Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Just Like Family - 2. Chapter 2: Parents and Problems

2 : Parents and Problems

She stood poised like a viper, facing his father with carefully measured venom. Mike had already had enough of her before they had even said hello.

"Michael Go get your things. your staying with me for the rest of the weekend. We have things to discuss." She ordered. Picking up her car keys.

"I'll be waiting in the car." She stalked out of the room past Mike.

"I hate it when she calls me Michael." Mike growled. "What does she want?" he asked his dad.

"Don't know." His dad responded. "Although she has already packed your stuff." He said pointing to Mikes' suitcase and overnight bag.

"Have fun kid." His dad said smiling wickedly. Mike pulled a face and slammed the door behind him.

His mum sat in her car smoking, tapping her fingers impatiently as he tossed his things in her boot. They pulled out of the driveway and spent the hour car ride in silence until Mike asked her a question.

"What do we need to talk about exactly?" he asked. She stopped the car in her driveway and turned to face him.

"I want you to move in with me." She said bluntly. Mike looked at her incredulously; struggling for words.

"No!" he exclaimed. "That's so stupid, Mum I love you, but we don't live together well." He stated. She huffed and got out of the car.

"Look I don't think you understand. Your father, he isn't a dedicated man." She pushed the door open to her the two-bedroom house. Mike hated it, it was so clinical and sterile.

"You shouldn't be living with him." she said.

"And, I shouldn't be living with you either." Mike replied. "But this works mum. Every second weekend with you is enough for both of us, at least that's what I thought"

"Well I'm not happy!" she shouted startling an unsuspecting Mike. She sighed softly and continued. "I'm sorry Michael, but I don't like this anymore." She looked vulnerable; Mike sidled up beside her. This was the last thing he expected.

His mother was a stoic person; she had the ability to bring a grown man to tears. Of course, the fact that she was a law attorney did not help that fact. It seemed her long hours at work and no one to come home to finally caught up with her.

"Mum, why didn't you say something sooner?" Mike soothed. She looked at her son with red eyes.

"Because you were happy." She said simply. They were quiet for a time after that.

"I'll work something out with Dad. Maybe I can spend three nights a week here and four nights a week at Dad's?" Mike suggested. His mother smiled.

"Thank you." She sniffed.

They spent the rest of the day together talking and catching up. For Mike it seemed like his Mum had become a lot less uptight after they had spoken. They even stayed up late and watched a movie together.

"Ok sweetie, I'm off to bed, goodnight. Don't stay up too late." She ambled off to her room. Mike stood up to go to his room when his cell beeped. He picked it up, he had a message from Luke.

Dude, I'm on the net. I have a good idea Get on..

Mike scoffed, that was just like Luke, blunt and to the point. The computer, luckily was located in the living room, in the opposite direction of his Mum's room.

He signed on to his instant messenger. And Luke was the only one online.

Mike_38 - How am I not surprised that you're the only one online.

Lukey-Duke9 - Because you're finely tuned to my nighttime activity, lol.

Mike_38 - Ok, c'mon out with it. Whats your amazing idea....?

Lukey-Duke9 - We're throwing a party. A moving in party.

Mike_38 - .....................

Mike_38 - Luke do me a favor, sniff the air for a moment and tell me, do you smell toast? Because I reckon your having a stroke.

Lukey-Duke9 - C'mon how great is this, we'll have Me, You, Brooke, Erin. And whomever else we can think of.

Mike paused before replying. It actually wasn't a bad idea, it would be nice to get together with his close friends and hang out at his place.

Mike_38 - Ok I'm in, we'll do it the day you move in. alcohol or no?

Lukey-Duke9 - We'll decide on Monday. You gonna be at home tomorrow? coz we can do some planning then.

Mike_38 - Dunno, I'm at my Mum's but she always gets called out so I expect to be home tomorrow.

Lukey-Duke9 - Cool, well im going to get some shut-eye, you shold do the same

Lukey-Duke9 - *should.

Mike_38 - Fine, go then. Leave me all alone. *cries in the corner.*

Lukey-Duke9 - Aww, you poor thing, :P just imagine that while your hugging that pillow pretending it's a hunk, just think of my warm bear like body. Lol.

Mike signed off.

It was a usual way for them to finish their conversations. But still, he felt a little strange this time. He lay down in bed, and true to Luke's word. he held the pillow with his arms wrapped around it.

Closing his eyes the last thing he remembered before falling asleep was that idiot, grinning at him as he lay in his arms

Lights flickered on and off in a shoebox like room. Mike sat at the centre in a moth eaten chair, with a box in his arms. He stood up cradling the package to his chest. It was precious to him but he didn't know why, or what it was. He gradually shuffled his way towards the door. As he turned the handle, the scene shifted quickly in a rush of colour and sound.

He stood in a hallway. Windows ran along both sides, and all that Mike could see are memories that He and Luke shared together. People were all around and Mike tried to call for help with no sound coming out.

He felt a small touch on his shoulder. And turned around, infornt of him stood two people, one was a small boy the other was Luke

"People can't help you, if you don't want the help." Said the small boy, Mike finally recognized him by his shaggy brown hair, it was him when he was younger.

"Hey babe, I cant believe we're dating, yeah I know I wont forget. Don't worry; I have it in my hands chill out Mikey." Luke's apparition said, and Mike noticed he wasn't talking to him right now, he was on his cell phone.

In his hands was the same box that Mike had earlier.

Luke hung up. Then walked over to Mike.

"Please give this to someone who deserves it, don't hurt anymore." He handed back the box to a confused Mike. He then faded into the background.

Mike cautiously opened the box, inside was his heart. It beat pathetically, and as he watched it he started to cry. He didn't know why he felt like it. He started to run. Bursting through the double doors at the end of the hallway and began to fall.

He couldn't stop himself and the last thing he did was scream for someone to help him....

"Michael, are you up yet?" his Mum's voice reverberated in his room.

"Mmmphgrru..." he mumbled. His mum's head poked around the corner of the door.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I have to rush into work, something has come up. Your dad's coming in an hour so make sure your ready. Love you." She bustled off, and Mike lay still for a few minutes until his phone rang loudly. He began to regret his decision of leaving it on the chest of drawers opposite the bed.

He got up grumbling and answered it.

"What.." he growled.

"Hello big boy. How'd you sleep with me in your head?" Came Luke's cheery voice. He had a knack for being way too happy in the morning.

"Amazing, I had no idea you swung my way so willingly." Mike jested.

"Well when given the proper incentive..." he trailed off. Laughing.

Mike cut him off before it got out of hand. "Is there something you want?"

"Actually yes, it's one of those times where you could be of some use." Luke joked. "Are you coming home today?" he asked.

"Yeah, Dad's coming in a hour." Mike replied.

"Cool, I'll be at your pla- wait our place in an hour." He hung up and Mike tossed his phone onto the bed.

He got into the shower and as he started to wash his hair, he pondered what happened the night before. If he was truly honest with himself, he would probably register the twenty other times he had fallen asleep imagining Luke with him, but he brushed it off. Sometimes he rationalized it to having a simple meaning that had nothing to do with Luke.

He got out of the shower and dressed himself in the next thirty minutes and spent the remaining time flicking through the television.

A knock at the door signaled that his dad had arrived.

"Hey kid, ready to go?" he asked jovially. They both got in the car and drove home. "How was it?" his dad asked hesitantly.

"Good, but um." Mike paused he had two tasks.

"I have two things to talk to you about. One, Luke and I want to throw a party for us and our good friends, to celebrate him moving in." he gauged his dad's reaction.

"Maybe. Whats the second thing, you want to start taking drugs and prostituting yourself?"

"C'mon Dad. You can't prostitute me until im legal. We made these plans." Mike jibed.

"Oh yes that's right. Nah, c'mon what is it?" He probed.

"Mum wants to see more of me, so I suggested that I stay there for a few days each week." His dad eyed him suspiciously.

"You suggested that?" he asked skeptically. "Wow, I'm proud of you. Well I think it's a good idea."

"I thought you would." Mike smiled. "But, where do we stand with issue one."

"I'll think about it, I don't really have a problem. But with one condition..."

They stopped out the front of their house with Mike jumping out. His dad leaned over to talk out the window.

"I have some errands to run, so try to keep Luke occupied. He gets too destructive once bored." He said Mike gave him a puzzled expression. He didn't tell his dad that Luke was coming over.

"Look behind you." Mike glanced over his shoulder. And Luke was standing next to the door.

Mike laughed.

"Ok, catch you later dad." He waved as his dad drove off then bent down to pick up his bag.

"Hey man." Luke said as Mike got closer.

"You haven't been here long have you?" Mike asked.

Luke smiled sheepishy. "My family was getting on my nerves with all the packing and stuff." Mike pushed him along.

"C'mon mopey open the door, these bags are heavy." Mike whined.

Luke sneered at him. "What makes you think I have a key." He asked

Mike just stared at him unimpressed.

"Fine your dad already gave me one." He submitted. Opening the door and procedding to hold it open for him.

"Thanks." He dumped his things into his room then walked to the kitchen but had to do a double take.

"Since when did you move in eighty percent of your crap?" Mike said staring into Luke's new room. In the space of a day Luke had already moved in his clothes drawer, television, bed and he even got to decorating his walls.

"I was bored last night, so I came over." He explained

"I can see that." Mike shrugged then poured two glasses of coke for them.

He carried them back into the lounge-room, where Luke had immediately gotten comfortable.

"Why are you just wearing your tracksuit pants and singlet?" Mike asked indicating to his shirt that was thrown over the recliner, and his shoes and socks lying infront of the front door.

"I was relaxing, besides I don't smell that bad do i?" he replied. Mike sighed refusing to answer and collapsed onto the sofa.

"So your plans for this party is?" said Mike

"I was thinking we invite just our close friends, so that's what Brooke, Erin..., You know we don't have that many friends" he thought outloud.

"Well we can bring Cole." Mike suggested. Luke grinned stupidly.

"Ah so you do like him." he laughed shoving Mike.

"You're a funny guy aren't you." Mike replied smiling. "I don't like him the way you think I do, he's just a nice guy." Luke smirked.

"Whatever, what about alcohol?" Luke asked.

"Dad, said he had one condition about alcohol, that it's bought buy him." Mike explained.

Luke snorted. "That's fine by me," he said laughing. They settled to run the plans past Erin and Brooke and continued to stuff around for most of the afternoon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Guys I'm home" Mikes dad echoed through the house. He pushed open the door carrying a bundle of groceries.

Dropping them in the hallway he stood waiting for their voices.

There was no sound, it vaguely concerned him, so he checked the rooms stopping in the loungeroom last. Mike was slumped on the ground asleep in a headlock from a dozing Luke.

In the back of his mind, he was torn in two with letting Luke live with them. He knew that Mike felt something other than their friendship. Even if Mike didn't realize it himself.

However, he still had a carload of things to be brought in so.

"GET UP!" he shouted, startling both of them awake.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike jolted, his dad's voice echoing in his skull. He felt the arm around his neck and shrugged out of it's loose hold.

He gazed up at his father stupidly

"What do ya want?" he grumbled

"You two, out there, getting the shopping." His dad replied. Mike shook Luke awake, who sat up wide awake.

"Yeah?" he asked. Mike just glared at him.

"Where is the transition from morning grogginess, and afternoon awareness?" Mike asked in disbelief.

Luke shrugged in response. "Whatever, Dad wants our help." They gathered the bags and carried them inside

Luke cornered Mike's dad with his shopping bags.

"So pops what say you about letting us have our small gathering."

He laughed in Luke's face.

"God you wont even let me get settled." He smiled then reached into one of the bags in Lukes hands.

"Have you even seen whats in your hands?" he asked, pulling out a piece of clothing.

Lukes' eyes widened as he took in the sight of a designer jacket. It was an army green zip-up. With two pockets. The collar was stitched with a type of artificial fur.

"Yes, that one is for you." He held it out and Luke grabbed at it. "Your welcome."

Luke broke out of his stupor "Oh, sorry. Thanks, I love it." He pulled it on and it fit him perfectly. "Whats the other one?" he asked, trying to peer into the bag. But Mike's dad pulled it away from him.

"Nope, that's not yours' to see. I bought them each for you both, but I don't want you to see each-other in them, so get out of that." Luke shucked off the jacket and handed it back to Murray

"And why don't you want us to see them on each-other?" Luke queried.

"Because I decided that your both going to get the royal treatment on Friday when you officially move in."

Luke watched Murray with raised eyebrows.

"Don't give me that look." Murray raised his hands in defense. A heavy thud made them both turn around.

"Is ANYONE going to help me?" Mike yelled. Atleast seven bags lay at his feet. Luke started to laugh.

"Calm down I'm coming." Luke ambled past him to the garage.

"Come here." Murray motioned to Mike. He pulled out another jacket, carefully holding Lukes' one out of sight.

"Wow dad, how much was this?" he asaked holding it up. It was a dark brown cordouroy jacket with patches on the elbow.

"Never you mind how much it was. But I knew you'd like it." He smiled then took it off of him.

"Hey what the hell?" Mike shouted. "Why give it to me if your going to just take it off of me?" He asked.

"Because I got one for you, and one for Luke, and your going to wear them for each-other on Friday." Mike stared at him with his eyebrows raised.

"Yeah thats the same look Luke gave me." He smiled. "Trust me."

Mike shrugged. "Oh I trust you, your just weird." He joked.

 

With the groceries packed away, the three of them sat on the couch, Luke and their dad were watching the AFL on the television. And Mike sat with his sketch-pad on his lap and pencil in hand.

"What are you drawing? Luke queried. Resting his head on Mikes shoulder.

Mike felt his face flush, and out of the corner of his eye he saw his Dad ‘s forehead crease with worry.

He held up his book to Luke's face.

Luke stared at it then turned his face sideways squinting at it. "What the hell is that?" he asked laughing.

Mike pulled it down away from him and looked at it, then glared at Luke. "What do you mean what is it, It's each of us. Me, You, Brooke and Erin."

Luke shoved Mike playfully grinning. "I know, I was just playing." He said. Mike groaned in reply.

"Guys I want to set some ground rules while I have the chance." Murray said.

Mike smirked. "You mean while there are ads?" he commented, indicating to the T.V. Murray smacked his son on the back of the head.

"Don't be such a smart ass. Now on Friday, I will be supplying five or six drinks each. You can use the backyard with the oudoor heater, you'll need it. And each of them must ask their parents before coming. I don't mind if they have to ring me to double check about whose coming or things like that. Is this understood?" he explained. Mike nodded smiling. Luke doing the same with a huge grin on his face.

"Crystal clear dad." Said Luke.

"Good." Murray said, switching his gaze back to the television.

About halfway through the game the doorbell rang, Mike glanced at his dad and Luke as neither of them made a move to get up.

"Fine I'll get it." He sighed defeated. He opened the door and Erin stood shivering slightly. "Dude, why are you outside in just a pair of shorts and a t-shirt." Mike asked wide-eyed.

"I ran here." He replied laughing. "Can I come in?" he asked.

"Yeah, but before you leave your taking a jumper off me." Mike said stepping aside.

They moved into the loungeroom and Luke glanced up to see who arrived. "Oh hey Erin. Whats going on man?" he asked

"Luke, what are you doing here?" he replied, confused. Mike stood surprised beside him.

"Didn't B tell you, He's living with me from now on." Mike explained. Erin stood for a moment and then you could tell it clicked in his head.

"Oh yeah. She did mention that at one point." He admitted.

Mike shook his head slowly. "Why are you here Erin?" he said as he sighed. Erin's eyes widened slightly. And his face flushed.

"Oh, um can we talk about it in your room?" he asked Mike; who nodded in reply. Luke gazed at Erin; as if to say ‘can I come too?' "Yes you can come as well Luke. I could use both of your expertise." Erin led the way to Mike's room with Mike and Luke staring at eachother dazed.

As they both sat down on Mike's bed Erin shut the door carefully.

"What's going on Erin?" Luke asked him as Erin pulled the armchair that Mike had gotten from a market, under himself.

"Um ok so this is a lot harder than I thought. But I feel like you guys can help me." He said. He still shivered. And Mike realized that he was nervous.

"Erin, what is it?" Mike asked gently.

Erin looked at both of them his face growing paler by the second. "I think I'm in love with Brooke." He said. He shut his eyes and rocked back and forth. Then his cheeks ballooned. And his eyes widened.

"Oh shit, Luke go get a bucket now!" Mike yelped.

Luke flashed out of the room lightning quick and returned in record time. Holding the bucket for Erin as he expelled his dinner into it.

Mike giggled slightly.

"What are you laughing at?" Luke shot at him.

"Not at him chucking up, what he just said." He explained. Erin then started to talk into the bucket.

"Oh man, you think its hopeless don't you?" he wailed. "If you think its hopeless then I have no chance." He continued.

Luke grimaced "Are you done yet?" he asked. Erin nodded and slowly pulled his head out, wiping his mouth on his arm.

"Oh gross!" Mike exclaimed and pulled the tissues off of his desk, tossing them at Erin.

"Why do you think you love her?" Mike asked gently whilst rubbing Erin's back.

"I don't know, I've just had a crush on her for so long, and she's so beautiful and smart and funny. And when she smiles, she smiles with her soul. And when she walks past i can tell it's her if my eyes are shut." Erin explained.

Mike smiled. "Look Erin, I didn't mean to laugh. I just thought it was funny that it made you throw up, saying that you love someone." Mike said.

"What should I do?" Erin asked. Luke shrugged.

"Dunno dude, I haven't been in love before." He said sympathetically.

Mike sighed. "Neither have I." he added.

Erin groaned. "Great so I'm on my own?" he asked. To which the other two shook their head.

"Just because we haven't been In love doesn't mean we wont help you." Luke reasoned.

Erin exhaled "Thanks guys." They all returned to the loungeroom to where his dad was still watching the television.

"Hate to have a social life wouldn't you." Mike commented.

His dad picked up the remote and threw it at him. Mike ducked as it flew over his head and hit the wall.

"Don't be such a smartarse, now pick that up and throw it at yourself." Murray muttered. Erin laughed and sat down with Luke on the couch.

"Well, seeing as you're here. Me and Luke were thinking about throwing a party to celebrate Luke moving in. do you think you can come?" Mike asked. Erin screwed his face up in concentration.

"Hm, I don't know, I should be allowed to." He thought aloud.

Luke smirked. "Good, you better be here if you knew what was good for you." Luke growled. He then laughed at Erin's shocked expression.

"Jeez, I'm kidding." He said. "no-one ever takes me seriously until I make a threat." He continued exaspereatedly.

Mike wasn't in the mood for another ‘woe is me' speech by Luke so he made the excuse that he needed another drink.

"But your glass isn't empty." Said Luke as Mike walked away.

He stood leaning against the cupboard, trailing his toe in a circle.

"Whats the matter?" it was Erin, he appeared from around the corner and started to lean against the pantry with him.

"Oh nothing, just you know how he does that whole oh pity me thing?" Mike explained. "after you've heard it so many times it gets a little..." he trailed off.

Erin smiled. "Yeah I understand, but trust me, the things you hate today, you'll miss when its gone." He said sagely.

Mike snorted, "Oh is that right!" he exclaimed skeptically.

"You can moan and groan all you want. But its true, trust me." Erin replied, waggling his finger.

"Whatever Romeo." Mike said wickedly.

Erin's face flushed. "Hey!" he shouted and shoved Mike against the cupboard angrily.

"Whoa man clam down" Mike said shrugging him off. Erins' eyes softened and he collected himself.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean that." He apologized.

Luke rushed in, his eyes wild. "You ok Mikey?" he asked glaring at Erin.

Mike placed a hand on Luke's shoulder. "Yeah I'm fine, it was my fault anyway." He explained.

"Ok" Luke said his whole body relaxing.

"You know it's a shame you two cant date." Erin said, his eyes glazing over at the thought of the possibility of friends dating.

"If I was gay I would date Mike." Luke said smiling fondly at Mike. "But I can't do that. But that doesn't mean you can't date Brooke." Luke reasoned

"Luke's right." Mike agreed whilst pushing the memory of the dream out of his mind.

"Mike calm this guy down while I go use the toilet." Luke left the room and stopped in the hallway. Careful to make sure he was out of sight and earshot.

"Damn it." He whispered. "I don't understand myself anymore. Mike is just a friend." He heard Mike and Erin start to laugh at something. The sound of his voice made his body tingle And his stomach turn.

"Just a friend, just a friend..."

Copyright © 2011 Happiness is Key; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..