Jump to content
    *HJ*
  • Author
  • 1,675 Words
  • 3,365 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Always - 3. Persistence and Background Info

When Drew entered the history room, he saw the one desk open in the back beside Luke. He smiled and handed the enrollment form to the blonde, middle-aged women standing at the board. She nodded and then continued with what she was doing.

Drew took his seat beside Luke. Luke, who was pretending as if he hadn’t noticed Drew’s presence, was sketching the surrounding landscape outside. All the while his eyes were filled with anguish.

“You’re a good artist. Are you in the art program here?” Drew asked as friendly as possible.

“I was,” Luke said in an angry tone.

“What happened?”

“What do you think happened? They politely asked me to withdraw.”

“Oh, can they do that?”

“If I’m a danger to the other students they can.”

“Were you a danger?”

Luke let out a quiet sigh, “Does it really matter?”

“I guess not.” Drew’s tone was relaxed.

“Please, just avoid me like everyone else. Things will be a lot less complicated for you if you do.”

“Why would not avoiding you make things complicated for me?”

Luke put down his pencil and looked at Drew with a warning clear in his caramel eyes.

"There are a lot of people who dislike me and anyone close to me.”

"So I’ve heard. Honestly, I think I can handle this David guy and his friends. Besides, you’re the only one in this place that doesn't make me uncomfortable.”

"Did someone drop a book on your head? I, of all people, am the one who doesn’t make you feel uncomfortable?”

"Yeah, so naturally I want to be friends with you.”

"Sorry, but I can’t let us be friends.”

Drew smiled, “You say that now.”

Luke huffed and returned to his drawing.

As History dragged on Luke kept drawing and ignoring Drew’s attempts at conversation. Toward the end of class Drew found himself desperately trying to stay awake during the teacher’s lecture about Roman history. He had already covered Roman history in his last school and he had no desire to listen about it all again.

Near the end his eyes shut and he was out like a light. He would have stayed that way if Jeff hadn’t woken him up. When Jeff’s violent shaking of his shoulder registered, Drew jumped up in alarm.

"What? I’m awake,” Drew said startled.

"Yeah, you are now. You slept through the end of class. Ms. Jacobs was pissed,” Jeff laughed as they left the history room and headed toward the gym.

"Well, it isn’t like I missed anything I didn’t already know.”

Jeff shrugged, “Well, I don’t know what you said to Luke, but he flew out of here like a bat out of hell.”

"Just part of my strategy; he will come around.”

"Whatever you say, but if you’re wondering, he has P.E next. Don’t expect to see him there though, he usually ditches. He goes to the art room instead.”

"Doesn't he get in trouble?”

"Nope, the teachers prefer it that way. They don’t like him interacting with the other students; the bastards. Mr. Button, the coach, writes him down as present, and since the art room is empty that period, they are perfectly content.”

"Is everyone here except you and Rose like this?” Drew asked in an irritated tone.

"Yeah, except for the boxing coach, Coach Nickels. In fact he is the only teacher well, person, who takes up for him in this town except Rose and me. He gave the board hell after they booted him from the art and football programs.”

"I know he’s good at art, but was he any good at football?” Drew’s tone changed from irritated to curious.

"He was a great quarterback; they haven’t won a game without him. It doesn’t matter much now since he can’t play with his knee anyway.”

"I meant to ask you about that? Did he do that playing football?”

Jeff frowned and looked down at his feet as they walked, “No that happened not long after his father died. Rose was going to tell you about it, but the bell rang. I guess you’ll hear about it sometime anyway.”

They stopped just before they reached the doors of the gym. Jeff lowered his voice and began explaining.

"About three weeks after his father’s death Luke had driven down to the docks. It was the place where he always went to think things over. David knew this and him and his gang of bastards followed Luke there and attacked him. They nearly beat him to death and had left him in his trunk to die. He would have if Rose and I hadn’t seen his car. We called an ambulance and stayed with him until the paramedics arrived. I still remember driving to the hospital that night. It was raining so hard I could barely see the road and the lighting…It was bad; the whole situation. Luke has never been the same after that.”

"Shit and they got away with it?”

"You can literally get away with murder when your father is the Mayor of the county. That’s why Luke keeps to himself, he is afraid that anyone close to him will get hurt. That’s why Rose thought you would be perfect. David wouldn’t touch you or your mom, because the press would be all over it in a second.”

Drew smiled slightly.

"What?” Jeff asked, confused at his reaction.

“I never thought that those nosey bastards would come in handy, but by hell if I wasn’t wrong.”

Drew turned and headed into the gym still smiling. To his surprise, when he entered, he found David and his lackeys in the lineup that had taken place beside the makeshift boxing ring. When he heard the coach’s announcement he couldn’t help but grin.

"Today in honor of our new student, Mr. Knight, I’ve decided that today’s activity will be boxing. Nothing fancy, just basics. Mr. Knight, would you care to go first?” Coach Button asked in a friendly tone.

He was a fit man, but you could see the light crow’s feet beginning to form and his jet black hair was beginning to grey around his temples. His expression was playful as he looked at Drew.

Drew shrugged indifferently and stepped into the ring.

"Who would you like your opponent to be?” The coach asked him.

Drew centered his eyes on David and nodded. Mouths dropped including the coach’s. David however, just peeled off his jacket and stepped into the ring with a smirk.

David was defiantly muscular, matching Drew’s build without question, but Drew had taken guys like him before. David looked at Drew, checking him over, and Drew noticed that his eyes were compassionless, and empty.

Ding!

David began dancing around Drew, “Come on Knight, show us what you got,” he said mockingly.

Drew smiled, unmoving, in the center of the ring as David circled.

"You scared? Afraid you’ll choke like you did in L.A,” David gave him a devilish grin.

Just as Drew saw him grin Jeff’s words flashed through his mind,

left him in his trunk to die.

Drew didn’t even hesitate and in less than two seconds David was on the ground, dazed.

"Jackass,” Drew simply said as he looked down at the barely conscious David.

"I said just the basics Mr. Knight. Great right hook though,” Coach Button said before turning to a girl Drew had failed to learn the name of, and asked her to go get the nurse.

Drew smiled to himself when he heard him throw in, “Take your time.”

Drew had punched David without proper equipment and hurt his hand in the process. It was red and beginning to swell slightly. Jeff of course caught sight of this.

"Drew, man, you better go to the nurse and get some ice for your hand.”

"Yes Drew, go right ahead,” the coach said choosing the next students.

Drew turned a headed for the door. He started down the hall when he saw the nurse coming his way. He held up his hand and she nodded.

"In my office you’ll find ice packs in the top left shelf.”

"Thanks.”

Drew found the ice packs and he was headed back to the gym when he passed the art room. Luke was sitting at one of the tables next to the back windows with his sketch book. Drew stood in the doorway looking at him.

"You really shouldn’t get away with this you know,” Drew said smiling.

Luke’s eyes snapped up to Drew’s then they looked down at the ice pack Drew was holding to his hand.

"What happened to your hand?” Luke asked in a concerned tone.

Drew walked over to the table and sat down across from Luke.

"You know I’m in your gym class.”

"You’re in most of my classes. What happened?”

"Boxing was today’s activity and I got to choose my opponent. He pissed me off so I knocked him out.”

Luke’s eyes were filled with curiosity, “Who did you choose?”

"David Davidson.”

Luke paled as he stared at Drew in shock, “Why? Why would you do something so stupid?” he shouted as he stood up from his chair.

"I can take him and his friends. Besides, he needs a dose of his own medicine.”

"He isn’t an enemy you want. You don’t have any idea what he’s capable of and you don’t want to find out.”

"Luke, he isn’t going to bother me, the press would be all over it in a second. We can be friends without out the danger. Besides Rose and Jeff might tackle me if I don’t convince you.”

"Rose put you up to this? I should have known there was a reason behind you wanting to be friends with me.”

"Hey, I’ve wanted to be friends with you since you helped me this morning. Rose just encouraged me.”

The bell rang and Luke grabbed his belongings and headed for the door.

He turned back to face Drew as he stood in the doorway.

"Stay away from me,” he said with finality in his caramel eyes.

a href="http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/27336-always/page__pid__367324#entry367324">Discussion anyone?
Copyright © 2013 *HJ*; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Luke is a hard nut to crack, trying to protect his friends, but I think Drew can do it. If Drew had the guts to punch David, he is not going to give up easily on Luke. Loving the story. Thanx

Link to comment
On 08/10/2012 06:05 AM, joann414 said:
Luke is a hard nut to crack, trying to protect his friends, but I think Drew can do it. If Drew had the guts to punch David, he is not going to give up easily on Luke. Loving the story. Thanx
Your right, Drew doesn't give up once he sets his mind to something, which is something to remember. Luke himself is very protective, and he hates the isolation, but he would rather be isolated than to have harm come to anyone.
Link to comment
On 08/10/2012 06:05 AM, joann414 said:
Luke is a hard nut to crack, trying to protect his friends, but I think Drew can do it. If Drew had the guts to punch David, he is not going to give up easily on Luke. Loving the story. Thanx
Your right, Drew doesn't give up once he sets his mind to something, which is something to remember. Luke himself is very protective, and he hates the isolation, but he would rather be isolated than to have harm come to anyone.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..