Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Ardor - 14. Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Waking up in the morning was a treat if your first thought was the memory of being brought to bed by the one you loved. Maraki had carried me to my bed and had laid me down in his careful way. Not a full Fraction had passed before I had been yearning for the warmth of his body and the gentle rocking of his breathing. Kneeling down beside the bed, he had brushed my lips with his and had promised that we would ask Feida and Greiff about him moving into the house first in the morning. Despite, or because, of the many things that had happened, I had fallen asleep at once.

The sun was already shining into my room. They had let me sleep. It was clear that Feida had made them. My legs had forgiven me the abuse and didn’t object when I got up. I had completely forgotten about the bandage last night, but it was the first thing I took care of now. When the cloth, soaking with the green liquor, touched my skin, it burned and I hissed through my teeth. Being unconscious did have its advantages, but the pain changed into a dull throbbing, and soon I didn’t notice it anymore. After dressing, I was heading for the kitchen. The door knob was still in my hand when Silya’s head appeared, smiling around the corner of the opening.

“Good morning!”

Her voice was ringing with enthusiasm.

“Good morning!”

I beamed back at her. You couldn’t do anything else when looking into her merry face. She ran toward me and hugged me, resting her face on my stomach.

“I can’t wait till I can read all those books on the shelf.”

I patted her head.

“Then, we don’t have any time to waste, do we?”

She looked up at me, shook her head and giggled.

“But first, you’ll have breakfast.”

Feida’s voice came from the kitchen and her tone didn’t leave any space for negotiation. Silya and I both shrugged, laughing in silence.

As soon as I had entered the room, Feida began to issue her commands.

“Outside there is a little shack where you can wash. I put some fresh clothes for you there. They’re Greiff’s. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course not. I’m very grateful for all the things you’re doing for us.”

She wiped away my praise for her with a swift flick of her hand.

“Balderdash! I can’t let you run around here naked, can I? For breakfast, it’s eggs, bacon and porridge.”

I had to suppress another snort of laughter, but managed to keep my face straight.

“I’ll have the porridge then.”

She raised a brow.

“Those weren’t alternatives. You’re looking more than half-starved. No one shall say that Feida Carris doesn’t care for her guests.”

“Yes, my Lady.”

She threatened me with the spatula in her hand, but her eyes were smiling.

“Get out of here and don’t dawdle.”

I greeted Dunir, who was sitting at the table and eating some eggs. He was bearing his father’s grin about the scene his mother had made. I left through the kitchen door. The morning was chilly, but the rays of the sun on my skin promised a warm Cycle. The spicy smell of soil hung in the air. As far as I could see, fields stretched out. One half had already been plowed while the other half was as the cold Tenths had left it. Maraki was working on one of those fallow patches. He noticed me, waved and hurried over. One Step before me, he stopped and looked down at me with a dreamy expression on his face. He wasn’t wearing his harness and his torso was glistening with sweat.

“Good morning.”

I crooked my finger.

“You’re not shy, aren’t you?”

He looked around, smirked and bent down. I pulled Maraki’s head close intending to never let go of him again. A bell-like giggling made us break our kiss. Silya was standing just outside of the door. Maraki was terrified. I put my hand on his arm while I turned to her and put my finger before my lips. She nodded, imitated my gesture and ran back into the house, her pigtails flying in the wind.

“She won’t snitch on us.”

Maraki let go of his breath.

“Even if she did, it wouldn’t matter, because we want to talk to Feida and Greiff about us anyway.”

“Where is he?”

I hadn’t seen him on the fields.

“He wanted to fetch something from a store room. He made quite a secret about it.”

“Ok. Feida ordered me to wash and dress. Perhaps, he’ll be back by then.”

I put on an innocent face.

“I could need some help with scrubbing my back.”

Maraki’s features brimmed with slyness.

“I can remember what happened when you washed me the last time. Perhaps we should come back to this idea later…”

I laughed out.

“You’ve made a valid point.”

“But I’ll wait with you for Greiff. Now hurry. Upsetting Feida isn’t the best of ideas.”

We chuckled together.

The shack was small and made of wood. A wooden bowl with a jug standing by its side and a tiny table were the only things inside. Neatly folded clothes and a towel were enough to cover the table. I poured the ice-cold water into the jug and washed myself. My teeth were clattering and I was glad when I could put on the fresh clothes. Greiff and I had the same size, but he was a little stockier than me. Ever caring Feida had added a belt. I disposed of the used water and left the shack.

Maraki was sitting on the bench where Greiff and I had talked the last night. He had closed his eyes and enjoyed the sun shining down on him. Watching him like this, I realized how lucky I was. Not many people found a mate like him. He wasn’t only attractive but had the most decent of characters. And all I had to do was sitting in a prison and waiting for him to walk in. In this moment, the things that had had to happen until we had come to this point weren’t of any importance. It was only the present that mattered. I took seat beside him and cuddled against his chest. He laid his arm around me. I closed my eyes as well.

“Just in case you forgot: I love you, Maraki.”

He laughed. The booming sound shook his body.

“It may have taken a while to convince me, but this I’ll remember. When I’m close to you, your love surrounds and imbues me. With a reminder as strong as this, how can I forget?”

He kissed my hair.

“Just in case you didn’t know: I love you, Elyran.”

“My soul breathes it and my heart drinks it. With my life depending on your love, how can I not know?”

Greiff cleared his throat and both of us cringed. His trademark grin went from ear to ear.

“Your nocturnal talk seems to have been worth it.”

Neither of us answered him, because we were too baffled.

“If the words in the books are half as sweet as what I have heard here, I’ve got something to look forward to.”

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Maraki blushing. There was no reason to be ashamed, because every single word had been true, but I also felt my blood shooting to my face.

“Come inside, you two, and see what I’ve found after a Unit of searching.”

He raised his hands, which were holding a slim, rectangular parcel wrapped in a dirty rag. Greiff’s eyes were shining like a child’s. Glad that he had changed the topic, I got up from the bench. Maraki followed suit.

“Lead the way. Maraki and I wanted to talk to Feida and you anyway.”

Reaching for the door knob, Greiff winked at us.

“I’ve got a hunch what this will be about.”

I had intended to smile, but only one corner of my mouth rose. Maraki lowered his gaze in embarrassment.

“I’m just pulling your legs. Don’t take anything I say seriously. I don’t do myself.”

With a friendly sneer, he entered the house and waved us to follow. Maraki and I looked at each other and our tension discharged in a single snort of laughter.

I lead the way into the kitchen, Maraki just behind me. He had to bend down to fit through the door which had been built with humans in mind. The delicious smell of fried bacon and eggs awaited us inside.

“What took you so long, Ely… oh.”

Feida had been standing at the fireplace with her back to the door. Seeing Maraki and me in her kitchen was the last thing she had expected when turning around. Greiff enjoyed the spectacle leaning against the table where Dunir and Silya were seated facing the door. Silya sniggered and put a hand before her mouth. Her determination not to tell on us was commendable. Dunir had moved back a little and looked at Maraki with big eyes. I’d ask him about this later, for now I was in fear myself.

“Maraki and I wanted to ask you something.”

Though I had shirked from the question, I had made the first step.

“But you two…”

Feida’s gaze alternated between Maraki and me before it darted to Greiff. She scowled at him.

“You knew that, didn’t you?”

He raised his hands in a defensive gesture.

“Only for a Part. I swear.”

I had to help him.

“It’s the truth. I sneaked out at night to see Maraki. We… umm… clarified some things. Greiff only met us before the house.”

Her glare fixed me. It shot back at Greiff when he laughed out.

“Clarified some things…”

He had a fit of laughter and had to support himself on the table. The children followed this scene with much interest though they hadn’t a clue what the amusement of their father was about. In Feida’s eyes, anger changed to mirth. It was impossible not to be infected by Greiff’s laughing. He walked over to his wife, kissed her on the cheek and closed his arm around her. He wiped away the tears from his eyes with the back of his hand.

“You wanted to ask something.”

Another gurgle escaped his mouth, but he fought not to laugh again.

“We wanted to ask whether I can move into the house.”

It was Feida who answered.

“Of course, Maraki. But I fear we don’t have another room for you.”

Greiff pulled her closer. The strain of keeping himself in check made him tremble.

“Honeysuckle, I don’t think he minds sharing a room with Elyran.”

Greiff took a deep breath.

“The bed is sturdy enough to carry a human and an Ogrushkai.”

“Greiff darling, we can’t let them… oh!”

Understanding widened her eyes. I sought Maraki’s hand and grasped it. He gave my hand a light squeeze. Feida eyed us for some moments and her features acquired a delighted quality. Greiff was still struggling not to suffer another fit of laughter. Even Feida elbowing him when she realized that he had been aware of the true nature of our request while she hadn’t didn’t help much.

“Both of you are welcome in our house; that is, if you want to share it with a wisecracker like my beloved husband.”

Greiff planted another kiss on her cheek. Her smile betrayed that she wasn’t mad at him.

“Thank you. Both of you.”

Despite the light-hearted mood, I wanted to let them know how grateful we were. Feida opened her mouth to say something, but her eyes widened in terror.

“The bacon!”

She turned around and yanked the pan from the oven.

“That was close.”

The bacon was quite crispy, but I liked it that way.

“Excuse me for a moment.”

Greiff had already stormed out of the door before he had finished his sentence. From outside, we could hear him guffawing, cracking up everyone inside as well.

Our bellies were aching when Greiff came back into the kitchen. He was panting and his face was wet of tears.

“Sorry, but that was necessary.”

He dried his face with a towel Feida had handed him.

“Oh, I almost forgot about my surprise.”

He got the parcel from the table and beamed into the round.

“Those are in our family for a very long time. I feared we would never have a use for them again. That was before Keldral sent us Maraki and Elyran.”

He put the rectangular shape back on the table with a solemn expression.

“Open it, children.”

Dunir and Silya didn’t need another invitation and unwrapped the mysterious package before them. Inside were two slates, complete with pens and sponges. Dunir and Silya looked up at their father with questioning eyes. He grinned at them.

“Those are used to write on with the pens. Afterwards, you can clean them with the sponge. Now, you have something for practicing on what Elyran teaches you.”

With sparkling eyes, the children marveled at those wondrous tools. Silya took one of the pens and, most carefully, drew a small straight line on the slate before her.

“It works.”

She whispered. Greiff had moistened one of the sponges and handed it over to Dunir.

“Here, try.”

With as much care as his sister had drawn the line, he wiped it away, each swipe making him grin a little more. Silya clapped her hands.

I nestled up to Maraki. Seeing how much delight such a simple thing could give them was heart-warming. Maraki caressed my back. I looked up into his face which was a mirror for my affection.

“I’ll eat really fast, so that we can start right away.”

Two grateful pairs of eyes put a smile on my face.

Greiff and Maraki had returned to the fields. I had kept my promise and had gulped down my breakfast, earning me some reproachful looks from Feida. Only the fact that I had eaten everything she had heaped on my plate had saved me from worse. She was about to leave for the market.

Dunir, Silya and I were sitting at the table. I took one of the books in my hands, opened it and showed them.

“I can remember when my uncle began to teach me reading and writing. I was afraid, for it had to be incredibly difficult to learn.”

Both of them nodded.

“Look: a book is nothing more but a collection of words. A word is nothing more but a collection of letters. And there are only 31 letters. Raise your hands, please.”

I put down the book and stretched out my fingers like Dunir and Silya had done.

“There are only so many letters than all of our fingers...”

I winked.

“… and one toe together.”

They laughed.

“I was alone with my uncle, so we needed some more toes.”

We snickered.

“But this is easy, isn’t it? Just 31 letters and a little practice. Still afraid?”

They shook their heads.

“This Cycle, I want to show you how to write your names.”

Silya clapped her hands and Dunir’s face glowed.

“Then we’ll have a look at one letter each Cycle. That’s not much, isn’t it?”

Some more head-shaking.

“Let’s start.”

I wrote Silya’s name on one slate and Dunir’s on the other.

“Just watch how I draw each letter. It’s easier if you do the lines in the correct order.”

I wrote each name three times before Silya spoke up.

“Let me try. Please!”

“Ok. Here.”

I handed her the pen. Her face wrinkled and her tongue was poking out when she wrote her name for the first time. A little benevolent imagination was necessary to recognize the word, but she had drawn the strokes in the right order.

“Well done.”

She was frowning.

“It doesn’t look as good as yours.”

“I’m already writing for 15 Orbits and you for 15 Parts. Just a little more practice and you can do it better than me.”

Her mood had lifted up.

“Ok.”

She was already trying again.

“Want to try it too?”

Dunir nodded and grabbed the other pen. His first attempt was already very good. He had a very keen eye for details. He grinned at me when he was done, reminding me of his father. I tousled his hair.

For another Unit, both of them wrote their names over and over again. If they kept learning at that rate, it was only a matter of a Tenth before they were reading their first book.

“Enough for one Cycle. Don’t forget what you’ve learned till tomorrow!”

Disappointment crept into their features.

“Can we learn a little more, please?”

Silya’s eyes were begging me.

“Rest is as important as work. We’ll learn a little longer each Cycle, ok?”

“Ok.”

They answered in unison. Silya got up from the bench and hurried over to the book shelf.

“My name starts with this letter.”

She pointed at the title of a book and she was right.

“This is the last letter.”

She pointed at another tome. I couldn’t help but smile at her verve. She continued until she had found all the letters of her name on the books. She ran back to the table and looked at me with a serious expression on her little face.

“Elyran, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Are Maraki and you husband and wife?”

Dunir snorted.

“You silly thing. They are husband and husband.”

I suppressed a chuckle.

“Don’t call your sister silly, Dunir. And you’re both wrong. Maraki and I are not married.”

I winked at Silya.

“Not yet.”

She giggled.

“It’s such nice weather. Don’t you want to play outside?”

Hollering, Silya was already on her way out, but stopped at the door and turned around.

“Thank you for the letters!”

She had a soul-melting smile for me before she left for good.

“What about you?”

Dunir’s gaze wandered to the ground.

“I don’t want to play outside.”

I went around the table and knelt down beside him.

“What is it?”

He crossed his arms over his chest, but didn’t say a word.

“Is it because of Maraki?”

He fixed me with eyes wide of surprise.

“How do you know?”

He whispered.

“I’ve seen the way you’re looking at him.”

His head sank down.

“I’m a coward. I will never be a warrior.”

I put my hand on his shoulder.

“General Veraal says that fear is a warrior’s best defense. You should never discount its counsel.”

I raised his chin.

“I know how intimidating Maraki is. I’ll tell you a secret: when I met him the first time, I almost wetted myself.”

Dunir chuckled.

“Like a baby!”

I chuckled with him.

“Yes, like a baby. But then I came to know him better. I can promise you this: you have nothing to fear from him. General Veraal also says that a true warrior fears but knows when to be brave.”

He was torn, but I had one last incentive.

“Maraki is a warrior. I bet he can show you some tricks.”

Dunir’s eyes flashed up.

“Just ask him.”

I gestured towards the door. He jumped up, nodded at me and hurried out. I followed him and leant against the door frame to watch. Dunir slowed down the closer he came to Maraki. He looked back and I waved him to go on. When Dunir was some two Steps away, Maraki turned around. I couldn’t discern their faces from this distance, but Maraki knelt down before him, still towering well above the boy. After some time, Maraki nodded his head and extended his hand. Dunir and he grabbed each other’s wrist and shook hands in the Ogrushkai way. Dunir’s laughter sounded over the fields. I rested my head against the door frame and smiled. My green giant had made this little boy happy, and once more I knew why I loved him.

Copyright © 2012 Hasimir Fenrig; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A very, very touching chapter, I live how the family accepted them as a couple with no problems, and I am also happy that their relationship is stable. :) Eleryn teaching the kids was very kind and you have just got to love Maraki because of his "gentle giant" ways. As always, I can't wait for more, please update soon!! :D

Link to comment
On 03/19/2012 08:17 AM, MuddyRiverGirl said:
A very, very touching chapter, I live how the family accepted them as a couple with no problems, and I am also happy that their relationship is stable. :) Eleryn teaching the kids was very kind and you have just got to love Maraki because of his "gentle giant" ways. As always, I can't wait for more, please update soon!! :D
I got a little "carried away" with telling details... but I'm glad you liked it anyway. ^^

There are still exams on my desk, but I hope to get another chapter together soon.

 

Thanks for reviewing!

Link to comment

Keep sane Hasimir! We don't want you to burn out. It's happened to me twice with writing already.

 

I'm really falling in love with the family. Hopefully everything turns out alright with them. *hint hint*. Thanks for the chapter!

Link to comment
On 03/19/2012 08:26 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
Keep sane Hasimir! We don't want you to burn out. It's happened to me twice with writing already.

 

I'm really falling in love with the family. Hopefully everything turns out alright with them. *hint hint*. Thanks for the chapter!

I'm a mathematician. All hopes for sanity died a long time ago. :-)

 

I love the Carris family as well... *hinting back* *hinting back* ^^

 

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Link to comment

This time I made sure it was the right chapter before I began reading. biggrin.png

 

Now, I like slow paced stories in general (as long as it's getting there, and I trust you to make sure it does), and I like your attention to detail in particular. In this chapter Elyran and Maraki revealing their relationship to their hosts and Elyran teaching the children to read, although in this chapter they were taught how to write.

 

The overall calm and love in this chapter also has me wondering/worrying about a few things: How did Elyran and Maraki end up at this farm in this land? I believe Maraki has promised to tell Elyran about it, hasn't he? Wouldn't Feida and Greiff be afraid of an Ogrushkai (sorry if the spelling is wrong) warrior, or did he already know them somehow? And how long will they be able to stay undetected here?

Link to comment
On 03/19/2012 08:40 AM, sorgbarn said:
This time I made sure it was the right chapter before I began reading. biggrin.png

 

Now, I like slow paced stories in general (as long as it's getting there, and I trust you to make sure it does), and I like your attention to detail in particular. In this chapter Elyran and Maraki revealing their relationship to their hosts and Elyran teaching the children to read, although in this chapter they were taught how to write.

 

The overall calm and love in this chapter also has me wondering/worrying about a few things: How did Elyran and Maraki end up at this farm in this land? I believe Maraki has promised to tell Elyran about it, hasn't he? Wouldn't Feida and Greiff be afraid of an Ogrushkai (sorry if the spelling is wrong) warrior, or did he already know them somehow? And how long will they be able to stay undetected here?

I really got a little carried away... ^^

But I promise that it'll get there and that your questions will be answered. :-)

 

Thanks for your comment!

Link to comment
On 03/19/2012 09:51 AM, Conner said:
Calm before the storm??? Nice chapter, I enjoyed it. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
I was a little worried whether this chapter was too calm.

But for a fantasy stroy it's important to bring a little "color" to the world, isn't it? (

Link to comment

I did not find there to be too many details: even the best warrior needs to pause occasionally to breathe and assess her/his environment. The opportunity to see Elyran and Maraki's relationship stabilize and grow to include this wonderful host family was heartwarming. One does worry about what the Mogul Emperor and the rest of his bad guys might do to them to manipulate Elyran, but I was certainly glad to let that worry rest for a chapter. I also wonder how Maraki and Elyran will learn to manage their physical relationship once Elyran has recovered. Thanks, Hasimir!

Link to comment
On 03/19/2012 07:31 PM, hillj69 said:
I did not find there to be too many details: even the best warrior needs to pause occasionally to breathe and assess her/his environment. The opportunity to see Elyran and Maraki's relationship stabilize and grow to include this wonderful host family was heartwarming. One does worry about what the Mogul Emperor and the rest of his bad guys might do to them to manipulate Elyran, but I was certainly glad to let that worry rest for a chapter. I also wonder how Maraki and Elyran will learn to manage their physical relationship once Elyran has recovered. Thanks, Hasimir!
Thank you for easing my worries a little more. ^^

 

I don't want to rush the plot, but don't want to drag it out either. I hope to find a good balance.

 

Thnaks fpr sharing your opinion!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..