Jump to content
    *HJ*
  • Author
  • 2,760 Words
  • 3,222 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Always - 20. Happy Happy Joy Joy

Anxiety…heart pounding, guts wrenching, anxiety; that is what Drew felt the next morning when he awoke. He just kept imagining the worst possible scenarios where Jordan might suffer a deadly fate, and Luke may be hurt by a homophobe. As they were getting ready Luke could sense Drew’s unease. He could sense the anxiety in his touch, his voice, even his look.

As Drew stood in front of the bathroom mirror his heart throbbed painfully loudly in his chest. He looked into his own fear stricken eyes and felt like crumbling on himself. He looked down before he could see Luke coming up behind him. He felt Luke’s arms wrap around his torso and his face brush against his own. Drew leaned back into Luke’s embrace and his anxiety seemed to ease a bit.

“You need to relax,” Luke whispered.

“I can’t, I keep worrying about you and Jordan. Thinking I’m going to lose you or Jordan completely. I mean what if someone jumps us at school and I can’t protect you, or if my dad kills Jordan or-” Drew was talking at a frantic pace and Luke could feel his body tensing.

“Hey calm down. You don’t need to worry about me. I may not box well but I can fight. I used to be the quarter back of the football team. I took us to state twice. David and I controlled the school. The only difference about my body now is that I have a bum knee. That only affects football. Before I met you I didn’t care if I lived or died, so I didn’t try to fight back. Now I have a reason to fight back.

“As for Jordan, if he is anything like his big brother I know he will do everything to get back to his family. You just have to have faith he will make it back to you. Not to mention he has the best officers in the state looking for him, trying to rescue him.”

Drew sighed and turned in Luke’s arms to stare into his caramel orbs.

“How do you do that?” Drew asked with a smile.

“Do what?”

“Make me feel as if my life isn’t as screwed up as it is.”

“I just distract you with my great body.”

As Drew and Luke pulled into the parking lot beside Jeff, the students had already begun to stare. Drew protectively walked closer to Luke. By the time they made it to the front steps, Drew’s body was only a couple inches away from Luke’s. The word about their relationship had definitely gotten around, judging by the whistles and derogatory remarks. Luke could once again sense Drew’s unease and this time his anger too. It was a remark from one of Drew’s teammates that caused his anger to boil over.

“I didn’t know fags could box,” said Lance, who was one of the teammates that left the docks after Drew and Luke’s outing.

“Ignore him,” said Luke as he tugged at Drew’s arm.

Luke could feel the anger radiating through Drew’s body just by the touch of his hand. Luke had never been one to pay attention to derogatory remarks. He had gotten used to them a long time before.

“I just can’t wait until Rose gets out of the hospital,” Drew said loud enough for Lance to hear.

Dread and shame were present in Lance’s eyes for only a brief moment. Rose’s influence on the team was evident. She had known all of them since kindergarten and she loved them like brothers and they all loved her like a sister; except of course for Jeff.

“Back the fuck off, Lance!” Jeff said with spite as he came up beside Luke.

“It isn’t your concern Jeff,” spat Lance.

“No, it isn’t your place. Who your co-captain dates is none of your business.”

“You did not make this queer co-captain!”

“It was official about ten minutes ago. It was the coach’s idea. Ask him if you don’t believe me.”

Lance huffed and made his way down the hall toward the coach’s office. Jeff rolled his eyes and gave Drew a pat on the back.

“Are you alright with the coach’s decision?” Drew asked skeptically.

“Man, I wouldn’t choose anyone else. You’re a great leader. Almost as good as me,” Jeff laughed as he slugged drew in the arm.

Drew and Luke both smiled.

“How was Rose this morning?” Luke asked as they began to walk toward the cafeteria for breakfast.

“She had more color. Especially after I told her about how Lance and Joey just walked away from you guys at the dock. Those two are definitely on her hit list,” Jeff said with a sad sigh.

“Sorry,” Luke said.

Jeff stopped in his tracks, and Luke and Drew turned to stare at him. Jeff looked irate as he clenched his fists at his sides. Luke looked at him, confused, but Drew seemed to know exactly why Jeff had stopped.

“Never apologize for assholes like that, Luke. Even if they didn’t approve of you guys being gay for religious beliefs or whatever, it is no reason to abandon a friend or a teammate. It is clear that they acquire no amount of loyalty from their friends or teammates either. Do not apologize for them.”

Drew place a hand on Jeff’s shoulder, “Dude, calm yourself. Rose will take care of them when she gets back.”

Jeff paused for a moment before a shit eating grin took up residence on his face. Drew and Luke both exchanged smiles and then looked curiously at Jeff.

“Oh no, what are you planning on doing?” Luke asked Jeff.

“I’m going to do exactly what Rose would want me to do. I’ll see you guys in AP chem. I got some things to plan,” Jeff laughed as he went off in the other direction.

Drew and Luke laughed.

“Well, since we don’t need to accompany Jeff to the cafeteria, what do you suggest we do for the next fifteen minutes?” Drew asked before putting his arm around Luke’s shoulders.

“Being a bit bold, aren’t we?” Luke said as he automatically slipped his arm around Drew’s waist.

“Might as well be. This is a small town and therefore, everyone already knows anyway.” Drew shrugged.

“Drew Knight, you are by far the most confusing person I had ever met. One minute you worry about us getting jumped and the next you are ready to shout our love to the world.”

Drew laughed before replying, “You didn’t notice did you?”

“Notice what?” Luke asked baffled.

“Look around.”

Luke looked around at the fellow students that surrounded them as they walked in each other’s embrace. Yes, there were stares, but only a few of disapproval. Many of the fellow boys they passed gave them friendly smiles and nods. There were more unfriendly glances coming from the female side of the students.

“Gays are starting to be accepted more and more; especially by the younger generations. Sure there are still plenty of bigots out there but the important thing is that there aren’t as many as there used to be,” said Drew as he squeezed Luke’s shoulders lovingly.

As they neared Luke’s locker, still in their embrace, they spotted David. He walked much like Luke used to; hunched over, tensed, and isolated, but one thing was different. The students never harassed Luke.

Drew and Luke watched as the students ridiculed him. They called out derogatory names like ‘cocksucker’ and ‘fairy’. What boggled the minds of both Drew and Luke was as to why they were not being greeted in the same manner.

As David walked toward them with his head down Luke called out his name. Luke didn’t know what compelled him to do so but he did. David stopped and looked up into the eyes of his former best friend. Into the eyes of the friend he used to love more than anyone. He felt his heart ache and he turned away and continued walking.

“Something’s up. Why is he being ridiculed and not us? I mean we were exposed as well. Fuck we just walked down the same damn hallway as a couple and hardly anyone said a word to us!” Luke exclaimed as he slammed his locker shut.

“Calm down. We will figure out what going on. Let’s go to class and see what we can dig up.”

The boys walked to class. They kept a bit of distance between them as they entered the AP calculus room. They were met with the stares of the students who had already arrived. The first one to speak was a short pixie like blonde.

“Is it true?” she squeaked.

Drew and Luke looked at each other and then back at the blonde that sat before them in her green sketchers and Aropastalè jeans and sweater.

“Is what true, Danika?” Luke asked with a frown.

“That you and Drew are a couple and that David is gay and was in love with Tyler and made your life a living hell because he thought you killed the only guy he ever loved,” Danika said in one long breath.

Drew and Luke looked at each other stunned.

“How in the hell do you know all of that?” Drew asked.

“Oh, everyone knows. David sent out a mass text this morning clearing Luke’s name and pretty much admitting that he made a mistake. Check your phone.”

Drew pulled out his cell and sure enough there was the text message from David, explaining nearly everything about his recent behavior.

 

Fwd: From: David

I just want to say that Luke would never hurt anyone on purpose. Deep down I knew that, but I let my rage get in the way. Luke was my best friend but somewhere down the line I changed. Luke never did. I don’t care what anyone says, he is the guy I wish I could be. He has someone who loves him and he was the friend to Tyler that I couldn’t be...no matter how much I loved him. I’m sorry.

 

After their first period the day seemed to go by in a blur. Jeff was still plotting something, David walked around like a lost and abused puppy, and Drew and Luke just went through the motions of going to class. Drew had Jordan on his mind most of the day and David on top of that. By the time the last period of the day rolled around, AP chemistry, they were ready to find out what Jeff had been planning all day.

As the three walked into their class, Jeff was still wearing the same grin he had been earlier that morning. Lance was sitting behind his desk with his partner Frank and Jeff just laughed.

“Well, if it isn’t the fags and their groupie,” Lance said as they walked in and took their seats.

Jeff let his smile fade, but Luke could tell it was a hard feat for him.

“Not another word out of you Lance or you can kiss that slot on the varsity good-bye,” Jeff said as he took his seat.

Lance’s face contorted in anger.

“You don’t have the authority to do that,” he spat.

“Not officially, but the guys and I are damn tired of you picking on Drew and Luke. Keep it up and we will make sure you are out for the rest of the season.”

Lance looked like he was about to reply but the teacher walked in before he could utter a word. As always the class was instructed to put on the safety goggles and apron.

The lesson dragged on but Jeff never lost his shit eating grin. When it came time to mix their solutions everyone seemed to be doing fine until Lances vial began to bubble and stink. The teacher instructed everyone to leave quickly. Jeff was laughing his head off and so were Drew and Luke.

“You did not just pull the oldest trick in the book,” Drew said in a low whisper full of laughter.

“Yes I did, but there’s more,” Jeff laughed and nodded to Lance.

Lance stood by the door furiously trying to remove his safety goggles that were mysteriously glued to his face and his apron that had been glued to his clothes.

“You put super glue on his equipment?” Luke laughed.

“On his apron but not on his goggles. What is on his goggles… is not super glue,” said Jeff in between fits of laughter, “that is much, much stronger. That my friends, is a Jeff original.”

“Jeff,” said Mrs. Hadley, “I wouldn’t suppose you would have anything to do with Lance’s unfortunate predicament?”

“Mrs. Hadley you know I would never do such a thing to a fellow teammate,” Jeff said in a shocked tone that made Mrs. Hadley almost giggle.

She leaned in next to Jeff, “At least tell the little scum ball how to remove them.”

Jeff tried to contain his laughter.

“Oh, don’t worry, it will wear off in a few days, but right now I think he can handle some humiliation.”

“I quite agree,” she whispered before looking sternly at Jeff again. “I’m sorry to have accused you Jeff.”

Lance shot the three boys an evil glare through his goggles, but the boys just laughed harder. The bell rang not long after and Drew and Luke found themselves heading toward the hospital with Jeff to inform Rose of the ‘accident’.

 

She was exceptionally pleased. The thought of Lance having to sit out the next match due to chemistry goggles being glued to his face nearly caused her to rip open her stitches.

“I love my boys,” she laughed. “What I am really interested in is who tried to hurt my cub, but got the momma bear instead?”

Frowns invaded the room and Jeff sat down beside Rose and took her hand.

“We know that David wasn’t behind it,” Luke said as he handed her his phone with the text pulled up.

Rose felt herself gasp at reading David’s declaration. She hit the call button and before anyone could object she was speaking with David.

“David, it’s Rose. I want to talk to you. I’m in room 128. Get here.”

She pressed the end button and handed the phone back to Luke. No one was surprised at her actions, and so they all got comfortable and waited on David to arrive.

Jeff was asleep as he lay beside Rose. Drew had also fallen asleep with his head in Luke’s lap on the couch when David hesitantly entered the room.

Luke was softly playing with Drew’s dark chocolate hair and was nearly dozing himself. Jeff mumbled lightly in his sleep and Rose sat quietly looking at David.

“It certainly took you long enough,” Rose whispered.

A ghost of a smile appeared on David’s lips before Luke’s head snapped up and he stared at David. David stood quiet and still on the inside of the door awaiting Luke’s reaction.

“Did you mean it?” Luke whispered.

“Yes, more than anything in a very long time,” David said as he looked at the floor.

“You better have meant it,” said Drew as he rose up and kissed Luke’s cheek.

“I thought you were asleep,” smiled Luke.

“You should have known I was awake the moment he walked in the door,” Drew whispered.

“David,” said Rose still quiet. “Did you mean it?”

As David started to speak she held up her hand. “Don’t say it to them. Come here, look me in the eyes and say it.”

David looked at Luke and Drew, who were now standing in front of the couch, they nodded and he proceeded to stand in front of Rose. Rose had nudged Jeff awake and he had gone stiff at seeing David so close to her.

“I was stupid. Very stupid. I let my anger and guilt spill onto Luke because I thought he killed him. Before I passed out the last thing I saw was Luke dragging him away. I just- I-miss him so much!” David burst into tears and sunk to his knees.

Luke looked at Drew with saddened eyes.

What if that was me mourning you, or vice versa?”

Drew nodded and Luke walked over to David and placed a hand on his shoulder. David looked up at him through blurry eyes and before anything could be said David shot up and pulled Luke into the tightest hug ever. Luke just returned the embrace as David wept his apology into his shoulder.

Thanks to Frostina for her editing work!
Copyright © 2013 *HJ*; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love how you are portraying David! a hurt boy trying to take revenge for the one he loved. also, it takes a great deal of strength to own up to your mistakes. especially if they are of the magnitude of the mistakes David made. Keep up the good work!

 

Hugs...

Frosty

Link to comment
On 01/13/2011 02:59 PM, Frostina said:
I love how you are portraying David! a hurt boy trying to take revenge for the one he loved. also, it takes a great deal of strength to own up to your mistakes. especially if they are of the magnitude of the mistakes David made. Keep up the good work!

 

Hugs...

Frosty

Thanks Hun!
Link to comment

I never thought I would feel sorry for David after reading the story but I come close to it in this. He still needs to pay though. I need to know what happens with Jordan so can we concentrate on that now please.

Link to comment
On 01/23/2011 11:15 PM, Nephylim said:
I never thought I would feel sorry for David after reading the story but I come close to it in this. He still needs to pay though. I need to know what happens with Jordan so can we concentrate on that now please.
Hehe, you have to love David lol. Jordan....where is he??? Love ya Nemphy! Thanks for the great comments.
Link to comment

Luke is such a great person, still being there for David. Got to love Rose. everyone wrapped around her finger. lol

Link to comment
On 08/11/2012 05:09 AM, joann414 said:
Luke is such a great person, still being there for David. Got to love Rose. everyone wrapped around her finger. lol
Rose is my favorite character. I love writing her, which is why she will appear a lot in the last chapters.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..