Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Just Like Family - 5. Chapter 5: Unwelcome Surprise

is given.

5 : Unwelcome Surprises

After the morning periods ended, the day zoomed past. Mike felt his energy fading and if Luke hadn't brought him a coffee at lunch Mike probably wouldn't have been able to stay awake for the last two classes.

When the final bell rang, all seven of the teenagers met at the front gate and walked to Mike's house together.

Mike could hear Luke and Brooke talking, part of him ached to drop Adam's clammy hands and hold the calloused guitar fingers in his hand.

"For anyone who hasn't been to our place. Do you see that mansion like place." Luke said pointing up the hill that led to their home. "That's not our house." He finished. Everyone laughed even Mike cracked a smile despite what he was thinking.

"That grey shoe-box looking thing, that's where we're going." He explained, pointing at the house they were moving towards.

Mike pushed the door open as Luke turned the key. Everyone filed obediently into the Dining room, it being the largest room seemed like a good choice to have everyone sit there while his dad gave his responsibility speech.

Mike showed everyone around the unit, whilst Luke set things up in the small backyard.

"Hey, do you mind if me and Brooke cook dinner?" Quinn asked. Brooke spun around quickly.

"Um, since when was I cooking?' she asked, her eyes wide.

Quinn shrugged. "I don't know, maybe we can all help and make a good meal?" she suggested. Mike liked the idea, everyone in the kitchen together cooking then relaxing with the fruits of their labour.

"I like that idea, Well if everyone can think of something they want to make put the ingredients on this notebook." Mike said lifting his phone notepad up, then set it down on the counter.

"And a group of us will go down and get the things." he said, he picked decided upon himself brooke and Luke to go down the street but adam showed interest in him going.

"Well you can go instead of me" Brooke offered.

He jumped at the chance and so the three of them set off with Murray driving them.

The supermarket was quiet; only three other car parks had been taken up. "Wow, where is everyone?" Luke muttered to himself.

Mike glanced over at him, "It's usually like this, even on a Friday. It doesn't really have a lot to choose from." He explained.

Luke nodded slowly in understanding. The three of them got out of the car leaving murray in park. As soon as they entered the store Luke and Adam had shielded their eyes form the harsh fluorescent lights dangling dangersouly close to Luke's head.

"What the..." Luke muttered.

Mike strolled past them with a basket in hand. "You get used to it." He replied his face almost split in half by a smug grin. They spent ten minutes shopping and as they were getting the last things from the asian food section Adam smacked his head causeing the other two who were arguing profusely about which curry powder to get. To turn around.

"What?" Mike asked his eyes furrowed puzzled.

"I forgot to get my vitamins from home, I'll just go grab some over in the other aisle and meet you at the check-out." He said hurrying off.

Luke watched Adam dash off it gave him an opportunity to talk to Mike without much interruption except for the music playing over the speakers above.

"I hate watching you with him." he whispered to Mike, who was reaching into the back of a shelf his head close to the shelfs edge.

The warm contact on his ear sent a shiver down his back and made Mike jump slamming his head on the shelf above sending the cans stacked there to roll off and onto the floor.

"Son of a-" Mike wimpered choosing not to finish the sentence and instead groaned holding the back of his head. He glared at Luke an angry glint in his eyes.

"Sorry," Luke apologized he winced at the pain he had just caused his closeted boyfriend.

Mike pouted. "Damn you, I cant get angry when you look at me like your going to kiss me." He suggested, eyebrows raised.

"Oh is that right?" Luke shot back smiling. He placed his hand on Mike's cheek and kissed him passionetly. Mike had deduced that it wasn't a first time kiss that made him feel amazing, it was Luke who had that effect.

"Mm, stop, stop" Mike said giggling and pushed Luke off him. "Adam's waiting." He said. Mike walked off and stood at the end of the aisle waiting. "C'mon." he said smiling.

Luke's body warming with the smile that was only for him, and he started after Mike.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam gripped the counter, his breath coming in gasps. His gaze locked on the screen above, he had been waiting for a few minutes and to entertain himself he had started watching the security camera, catching something he hadn't expected to.

The first shot showed an elderly woman trying to choose between low fat yoghurt and the original type.

The next had a frazzled looking father with two toddlers holding onto the trolley.

Then there was Mike and Luke, Adam snickered as he watched Luke scare him into banging his head on the shelf. He almost turned away when he saw them; they had kissed.

He felt his stomach bottom out, the screen changed and he started to panic. "Hey go back to the other camera!" he shouted at the clerk. Strangely, he obeyed and the screen swapped back to them.

"What...." He whispered

Watching them still kiss. Finally, Mike broke off and started to walk away. Adam switched his gaze to the aisle where they would be appearing. And he saw them both come out smiling and joking.

He didn't want to confront Mike now, it wasn't in good taste. Then again, neither was what they did he thought to himself.

"Hey, sorry if you were waiting." Mike apologized. Adam just grunted in response.

He hoped that Mike could tell he was pissed. he started to assemble a speech to attack him with when they got alone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike shot Luke a concerned look, Adam seemed to be in a foul mood. Luke shrugged; he was just as confused as Mike. the paid for their groceries and headed back to the car.

"How about you guys be a little quicker next time." Murray suggested. Adam sidled into the front seat.

"Don't worry, there wont be a next time." He said dismissively. Murray sat back in his seat and started the car quickly looking into the rearview mirror to see Mike shake his head.

When they arrived home everyone was inside, most of them eyeing off the booze. "Yes you can start" Murray said laughing. Mike piled the groceries on the bench.

"Ok, everyone your stuff is up there. Three people in the kitchen at any one time. Cole, you and Adam are making desserts, so you guys can cook last." Cole nodded and Adam waved a hand in understanding as he picked up a beer.

Quinn took over the kitchen after that, she bustled around in the only apron that Mike's dad owned. She started Brooke on cooking her dish. "Erin, go help brooke." She ordered. Erin stared at Quinn and mouthed something at her. They argued for a second but Quinn had won as Erin shuffled to help Brooke.

"Thanks Ez." She said smiling gratefully. "Can you cut up the onion." She asked.

Murray came into the kitchen and pulled Luke and Mike aside. "Time for you two to try on your new clothes." He said smiling. "I put them in your room, so go get changed."

Luke bustled off to his room. With Mike trailing slowly behind. Murray shut the sliding door that separated the kitchen from the hallway that led to the boys rooms.

Luke shucked off his jumper and whipped the jacket on that Murray had bought him, he snuck into the bathroom past Murray who was waiting infront of Mikes room. shutting the door quickly when he heard Mike's door open.

"Luke's in their, use mine." Murray said. Mike smiled and sped into his dad's ensuite. He hadn't cared about his appearance for the night until he remembered this part.

He shaved the stubble that had only grown half a centermeter since he last shaved three weeks ago. And messed his hair, not much was able to be done for it.

"You ready Mikey?" Luke called from his bathroom.

"Yeah, what about you stud?" Mike joked.

On three. one, two, three." He called. They both rounded the corner of the hallway. Mike almost swooned when he saw him. the jacket had been pulled over an orange shirt with a graffiti pattern. And his favorite jeans.

Luke moaned in approval at the sight of Mike. his cordorouy jacket sat well and broadened his shoulders and with his cargo pants just made him all the more good-looking than he already was.

Mike made his way to Luke, dropping slight kisses all over his face.

"You look, hot." Mike laughed.

"Right back at you." Luke repeated what he had thought out loud.

"Ready?" Murray interrupted. They both nodded and separated themselves from eachother. Murray opened the door and everyone clapped.

"Nice!" Erin called.

Adam and Cole both wolfwhistled. Brooke and Quinn whooped over the noise.

"All right, everyone take a seat." Quinn called banging a pot. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to present, Brooke's tandoori chicken." She said lifting off the plate lid. "Mike's satay beef, my homemade pizza's and Luke's Mexican enchilada's" she finished revealing each dish slowly.

Everyone looked at eachother, Then at Quinn. She nodded approvingly.

"Go ahead."

Without any further hesitance, everyone started to eat. The only sound heard for the next twenty minutes was the cutlery clinking against the plates.

"Who's on dishes?" Mike asked.

Adam raised his hand. "Me and Cole will clean these dishes if someone else does ours" he suggested. Cole agreed and they both collected the dishes.

"We'll head outside" Luke said herding everyone out to the back porch where he had set up the outdoor table and chairs to sit in a circle. "Mikey, grab the remaining drinks in the box could you?"" he asked, his voice laced with a sweet tone, he looked around to make sure no one was watching, and winked at him.

"That's right, listen to your real boyfriend." Adam sneered silently.

Mike looked up from picking up the drinks. "Did you say something Adam?" he asked.

"Nope, nothing babe." He lied.

"Ok hurry up then" Mike said playfully. Adam laughed, his gut feeling sick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as it was just Adam and Cole, he rounded on Cole.

"If I ask you not to tell anyone the following conversation, will you?" Adam asked carefully.

Cole appraised him with suspicion. "I wont say anything if you don't want me to." He replied.

"Good, Luke and Mike kissed In the supermarket. And I don't think it was the first time that it's happened." Adam shared. Cole stared at him, his mouth agape.

"Are you kidding me!" he exclaimed.

Adam grimaced. "No I'm not, this is so stupid, I start to like a guy, even date him and they fall for someone else!" he growled gripping the sink; his knuckles whitening.

Cole placed a hand on Adam's "I'm sorry." He said.

"You know thats why I left my home." He blurted out. Cole reeled back. Adam folded his arms, sighed and continued. "I was dating this guy back home. His name was Nate. We had been dating for over eight months, he was amazing." He said, a faint smile playing on hs lips.

"Anyway, I left to visit my auntie. Your art teacher." He added. "I got back and had to find out from a bitch that I didn't even like that he had slept with three other guys. After that, I broke up with him, but he spread malicious rumours about me around school. After awhile I just left." He finished.

Cole sighed, reached up brushed away a tear sliding down his cheek.

Adam laughed bitterly. "Don't worry, I learnt from that, I deserve someone who will love me." He gazed out the back window, at Mike, he turned back to the sink and started washing the dishes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You love me!?" Brooke yelled, the effect of the alcohol increasing her volume.

Erin stood inches away from her, his face drained of all colour. He even started to shake despite the outdoor heater.

"Since when!" she demanded even louder. Erin cast an angry stare over at Quinn who moments ago had accidentally let it slip that Erin was in love with Brooke.

Mike had planted himself steadily behind Brooke, holding her back despite her very strong efforts to break free of him.

"Mike lemme go!" she shouted.

Erin had backed away into the wall when Adam and Cole appeared at the door. "Whats going on?" Adam asked carefully, his eyes moving quickly around the scene.

Quinn ran up the steps to the door and hid behind Cole. "I may or may not have said something about Erin loving Brooke." She answered smiling sheepishly. Cole groaned and Adam just watched on still confused.

"Why didn't you just tell me." Brooke asked, her shoulders slumping and her voice softer.

"Because I was afraid of this." Erin admitted.

"Mike let me go." She said calmly. He looked to Erin for help, he nodded and Mike released his hold on her slowly.

She moved gracefully towards him whilst everyone else watched in anticipation. She stopped infront of Erin her hands on both of his shoulders. The light from the heater reflecting off his glasses.

"Let's take it slow." She said shyly. It was the first time Mike had heard he say something without a trace of confidence.

She smiled wirh innocence and pecked him on the lips. It was gentle but it meant a lot.

"Uh, wow." Mike exclaimed.

Brooke giggled, Erin pulled out a chair and sat down, with Brooke sitting on his lap. Everyone but those two paused stunned.

"Are you guys gonna join us?" she asked. Everyone jolted back into life and each took a seat.

"Luke did yo want to sit with Mike?" Adam asked, his voice hinting the venom that he traced it with. Luke looked at him stupidly. Taking the seat that Adam had offered him.

"Uh, okay." He replied. "Thanks." Adam took the seat next to Cole and watched them both silently through the night.

"Whats wrong?" Mike mouthed at him. He just shook his head sternly.

 

Towards the end of the night the skies had fallen into a quiet slumber, their colour deepening to a rich navy. Pockets of clouds roamed the sky hiding the moon behind their gentle curves.

Everyone had atleast several drinks and was having a good time, even Adam had loosened up despite the memory of what had happened fresh in his mind.

Brooke had taken even stolen Erin's jacket and hid in its folds.

"Can we go to bed?" she moaned to Erin, he looked back at her shocked. Mike assumed that Erin hadn't anticipated that he would have some form of power or atleasat be able to sway Brookes judgment.

"Okay." He agreed, the two of them shuffled of into the loungeroom where a bunch of sleeping bags had been set up.

Quinn yawned loudly and scratched her eyes. "Yeah I think I'm off too." She muttered, staggering through the door.

"I'm going to sleep in the loungeroom. I want to make sure Cole will be ok." He said, indicating to the pile on the ground that had fallen moments ago. Now snoring like a gutted boar.

"Ok, that's fine." Mike replied.

Luke and Mike were the last ones left. They avoided each-others gaze only keeping it up for a few seconds.

"I missed you tonight." Luke admitted. Mike eyed him skeptically.

"You missed me?" he asked moving over to him.

"Yeah, I missed doing this whenever I want to." He said kissing Mike.

Mike pulled off his jacket, then threw off Lukes. They landed together on the table as the two of them held onto each other. Both of them wrestling for dominance. Luke started to struggle with Mike's pants buckle when it went wrong.

"Oh C'mon!" Adam yelled. He hadn't intended to, but it got him angry when someone lied so blatantly. Mike and Luke pushed away form each other. Luke shoving his hands in his pockets in an attempt to hide his fading excitement.

"Adam I'm sorry!" Mike blurted out running up the stairs.

"Don't bother, I saw what happened at the store, why are you lying to me. God, how stupid am I, thinking that my first day in this shit place and I find the perfect guy. Instead he turns out to be this lying ass!" he shouted, running his hands through his hair.

Luke stood by dumbfounded, out of everything going through his head the first thing was. I'm screwed, my life is screwed

"What's everyone yelling about?" Quinn murmured from behind Adam, standing with her was Cole, Erin and Brooke clinging to Erin's wasit.

Each of them shifting their gaze from, Luke to Mike and Adam.

"Allow me to enlighten you. Your two friends are lying assholes. I caught them for the second time, making out!" Adam growled angrily.

"What..." Brooke whispered. she never had thought about Luke and Mike doing anything like that. She looked Erin who looked just as confused as her. Cole on the other-hand seemed to know from the way he stood.

Mike watched as the realization hit each of his friends.

"I'm not staying here." Adam spat. Before anyone could stop him he had stormed out of the front door; Leaving behind an awkward silence that no one was willing to break.

"Um, maybe we should just talk about this tomorrow." Brooke suggested.

"No, we're talking about it now!" Cole demanded pulling out a chair, the drunken pass-out gone from his system.

Brooke groaned in disapproval, but complied, sitting on the table. Quinn crouched on the steps staring at Mike with perplexed eyes. Erin stood in the doorway, unable to bring himself to move.

"So, who wants to explain?" Quinn asked.

"We kissed this morning..." Mike said simply. Luke made no motion to protest. It really made no difference whether he denied it. They had heard it from Adam anyway.

"And I guess that I should also tell you that I'm gay, atleast I think I am." Luke added. "But I'm not ready to tell everyone."

"I didn't mean to hurt Adam, it just happened." Mike pleaded. he wanted his friends by his side.

Cole scoffed. "So what, it was an accident, and then you did it again, and again?" He asked vehemently.

"I cant make any excuse that would get me out of this. I just wish it hadn't happened the way it did." Mike admitted. "Still, I don't know why he is this upset, we weren't in a very serious relationship." He added as an afterthought.

"Oh don't be so self absorbed!" exclaimed Erin. "I think there's probably more to it than that, plus you did lie to him. some people take that as a bad thing" he said.

"I know, I'm not stupid." Mike stated.

"I'm going to catch up with Adam." Cole said. Just like Adam had left, he had packed his things up and had gone.

"You guys can go if you want." Mike said dismissively.

"Why would we leave, we're your friends. Even if you were the ones who did something wrong, we'll be here." Erin replied.

Mike smiled at them, he hoped they would stay with him and Luke.

"So you're gay?" Brooke asked Luke, he grimaced and nodded.

"Yeah, I guess I am. I think I've been lying to myself for awhile. And then this morning, well it kind of made it obvious." He joked.

"Ok, we're going to bed." Erin said grabbing Brooke by the shoulder. Before she left, she mouthed something at mike that he couldn't quite understand. It looked like.

"I have to talk to you."

"C'mon." Luke muttered gently pulling on Mike's hand, his fingers tracing the back of his hand smoothly sending shivers up his arm.

"Kay'." He followed Luke and started to go towards his room.

"Where are you going?" Luke asked. Mike stared back at him incredulously

"To sleep?" he asked, "Isn't that where everyone is going?"

Luke laughed. "No, I mean why are you going to sleep on your own?" he said stepping aside so Mike could walk into his room. Mike took the hint and followed him into the room, collapsing onto Luke's bed.

"It's ok, we can just sleep." Luke whispered into Mike's ear. His body wrapping around Mike enveloping him in warmth. Lukes' gentle breathing delivered Mike into unbreakable sleep.

Chapter End Notes:

Chapter 5, Ah Confrontation. don't i love it.

 

 

Read and Report :))

Copyright © 2011 Happiness is Key; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..