Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Ardor - 16. Chapter 16

Chapter 16

“An… Or..bit… Orbit… consists of ten Tenths and fifteen Cy..cles that do not belong to any Tenth. Those are called the ‘Cycles of Rest’. A Tenth consists of thirty Cycles. A Cycle consists of twenty-five Units. A Unit consists of fifty Parts. A Part consists of fifty Fractions.”

It was amazing. Silya and Dunir had gobbled up the knowledge I had offered them. In less than a Tenth, they had learned all the letters and could read at much more than an elementary level. It only took a little more training till they would be carried away by Sonokal’s Elegies; or to the battlefield by General Veraal.

“Why is it called ‘Orbit’?”

Silya’s curiosity was hard to quench, and more often than not she had pushed me to the boundaries of my knowledge.

“The world of Tenegra circles around the sun in… well… a circle. ‘Orbit’ is just another word for circle. When we say ‘Orbit’, we mean the time it takes our world to go round the sun once.”

“How do we know? Who found that out? I don’t feel like moving around.”

“A long time ago, many wizards met and combined their powers to take a look at our world. Till then, people thought that Tenegra was flat and that it was at the center of everything. But the wizards’ minds were able to rise high above our world and they saw that it was a ball. They even travelled to the sun and it turned out that it was a giant furnace, much larger than Tenegra. All the other planets move around the sun like our world does. But the stars they couldn’t reach, for they are too far away.”

The legendary Great Convention and its findings, one of the first things my uncle had taught me about the arcane science, had piqued my interest in magic. As a child, I had dreamed to be the first sorcerer who’d travel to the stars. It had a similar effect on the two Carris children, for Silya and Dunir looked at me with great eyes. Silya giggled.

“Until this Cycle, I thought that our world is flat.”

“You silly thing!”

“As if you knew that it is a ball.”

She poked out her tongue at Dunir while he crossed his arms over his chest and glowered at her.

“Don’t quarrel, you two. I never had a sister or a brother. But often I have wished that there was someone who would take care of me.”

Both looked at me with crestfallen eyes. Silya recovered first, and a smile raised the corners of her mouth.

“You have Maraki. He’ll take care of you.”

Her good mood was contagious and she was right.

“I think he’ll do.”

I winked at her. She tittered in her clear voice.

The kitchen door flew open and Feida stood in it, panic in her face. She was panting and drenched in sweat.

“Nur’Zhul soldiers… coming this way…”

I jumped up from my chair. It toppled backwards.

“Follow me… all…”

She was already gone. Outside, Greiff and Maraki had just hurried over from the fields. Maraki’s features mirrored my own terror while Greiff’s demeanor showed composure.

“Don’t worry! That happens quite often. Normally, they come after the harvest, but when they are bored…”

I couldn’t lie to him.

“They’re here because of us.”

He faced me and nodded once.

“I know. But now: hurry!”

He gestured towards the little washing shed where Feida was waiting for us.

Inside the small shack, Greiff moved the bowl to the side and swept away the earth beneath it, revealing a trap door. He pulled at it, but it didn’t budge.

“Let me try!”

Greiff made place for Maraki. He grasped the metal ring and with a swift jolt the door opened.

“Children, Elyran, Maraki… down there!”

The opening wasn’t very large and Maraki had some difficulties to squeeze himself in. I followed after him. We helped Silya and Dunir into the secret chamber. The only light came through the trapdoor. A small tunnel extended into the direction of the house, but its end was swallowed by darkness.

“Follow the tunnel. There is a room directly beneath our kitchen. You’ll find a rock to put before the opening inside. It perfectly fits the hole to fool the Nur’Zhul if they discover the trapdoor. Don’t stumble over the sacks in the passageway. They are for making this tunnel seem like a secret storage. Go!”

Greiff’s voice sounded muffled though the entrance was still open. Maraki, crouched down, led the way into the blackness, the children followed and I formed the rear. With my hand on the wall, I made step after step. My foot hit something; most probably one of those sacks Greiff had talked about. Suddenly, my fingers lost contact with the hard-packed earth of the passage. I had to be inside the room.

“Maraki?”

“Over here.”

His hushed voice came from the left. I moved over until my hands had found his rough skin.

“Stay clear of the opening.”

My fingers never lost touch with Maraki as he pushed over the boulder. The grinding of stone on earth echoed through the small chamber. It had been pitch black in here before, but the knowledge that the opening was sealed made it appear even darker. A thud followed by a scratching noise told us that Greiff had closed and camouflaged the entrance as well. The faint weeping of a child filled the room.

“Come here, Silya, Dunir. Follow my voice.”

Small fingers touched my face and I placed the little body in my lap. I fumbled for the hair; it was Dunir. I caressed his cheek and wiped away the tears. Given the movement next to me, Silya had found Maraki and settled down on him like her brother had on me.

“It’s alright. The Nur’Zhul won’t find us in here.”

With my free hand, I sought Maraki’s and grasped it tightly when I had found it. He squeezed it back. I heard steps above us. Feida and Greiff had returned to the kitchen.

A Part later, Rumish was barking outside, announcing the arrival of strangers. The sound of many more feet roared through our hideout. The Nur’Zhul were searching the house and did so ruthlessly, for crashing noises were heard time and again. Each one made Dunir flinch. I pressed him against me, for soothing him as well as soothing me. Though their words were muted, one could understand what Greiff and a Nur’Zhul said to each other.

“What’s an Orgishkei?”

“It’s Ogrushkai, you imbecile. Large, green and ugly as the butt of a Teleran hoe.”

The Nur’Zhul accent was thick in this voice; even more so than in the voice of the Nuzr. Greiff laughed.

“I’d remember if I had seen one.”

At an even lower volume, he added:

“Though your description reminds me of my mother-in-law.”

It was the Nur’Zhul who laughed out now. Another voice spoke in Nur’Zhul; a soldier reporting to the commander, I presumed.

“Remember, farmer. Fifty thousand Nur’Zhul Dreks for the human. Nothing for the Ogrushkai.”

Greiff whistled.

“Fifty thousand? I’ll keep my eyes open. Definitely.”

The leader issued some commands in Nur’Zhul and steps moved away. They were gone. I let go of my breath which I had held without noticing.

Greiff waited for another half-Unit before he dared to get us out of the secret room. We had kept silent, just in case. The light hurt my eyes when we left the shed, but the sight of the kitchen hurt even more. The Nur’Zhul had turned it upside down. The floor was covered with cookware, food and books. As far as I could see, none of the tomes had been damaged. Every piece of furniture had been knocked over.

“I’m sorry.”

My voice was breaking.

“It happens two, sometimes three times an Orbit. You get used to it.”

Greiff’s voice didn’t show any trace of resentment.

“But Nighholm is part of the Alliance. How can Nur’Zhul soldiers trespass here without causing war?”

He laughed a bitter laugh.

“This is a country of farmers, but our soil is just good enough to keep us alive. Barely. Except bordering on the Empire, Nighholm has no value whatsoever for the Alliance. Our Duke is a good ruler, but militias made up of peasants like me isn’t nearly enough to defend a border from the Nur’Zhul.”

He paused.

“No more politics. Let’s get rid of this mess.”

He rolled up his sleeves.

It took us two Units and every trace of the havoc the Nur’Zhul had caused had been removed. Maraki had put all the pieces of furniture back into place while the rest of us had collected and sorted all the other things.

Feida was scrubbing the floor.

“I don’t want this Nur’Zhul filth anywhere in my house.”

She declared every time someone walked through the kitchen. Greiff and the children were outside to dispose of the broken things. I signaled Maraki to follow me into our room. I closed the door and slung my arms around him, burying my face in his stomach. He returned my embrace.

“We can’t stay here.”

I whispered into his abs.

“The same thought has occurred to me.”

“We have to get rid of the trinket, one and for all.”

He pulled me closer.

“Yes. What do you have in mind?”

“We have to give it to someone who can contain its magic and keep it hidden from the Nur’Zhul.”

“Your uncle?”

I shook my head, unable to speak. I couldn’t return to Eleiya Spire, I couldn’t. Maraki let go of me and knelt down so that our faces were on level. With a gentle gleam in them, his eyes fixed on mine. It felt as if he was looking into my soul. Understanding deepened his kindness. I nestled my cheek against his and he closed his arms around me.

“My ur’jai? I’m not sure whether she can help us with this kind of magic, but in the Ogrushkai Union the trinket would be safe at least.”

“Thank you.”

Not exactly an answer to his question, but he petted my back to show me he had got the gist. I moved my head back and pecked him on the lips.

“Let’s tell them.”

“Of course.”

We returned to the kitchen. Greiff, Silya and Dunir were sitting at the table while Feida was pouring away the cleaning water. When Greiff saw our faces, he began to grin.

“Stop fretting about the Nur’Zhul. As I’ve told you: raids like this are daily fare here.”

I sought Maraki’s hand.

“But they were here for us... me. I heard how they reminded you of the reward.”

His grin was gone with a vengeance.

“They could offer me all the money in their Empire. Enemies of the Nur’Zhul are my friends and welcome guests in this house.”

Feida put her hands on the shoulders of her husband.

“He’s right. We don’t want to know why the Nur’Zhul are after you. It’s enough to know that they are after you.”

I wasn’t surprised at all. I knew them one Tenth only and loved them more than my own kin.

“We’re grateful for what you’ve done and for what you are offering to do. But I’ve already made so many mistakes, and I don’t want to add risking the lives of the noblest family on Tenegra to this list.”

Greiff shook his head.

“I won’t let you leave. How can I let you run into the arms of the Nur’Zhul?”

“Who’ll teach us to read?”

Silya came to her father’s aid.

“Who’ll teach me to fight?”

Dunir chimed in.

I looked at the little girl whose eyes were glistening with tears.

“You already can read, Silya. Just promise me to look into the books for at least a Unit every Cycle.”

Maraki addressed Dunir who had crossed his arms over the chest again.

“You already have the heart of a warrior, Dunir. That’s something no one can teach you.”

Feida spoke up.

“Wait at least till it gets dark.”

“But, honeysuckle, we…”

She massaged Greiff’s shoulders.

“They are decided, Greiff darling. And, I know, it wasn’t an easy decision. If you’re not listening to me, listen to Keldral: ‘Offer the warmth of my hearth to the ones who need it, but do not try to tame the fire in their hearts.’”

He put his hands on hers.

“You’re right.”

He looked up at us.

“If the fire in your hearts commands you to leave, I mustn’t hold you back. But you’ll always be welcome here. In the name of his love and fire.”

“His love and fire.”

Feida, Silya and Dunir affirmed. Maraki embraced me with his free arm. I had been close to tears, but his touch gave me enough solace to muster a smile.

Maraki and I didn’t own any things worth packing except the cloak from the Nur’Zhul prison. He had kept it after our flight and it was soaking with memories and emotions. Maraki was wearing his leather armor and I had dressed in my own clothes, lovingly repaired and cleaned by Feida. They looked better than ever. We had taken care of Maraki’s Ardor, had gone through the motions, but neither one of us had been in the mood for more. The Carris family had insisted on a last meal together. Feida had prepared a roast and more side dishes than even Maraki could eat. At the close of this feast, she served a dessert made of cream, eggs and an herb she refused to reveal.

“This dish is reserved for High Cycles only. So, it’s barely enough for this one.”

In the beginning, we had chatted merrily, but the closer our departure came the more tongue-tied everyone became. It was Greiff who spoke up after a longer silence.

“Keldral has blessed us with your presence. Following an old, almost forgotten tradition, we have to honor him by giving you parting gifts.”

He had made this up. Not even Keldral expected his followers to take care of guests and to give them presents. When he saw my face, he began to grin.

“Some things are not written in books, Elyran.”

I grinned back at him. Greiff nodded at Dunir and Silya who jumped off their seats and got two large bags made of fur. Both of them had to struggle to carry those holdalls.

“Every member of this family wanted to give you something.”

Greiff looked at Feida.

“Shortly after your arrival, I’ve begun to make clothes for you. I finished them some Cycles ago, and they should be a surprise for you.”

She laughed and eyed Maraki.

“I hope they have the right size. It was difficult enough to find bales of linen that large.”

We all laughed out.

“I’m next.”

Silya opened one of the bags and produced some pages of aged paper with her handwriting on them.

“I’ve found the paper and the pen in the storage room. Dida said that his father bought them a long time ago.”

Her face shone with joy.

“I’ve written all our names on them so that you can never forget us.”

As if I could ever forget a single one of them. But her eyes were so full of solemnity that I bowed my head in a courteous gesture of gratitude. She giggled.

“I’ve carved something for you.”

Dunir reached into the bag and got two figures out. They portrayed Maraki and me.

“I had started some time ago, but had to finish them this afternoon. They could be better.”

He looked at them with a critical eye.

“No, they couldn’t, because they’re perfect.”

Maraki put his hand on the boy’s shoulder and Dunir almost burst of pride.

“Elyran is for you and Maraki is for Elyran. You will never be separated again.”

There was more heart in the little warrior than he wanted to admit at times.

“You’ll find food for several Cycles inside. That’s my gift. And this.”

He put a little pouch in my hand, before I could say something. I opened it and found 50 Alliance Guilders inside. That had to be their income of a half-Orbit.

“We cannot accept this.”

I held the pouch before him, but he put his arms behind his back.

“Without Maraki’s help, we wouldn’t have known how to survive this Orbit. Without your help, no Carris would have made use of these treasures again.”

He pointed at the books.

“It’s not nearly enough for what both of you have done for us.”

It had been hard to hold back when each of their gifts had shown deepest affection. But this had been too much for me. I flung my arms around Greiff’s neck and pulled him as close as I could. Our tears mingled before they dripped down our faces. Feida was the first to join our embrace, Silya and Dunir followed short after. Maraki closed his huge arms around all of us. Happiness, sadness and thousand emotions more mixed up into one powerful feeling of unity, streaming through me down to my core.

Maraki and I had thanked and hugged each of them before we parted. Now, the lights of the Carris house were almost too far away to be seen. I looked up at Maraki. His tears flowed freely as did mine.

***

Councilor Ramesh, kneeling on the ritual carpet, opened his mind for the overwhelming presence of his master. He had searched this region for the better part of a full Tenth for the trinket, but to no avail. Even it if was hidden in an anti-magical container, he would have felt it. In this vicinity, the disturbances caused by such a ‘hole’ in the fabric of the craft couldn’t go unnoticed.

“The pleasure in the song of your mind... does it speak of success? Do not withhold from us.”

The shape of the Mogul Emperor was irregular and flickered. It was by the will of Nanesh Ral alone that they could communicate over this distance.

“Yes, my liege. As your humble servant, I’m delighted to see that you considered my plan to be worthy of your attention.”

The Councilor creased his forehead as a wave of anger flowed over him.

“Do not bother us with unnecessary pleasantries. Are the Taker and the Tormentor free to roam again?”

Ramesh swallowed hard.

“Excuse me, my liege. Yes, the thief Elyran and the Ogrushkai Maraki have left the homestead after it had been raided by our troops. The plan has worked. They are heading east as we speak.”

“We sense the movement of the Tormentor. His melody is shifting; his tune is changing. But we have learned to expect the unexpected when it comes to the Taker. There is no doubt they have left the Sanctuary?”

“No, my liege. They are equipped for a prolonged journey.”

Ripples of contentment stirred the Councilors mind.

“We are taking delight in your progress. You and my faithful warriors, merge into their shadows and let your songs be unheard. Do not hinder their path and do not change its course.”

“Yes, my liege. Shall the farmers be killed?”

For a short moment, Ramesh felt indecision. Never had the Mogul Emperor faltered before. It was daunting, for the situation was direr than the Councilor had thought if it influenced his master to this extent.

“No, their songs must not end. Their silence would bring disharmony to the theme of the Taker and his destination would be at stake. We cannot risk this.”

“Yes, my liege.”

“Our trust rests in you. Do not disappoint us.”

The Emperor had broken the link before Councilor Ramesh had been able to answer.

Disappointing his master wasn’t an option.

Copyright © 2012 Hasimir Fenrig; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm sad to see the Carris family go, but I'm really happy that the Emperor decided to let them live. Looking forward to the next chapter!

Link to comment
On 03/26/2012 07:30 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
I'm sad to see the Carris family go, but I'm really happy that the Emperor decided to let them live. Looking forward to the next chapter!
All good things come to an end...

Before Mrs. Furtado sues me, I just jot a quick thank you! ;-)

Link to comment

Wow, 2 chapters for the weekend: what a treat! It is sad to see them leave so soon -- although I do hope we meet this lovely family again -- but I am glad that the children learned the basics of reading and writing. Interesting also to learn the meaning of the time units in your world. I look forward to meeting Maraki's family!

Link to comment
On 03/26/2012 08:58 PM, hillj69 said:
Wow, 2 chapters for the weekend: what a treat! It is sad to see them leave so soon -- although I do hope we meet this lovely family again -- but I am glad that the children learned the basics of reading and writing. Interesting also to learn the meaning of the time units in your world. I look forward to meeting Maraki's family!
I really looked forward for this weekend and did nothing but writing. It was wonderful! ^^

 

I loved writing about the Carris family, but I think it was time for Elyran and Maraki to go on. There will be many more interesting characters on their journey... and one or two, perhaps even three secrets to be revealed... :-)

 

Thank you for commenting!

Link to comment

When I read this chapter last night, close to midnight, I didn't have the time to comment. Actually i didn't expect another chapter so soon after ch. 15 - a pleasant surprise! (I have to stop reading way past bedtime, when the next day is a working-day.)

 

This is another great chapter. I liked how you increased the suspense yet a few notches in this chapter. The visit from the Nur'Zhul soldiers, the hiding in the secret room underground and then the decision to move on with their journey all helped with this, but of course it is all a cunning plan of the Mogul Emperor - I wonder how long it will take Elyran to suspect they are just being played with? In my opinion, the longer it takes the better.

 

However nice the Carris family is (and I'm so relieved to see they will live, I would feel so bad about the children if something happened to them, or their parents), I'm now looking forward to new places, and new people/creatures. Are they going to Maraki's land? If so, that would be nice to see/experience for Elyran as well as for the reader(me).

Link to comment
On 03/27/2012 03:24 AM, sorgbarn said:
When I read this chapter last night, close to midnight, I didn't have the time to comment. Actually i didn't expect another chapter so soon after ch. 15 - a pleasant surprise! (I have to stop reading way past bedtime, when the next day is a working-day.)

 

This is another great chapter. I liked how you increased the suspense yet a few notches in this chapter. The visit from the Nur'Zhul soldiers, the hiding in the secret room underground and then the decision to move on with their journey all helped with this, but of course it is all a cunning plan of the Mogul Emperor - I wonder how long it will take Elyran to suspect they are just being played with? In my opinion, the longer it takes the better.

 

However nice the Carris family is (and I'm so relieved to see they will live, I would feel so bad about the children if something happened to them, or their parents), I'm now looking forward to new places, and new people/creatures. Are they going to Maraki's land? If so, that would be nice to see/experience for Elyran as well as for the reader(me).

Thank you once more!

 

Yes, Maraki and Elyran are heading for the Ogrushkai Union. It may sound weird, but I'm also looking forward for what will happen there. ^^

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..