Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Ardor - 12. Chapter 12

Chapter 12

It was already dawning when my tears stopped flowing. I had kept asking myself what I had done wrong. Then I had felt angry because of Maraki’s refusal to see me, followed by sadness again. I just couldn’t hold a grudge against him.

I heard laughter and the clanking of tableware. Whether Maraki was with them? I pushed back the blanket, let my legs slide out of the bed and sat up taking my time. My head didn’t protest. Carefully, I tested whether my legs were willing to carry me. They were trembling, but not enough to discourage me. I made my first step, and only holding on to the bed stand stopped my fall. Some of the green medicine splashed out of the bowl; its acrid smell wrinkled my nose. Besides the bed, Feida had left a pair of white slippers which I put on. I declared the frame of the door to be my first destination. My feet scuffed their way over. It was the longest half-Step of my life. Clinging to the wooden frame, I peeked into the hall. It stretched down in one direction only. Feida placed a lot of value on a cozy home. The walls of the hall were decorated with embroidered tapestries, depicting various scenes of farm life. I presumed that she had made them herself and had quite a talent for it. With my hand on the wall, I shuffled on. Three more doors lead to rooms like mine, but at the end of the corridor was an opening on the right sight. The noises came from there and the flickering light of a fire shone through it. My legs grew accustomed to doing their job again. Still, it took me about an eternity to cover that small distance. The closer I came the stronger grew a delicious smell of bread and stew.

I looked around the corner and saw one of those rooms, half kitchen, half living room, which were so typical for the servants’ houses at Eleiya Spire. At the far left wall, a hearth had been stonewalled from brown mud bricks. Various shelves with cooking utilities and ingredients occupied every square-Jot around the oven. In a cauldron, a thick soup was bubbling. Opposite of the fire place, I made a strange discovery: a cupboard brimming with books. The farmers I had met couldn’t afford the luxury of learning to read and write. The middle of the room was filled out by a huge table. Four persons sat around it, but Maraki wasn’t among them and the tingling in my stomach changed into a feeling of graveness. Apart from Feida and Silya, a man in his thirties and a boy, only a little older than Silya, were praying. Their hands formed bowls before their hearts, and with eyes closed they had lowered their heads. The man was speaking with a pleasant baritone voice.

“…we ask you to smile upon our meal and to let your laughter be heard over our fields.”

He paused for a moment.

“We want to thank you for sending us Maraki and Elyran. Maraki’s commitment to help us is the visible proof of your beneficence. Watch especially over Elyran. Make him well again and bless him with happiness. ”

Warmth expelled the graveness and spread through every vein till I felt like glowing. This family had not only invited two strangers into their house, but they included us into their prayers. Outside of Eleiya Spire, I had never encountered so much goodness and I had stopped hoping to ever find it again.

“In the name of your love and fire.”

The three others answered with soft voices.

“Your love and fire.”

The man raised his head and grinned into the round.

“The last one is a Trork.”

He dug into his stew and shoved a large chunk of bread into his mouth. The children laughed and Feida scowled, but only for a moment.

“You already have the table manners of one, Greiff darling.”

He shrugged and grinned while chewing on.

“Elyran!”

Silya had discovered me. Three heads turned towards the door. The man, who was only a little taller than me, and Feida jumped up and hurried over, supporting me.

“I’ve told you to stay in bed!”

Feida looked worried.

“You can chastise him later, honeysuckle. Come and sit down with us.”

Greiff said, swallowing down. They helped me to sit down on the bench where the boy was sitting. Greiff took his seat again while Feida got another plate, filled it to the rim with stew and put it down before me. She also gave me a mug with a red drink in it. Only now did I realize how thirsty I was. I emptied the mug in one gulp and savored the fruity taste of its content.

“I would’ve brought you something to eat and drink later if you had been a little more patient.”

I looked into Feida’s face, and she was already smiling again while she refilled my mug. She couldn’t be angry with anyone.

“Thank you.”

My voice was humble.

“Before my wife accuses me of being a Trork again, I’m Greiff. This is my son Dunir. You already know my wife Feida and my daughter Silya. Welcome to our house which is yours as well.”

He extended his right hand. I shook it.

“I’m Elyran.”

I remembered something I had read in the books at Eleiya Spire about Keldral.

“Your hospitality is Keldral’s breath and your generosity his heartbeat.”

It was the traditional answer when invited into the home of one of his followers. Greiff had grinned all the time, but now it also reached his eyes. Those were grey and sparkled with life. He had brown hair, but not too much was left of it. Like Feida, his skin was marked by wind and weather. The glow of his knobbly nose emphasized his air of good mood.

“Not many people know this answer anymore.”

I grinned back at him and turned to Dunir who was sitting next to me.

“Nice to meet you, Dunir.”

I extended my hand. Like Silya was the spitting image of her mother, Dunir was a smaller copy of his father. The only difference was his dense shock of hair. The boy looked at my hand and then at his mother and his father. They both nodded at him. He then grasped my hand, shook it and a grin like his father’s formed on his lips. He enjoyed being treated like an adult.

“Now, let’s eat before it gets cold.”

Greiff hadn’t finished this sentence, before he had his mouth full again. Feida sighed. I began to eat as well. Where the first spoon reached my mouth in a civilized manner, the following ones rivaled Greiff’s speed and fervor. When I had finished my plate, Feida served up another helping without words but a telling look on her face.

“This is the best stew I ever had.”

She waved me off.

“Stop saying such things or I might believe them.”

Greiff chuckled.

“She’s always like that. Just don’t mind.”

“If you don’t want to sleep in the barn, you better behave.”

“Of course, honeysuckle.”

This banter was brimming with love and tenderness. My lips curved up. I just couldn’t help it.

After the meal, the entire family helped to clean the table and wash the dishes. Though I had protested, I had strict instructions to slack off. Since everyone was busy, I interested myself in the book shelf. I wouldn’t trust my legs to run away from a Nur’Zhul patrol, but they got me over to the small library without any incident. It was an impressive collection. A thin layer of dust covered all those volumes. They weren’t used all too often. Many of the manuscripts were also to be found in my uncle’s shelves, like the one book that had piqued my interest. It was ‘Gerfrain’s Encyclopedia of Flora and Fauna’. My uncle had told me that he owned one of only three copies in Telera. This wasn’t Telera, but I assumed that it wasn’t very common in the other kingdoms either. Finding it in a farmer’s house was a surprise to say the least.

“After my wife and my children, those are the most precious things I have.”

I hadn’t heard Greiff approach, but I felt so safe in his house that I didn’t even flinch.

“Yes, precious indeed. Some of those are real rarities: ‘Gerfrain’s Encyclopedia’ or ‘Sonokal’s Elegies’. Where did you get them from?”

Greiff didn’t answer and I turned around. For the first time, he wasn’t grinning, but shock furrowed his face.

“You… you can read?”

“Yes, I can, and I assumed that you…”

I gestured at the books. He bowed his head and closed his eyes.

“For ten generations, the members of the Carris family could read and write. The father taught his children. All these treasures have accumulated over the Orbits.”

He took a deep breath.

“Before my father could teach me, he, my mother and most of my relatives were killed by Nur’Zhul soldiers, because they refused to pay them tribute. I was raised by a distant cousin of my mother. A proud family tradition died with my father.”

“I can teach you.”

His head shot up and with wide eyes he stared at me.

“I cannot ask you to…”

“It’s the least I can do for your friendliness.”

His eyes watered.

“I’ve to take care of the fields, but would you teach Silya and Dunir? They can show me in the cold Tenths.”

I smiled.

“Of course.”

Before I could react, Greiff had me in a tight bear hug.

“Let go of him! You’re breaking all of his ribs.”

Feida had put her arms akimbo. He released me and his grin was back.

“Sorry.”

He turned to his family.

“Listen, children. Elyran will teach you how to read and write. Isn’t this wonderful?”

Feida’s reaction was similar to Greiff’s, but Silya jumped around like a wild rabbit, whooping at the top of her lungs. Yet, Dunir crossed his arms over his chest. On wobbly legs, I approached him.

“What is it?”

He glowered at me.

“I want to become a warrior. Warriors don’t read.”

“Dunir, don’t be rude to our guest.”

I raised my hand, appeasing Feida.

“Wait a moment.”

I walked back to the shelf and scanned the books. I picked up a weighty tome bound in brown leather. Flicking through the pages, I returned to Dunir.

“This is ‘On War’, a book written by the famous general Veraal of Telera.”

I had found one of the numerous depictions of battles in it and showed it Dunir.

“In this book, you’ll find everything one has to know about fighting. If you know all of this and understand it, you can become a general yourself.”

“Or even first Marshall of Nighholm.”

Greiff added.

So this was the Dukedom of Nighholm. Maraki and I had made it over the borders of the Nur’Zhul Empire then.

Dunir’s little hands took the book out of mine. His cheeks reddened with zest as he turned page after page.

“Can we start at once?”

He looked at me with glowing eyes. Feida laughed.

“You and Elyran can both need another night of sleep. Apropos, Dunir and Silya, time to get ready for bed.”

Before the two could protest, Feida continued.

“The earlier you go to bed, the earlier it is tomorrow.”

Neither of the children could counter her maternal logic. Silya came over to me, stretched out her arms and pursed her lips. I fought hard not to laugh out and, with some effort, knelt down. She hugged me and planted a wet kiss on my cheek.

“Good night, Elyran.”

“Good night, Silya.”

She ran off, waving at me. I waved back. Dunir had crossed his arms over his chest again.

“Good night. I won’t kiss you. Warriors don’t kiss.”

I hoped that at least one of them did. I hadn’t forgotten about Maraki. But spending time with the Carris family had given me strength. I could need it.

“Good night, Dunir.”

He nodded at me and followed his sister.

“Before you’ll send Elyran to bed too, I want to celebrate with him the rebirth of the Carris’ family tradition. You don’t mind, do you?”

“As if anyone listens to me in this house. But don’t keep him awake too long, Greiff, or you’ll end up in the barn after all.”

“Of course, honeysuckle.”

“I assume that you want to change your bandage yourself?”

Feida said with a smirk. I blushed, for I realized that she had done so for the last three Cycles. I looked at Greiff, but he didn’t show any sign of resentment. The trust between those two was strong indeed. I nodded.

“You best change it before you go to bed and after you awake.”

I nodded once more while the color of my face returned to normal again.

Feida said good-night before helping her children getting ready for the night. Greiff got a bottle with a clear liquid, two glasses, a pipe and two blankets. We left the house through the kitchen door and settled down on a bench outside. A large dog greeted Greiff and sniffed at my hand, before lying down to our feet. It was too dark already to see any details of the farm, but it was a clear night full of stars. A cold breeze swept over me, but the blanket kept me warm. Greiff poured two glasses from the bottle and handed me one.

“There is no doubt that Keldral has sent both of you. To Keldral!”

“To Keldral!”

I sipped at the drink and was shaken by a fit of coughing. Though I didn’t see him, I could hear Greiff’s grin in his voice.

“We make it ourselves. Another family tradition. It takes some time getting used to, but it’s good stuff.”

I downed the rest in one shot. Greiff chuckled.

“Way to go. I’d offer you another one, but if I make you drunk, Feida’ll deliver on her threat of sending me to the barn.”

Now, it was me who chuckled. My eyes began to adapt to the darkness. Greiff prepared the pipe by stuffing tobacco into it from a little pouch on his belt. He put it into his mouth and ignited it using two flint stones. My uncle had used magic to do so. Greiff’s way had more charm by far. He offered me the pipe, but I shook my head.

“No, thanks.”

“You’re right. It’s a bad habit, but on days like this… Keldral won’t mind.”

For some Parts, we only sat there while Greiff puffed his pipe, sighing in delight from time to time.

“You didn’t leave your bed to eat or see us, did you?”

I looked at him. He had fixed a point far away on the horizon and little curls of smoke rose into the night sky.

“I was hoping Maraki was with you.”

He made a noise of consent.

“I’ve talked to him when Feida had told me that you’re awake.”

He blew another ring of white smoke.

“He didn’t want to see me.”

Greiff turned to me.

“He loves you. That’s for sure.”

My eyes widened and I inhaled sharply. Greiff, as always, was grinning.

“I may be a farmer, but I’m no fool. Keldral teaches us that love knows no boundaries. Who am I to disagree with a god?”

He laughed about his own words.

“And you love him, too.”

“Yes.”

I answered though it hasn’t been a question.

“He’s in the tool shed, some two hundred Steps this way.”

He pointed to a dark outline against the sky.

“I’ll go inside and it’s not my fault if you’re gone when I return.”

He got up.

“Feida’ll kill me anyway.”

He snickered.

“Thank you.”

I whispered.

“Visit me when I’m in the barn.”

Chuckling, he disappeared into the house.

I rose from the bench. Even if it took the entire night for my legs to carry me there, I would keep going.

Copyright © 2012 Hasimir Fenrig; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sweet sweet chapter! wub.png I think Feida's threats to ban her husband to the barn are largely bravado on her part. Her husband's "submission" to her "power" seems enough to keep her happy.

Nice job on this chapter. The scene where Elyran offers to teach Greiff to read was most touching.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter...which is already posted, I might add. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment

I like the way you - intended to - postpone the meeting between Elyran and Maraki (of course it doesn't work when the reader reads ch 13 firstdry.png ). And in the meantime we get to know Feida and Greiff's family a little more. They are a lovely couple and a sweet family. The way Feida and her husband acts together is a delight to read about, it's easy to tell they truly care and respect one another, despite Feida's threat to ban Greiff to the barn. I doubt she will actually do it, for more than a very short time, and I doubt Greiff will intentionally do anything to upset his wife.

 

And Elyran is going to teach the children how to read and write - does it mean they will stay for some time at this farm? I also liked the way Elyran turned Dunir's uninterest for reading by appealing to his fascination for war/battle related things. It reminds me of another little boy I know.

Link to comment
On 03/12/2012 11:01 AM, Conner said:
Sweet sweet chapter! wub.png I think Feida's threats to ban her husband to the barn are largely bravado on her part. Her husband's "submission" to her "power" seems enough to keep her happy.

Nice job on this chapter. The scene where Elyran offers to teach Greiff to read was most touching.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter...which is already posted, I might add. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You and some other readers were waiting to see what would happen between Elyran and Maraki. Because I loathe waiting myself, I wanted to do something nice for you.

Still, I wanted to get this chapter out firat. It was most fun to write.

Link to comment
On 03/12/2012 06:51 PM, sorgbarn said:
I like the way you - intended to - postpone the meeting between Elyran and Maraki (of course it doesn't work when the reader reads ch 13 firstdry.png ). And in the meantime we get to know Feida and Greiff's family a little more. They are a lovely couple and a sweet family. The way Feida and her husband acts together is a delight to read about, it's easy to tell they truly care and respect one another, despite Feida's threat to ban Greiff to the barn. I doubt she will actually do it, for more than a very short time, and I doubt Greiff will intentionally do anything to upset his wife.

 

And Elyran is going to teach the children how to read and write - does it mean they will stay for some time at this farm? I also liked the way Elyran turned Dunir's uninterest for reading by appealing to his fascination for war/battle related things. It reminds me of another little boy I know.

And warriors do kiss... ^^

 

I'm experimenting with "retarding moments" (is that the English word... at least it's the German one ^^). I'm very impatient and it's normally hard. But this chapter was really a treat for myself.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..