned across the table, where Jim was sitting between Tony and Charlie. “How much did you pay her to ask, Dad?”

Jim shrugged. “Nothing. I still don’t get what all the secrecy is about. It’s a party. You’ve obviously hired a hall somewhere, and you’ve got caterers coming to feed everyone. Why won’t you say where it is?”

Oliver tried to look mysterious, though he knew he was probably failing miserably. “I have my reasons.”

Jim rolled his eyes and turned to Tony. “You know where it is. So how about spilling the beans?”

Tony chuckled. “No way. Ollie would kill me if I told. I’ll admit that I don’t know what all the secrecy is about, but he’s stronger than me, so I’m not saying anything.”

Jim gave him a mock frown. “I’m stronger than Ollie, so maybe you should tell.” Without warning, he swept his right arm around Tony’s neck and pulled him into a headlock.

Tony’s voice was slightly muffled from where his face was held against Jim. “Okay, okay, I’ll tell!”

Jim let go and smiled. “See, that wasn’t that bad. Now, where is the party being held.”

“Don’t you dare, Tony!” Oliver said. He glared at Jim. “That wasn’t fair.”

Tony straightened his shirt that had been ruffled by the tussling. “It’s okay, Ollie. I can handle this.” Smiling, he edged his chair away from Jim. “The party’s somewhere in Melbourne.”

Oliver and the others nearby laughed as Tony held up his hands to fend off another attempt by Jim to grab him.

Ty grinned from where he sat next to Helena and opposite Charlie. “Dad, leave him alone. Jarrod tells me that Tony’s sexually frustrated, and all you’re doing is getting him hot and bothered.”

Jim stopped what he was doing and frowned. He glanced at Tony and then back at Ty. “Maybe Tony needs a boyfriend, then. Any suggestions?”

“I’m fine, guys. I don’t need you to match-make for me,” Tony said as he returned his chair to its previous location. “Honestly, I’m fine.” He scowled down the length of the table, but ruined the scowl when he couldn’t keep a straight face. “And Jarrod needs to keep his big mouth shut.”

Jarrod held up his hands. “Don’t blame me. It was your flatmate, Alex, who was the source of the story. It’s all his fault.”

“You didn’t need to tell everyone.” Tony grinned. “And, for the record, I’ve started dating someone.”

“Congratulations!” Oliver said. “I hope he’s worth it.”

Tony glanced down at the tabletop for a moment, then looked up and smiled. “Definitely worth it. I really hope it works out.”

“Any chance of some details?” Helena asked. “Some of us like to keep on top of who’s with whom.”

Tony rocked his head to the side and then shrugged. “His name’s Ken. He’s tall, strong, handsome, and incredibly sexy. He’s fun to dance with and a great kisser. Other details will have to wait until we’ve been dating for a while. I haven’t been going out with him for very long.”

“How long?” Jarrod asked. “Alex didn’t know about it when I saw him.”

“I met Ken at a nightclub a couple of weeks ago, and we’ve only just started dating.”

“Speaking of only just starting dating, how’s things going between you and Karen, brat?” Jim asked.

Ty grinned. “Brilliantly. I took your advice and took her to the chocolate factory for lunch. We were in seventh heaven until it was time to go.”

Charlie gave him a quizzical look. “What chocolate factory?”

Ty grinned. “The Yarra Valley Chocolaterie and Ice Creamery. It’s up near Yarra Glen.” He chuckled at Charlie’s expression. “Yeah, I’d never heard of it, either, until Dad made his suggestion. As well as free chocolate samples, they have a small cafe there, and, naturally, lots and lots of chocolate.”

Oliver and Jim exchanged grins. Oliver could still remember his first trip to the chocolaterie soon after he started with the Leopards. In his case, it had been Roger who had suggested it to him.

“All of the players from last year know about it, Charlie,” Owen said. “If you haven’t been there, go as soon as you get a chance. It’s a chocoholic’s dream come true, and it’s a great place even if you’re not a chocoholic.” He grinned. “And then next year, you can tell the rookies that come along about it, too.”

“Yeah, but maybe you’ll be nicer than Dad and warn them about how filling some of the meals can be.” Ty narrowed his eyes at Jim. “I ordered one of the dessert pizzas and didn’t realise that it was meant to be shared between two or more people.”

Jim chuckled. “Somehow, I don’t think you would’ve had any trouble finishing it.”

“That’s where you’re wrong.” Ty shrugged when Jim raised an eyebrow. “Okay, yes, I finished it, but it was tough going. Absolutely delicious, but, oh my God was it a struggle to get the last pieces in.”

Jim turned to Charlie. “Seriously, though, I’d thoroughly recommend it. If you love chocolate, it’s a place you’ll have to go to. Even if you only like chocolate, it’s a special treat.”

Ty grinned. “Maybe you can do what I did and go there on a date.”

Charlie frowned and dropped his head so he wasn’t looking at anyone. “Maybe.”

“Charlie...” Ty waited until Charlie looked up. “Karen asked me for your phone number. She suggested that you join her and some of her friends for lunch sometime when you’re at uni. No pressure, but she told me that one of her girlfriends saw your picture on the club website and wants to meet you.”

Charlie gulped and dropped his head again.

* * *

It was just after one in the morning. Paul was trying to sneak into his room when one of the doors down the hallway opened, and an almost-naked Todd stepped out.

“G’day, Paul. You’re home late,” Todd said, keeping his voice low.

“Todd, I can explain...”

Todd grinned. “No need. I won’t tell anyone what time you made it home. As you can see, I’m still up, too.” He frowned at the other door in the hallway. “Ollie’s awake, as well. He and Helena appear to be taking a short break, but I’m sure they’ll start up again, soon. I was about to make myself a hot chocolate to see if that’ll help me sleep. Do you want to join me?”

Paul shook his head. “I’ll just go to bed. I don’t want to be tired for the game.”

Todd shrugged. “Ollie doesn’t seem to share your concerns. I’m giving them until two before I bang on the door and tell them to can it.”

Paul smiled. “Okay. Hopefully, I’ll be asleep by then.”

Todd smiled back. “Good night, Paul. I’ll see you at breakfast.”

* * *

"Look to the left, Jim. Ollie's free," Peter muttered. "Yes!"

Will ignored Peter. He was used to the head coach talking to himself through the games. It was when Peter's voice rose above a mutter that it was time to pay attention.

Will was scanning the ground, trying to think of options that would allow them to break the Hawks' defence. Both teams were playing a hard and aggressive game, with the result that it had been a low-scoring match to that point. It was almost halfway through the third quarter, and the Leopards had only scored eight goals. Roger had kicked three, Deon two, and there had been one goal apiece to Oliver, Owen, and Zach.

The problem was that the Hawks’ defence made it difficult to control the ball within fifty metres of the goalposts. The Leopards had an edge in the midfield, but couldn't reliably get the ball within scoring distance. Zach had managed one goal from outside the fifty-metre mark, but otherwise the team was struggling.

Oliver had scored an early goal when he had broken away from his man, but the Hawks' coach had been quick to adjust his defence, and Oliver had been tagged by someone with similar speed. The only option that was working to any degree was to kick the ball high and long and hope Deon or Roger could outmuscle the defenders enough to mark the ball. It was a tactic that was working spasmodically, but not reliably enough to satisfy either Will or Peter. Too often, the Hawk defenders were able to prevent Roger from obtaining a clean catch of the ball.

The only consolation was that the Hawks were having the same problem at the other end of the ground. Ward, Ty, Paul and Todd had formed a solid line of defence that the Hawks had difficulty penetrating. Unfortunately, they had succeeded enough times that they had been holding a slender lead for most of the game. The difference between the teams was in their accuracy. The Hawks had one less scoring shot than the Leopards but had kicked two more goals. With ten goals and two behinds, the Hawks held a nine-point lead over the Leopards' eight goals and five behinds.

"Damn!" Peter scowled as the Leopard score ticked over by one as Oliver scored another behind.

"We're not accurate enough from that distance," Will said. "Roger and Deon can do it, but if they move too far out, they're getting double-teamed. The others are more hit-and-miss."

"More miss than hit, at least today. Something for them to work on," Peter said, his eyes still scanning the ground.

"Julie, any suggestions?" Peter asked.

"Sorry, no. This is an almost pure-brute-strength game. We're holding our own, but we're just not getting the goals we need."

Peter shook his head. "You're a bit harsh on your midfielders, Julie. They're doing better than holding their own. We've got the ball in attack more often than the Hawks; we're just not able to finish the job."

Will grunted. The forwards were his responsibility.

"What about shaking things up by putting Ty on the forward line?" Peter asked.

Both assistant coaches chorused the response. "No!"

"He's needed in defence," Julie said. "He's shutting down his player, and that's keeping their scoring down."

"He's not ready," Will added. "His instincts are to knock the ball away, not mark it, and we need marks. The Hawks' smaller players are picking up most of the loose balls."

With the pressure from the Hawks’ defenders during normal play, it was the uncontested kick after a mark that gave the team the best chance of scoring a goal.

Peter shrugged. "Then maybe we need to increase the number of fast players on offence."

"We don't have enough for that. If we take them from the midfield, we lose our edge there," Julie said.

The three watched as the Leopard midfield once again stopped the Hawks offensive and turned the ball back into attack.

"Come on, guys. We need another goal!" Peter muttered.

Jim kicked the ball high and long, looking for Roger. The Leopards’ key forward set himself up for the mark, but a strong bump from a Hawks’ defender knocked him over before he could take the mark. The ball was gathered up by another Hawk, who was, in turn, tackled by Deon. The loose ball bounced away until it was gathered up by Oliver. His attempt at a quick kick toward the goalposts was ruined by the defenders, but the umpire’s whistle blew, awarding a free kick to Oliver, thirty metres out from the goals. It was a chance for another goal

Will stiffened as he noticed something behind the play. “Roger’s injured.”

The three coaches stared for a moment as Roger limped towards the interchange area.

“Jackie!” Peter called out.

Jacqueline, the team’s junior physiotherapist, was already moving. “It looks like he twisted an ankle when he fell, but I’ll get it checked out.” Not waiting for a response, she took advantage of being a nominated first-aider to head onto the oval and straight to Roger.

“Shit!” Peter glared before turning to Will. “Recommendations?”

Will scowled for a moment as he ran through the options. “Move Zach to forward, and put Jai in as ruck. It weakens us in the rucks, but Zach’s the only one we’ve got who has the height and strength to contest on the forward line.”

Peter nodded. He turned to the interchange bench and beckoned. “Jai!”

The tall reserve ruckman leapt up and rushed over. “Peter?”

“You’re going in for Roger.”

Jai Tenterstone nodded. “I’m on the forward line?”

“No. Tell Zach he’s got Roger’s position; you’re the ruck. Keep an eye out for our small guys on the hit-outs and help the midfielders to keep the pressure on. Get going!”

Jai grinned. “Gotcha!” He headed to the interchange area and waited for Roger, escorted by Jacqueline, to leave the ground. In the meantime, there was a cheer from the crowd as Oliver scored a goal from his free kick. The difference between the teams was down to two points.

A couple of minutes later, Jacqueline approached. “Roger’s ankle is tender. He’s out for the rest of this game. Depending on how he pulls up tomorrow morning, he might need to sit out next week, too. I’m going to contact Andrew and set up an appointment for Roger for tomorrow morning.”

Peter grunted. “Thanks, Jackie.” It wasn’t unexpected, but it still didn’t make it easy to hear that Jacqueline was organising an appointment with Dr. Andrew Bardley, the GP who donated time as the club doctor.

Roger was a key player, and his absence was going to make things that much more difficult for the team.

* * *

Eric Blackman grinned nervously at the Leopards’ major sponsor as they sat in the Box Hill City Oval grandstand. “A good, hard-fought game.”

Richard Lyons frowned, but nodded slowly. “They played the way they used to play. A pity about the loss.”

“It was only sixteen points. That’s not bad against last year’s premiers. We were holding on until Roger got injured.” Eric couldn’t help notice that Richard was still referring to the team as an external entity and wasn’t including himself as part of the club.

Richard craned his head to look down at where the players were leaving the ground. “Yes, but he’s a key player. Have you heard how badly he was hurt? If he’s out for an extended time, that’s really going to hurt your chances for the main season.”

Eric wiped the sweat from his forehead. “I’m sure it’s not serious. Probably just a twisted ankle. Nothing too bad.”

Richard turned and fixed him with a steely gaze. “You got a message at three-quarter time. Are you telling me that they didn’t inform you of the situation?”

Eric kept his wince internal. It had been a forlorn hope that Richard wouldn’t have noticed that. “They’re playing it safe and having Andrew look at him tomorrow morning. Jackie’s started treating it, but she didn’t want to make any medical decisions if she didn’t have to.”

“She’s inexperienced, so I suppose it’s good that she’s deferring any decisions.” Richard stood up. “I trust you’ll keep me informed as to Roger’s condition.”

Eric nodded. He heard the implied warning that Richard’s sponsorship dollars were at risk if he didn’t do as requested. “Of course, Richard. I’ll ring you as soon as I hear.”

“Good. Now it’s time I went home. I’ve still got a lot of work to do regarding my company’s restructuring.”

* * *

“Great job, everyone.” Peter smiled at the assembled players. “I know it would’ve been nice to win, but we’re still improving. The Hawks played like they did last year at the end of the season, which means that they’re at their peak. We’ll pass them soon, and by the end of the year we’ll be grinding them into the dust.”

“Too right! This was just a warm-up, guys. Next time we play them, we’ll kick their arse!” Roger grinned despite having his foot elevated and an ice pack strapped onto his ankle.

Zach grinned across the room at his captain. “You’d better be back by then, Roger, because I don’t want to have to keep doing your job for you.”

Roger rolled his eyes. “You were getting lazy. I thought it was about time you started pulling your weight.”

“You wish! I pull more weight than you all the time.”

Peter grinned, raising his voice over the chuckles emanating from the rest of the team at the banter between Roger and Zach. “Guys, you’re all pulling your weight, and I’m proud of you. We still had a bit of a drop-off in endurance at the end, but it was a vast improvement over two weeks ago. The extra training sessions on Tuesday and Thursday will continue for this week, and I want to see everyone who can attend to be at least at one of them. We’ll re-evaluate after next week’s game, but if you continue to put in the effort you’ve been doing, we’re going to kick some serious arse when the season starts in April.”

Peter brought his attention to his defenders. “Paul, Todd, Ward, Ty: a great job. The Hawks know that they’re going to struggle to get past you guys. Keep this up and we’ll win matches simply because the other team won’t be able to score.”

Peter smiled as the four were congratulated, then turned to the midfielders. “Dave, another absolutely brilliant job. Keep it up, mate, because you’re going to be a threat that every team is going to fear facing.

“Jim, Jarrod, Ryan: you three worked really well together. Continue doing that and you’ll keep the opposition on the back foot.

“As for the rest of you midfielders, with the way you guys controlled the ground, there’s only one thing for me to do.” Peter nodded his head towards the players and started to clap his hands. The rest of the team followed suit, cheering and congratulating all of the midfielders.

Peter waited for the noise to die down. “I’m almost finished. Forwards, it was tough out there, but you did your jobs. We need to continue to work on accuracy, but I’ve got no complaints on effort. Charlie, congratulations on your goal at the start of the fourth quarter. That stopped the Hawks momentum and gave us a chance to rally. You couldn’t have picked a better time for your first goal. Well done!”

Charlie ducked his head as his teammates slapped his back or cheered him.

Peter smiled. “Owen, Zach, Deon: great job. Ollie, you had it tough today, but you kept the pressure on the defenders the whole time. You didn’t get a lot of possessions, but you were a constant threat to the Hawks, and they knew it. Keep it up, because most teams don’t have the players capable of stopping you.”

Peter took a step back so he could scan the whole team. “Overall, I’m proud of how you guys played today. You keep this up, and when we meet the Hawks in the finals, they won’t know what hit them.”

Peter nodded to Will and Julie, and the two assistant coaches opened the doors to let the supporters into the change room. He kept a smile on his face, hiding the worry that was gnawing at the back of his mind.

Eric had told him that they needed to win to keep the sponsors happy. He didn’t know if their loss was going to mean a premature end for the Leopards.

Don't forget to vote in the forum thread for who you think is the gay player. You don't have much longer, as I'm going to ask that the voting stops after chapter 13.
Copyright © 2014 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator
On 04/20/2014 01:05 PM, Cole Matthews said:
Another chapter with my nails bitten to the quick. Compelling stuff. Thanks for your work!
Thank you!
Link to comment

Helena is a kind and sensible girl. She'll make sure Ollie gives Todd the benefit of the doubt.

I love those chapters with games in them, especially the discussion between the coaches and Peter's evaluation of the game with the players. Eric needs to stand up to the stupid sponsor.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
9 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Helena is a kind and sensible girl. She'll make sure Ollie gives Todd the benefit of the doubt.

I love those chapters with games in them, especially the discussion between the coaches and Peter's evaluation of the game with the players. Eric needs to stand up to the stupid sponsor.

I like Helena, but then I like most of my characters. I agree with you with respect to Eric, but it's difficult to stand up to someone who can control whether or not you have a job.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..