Jump to content
    iSimba
  • Author
  • 196 Words
  • 760 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Feline Laments - 1. What About Peace?

This is a poem I entered for a school poetry contest called "What About Peace?"
I got an award :)

What is peace?

Peace is the absence of war, of conflict, of anger, of fear:

A beautiful spring day warmed by the dazzling sun.

The smile on a father’s face as his child surges powerfully ahead through life.

The rich aroma of baking bread, the joyful laughter of children in a bazaar.

The gleaming, breathtaking snowcapped peaks of the highest mountains.

Why would we not crave peace?

 

Why would we crave peace?

Peace is freedom but also a cage:

Constricting and lulling us into a false sense of security.

Calming and soothing but also a destructive maelstrom,

Stirring deceit, zeal, fear, and the need for conflict in the hearts of man.

Benevolent but also malevolent,

Righting and wronging us at the same time,

Both the best thing for humanity and also the worst.

 

Peaces is what we strive for and work towards, but always lose.

Peace is what we crave and cry for, but always destroy.

Peace is what we need to survive but always hurts us.

Peace is what protects us but allows the knife to drive deeper when it strikes.

Peace is not truly peace at all, but an illusion.

Copyright © 2011 iSimba; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I really like this poem, not many people come to this conclusion when referring to "peace", the quick jump to freedom and happiness but it can be good as well as bad and I feel that you have reflected that!

Good job! :D

Link to comment

Awwww Zachie. I loved it! I absolutely loved it! :wub: No wonder you won an award fir this one. Congrats btw. :2thumbs:

Great job!

Link to comment

We are only left with the choice of questioning its existence.

Illusion... or is it a dream?

Happy to have read you :D

Link to comment
On 10/11/2011 10:17 AM, K.C. said:
I really like this poem, not many people come to this conclusion when referring to "peace", the quick jump to freedom and happiness but it can be good as well as bad and I feel that you have reflected that!

Good job! :D

Ty :)
Link to comment
On 10/11/2011 02:23 PM, DearRadee said:
Awwww Zachie. I loved it! I absolutely loved it! :wub: No wonder you won an award fir this one. Congrats btw. :2thumbs:

Great job!

Aww thanks! :hugs:
Link to comment
On 10/12/2011 02:59 AM, yoxone said:
We are only left with the choice of questioning its existence.

Illusion... or is it a dream?

Happy to have read you :D

Ty :)
Link to comment

My review, it reminds me of my poetry i wrote as a teenager. I can sense emotion in there, but it's hard to find for me.... however I can feel it, a deep rooted sadness.

I hope to see more poetry from you soon ^_^

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..