Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 8,604 Words
  • 4,115 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Skin Cover - 8. Chapter 8

He was worried. For two days in a row, he had experienced the feeling of wanting to tell someone he’s gay.

He told himself, again, that he couldn’t do that. He had to stay hidden. He couldn’t risk losing football through an impulse decision. Even Tony had agreed that if – or was it when? – he came out, he would have to do it carefully.

Maybe it had been a mistake to turn down Tony’s invitation to go back to the nightclub, but he was still confused as to what he wanted.

He wanted to play football.

He wanted someone to love.

He didn’t know how he could do both.

Shaking his head, he forced himself to rebuild the walls that had kept him safe – the walls that kept the outside world at bay, and his inner self contained. It was football that was his focus. Football was his world. Football was his purpose in life.

He told himself again that he was a football player. He told himself again that there was nothing else he wanted.

And in response, a soft voice, a small image, seeped up from the bottom of his mind. One word, one person.

Tony....

* * *

Oliver’s concentration on the pancakes he was cooking was interrupted when he heard a noise down the hallway. He looked up to see Todd entering the kitchen. As was normal on a weekend morning, the tall guy was dressed in only a pair of boxer briefs.

“Morning,” Todd said as he scratched his chest and headed to the fridge. He paused as he passed the young woman dressed in an oversized T-shirt who was sitting at the kitchen table nursing a cup of coffee. There was an empty plate in front of her and assorted pancake topping options in the middle of the table. “Hi, I’m Todd.”

She smiled up at him. “G’day. I’m Helena.”

Todd grinned. “It looks like you and Ollie had a good night last night.” He moved over and opened the fridge, bending over so he could start rummaging around. “How was the restaurant?”

“Great! We’re thinking of going back there next weekend, too.” Oliver’s eyes narrowed as he saw what looked like scratch marks. “Looks like we weren’t the only ones to have a good night.” He glanced over at Helena and smiled when he saw that her eyes were glued to where Todd’s rear-end was sticking out from behind the fridge door.

Todd looked over his shoulder. “Huh? What do you mean?”

“I’m saying it looks like you were with some feisty girl last night. She’s done a real number on your back.”

Todd’s grin was lazy and happy. “Those are training scars. I put in a couple of hours of enduro work last night.”

“So, what happened? I noticed that both your and Paul’s cars were gone when we got home last night.”

Todd pulled out a leftover bowl of fruit salad and put it on the bench while he opened the cutlery drawer. “Paul decided he needed to get over Rochelle and headed out a bit after you left. I told him it was about bloody time.”

Oliver noticed Helena’s puzzled expression. “Paul’s our other housemate. He broke up with his long-term girlfriend about a month ago. He hasn’t been interested in going out since – until last night, it seems.”

She smiled. “Thanks, Ollie. Does he also like to wander around the house almost naked?”

Ollie grinned. “No, that’s just Todd. He’s got no sense of modesty.”

“And Ollie’s got no sense of respect for other people’s possessions.” Todd grinned at Helena as he sat down opposite her. “Though, I’ll admit that my T-shirt looks better on you than it does on me.”

She glanced down. “This is yours? I’m sorry; Ollie gave it to me this morning to wear. I didn’t know.”

Todd waved a hand to dismiss her concern. “Don’t worry about it. It’s not the first time...that is, it’s not the first time he’s borrowed something of mine without asking.”

Oliver slid a pancake onto the plate in front of Helena. “Here you are.” He leant down and gave her a quick kiss. “I hope it’s okay; it’s a little overcooked.”

She smiled back. “I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

Oliver glanced over at Todd. “Do you want some, too? I can make more.”

“Nah. I’m okay for now.” He started on his fruit salad.

Oliver went back, collected the earlier pancake he had made, and rejoined the other two at the table. After a moment’s hesitation, he took off his T-shirt and hung it on the back of the chair before sitting down in just his boxers.

When Helena gave him a quizzical look, he grinned. “Todd’s distracting you too much. I’m just giving him some competition.”

She laughed. “You didn’t need to do that. Not that I mind, but you don’t need to worry.”

Oliver shrugged. “I wasn’t worried. I just didn’t want Todd to get a swollen head on the mistaken assumption he thought he was good-looking.”

Todd swallowed to clear his mouth. “Don’t worry; I’ll leave that problem to you.” He leant forward towards Helena and lowered his voice in a fake whisper. “He suffers from delusions of grandeur. Just go along for the ride; it’s easier.”

Helena chuckled. “I haven’t minded the ride so far.”

Oliver felt her hand stroke his thigh under the table. He grinned as he bent over and gave her a kiss. “That’s my girl.”

Todd shook his head. “Another delusional person. Helena, I hope you know that there’s a cure for that condition. You just need some big hunky guy to spend some quality time with you.”

“Sounds good to me!” When both guys looked at her in surprise, she grinned and wrapped her arms around Oliver’s left arm. “Doctor’s orders, Ollie. You need to spend a lot of quality time with me.”

Todd gave a mock grimace. “Hey, I meant bigger and hunkier than that.”

“He’s big enough for me.” She pulled Oliver in for a quick kiss. “And he’s definitely a hunk.”

Smiling, Oliver turned to Todd. “You lose, at least with this one. Now get back to last night. What happened?”

“Where was I?” Todd scratched his head.

“You were saying Paul went out.”

“Ah, yes. Okay, after that, I hung around for awhile, but I was bored. I needed to do something and eventually sent a text to the girl I met last weekend, asking if I could go around to her place. She said yes, and that was it. I got back here just after two this morning. Paul was already home by then.”

Ollie shook his head. “You’re leaving out a lot, Todd. If I remember correctly, she wouldn’t let you sleep with her last weekend, and you’ve not contacted her all week, so how come she was so ready for you to jump into bed with her after a single text?”

Todd flicked his eyes towards Helena and then back to Oliver. “Maybe we can discuss this later?”

Oliver narrowed his eyes. “I don’t think so.” He turned to Helena. “Todd, like me, isn’t into one-night stands. We like sex, but we like to get to know our partners outside of the bedroom, too. As I told you last weekend, we’re not necessarily great with long-term commitments, but while we’re with a girl, she’s it. We don’t sleep with other girls while we’re dating...ever.”

He looked back at Todd. “So, spill. What’s going on here?”

Todd grimaced and focused his eyes on his bowl of fruit. “It’s a little complicated, and it’s definitely personal. I don’t want to say.”

Oliver frowned. “Todd, if you’re–”

“Ollie, let him be. He’ll tell you when he’s ready. He doesn’t know me, and he’s obviously uncomfortable talking about it in front of a stranger. Maybe he’ll tell you after I’ve gone.”

Oliver stared at her for a second, then at Todd. He sighed. “Okay. I’ll drop it...for now.”

She rested a hand on Oliver’s bicep. “Thanks, Ollie. Now, I’ve got a question.”

“Oh? What is it?”

“When do I get my special medical treatment of quality hunky-guy time, as prescribed by Doctor Todd here?”

Oliver grinned. “Immediately after we’ve finished breakfast.”

Helena pushed her plate with the half-eaten pancake away. “I’m finished.”

Oliver grabbed a quick final mouthful from his own plate “I’m finished, too. Let’s go.”

The two were chased back to Oliver’s bedroom by Todd’s laughter.

* * *

Ryan looked up from reading the Sunday newspaper and frowned at the figure entering the room. “Who are you?”

Ty blinked. “What the fuck are you playing at? You know who I am.” He headed to the pantry and took out a box of cereal.

Ryan shook his head. “You look like Ty, but he’s never up before midday after going clubbing. It’s just after nine. You’re not him.” Ryan grinned.

Ty flipped him a middle finger. “Fuck you. I came home early for once. It’s not a crime.” He moved over to the cupboard with the bowls.

“No, but you have to admit that it’s not normal.” Ryan gave Ty a searching stare. “Are you feeling okay?”

“Fuck off.” Ty scowled as he slammed the bowl he’d found harder than necessary onto the kitchen bench top.

Ryan grinned and stood up. “You’re fine. Sit down and I’ll get you a coffee. The kettle’s just boiled.” He moved over to where the mugs were kept.

Ty paused on his way to the fridge and frowned at Ryan. “You don’t have to do that.”

“Sit down. I want to get the story of what happened.”

“Fuck you! If I wanted the third degree, I’d get Dad.” Ty’s anger was evident in the way he yanked the fridge door open.

The voice behind Ty startled both of them. “What am I supposed to be giving you the third degree about?” Jim stepped into the room and fixed Ty with an icy stare. “What have you done now?”

Ty turned around, holding a half-empty milk bottle, and glared back. “Fuck you! I came home early. Is that a crime?”

Jim’s eyebrows rose in surprise. Before he could react, Ryan jumped in. “Sorry, Jim, I was just teasing Ty about being up before lunchtime.”

Jim glanced at Ryan and then back at Ty. “Sorry, Ty. I jumped to conclusions. I shouldn’t’ve.”

Ty scowled for a moment and then broke into a smile. “I don’t see why not. Every other time it would’ve been right.” He moved over and started to make his breakfast.

Jim smiled back. “Still, I’m supposed to be trusting you. That’s my side of the bargain, isn’t it?”

It was Ty’s turn to be startled. He looked away. “Er...I guess.”

“Coffee, anyone?” Ryan asked as he started to fill up the kettle on the chance that Jim would also want a cup.

Jim nodded. “Thanks, that’d be nice.” He moved to the nearest kitchen chair and sat down.

“Yeah, I’ll have one, too. Sorry for yelling at you, Ryan.” Ty joined Jim at the table with his bowl of cereal.

Ryan put the kettle on and then looked back at Ty. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Ryan, enough,” Jim said. “Leave him alone.”

“Thanks, Dad, but it’s okay. I know this isn’t normal.”

Jim grinned. “It is normal, brat; just not normal for you.”

Ty grinned back. “Fuck you.”

Jim cocked his head. “Do you want to tell us why you’re home early? Does it have anything to do with this afternoon’s training session?”

Ty shrugged. “A bit, but that wasn’t the main reason. I thought about that when I was wondering if I should head back, but I wouldn’t have if I hadn’t had an excuse to leave.”

“So, what happened?”

“Not a lot. Got some drinks spilt on me, ruining my shirt. Left the nightclub early as a consequence. Caught a train. Met a girl. Walked her home and then headed back to the station to continue the trip. Came home to sleep.”

Jim held up his hands. “Whoa, there. You took a girl home but didn’t stay the night?”

Ty scowled. “Is there anything wrong with that?”

Jim gave him a half-smile. “No, but I have to go with Ryan: this isn’t what you normally do.”

Ty sighed. “Yeah, I know. This one’s different...that’s all.”

“Different?”

Ty grinned and pulled out his phone. “I’ve got her picture here.” He found the photos taken on the train and then held his phone out to show Jim. Ryan came over and looked over Jim’s shoulder.

“Nice!” Ryan said before heading back to where he was making the coffees. “What’s her name?”

“Karen. She’s a student at RMIT, same as Charlie, but she works weekends. She was on her way home from her shift at the hospital when I met her.” Ty’s face was lit up as he spoke.

Jim chuckled. “Are you going to see her again?”

“Fuck, yeah! She’s going to come out to watch our training on Wednesday, and then we’re going out afterwards.”

“That’s great. I hope it all works out for you.”

“I hope so, too. Any chance you and Denise could tag along? I was thinking the Olinda Creek Hotel for dinner, and then I’d take her home on the train.”

“Would you like to borrow my car for the night?” Ryan asked. “That’ll be nicer than the train.”

Ty smiled. “Thanks, Ryan, but no. It’ll take longer if we go by train, and I won’t have to concentrate on driving.”

Jim laughed. “Sounds like you’ve got it all planned out.”

“Can you come, then?”

“I’d have to check with Denise, but if she’s free, yeah, we’ll come.”

“If she’s not, can you come anyway? I’d really like you to meet her.”

Jim stared at Ty for a moment and then nodded slowly “Okay, brat. I’ll come. I’ll ring Denise later to see what she’s doing.”

“Cool!”

Ty pulled out his phone and started typing.

“What are you doing?” Jim asked.

Ty didn’t look up. “A couple of texts. One to Karen to confirm Wednesday and the other to Charlie to see how things went with Shelley.”

“Shelley?”

Ty looked up and grinned. “She was getting awfully close to him when I left the nightclub. I’m hoping he didn’t make it home, at least not alone. That was the other reason I cleared out – to give him room to get it on with Shelley.”

Ryan brought over two mugs of coffee. “Sounds like it was an eventful night.”

“Thanks, Ryan.” Jim looked back to Ty. “Was there anyone else with Charlie and Shelley?”

“Yeah, thanks,” Ty said as he accepted his drink. “Jarrod was there with Brenda.” He narrowed his eyes. “Why did you ask?”

Jim shrugged and then took a sip of his coffee. “I’m not sure he’d cope with being left alone at a nightclub. Charlie strikes me as being rather...inexperienced when it comes to girls.”

Ty gave him a wry smile. “I’ve noticed the same thing. That’s why I’m hoping things worked out for him last night. Shelley looked like the sort of girl who’ll teach him a few things.”

* * *

Julie frowned at Aaron. “You don’t have to do this. I’ll be working and won’t be able to spend time with you.”

Aaron grinned as he put her sports bag in the back of his car. “I know, but this is a public area we’re going to. There’s no reason I can’t go for a run at the same time as the Leopards. You can introduce me to Paul, and maybe we’ll get to chat a bit while we run. That way, dinner tonight won’t be quite as traumatic.” He shrugged. “And the fitness work won’t hurt, either. I’ve still got my football career with the Broncos to worry about.”

Julie grimaced as she walked around to the passenger side of the car. “I can’t help feeling that this isn’t right, but I don’t know why. You know I won’t be able to pay any attention to you while we’re training. You’ll be effectively by yourself.”

Aaron gave her a smile across the top of the green Mazda 626. “Just introduce me to Peter before you start and let him decide if I need to be ignored. Don’t make things harder for yourself than you need to.”

Once the two were in the car, Julie put her hand on top of Aaron’s as he reached for the gear stick. “I need to be careful, Aaron. I’ve already heard rumours that there are people trying to push me out. They don’t want me coaching, and I can’t afford to give them any ammunition.”

Aaron frowned. “Do you know who they are?”

Julie shook her head. “It’s all been third and fourth hand as to the details, but I know someone’s got the ear of the club president, so it’s not a few disgruntled supporters; it’s someone with some clout.”

“Is there anyone on the team still causing problems?” Aaron started the car and put it into reverse.

“Not after the first training session. The guys are listening to me now, and I think they can see what I’m trying to do.”

Aaron waited until he had backed out onto the street. “Could they just be hiding it better?”

“No, I don’t think so. The main culprits at that first session were Ty and Jarrod, and both have completely changed their attitude. Jarrod never apologised, but I told you that Ty rang me the next day. They’ve been fine ever since, and I don’t think it’s an act.”

Aaron flicked Julie a quick glance. “Then who could it be?”

She shrugged. “No idea. It could be a board member or one of the senior admin staff, but I haven’t had much to do with any of them, so I don’t know.”

“Peter’s on your side, though. He’ll back you up.”

Julie sighed. “As much as he can, I think, but if there’s enough pressure put on him, I’ll still be gone.”

“Do you think it’ll come to that?”

“I don’t know. I just don’t know. All I can do is keep doing my job as professionally and completely as I can. That’s why I’m not sure it’s a good idea for you to be coming with me today.”

Aaron frowned while concentrating on his driving. “I’ll do my best to make sure I don’t stuff things up for you, but I think I’ll start asking around to see if I can find out where these rumours are coming from.”

“Aaron, no! Don’t interfere. You’re just as likely to make things worse!”

He flicked her a grin. “Don’t worry, I’ll be subtle.”

“Subtle as a sledgehammer, maybe. Just leave it alone, Aaron. It might all blow over in a few weeks’ time.”

He shook his head. “Sorry, Julie, but no. I’m not going to sit by and watch some anonymous person mess up your career. I’ve already laid the groundwork for checking out what’s going on, so don’t worry.”

She glared at him. “What have you done?”

He chuckled. “Not much. It’s just that one of my old schoolmates has an auntie in the Leopard management. When I say so, he’ll ask her a few questions at the next family gathering.”

“Who?”

“Anne Flintlock, the financial controller.” He grinned. “Impressed?”

Julie nodded slowly. “I’ve met her a couple of times, and she’s been nice. As long as it can’t be traced back, okay.”

Aaron pumped one fist, keeping the other hand firmly on the steering wheel. “Yes! Any chance you’re impressed enough to let me stay the night?”

Julie fixed him with a stern stare.

Aaron glanced at her and then shrugged. “I didn’t think so, but I thought I’d ask again.” He smiled. “But I’m not leaving when Paul leaves. That’s not negotiable. He’s going to be gone way too early to call it a night.”

Julie smiled. “Okay, I think I can put up with you for a couple of hours after he’s gone.”

* * *

“Jim, you got a sec?” Ryan asked after looking around to make sure they were alone.

They were getting ready to head out for the extra training session that had been called by Peter after the game.

Jim gave Ryan a quizzical look. “Sure. What’s up?”

“You said something strange to Ty this morning, and I was wondering if you could tell me what it was about?”

Jim didn’t look any the wiser. “What was it I said?”

“Something about trusting Ty as being your side of the bargain.”

“Ah.... Yeah, I suppose that was a little cryptic, though Ty appeared to understand. It’s not that difficult. Ty’s treating me as his dad, which means he’s doing his best to listen to me when I talk to him, and, in turn, I’ve got to trust him to take those lessons and do his best with them. So far, he’s doing fine.”

Ryan shook his head. “I don’t know how you’re doing it. You got Ty listening to you almost immediately, but he spent a couple of months ignoring me.”

Jim grinned. “It’s partly because I understand a bit of where he’s coming from. I went through my own angry-with-the-world phase when I was fifteen. He’s a bit later than me, but it’s the same thing, even if the cause is probably different.”

“You? Angry with the world?” Ryan shook his head. “I don’t believe it.”

Jim laughed. “I was a stupid fifteen-year-old. I had a crush on someone at school, but at the time I thought she was the love of my life. Unfortunately, she wasn’t interested, and I blamed the world for conspiring to keep her away from me. It was my football coach who turned me around and got me focused on doing what I was good at. He taught me to let go of the things that I can’t control.”

“And you think Ty’s like that?”

“Nah, at least in the details. He’s probably got a different reason for being angry with the world, but the reason doesn’t matter. It’s what he does about it that’s important. He’s got the advantage that he’s a lot more mature than I was,” Jim raised his voice as he continued, “because eighteen-year-olds are too mature to do something like eavesdropping on private conversations.”

Ty and Deon came sheepishly out of the living room.

“How did you know we were there?” Ty asked.

Jim grinned. “I knew you weren’t going to be far away, and then I saw a shadow in the doorway. I didn’t realise it was both of you, but I knew someone was listening.”

“You don’t miss much,” Deon said, giving Jim a quizzical look.

“It’s not that. I’m just starting to understand Ty better, and I know he’d be curious as to what we were talking about, especially if he heard his name.” Jim raised an eyebrow at Ty. “Well?”

Ty grinned. “You don’t know me as well as you think, Dad, but, yeah, you’re on target with that one.”

Jim grinned back. “Come on, brat. Time to go for a run with the rest of the team.”

* * *

“How many have shown up?” Peter asked Will as he watched the players following Julie out on the first of many laps around the Lilydale Lake.

“Seventeen. We’re missing Jai, Ward, Ian, Jarrod and Charlie. Ian sent me a text earlier to say that his boy’s running a fever, and he asked if he could stay home with Stuart. I told him that’s fine. Jai told me yesterday he had a family function on this afternoon – a niece’s birthday, I think.”

“I hope Stuart’s okay, but Ian should know by now he doesn’t have to ask permission for something like that. I’m surprised about Charlie, though. He’s been exceptionally reliable with making optional training sessions.”

Will smiled. “According to Owen, Jarrod and Charlie didn’t make it home until mid-morning. Ty was there when Owen told me, and he immediately pumped his fist, so I’m guessing both guys got lucky.”

“As long as they make at least one of the other two sessions, that’s fine. I suspect Charlie will feel guilty and will show up for both. He’ll probably try too hard, too, so we’ll need someone to pace him and make sure he doesn’t overdo it.”

“We’ll see who else comes, but if there’s no one appropriate, either Julie or I can pace him.”

Peter nodded before changing the subject. “What do you think of Julie’s boyfriend?”

Will frowned. “Aaron? Seems nice enough, but I wish Julie hadn’t brought him. There’s already a few stories going around that she’s not professional enough, and he’s likely to disrupt today’s training.”

Peter didn’t let his thoughts reach his face. He had been made aware that it was Rachel, Will’s wife, who was fuelling at least some of those rumours, even if Will didn’t know it.

“That’s what I’m thinking, too, which is why I’m glad he came.”

Will gave his head coach a puzzled look but didn’t say anything.

Peter chuckled. “Despite the rumours, Julie’s a complete professional. She told me that if I needed Aaron to go away, he would. I told her I was fine with him running. I also had a quiet word with Aaron before I addressed the team. I told him that after the first lap, I wouldn’t mind if he pushed the pace a bit to see who’ll keep up with him.”

“But you told the team it’s not a race! That they needed to keep to a steady pace and respect the other people on the track.”

“Yeah, I know.” Peter smiled. “Let’s find out who listens to the coach and who forgets instructions when there’s a little competition. Most of the players will ignore Aaron, but I think there will be a handful who won’t be able to resist the challenge. Aaron’s smart, too. He gave me a wink after I spoke to the team, so he knows the score. And for Julie’s sake, I’ll make sure the team understands what happened before we finish.”

The two continued their discussion, highlighting the players they felt needed the most conditioning work based on the previous two practise matches. They walked up the trail from the car park to where it joined the main track around the lake. Just over ten minutes later, they saw the approaching runners.

Julie pulled aside and joined them, letting the players continue on another loop around the lake.

“Any problems?” Peter asked while concentrating on the passing players. He smiled and nodded at Aaron as he ran past alongside Paul.

Julie shook her head as she started to slow her breathing. “No, it went fine. We took the detour up the hill by the hospital, as you suggested, but everyone took it without a hassle. We’ll see how they do after a few more laps, though.”

Peter smiled. “I’m expecting hassles with the next lap, though I’d like to be pleasantly surprised. I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve recruited Aaron as a temporary hidden coach.”

“Aaron?” Julie asked, looking puzzled and slightly worried.

“Don’t worry, it’s all okay. His job is as an agent provocateur. I asked him, privately, to push the pace after the first lap. I then told the team it’s not a race. Let’s see who succumbs to the challenge Aaron’s going to throw out. I’m hoping none, but I expect some won’t be able to resist.”

Julie scowled. “Sir, that’s an underhanded–”

Peter held up a hand. “I know, and I also realise you’re angry with me. You don’t call me ‛sir’ unless you’re upset. Don’t worry; I’ll make sure everyone knows that this was my idea, not yours.”

Julie’s fists were clenched at her side. “Peter, my position in the team is–”

“Secure as long as I’m head coach. I can’t stop the board from insisting on the full probation period, but I’ve told them that unless they find a really good reason to terminate your employment, they’d fucking well better confirm your appointment, because I, and the team, really need you.” He looked past her at Will. “I need both of you. Each of you has strengths that’ll help us build this team into one of the best for a long time. Without both of you, we would finish in the bottom half of the ladder – again. With both of you, I’m aiming for a top-four finish.”

He turned his attention back to Julie. “And if to do that means taking advantage of your boyfriend, then that’s what I’m going to do. We’re not here to play nice. We’re here to get the best possible result out of the team. Hell, I’d use Yvonne if I thought the players would believe she’s a challenge, but somehow I don’t think they’d believe my wife’s a threat.”

Peter stopped and stared at Julie for a couple of seconds. He watched as a number of expressions worked their way across her face before she finally schooled her face into one of neutral professionalism.

“Happy, now?”

“No, sir, but I understand.” She paused. “And you’re right about me calling you sir when I’m angry, but I also sometimes use it as a sign of respect.”

“Which is it this time?”

Her lips twisted up at the corner. “Both...Peter.”

* * *

Jarrod entered the darkened room and took a moment to orient himself. Charlie was lying face down on the bed with only the sheet covering the lower part of his body. His clothes had been discarded on the floor, unlike his usual fastidious nature.

Jarrod moved over and sat on the edge of the bed. He put a hand on Charlie’s shoulder and shook it gently.

“Charlie, wake up.”

A minute later, Charlie had rolled over and was blinking his eyes. “Jarrod?” He levered himself up onto one elbow.

“Sorry, but we need to talk before the others get back from training.”

“Training!” Charlie’s body snapped upright. “Move, Jarrod, I need to get ready.” Charlie started to bring his legs up from under the sheet.

Jarrod put his hand back on Charlie’s shoulder to make him stop. “Chill. It’s already too late. We’ll catch the one on Tuesday night, instead.”

Charlie grimaced and dropped his gaze. “Shit! I was supposed to wake up in time to go.” He winced when he saw his clothes strewn across the bedroom floor.

“It’s okay, but we really need to talk about last night.” Jarrod let go of Charlie and moved to open up a little space between them.

Charlie froze, his body becoming wooden and unmoving. He slowly raised his head to look at Jarrod. “What about last night?”

“I’m not going to tell anyone what happened. As far as everyone else is concerned, the two of us got laid, and that’s it.”

Charlie let out a long breath, and his body relaxed. “Thank you.”

“I think we need to talk about it, though,” Jarrod said, trying to keep his tone soft and gentle.

Charlie stiffened again and looked away. “What do you mean?”

“We were in adjacent rooms, Charlie. I heard some of what was said, and Shelley came in later, and I got the rest.” Jarrod gave an embarrassed chuckle. “I’d never had a threesome before, but I was too far gone to turn Shelley down. I wanted to apologise for that.”

“Apologise? For what?” Charlie glanced nervously at Jarrod and then away.

Jarrod could feel his face going red. “For...you know...finishing what you couldn’t...didn’t...do.” It was Jarrod’s turn to stare at the floor.

“I...um...it wasn’t...”

Jarrod grimaced and forced himself to look back at Charlie. His housemate was wide-eyed, and Jarrod sensed a hint of fear.

“You’re a virgin, aren’t you, Charlie?”

Charlie stared for a moment and then visibly swallowed. He nodded.

“You got wasted because you were so nervous, and you couldn’t...er...perform. Then you got even more wasted afterwards. I’m sorry, Charlie, I didn’t realise. You should’ve had better for your first time.”

Charlie grabbed Jarrod’s right bicep. “You’re not going to tell anyone about...you know...it?”

“Of course, not! No one is going to know about what happened. It’s just between you and me, and that’s it.” Jarrod tried to give Charlie an encouraging smile, but he wasn’t sure if it was working.

“What about the...other thing? It was my first time for that, too.” Charlie dropped his hand and lowered his head.

Jarrod smiled. “That, too. You were drunk at the time, and I don’t think you really knew what you were doing.” He frowned. “I hope it’s the last time, as well. You could get suspended if you keep doing it.”

Charlie gave a nervous chuckle. “Yeah, never again.”

“Good. I almost left when they offered us the joints. If you hadn’t accepted, I would’ve gone, but I wasn’t going to leave you there by yourself.”

Charlie looked up. “Thanks, mate.”

Jarrod grabbed Charlie and pulled him into a hug. He felt Charlie's body stiffen and then relax. “Anytime, Charlie. I’m here for you whenever you need me.”

Charlie put his arms around Jarrod and gave him a tentative hug in return. “Thanks, Jarrod.”

* * *

“Dave, Ty, Zach, over here,” Peter called out as the leading group of runners returned from their second lap. He pointed to the space next to him. “Keep running on the spot until I tell you otherwise.”

The three exchanged glances but did what they were told. Aaron stayed on the track, though he looked back at them until Peter waved him on.

“What did I tell everyone before we started the run?” Peter demanded.

Zach stopped. “You said–”

Did I tell you to stop running?

Zach resumed running on the spot. “Sorry. You said we needed to work to improve our endurance.”

“I also said that it wasn’t a race. I made that perfectly clear, I thought. Did I make it clear?”

Peter’s angry gaze swept over the three, receiving various forms of affirmation.

“Then why did I find the three of you a long way in front, running with Aaron? When he increased his speed, which he did because I asked him to, you were not supposed to follow. You were supposed to stay with your teammates, keeping the pace that had been set for you, but you decided to ignore my clear instructions and do what you wanted to do instead. Am I right?”

Peter gave them half a second before increasing the pressure. “Am I right?

The three glumly indicated their agreement. Peter turned to Will at his side. “Get Jim and Roger when they pass.” He noted Ty’s flinch at the request.

“Since you have trouble following instructions, you’re getting babysitters. You will stay at the pace that Roger and Jim set, and you will stick with them like glue. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Peter,” they chorused with a notable lack of enthusiasm.

Will was bringing Roger and Jim over as they finished. Peter turned to the two.

“Guys, you’re now the pacesetters for these three. Make sure they stay with you. They’re not to lag behind, and they’re not to get ahead of you. Now, get going and catch up to the rest of the group.”

After they were gone, Peter turned to the other two coaches. “Ty and Zach, I can understand, but I was surprised to see Dave in that group.”

“I’m not,” Julie said. “His behaviour yesterday during the game looked to me like someone who was funnelling anger or frustration. He was doing the same today in the run. I don’t know what’s going on with him, but that’s what it looks like to me.”

“Julie’s right, though I hadn’t realised that’s what it was,” Will said. “I know what the issue is, though. He’s been upset for most of the week with some personal issues regarding a girl. He’s kept it out of training during the week, but it’s been affecting him outside of the club. It looks like it’s starting to impact on his game.”

Peter narrowed his eyes as he thought. “For now, we’ll just keep an eye on it. We’ve got a week until the next game, and that may be enough for him to sort himself out.”

“What about Ty and Zach?” Julie asked.

“Zach’ll be fine. We’ve been through this before with him. He’ll take my lecture to heart, and it should hold for two or three weeks – four if we’re lucky – before he starts reacting instead of thinking again. Ty, I’ll leave to Jim. Ty flinched when he realised who was going to be setting the pace for him. He’ll remember the lesson because he’s going to have to explain what he did to Dad at some stage.”

Peter smiled at Will and Julie. “Will, I think you should set the pace for the next lap. Pick up the speed a little. We’ll hold them at that for two laps, and then I’ll take them for a lap to drop them back down. Julie, I want one fast lap near the end and then a cool-down lap. I’ll leave it to you as to whether you want Aaron to work with you on either of those two laps, but I think it’ll work better if it’s just you.”

* * *

“Man, she’s still a bitch,” Ty said as Ryan drove them out of the car park.

Ryan laughed. “Why? Because she made you run hard?”

“Yeah, but her boyfriend’s just as bad. I still can’t believe he and Peter tricked me like that.”

Jim chuckled. “Serves yourself right, brat. You didn’t listen hard enough when he told us what we had to do.”

The four had taken one car to the training session. Ty had grabbed the front seat next to the driver, leaving Jim and Deon to squeeze themselves into the back seat of Ryan’s car.

“I thought aggression and competitiveness are part of our job. How was I supposed to know it was a setup?”

“Aggression and competitiveness are part of the job, but there’s a time and place for everything. You need to learn when to be aggressive and when to let things slide. This was a time when you needed to let them slide.”

“It’s about not reacting to our opponents’ taunts, isn’t it, Jim?” Deon asked.

“Exactly! If you’re getting sledged by one of the other team, you can’t afford to let it disrupt how you play. Peter’s trap was more subtle than that, but it’s the same principle. You let Aaron dictate what you did, Ty, rather than doing what Peter told you to do.”

Ty sat silent for a moment. He twisted in his seat so he could look at Jim.

“It’s part of the same thing we’ve been talking about for the last week, isn’t it? How being a football player is more than just playing football. Having the skills to play is important, but so are other things like teamwork and being able to follow instructions. Am I right?”

Jim grinned. “You’re right, but the harder lesson is knowing when to not follow instructions. That takes experience, and it’s not easy to learn. For now, concentrate on listening to Peter and then reading the situation to see if what you’ve been told still applies.”

Ty nodded slowly. “How many more of these things do I have to learn?”

“I don’t know, Ty. There’s always something new. Following instructions is really just part of teamwork, so if you keep that at the top of your mind, you’ll be on the right track. The more detail you get into, the more you find you still need to work on. That’s true for all of us, and it continues on at the AFL level, too. You can ask Roger about that.”

Ty stared for a moment. “What do you still need to work on, Dad?”

Jim grimaced and looked away. “Too many things.” He looked back and grinned. “I’m still working on how to deal with annoying brats without losing my temper. That’s teaching me a lot about self-control.”

Ty grinned back. “So, you’re saying you owe me one. When can I collect, Dad?”

“Fuck off. I don’t know what I’ve done to be cursed with you, brat, but it must’ve been something really bad.” Jim’s tone indicated he wasn’t serious.

Ty settled back into his seat, still grinning. “Not as bad as what I’ve done. I’ve been handed you as my dad. Nothing can be worse than that.”

“Brat.”

* * *

Oliver stood at the entrance to Todd’s bedroom. “Paul’s gone to dinner with his sister and won’t be back until late. It’s just the two of us, so how about spilling the rest of the details as to what happened last night?”

Todd shrugged as he started to rummage through his wardrobe. “Sorry, Ollie, but it’ll just be you soon. I’m going out, too. I just need to get changed first.”

Oliver’s fist made a dull thud as it slammed into the door frame. “What the fuck is going on, Todd? I thought we were best mates, but you’re shutting me out. Something’s not right with this girl of yours, and I’m getting concerned.”

Todd looked back in surprise. “There’s nothing to worry about. Just a few things I needed to deal with, and hopefully I’ll have the last of them sorted tonight.”

“And then you’ll tell me what’s going on?” Oliver’s glare warned Todd that there was only one acceptable answer.

Todd sighed and his shoulders slumped. “Yeah, but not tonight. The next time when it’s just the two of us. Some things I don’t want spread around, at least not yet.”

“I’ll be waiting.” Oliver’s tone made it both a threat and a warning.

* * *

Todd grinned at the surprised look on Lorraine’s face as she answered the door.

“Hi! You look like you weren’t expecting me.” Todd passed over the small bouquet of flowers. He was pleased to see that, as he’d hoped, they matched the tattoos that flowed down the upper portion of her left arm.

She smiled weakly and waved him inside. “I wasn’t sure if you’d be back.”

Todd gave her a kiss on her cheek as he passed, keeping hold of the shopping bag in his left hand. “I told you last week that I wasn’t into one-night stands. I said I’d come for dinner tonight, and here I am.”

“But after last week, when you left suddenly, and then that text out of the blue last night...”

Todd gave her another kiss, this time on the lips. “We’ll talk about it later. I know I’ve got some explaining to do, but not now.” He glanced past her. “Hi, Becky!”

The slender ten-year-old girl was scowling and had her arms crossed. “Why are you here?”

Another smaller face peeked out from behind the young girl and then disappeared behind her again.

“Becky!” Lorraine turned to Todd. “I’m sorry; she’s been really moody lately.”

Todd gave Lorraine a smile, and then knelt down so he was closer to Becky’s eye height. “I’m here because I really like your mum, and I want to see a lot more of her. That means seeing you and your brother, too, so I hope that’s okay.”

“No, it’s not!”

“Becky! You apologise right now.” Lorraine glared down at her daughter.

“Why? He’s just going to leave you crying, like all the rest.”

Lorraine went red. “Todd, I...”

Todd smiled up at her. “It looks like we’re going to have that talk now, instead of later. Can we go into the lounge room?” He turned back to Becky. “But before we do that, can I say hello to your little brother? He was asleep last night, and he never got to meet me.”

Becky scowled. “He doesn’t need to know you.”

“Becky, that’s enough!”

Todd interrupted before the argument between mother and daughter escalated. “Sean, can you come and say hello? I’ve got a present for you and your sister.”

The small face reappeared. “A pressie?”

Todd smiled as he reached into the shopping bag. “Yes, would you like to come and get it?”

The face disappeared again.

“Sean’s shy with strangers,” Lorraine said. “Let’s all move into the other room. Becky, start behaving and show Todd the way.”

She scowled. “He was there last night. He should remember where it is.”

Lorraine narrowed her eyes at her daughter. “Becky, do you want to lose TV time? Be nice and take Todd to the lounge room.”

“Fine!” Becky stormed off, leaving Sean exposed. The six-year-old boy looked around frantically for a moment before running after his sister.

“Todd, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what’s gotten into her.”

Todd smiled as he stood back up. “Don’t worry about it. I hope you don’t mind me getting something for the kids. It’s only a box of chocolates.”

Lorraine rolled her eyes. “Great, now I’m going to have hyperactive kids who won’t go to sleep.” She smiled and reached up to give Todd a quick kiss. “Thank you. You didn’t need to do that.”

Todd intertwined his arm with hers. “Let’s go. I’ve got some explaining to do.”

A few minutes later, Todd and Lorraine were together on the couch, his arm around her shoulder and her head on his chest. Becky and Sean were on the floor watching the television, the open box of Cadbury Favourites lying between them.

Todd took a deep breath. “Firstly, I need to explain what happened last week. You’d told me at the nightclub that you had two kids, and you’d made it clear that they were the centre of your world. It wasn’t until we got back here and the first thing you did was to ring your cousin to check on Sean and Becky that I realised how much they really meant to you. I was looking at the photos while you were on the phone,” he said, waving a hand at various picture frames around the room, “and I suddenly understood that I wouldn’t have you to myself.”

“I just needed to make sure they were okay. Then, you would’ve had me for the rest of the night.”

“I know, but I told you I was looking for more than one night, and I realised that you’re a package deal. It’s not just you; it’s you and the kids. That’s what scared me and why I ran off.”

Todd could feel Lorraine shudder, but when she tried to pull away, he held her back. Not enough to constrain her, but just enough so she would know he didn’t want her to leave. He gave a sigh of relief when she stayed.

“You just left, making some sort of flimsy excuse. You didn’t reply when I tried to call you the next day, so I thought you were just another guy who couldn’t deal with a single mum.”

“I had a lot of thinking to do. Lorraine, you shook me up. I really liked you, but then I found out you came with strings attached. If I wanted to be with you, I would also need to be with the kids. I didn’t think I was ready for that.

“Normally, I’ll date a girl for a few weeks or maybe a couple of months and then move on, but I couldn’t do that with you. That wouldn’t be fair to Becky and Sean, and that’s why I didn’t get back to you. I wasn’t sure I wanted the responsibility of being there for your kids.”

Lorraine moved so she could look Todd in the eye. “You didn’t need to. They’re my responsibility, not yours. I just wanted you.”

Todd smiled and gave her a kiss. This one he stretched to a few seconds, but pulled back when their lips both parted and their tongues met. He wanted to finish the conversation before his emotions became too heavily involved.

“I know, but as I said before, you’re a package deal. Your family is part of you, part of who you are. If I wanted you, I had to want them, too. My heart’s been telling me all week that the answer was yes, but I was scared. I even lied to my housemates and told them that you were the one with the cold feet, but I knew it was me. Last night, I gave in to my heart, and that’s why I’m here now.

“We might not have a long-term relationship – my history in that respect is poor – but if it doesn’t work out, it won’t be because I didn’t try. I’m here, and I’m going to do my best for you and your kids.”

Todd waited. His body was so tense that he felt it start to shake. He was trying to calm himself down when he felt Lorraine shaking, too.

“What’s wrong?”

“I...I don’t know. How can you say that? How can you be so nice?” She pushed herself away and turned her back on him.

Todd reached out and tried to pull her back. She resisted for a moment and then collapsed against him, still facing away.

“You’re still young, Todd. I’m old. You can’t want me!”

Todd frowned. “You’re not that old, and I’m old enough to know what I want.”

She started to sob. “You don’t really know any of us. I’m a thirty-two-year-old supermarket checkout chick with way too many tattoos and two children from a failed relationship. That’s all I am and all I’ll ever be. I live in a dump that I can only afford because my ex-husband has to pay child support. I’ve had a string of boyfriends, none of whom stayed for long. Some back out as soon as they see my children, like you sort of did last weekend. That’s probably why Becky’s like she is whenever I have a new guy show up. Most of the time I’m finding guys at work or the local bar. I only get one big night out a year with my old girlfriends...and that’s when I met you.

“You don’t want me. You really don’t.”

Todd took a deep breath. “You’re Lorraine Fitzgerald. You’re the proud mother of Rebecca and Sean Fitzgerald. You care about them deeply, and your eyes shine whenever you talk about them. You’re a wonderful dancer, a fantastic kisser, and a sparkling conversationalist.

“There’s still a lot for me to learn about who Lorraine Fitzgerald is, but I’d like to try. I’ve spent a week thinking about it, and you haven’t changed my mind. Last night was probably a mistake–”

He stopped when he felt her stiffen. When she twisted around, he saw her confusion.

Todd smiled. “What we did wasn’t a mistake. It was doing that before I had a chance to get to know you and the kids better. That was the mistake. I told you, I’m not after a one-night stand. I want a relationship that lasts longer than my average – a lot longer I hope – but that depends on both of us trying.”

He moved over and kissed her on the cheek. “I’m going to try. Are you?”

Her eyes were moist as she stared, as if she was searching his face for some hidden secret.

She nodded.

Don't forget you can vote on who you think is 'Ken' in the forum poll thread!
Copyright © 2014 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The beginning of the chapter was so sad. It´s a horrible world when you can´t be both, gay and a football player.

 

Wonderful chapter :*)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/23/2014 03:15 PM, Suvitar said:
The beginning of the chapter was so sad. It´s a horrible world when you can´t be both, gay and a football player.

 

Wonderful chapter :*)

Thank you. I'll admit it's one of my favourites, but I'm also a homeless romantic :)
Link to comment

Really good chapter. I love both the "team challenge" scenes and the one with Todd and Lorraine. BTW you are driving me batty not knowing who Ken is? And, I'm loving it! Thanks Graeme

Link to comment

Well, Todd is apparently not Ken. ;D I really liked that part though, it was a nice ending to the chapter. I hope things go well between them. :)

There have been several strong hints that Paul is Ken. However, after this chapter, I have my suspicions about Charlie... Even if he's not Ken, he might very well be gay. :3

Great work, keep it up! :)

 

Great work! Keep it up:)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/24/2014 01:50 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Really good chapter. I love both the "team challenge" scenes and the one with Todd and Lorraine. BTW you are driving me batty not knowing who Ken is? And, I'm loving it! Thanks Graeme
Thank you! The true identity of Ken will be revealed...eventually. :P
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/24/2014 03:58 AM, Sammy Blue said:
Well, Todd is apparently not Ken. ;D I really liked that part though, it was a nice ending to the chapter. I hope things go well between them. :)

There have been several strong hints that Paul is Ken. However, after this chapter, I have my suspicions about Charlie... Even if he's not Ken, he might very well be gay. :3

Great work, keep it up! :)

 

Great work! Keep it up:)

Thank you!
Link to comment

A great Chapter. So Charlie is the other gay? It was that "other thing" that gave it away.

Loving it all. Thanks.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/24/2014 10:42 AM, ricky said:
A great Chapter. So Charlie is the other gay? It was that "other thing" that gave it away.

Loving it all. Thanks.

Thank you! Sorry, I won't be replying to speculation as to which player is gay :P All I'll say is that you may or may not be right...
Link to comment

This was a simmering chapter with the issues of Dave and Charlie, but at least Tood took the plunge. Now he just has to  come clean to Ollie. I like Peter being devious and so focused on improving his team. ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
29 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

This was a simmering chapter with the issues of Dave and Charlie, but at least Tood took the plunge. Now he just has to  come clean to Ollie. I like Peter being devious and so focused on improving his team. ;) 

Thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..