Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Praying For A Hail Mary - 1. Chapter 1

“Wow Troy, Coach Campbell doesn’t look too pleased on what is going on out there with his defensive line on the field right now. He looks like he wants to tear off the heads of the referees and I surely don’t blame him. The Washington Redskins are just rolling right over the Dallas defense and they seem to have no answer to what is happening out on the field.”

“No Joe, they haven’t been able to put together a stop yet here today. But it isn’t unusual for the Dallas team this year. It was supposed to be their year to make it all the way to the big show, but they can’t even put together a win here in either the regular or the pre-season. They keep going like this, they are going to fall, and that isn’t a way to start a promising season.”

The crowd in Cowboy Stadium agreed with Troy and Joe’s commentary with boos on what their defense is doing on the field. The Washington Redskins are making their way down the field for the second time and looks like they are going to score again, which will make it fourteen to zero. Something they know will be almost impossible for their team to climb out of.

“Come on ref! A blind man could see that was a foul.” Coach Campbell yelled as he stepped onto the field, grabbing the side line referee’s attention. “If you keep allowing them to get away with those kind of fouls, someone is going to get hurt here, and I’m afraid it’s going to be one of my guys. So pull that damn flag out of your ass and start calling the fouls.”

Coach Campbell did get through to the sideline referee, but he didn’t get the foul he wanted called. Instead he got one called on him; a personal foul that cost his team fifteen yards and a free first down on the one yard line. A play later, the Washington Redskins quarterback walked right into the end zone, putting up another six points. Right after that the extra point was good, putting his team fourteen points down. Even though there was still plenty of football left to play, a little over three quarters, he didn’t like being down that much so quickly.

“Where in the hell is my quarterback?” Coach Campbell yelled with frustration in his voice as he looked around the sideline. “Stevens, get your ass over here now.” Don, the starting quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys ran over to his head coach. “Listen and listen good. You need to forget about what has happened so far. Forget about those two turnovers and play our game. There is still plenty of time left for us to come back and win this thing. So this is what you are going to do as captain of this team.”

Coach Campbell went over several plays with Don before sending him onto the field. Since they ate a lot of their time up, Don gave his line two plays and broke the huddle. On his way up to the line, he looked across from him and did not like what he was seeing. He didn’t like how the defensive line of the Redskins was lined up.

Immediately he changed the play with just seconds on the play clock. Barely able to get the ball off before running out of time, Don stepped back a couple of feet to look for his receivers, but before he could locate them on the field, his front four crumbled and the defensive line of the Redskins was coming at him. He wanted to give his receivers time to get open, so he scrambled to his right, and then to his left, but there was nothing he could do. He was sacked, losing eight yards in return.

Pulling himself up, dusting off his uniform as he made his way back to the huddle, Don wasn’t too happy with how fast his front four fell apart. “Come on guys, you need to give me just a little more time to get the play off.” Don spoke in a whisper looking at his front four and only got nods back from them. “Okay let’s shake that one off and get our heads back into this thing.”

He gave the two plays that Campbell called in before breaking the huddle. Once again as he made his way up to the line of scrimmage, Don again didn’t like what he was seeing on the other side. Knowing he had only two downs to get eighteen yards, he didn’t change the play. He’d rather get the hit in the pocket than get his team into an impossible third and long.

Just seconds left on the play clock, Don had the ball hiked. Like the play before, he took a couple steps back, and like before his front line disintegrated. He knew that he had to get positive yards off of this play, so he stood his ground knowing he was going to get hit and hit hard. Right before the first defensive player reached out for him, Don got the ball off. He had no idea if it got to the receiver he targeted because seconds after getting rid of the ball, he was out.

“Damn it, I told you this game was getting out of control!” Coach Campbell yelled at two referees as he and several of his coaches and medical team went running onto the field to check on their quarterback. “If you keep allowing this kind of football there is going to be a lot of players being pulled off of this field on a gurney.”

“Coach Campbell is really upset down there with the referees.” Joe Buck said as they went live from the field up to the studio. “Right before this serious tackle, Campbell warned the referees that something like this was going to happen. Instead of listening to him, they called a personal foul on him, giving the Redskins seven more points on the board. If the worse comes to worse down there and Stevens is unable to come back into the game, their chances of coming back here today are slim.”

“It was already slim with Stevens at the helm being fourteen points down. If he can’t come back and Watkins has to come in for him as a second year rookie, they might as well kiss this game goodbye. There is just no way will a second year quarterback be able to come into this game, take the helm of the offensive line, and bring them back. There’s just no way!”

"Hate to say it, but I agree with you Troy. If that happens it will be nigh on impossible for the Cowboys to come back.” Both Joe and Troy looked down on the field. “I had the privilege to interview Stevens a couple of times and when I tell you this man plays through hurt would be an understatement. He doesn’t look like he is even moving down there, and that isn’t good.”

“No, no it isn’t good. Being a quarterback myself in this league, a hit like he got was one of the main things I always worried about when I ran onto the field each game. It is a career ending hit. But I hope I’m wrong here or at least he is only out for the rest of the game. It’s just with this much time gone by with no movement at all and now they are calling for the ambulance to come onto the field? Stevens is hurt badly.”

Back on the field, the stadium was dead quiet. The fans are on their feet, stunned on what is unfolding before them. The players on both sides of the ball have taken a knee while the medical crew worked on Stevens. Now seeing the ambulance driving onto the field, the Cowboys fans knew that their quarterback was really hurt bad.

Coach Campbell didn’t leave Don’s side until he was loaded up in the back of the ambulance. As his quarterback was being rushed off the field, he called over his backup quarterback. Watkins wanted to get into the game, but not this way. So when he walked up to his coach, he was shaking.

“I know you didn’t expect to play here today. I also know this isn’t how you wanted to start your career in the NFL, but you have no other choice. The offensive line is now yours to run! There is no doubt in my mind that you can get it done for us. Just remember what you have learned in practice. Trust your teammates and you will get it done out there.”

Watkins shook his head. “Okay then, Stevens got us our first down. All you have to do is build on that one play at a time. Don’t try and do it all at once. Get rid of the jitters and get used to your teammates. Once you do that, this will start flowing for you.”

Once again Watkins nodded his head as Coach Campbell gave him the plays he wanted ran. Nervously he walked up to huddle and informed his teammates of the plays. As he spoke, his voice cracked several times, but no one said a word. Their minds were still on what had just happened to Stevens. They couldn’t believe it, but they knew they had to shake it off.

Before they were able to break the huddle, several yellow flags were thrown calling the play dead before he could even get off the ground. “Delay of game. Offensive, five yard penalty, still first down.” The head referee was met by boos from the Cowboy fans.

As the referees picked up their flags, Watkins called the same plays, got his team up to the line scrimmage and got the play off in time. They didn’t go anywhere, it was three and out. However the defense was able to do the same thing to Redskins when they got out on the field for the first time in the game. They were only able to play three downs and they were back on the sideline.

For the next eleven and half minutes it went like that. It boiled down to which defensive line was going to blink first. Coach Campbell and his team started to believe they still had a chance to get back into this game with a backup quarterback. Then the worst happened. With only almost four minutes left in the second quarter, the Cowboys offensive line crumbled once again, letting the Redskins defense through. They ran right over Watkins causing him to fumble, and they ran it right in for touchdown, but that wasn’t the end of it.

When everyone’s attention went back to Watkins, they saw he not only wasn’t getting up, but he was yelling in pain. For the second time Coach Campbell and his staff ran out onto the field to treat their quarterback. This time Campbell didn’t yell at the referees, even though he wanted to. The only thing on his mind at that time was the injury to his quarterback.

Not wanting any dead airtime, Fox once again went back to the studio with Troy and Joe. “If Watkins doesn’t get up and finish this game, what are the Cowboys going to do? They don’t have another quarterback on their roster.” Joe asked with concern in his voice. “This has never happened before in my career; in one game a team loses two quarterbacks.”

“I can’t remember that happening either.” Troy turned to face Joe. “If Watkins can’t continue, I don’t know what Coach Campbell is going to do. He lost his third string quarterback a week ago and didn’t fill the slot. He is going to have to go to those he has there on the side line and see who can play the position, and I don’t see him having any success there at all.”

As Troy and Joe were going back and forth on what Coach Campbell could and should do, Campbell was down on the field doing it. He had no other choice than to leave Watkins with the medical staff to talk with his coaching staff. They had to figure out if they had any player on the sidelines that has played the quarterback position before and could do it at NFL level.

“Okay we are in a shit hole now gentleman. With Stevens out and for sure and Watkins out for the rest of this game we need to find a quarterback out of the players we have.” Coach Campbell looked over at the sideline and back on the field. “So who do you guys think can do it?”

No one spoke immediately, but when Campbell asked the second time they all started throwing out names. Every name they threw out, Campbell shot down. It wasn’t because they were not good quarterbacks; it was because they never have played in that position before. He wanted to have a person that has at least played the position before that he is going to ask them to play now.

“Well there is that new kicker we just signed a couple days ago. What is his name?” the offensive line coach Mark Lewis asked looking over at the special teams coach, Lee Jackson. “I understand he played quarterback in high school and in college. We took him because he also was used in college as their three point kicker.”

“Yes he did play quarterback as well as a three point kicker in college.” Jackson spoke in his low reassuring voice. “I don’t know how good the young man is in the quarterback position since we were only looking at him as a kicker.” Jackson looked over at his special team’s line and yelled out the young man’s name. “Coach Campbell this gentleman you haven’t met. His name is Jason Engelmann. He just joined us a couple days ago.”

“Mr. Engelmann I understand you have played in the quarterback position before?” Jason nodded his head. “You played that position all through high school and college, is that correct?” Once again Jason nodded. “I know you haven’t seen our playbook or even been in the huddle with the guys, but your team needs you to jump in there and play in the quarterback position. Do you have a problem with that son?”

“No sir I don’t have a problem with that.” Jason stuttered as he fiddled with his helmet. “It’s just, um, I don’t know any of the plays and, um I have never played with those guys out there.”

“I understand all that, but you are our only choice here.” Coach Campbell placed his hand softly on Jason’s right shoulder. “I will help you the best that I can, but we both have to work together in order for us to even have a chance here.” Jason shook his head. “Now tell you the first thing we are going to do is throw the play book out. We are going to make it as simple as possible for you to run the offense out there and the guys on your line will help you along the way.”

Coach Campbell waved over the offensive line and started laying out the plan for the rest of the game. Back in the studio, Troy and Joe were trying to get stats on Jason, but couldn’t. He was signed just days before and has never played a game in the NFL. Because of that, no one knew how Jason played the game and even if he could play the game at the NFL level.

“Troy all I can say for this poor twenty two year old kid fresh out of college is good luck. He is being thrown into the fire with the most looked at team in the NFL.”

“Forget about that for now Joe!” Troy pointed out to the field. “He has to go out there and take the helm of a team that is now twenty one points down, with less than four minutes left in the first half. On top of all that, he has to be worried about the defensive line of the Redskins. In just two quarters of play they took out the first and second string quarterbacks of the All American Team. Not only all the eyes here in this stadium are on him to somehow bring this team back from the dead, along with all the eyes watching at home looking at him to do the same.”

“The sad thing here Troy is no matter how he plays out there, this young new comer to the NFL will be pulled apart in the press. As you said he is taking the helm of the All American Team. The team that you expect to win and make it up to the big show no matter if you like them or hate them. I really feel for this young man and hope he can pull off some kind of miracle today!”

Troy chuckled as he looked over at the huge jumbo screen on the field. The fans were on their feet applauding because they were seeing Watkins being carted off the field in a gurney. His left arm was extended in the air with his thumb up which got the crowd to make even more noise. They think with what they were seeing that Watkins is going to be able to return in the second half, but they are going to be in for a big surprise.

“It’s always good news to see a player getting the fans back into the game after getting hit the way he did out there.” Troy looked over at Joe, straight into the camera behind him. “The only problem there is we don’t know what the extent of his injuries are right now. Yes he can raise his left arm and give a thumbs up, but that isn’t his throwing arm or his legs.”

“That’s true Troy! All we can do is play the waiting game to see if Watkins is going to be able to return. But for now our attention has to be focused on the newcomer down there making his way to the Cowboy’s huddle. He is getting a standing ovation from the fans here in Cowboy stadium, but that applause and approval could quickly change to boos and anger from the fans.”

“That’s true, very true! All we can do at this point is sit back and see what this young newcomer is going to do out there. So let’s turn this game back over to those the fans who have tuned in to watch the players.” Troy and Joe looked out their window as the camera faded back to the field.

On shaky feet Jason stood in the huddle looking around at his fellow teammates. He saw the same look in each of their faces, concern. “Look I know what is probably going through your minds right now. Who in the hell is this guy and can he play with us on this field? The only thing I can say is we all will get those answers very soon.” That relaxed some of the players a little bit. “I don’t know your plays and we have never played a down together, but I’m going to give everything I have to try and help us win this game.”

The more Jason went on talking, the more comfortable he got in the huddle. He knew the play clock was ticking down, so after a few more words of trying to sell himself to his teammates, he put the play. It was simple, a running play, nothing fancy about it. Once they all understood, they broke the huddle and made their way up to the line scrimmage.

Just as the ball was hiked, the play clock clicked down to zero, causing the referees to throw their flags bringing the play dead. “Delay of game, five yard penalty, repeat first down.” The head referee once again was greeted with boos from the fans in the stadium. Jason didn’t let it bother him; he called the same plays in the huddle and brought his line quickly to the line of scrimmage.

However, the confidence he was building in the huddle vanished the minute the ball was released from the center. Jason had no idea what had happened. All he knew was the ball never made it to his hands and he was scrambling around trying to find it. Lucky for him, he saw it just as the defensive line broke through and was heading towards the ball. Knowing he couldn’t salvage the play, he threw himself on the ball and prepared himself for what was coming.

The fans, those in the booth, the entire sideline of the Cowboys and the fans watching at home were holding their breath as one after another of the defensive line tackled the Cowboys quarterback. For the next fifteen or so seconds there wasn’t a noise or a movement made. All the eyes were on the field hoping that this quarterback would come out from beneath that pile able to continue the game.

One by one, the players were pulled up. When they finally got to the bottom of the pile and Jason stood up with the ball in his hand, you couldn’t hear yourself think. The fans broke out in a roar that echoed throughout the stadium. It was a scene never before experienced in this stadium. No matter which team they came to support, they all were on their feet cheering. They were relieved that the quarterback wasn’t hurt and was able to hold onto the ball. Giving them a chance to try and get some points on the board before the end of the half.

Jason shook off the hit as he made his way back to the huddle. “Okay enough is enough with these assholes. We need to send a loud and clear message to those dicks that we are not going to be run over in our house.” Jason looked over to the wide receivers. “I have never played with you guys, but I have watched you guys play. This has always been my team ever since I could remember. So this is what we are going to do. Miles you are going to take off. Just run, don’t look back. When you get to the twenty yard line, extend your arms, the ball will be there.” Jason saw in Miles face he still didn’t trust him. “Please, trust me on this, it will be there.”

“I don’t know how the Cowboys are going to get themselves back into this game?” The cameras split the screen between the field and the booth. Letting Joe and Troy try and walk the fans at home through what is happening on the field. “They have a quarterback that has never played at this level, making huge mistakes when the Cowboys can’t afford them. Between the delay of game penalty and this near fumble; they are backed up twenty four yards. I don’t see how this rookie quarterback is going to dig this team out of those yards.”

“Joe the problem for all of us is that we don’t know what this quarterback can and can’t do. The only thing we can say for certain you’ve already said. Let’s just hope that Campbell has instructed his offense to run as much as the clock down as possible and leave the rest of this half to his defense to keep them from getting further behind on the score board. Go in only twenty one points down and give Engelmann a crash course with their plays.”

“Hold on just a minute there Troy, it doesn’t look like Campbell has instructed his offense to do that. They are lined up in the shotgun. It looks like they are not going to lie down and go into the half just twenty one points down. They want to get some kind of points on the board.”

“I can’t believe what I am seeing here. The rookie quarterback is not showing any fear. He is staring down the defense that has taken out already two of the Cowboys quarterbacks.” Troy said with excitement in his voice. “Oh here he goes, the ball has been hiked. Jason is still in the pocket, looking for a receiver, no wait; he is scrambling out of the pocket, moving to his right. The defense has broken through. They have him! No wait! He broke the first tackle, he’s still on his feet. Breaking the second tackle, now scrambling back to his left, now back to front. It looks like there is nowhere for him to go. The defense is right on him! He released the ball! He released the ball just as he was being taken down by three of the Redskins defensive linemen.”

Once again silence fell over the Cowboys stadium. It felt like everything was going in slow motion to everyone in the stadium and at home as the ball flew through the sky. Just as he was asked, Miles never looked back. He just ran down the sideline and when he got to the Redskins twenty, he extended his arms and hoped the ball was going to be there.

“I can’t believe this, I can’t believe this.” Joe took over the commentary from Troy. “Miles Austin has caught the ball. Touch down Miles Austin!” Joe yelled into the microphone. “A sixty eight yard throw from a rookie quarterback, to Miles Austin who has run it in for an eighty eight yard touchdown. The Cowboys might have found their quarterback.”

The fans were on their feet as Miles Austin celebrated in the end zone. Most of the offensive line made their way down to Miles to join in the celebration, and those that didn’t, celebrated as they made their way off the field. The fans and coaching staff on both sides were stunned with what just happened, along with those watching at home. Just what Jason wanted, a message was sent.

Jason was one that didn’t join his fellow teammates on the other side of the field. It wasn’t because he didn’t want to. It was because he had to get himself ready to do the job he was originally hired to do, kick in the extra point. As he ran to the sidelines, Coach Campbell patted him on the shoulder and whispered great job before letting him go for the kick.

The Cowboys defense did their job. For the last two and half minutes of the first half, they kept the Redskins offense from scoring again. When the final seconds of the second quarter clicked away, the Dallas sideline and their fans felt good leaving the horrible half they just had only fourteen points behind a team that came into their house to dismantle them.

As they walked through the long tunnel to their dressing rooms, Jason lagged behind thinking of what just happened. He never dreamed he would ever play quarterback in the NFL, more so for the Dallas Cowboys. Don’t get him wrong, he was a pretty good high school and college quarterback, but not good enough that he believed could transfer over to the NFL. So when the Cowboys came knocking for him to come on board to be their extra point and three point kicker, he jumped at it no matter how much time they were willing to give him on a contract.

Knocking him out of his thoughts was the door to the locker room. Jason was so deep in thought he didn’t see the door coming until it hit him right on the nose. Stunned, he walked in rubbing his nose, surprised it wasn’t bleeding. He wasn’t the only one that was surprised that his nose wasn’t bleeding; those that walked in right before him were as well. They couldn’t figure out how he didn’t see that door coming at him until it was too late.

Before Jason could take his seat, the offensive coach grabbed him and pulled him off to side, away from all the noise. “Look Jason what you did on that last play was outstanding. I had no idea you had such a huge arm!” Coach Lewis looked over his quarterback’s nose before continuing. “Are you okay?” Jason nodded his head. “Good you are it Jason, you are the man that is going to be leading this team for the rest of this game. I can’t have a door take you out, so on your way make sure you’re watching for those dangerous doors that come out of nowhere!” Lewis laughed!

“Okay, enough with the joking!” Out of nowhere Coach Campbell appeared. “We don’t have a lot of time to bring this young man up to speed on what he has to do out there.” He sat down next to Jason. “Stevens and Watkins are for sure out for the rest of this game and it is uncertain if either of the two are going to be able to suit up and get on that field any time soon. For at least the rest of this game, you are my man to get the job done out there. So here is what we are going to do!”

Jason hung on every word Coach Campbell was saying. It wasn’t something he normally did, but there was just something about this coach that makes you listen to what he has to say and believe every word that comes out of his mouth. He is different than any coach Jason has ever had. This one seems to care for his players and really strives to make them better than they already are.

“As you can see we are making everything simple. The playbook we normally use I have stripped it down to its bare minimum for you to understand.” Jason nodded again. “I understand you are a fan of this team!” Jason answered yes. “So basically you know who plays where?” Once again Jason said yes. “That’s good. Plus you playing quarterback before helps a lot. These plays are simple and easy for you to remember which is which.”

For the remainder of their allotted time for halftime, both Campbell and Lewis worked with Jason on the plays. When it was time to head back out on the field to start the second half, all of the offensive line was with Jason and the coaches helping out. With their help, Jason knew what was up and what was down now. The only thing that still bothered him was if he was the man that could help his team come back and win this game, or at least not lose badly.

Back in the booth, Troy and Joe had just been handed back to the audience at home from the halftime show. Not breaking away from their normal routine, they went over the first half stats and then started to give their predictions on what is going to happen in the second half by what they had seen in the first. Both of them doubted that the Cowboys were going to be able to come back and win this game with a rookie quarterback.

“Please don’t get me wrong, this young man showed some life in the last minute of the first half, but he won’t be able to get away with it in the second. I promise you Troy, the coaches on the Redskin side went to their defense and tore them apart on that pass. They have the young kid’s number, and they are going to shut him down immediately when they get the ball in this second half.”

“Well, I hate to disagree with you Joe on that, but the more and more I look at that play we have all been talking about, the more I’m thinking there is something there. I don’t know if it’s enough to win this game, but I believe it’s enough to keep the Redskins on their toes. Just take a look at that play and see how many tackles he got away from. If he can do that again and again it’s over.”

Troy replayed the touchdown pass several times again. A couple of times in normal speed and a couple of times in slow motion. When he slowed down the replay, he marked where Jason should have gone down, but was able to get away. By the time he was done, they counted five missed tackles before three of the defensive players on the Redskins team finally got to him.

“As I watch it Troy, I see a lucky young man out there that will not get lucky again.” Troy interrupted his partner in the booth. “Sorry Joe but we are going to have to shelve this discussion for another time because we are running out of time. Before the second half gets on its way, let’s go down to the field and see what Pam Oliver found out for us.”

The camera switched from the booth to the sideline with Pam Oliver. “Joe and Troy, I had a chance to talk with both head coaches as they came back on the field. Coach Campbell made it clear he wasn’t happy with the referees, but he followed it up saying that is an item that he can’t do anything about. The things he can, he has. He likes how his defense finally started to play, keeping the Redskins from scoring on several drives. He also liked what he saw from his replacement quarterback out there. If both of these continue to click here in the second half, he believes that they will break their losing cycle here today and walk out with a win.

On the other side of the ball, the Washington Redskins head coach told me he was very happy with how all his lines were playing. He has no plans on changing anything in this half except to step it up right away and put this game to bed. Just like Coach Campbell, he believes his team will walk off with a win here today, leaving Dallas with a starting record of zero and three.”

“Pam that is all very interesting, but have you heard anything about the Cowboys injuries?”

“I barely could hear your question down here Troy with the Cowboys fans on their feet cheering their team on as they made their way out to their sideline. I believe you asked me if I heard any more about the injured quarterbacks.” Troy confirmed that was the question. “Not really any more than we already know. Stevens, the Cowboys starting quarterback is for sure out for the rest of the season, and possibly his career in the NFL might be over. We won’t know any more on that until he gets out of surgery. As far as Watkins, he is out for the rest of the regular season. It looks like the Cowboys are going to be shopping for a quarterback on their bye week.”

“That’s so true Pam, thanks a lot for the update.” The camera switched back to the booth. “The Cowboys bye week couldn’t have come at a better time for them. Having both of their quarterbacks out for the rest of the regular season, they are going to need the two weeks to find themselves a new quarterback and get him ready to take the reins of the Cowboy’s offense.”

“Can’t agree with you more there Joe on that point.” Troy turned and looked straight into the camera. “We are out of time here in the booth, the second half of the Redskins and Cowboys is about to start, so let’s go back to the field”

Jason had butterflies in his stomach as he watched the special teams of both sides take the field. Since they lost the coin toss at the beginning of the game, the Redskins elected to receive, which means he will be touching the ball a lot sooner than he wanted to. It took only seconds for the kick and return to take place and Jason and the offensive line was making their way onto the field.

Leaning in, Jason looked into each of his line’s faces. “We’re all hearing what our chances are to win this game with me playing quarterback. I won’t stand here and say they are wrong because I don’t even know what I can do out there. But like I promised you guys before, I will leave everything I have out here on this field to try and help win this game.” Jason got positive grunts.

“The first play is a running play, but I would like to try something different.” Jason looked over at his running back. “You line up right beside me and when I say hut, the center hikes the ball directly to you and you follow me. I will clear a path for you to get through and get positive yards, if not a first down. Are you cool with that?”

The running back agreed and Jason broke the huddle. They walked up to the line of scrimmage and just as the play clock counted down to run, the ball was hiked. Coach Campbell couldn’t believe what he was seeing. They were running a running play, but not the one that he called in. In fact, it wasn’t a play in his play book. All he could do is stand back and pray that his only quarterback doesn’t get hurt as he pushes through the defensive line of the Redskins, opening up such a huge hole that allowed the running back into the secondary of the Redskins and further. By the time they tackled the running back, he picked up thirty two yards. The longest running play all season for the Cowboys, but it wasn’t to be the longest for them in this game.

The final half of his first game, which might be is only game in the NFL, was a blur for Jason. He felt like he was walking in the clouds the entire time, but somehow was able to help his team to their first victory of the season. It was a hard battle, but at the end, the Cowboy’s defense stepped it up along with their offense, making the first half look like child’s play.

The last thirty minutes of the game the defense kept the Redskins offense from putting together a drive. Most of the time when they got the ball, they were three and out. The other times when they weren’t three and out, they got a couple of first downs, but never made it over to the Dallas side of the field. Which kept them from scoring points in the second half.

On the other side of the ball with the offensive line of the Dallas Cowboys Jason was able to put together very impressive drives. Each time they got the ball, not only did they get first downs and make it over to the Redskins side of the field, but they scored each time. They put together runs that crushed franchise records of yards in half. When it was all said and done, the offense put together drives that gave them more yards in that half than they got in their first two games put together.

As the final seconds of the game counted down, the fans were on their feet. They were cheering for their Cowboys and the win they just put together for them and not only those in stadium. From fans, those in the booth, to those at home watching the game, were stunned how the Cowboys were able to come back from behind with a freshman quarterback and win the way they did. With the final score Redskins twenty one to the Cowboy’s forty two.

Once again Jason was in the clouds on the long walk to the locker room. However this time he did watch for doors that came out of nowhere and didn’t get hit by them. As he walked into the locker room, he couldn’t help but notice the celebration that was going on. His teammates and coaches had made their way to the middle of the locker room and had started celebrated their victory. Even Coach Campbell was in the mix, which stunned Jason.

Since he didn’t know any of them, he felt out of place. He wanted to join the celebration, but feared that he would be shunned since he wasn’t one of them. Instead, he turned and walked over to his locker and began to strip off his uniform. In minutes Jason was out of his uniform and in his street clothes heading to the door. Just as he grabbed the handle, he felt a hand on his shoulder, causing him to turn around. Standing there with a big grin on his face was Coach Campbell.

“Son, where do you think you are going?” Jason started to answer the coach, but Coach Campbell didn’t let him get two words out. “Look I know we threw you into the deep end of the pool today, but you showed us and everyone out there that you do belong on the field in the quarterback position. You were part of snapping our losing streak and getting us our first win of the season. So why don’t you go on over there and join the others and take it all in. These moments are very rare. So when they come along, you need to stop and allow yourself to soak it all in.”

“I know coach, but those guys deserve to celebrate, not me. They are the professionals that were able to come back and win this game. I was only there for the ride, which, man was I honored to be on the field for it all.” Jason cracked a smile for the first time. “Now you and the other coaches are going to get down to business getting this team a real quarterback to lead them for the rest of the season.”

“Listen to me son and listen well! You have proven yourself out there that you belong in the quarterback position. If it wasn’t for you, we wouldn’t have been able to get this win. You picked up this team and led them to their first victory of the season. If you didn’t step up, I don’t know what would have happened out there since you were the only one that had played quarterback before. No other player on the team had played that position.

But, and yes there is a but! I won’t stand here and lie to you that I won’t be looking out there at other quarterbacks that have been in the game for a while in the next couple of days. With that said, by the way you played here today you have made my short list for that position.” Jason looked at his coach with a confused on his face and the coach saw it.

“Look as we go along you will find out a couple of things about me. One of them you will always know where I stand. I always hated those people after having a conversation with them you were more confused than you were when the conversation first started. You won’t have that problem here with me. No matter what it is, you will always get the truth.”

“Thanks coach!” Jason leaned down to pick up his bag before making eye contact again with Coach Campbell. “I guess I will go back to my hotel and wait for your call. But, um…” Jason started to get nervous again. “Thank you for giving me the chance to play in a NFL game in the quarterback position. It’s a dream come true for any quarterback that played in college and high school but never got the chance to have what I got here today.”

Coach Campbell liked how respectful Jason was. He wasn’t sure it was just an act he was putting on to get the position and then the true Jason will come out if he is selected to lead this team on the field each week. That and many other questions he has will not be answered until he gets into the office tomorrow and start making phone calls to Jason’s former coaches and teammates.

“Jason you should go in and join your team in this celebration. No matter what I decide in the quarterback position, you still have the position of our extra point and three point kicker. That offer hasn’t been rescinded because we are looking at you of possibly being our quarterback. So go back in there and join your team and have some fun.”

Politely Jason declined, but followed it up asking if had to stay, which Coach Campbell answered no. As Jason bid his new coach a goodnight and turned to leave, Coach Campbell was left with a weird feeling in his gut about his new player. He couldn’t help but think that there is something there that Jason is hiding from him and whatever it is has to be big by the way he is guarding it.

Shelving those thoughts for tomorrow, Coach Campbell made his way out to the press room. The minute he stepped out from behind the door, the press room came alive. All at once every sports reporter in the room stood up and started throwing question after question at Coach Campbell as he made his way to the podium. Once he took his spot behind the podium, he waited until everyone settled down and took their seats. Even then he didn’t say a word until there was complete silence in the press room.

“Okay, as always I will only take one question at a time, so let’s start over here.” Coach Campbell pointed to an ESPN Sports reporter. “Coach Campbell your offensive line was dismantled in the first half when you lost both your starting quarterback and backup quarterback. After going through that, are you willing to concede now that you need to do something with your offensive line before your next game?”

“I have never said we didn’t need to work on my front four of the offensive line. Since the first game of the pre-season I have said there is work that needs to be done there. Now that we have our bye week, I plan to really look at that area and many other areas during this time. We are one and two right now, and that isn’t where I envisioned us to be at this point of time in the season.”

“Coach Campbell you lost both your starting quarterback and backup quarterback. If what we heard is correct, neither of your two quarterbacks will be returning until the playoffs, and that is if you get into the playoffs. You were lucky here today on finding a player that was able to step up and fill the position. Seeing that Engelmann can play at the NFL level in the quarterback position, do you plan on keeping him in that position or go looking elsewhere?”

Not meaning to, Coach Campbell chuckled at the question. “Sorry, but come on you know the answer to that question, so why even ask.” Campbell leaned forward onto the podium. “Yes I was lucky here today on finding a player that has played quarterback before. But who would ever think that in one game, in less than ten minutes, you will lose both your starting and backup quarterback. I can tell you no one in my position could imagine that.

With that said, yes I’m going to be looking outside the organization for a quarterback. Don’t get me wrong here, Engelmann did an excellent job out there today and because he did he has made my short list for quarterback. Who knows when it is all said and done; I might keep Engelmann as my starter and bring on board a backup for the rest of the season. I won’t know any of that until I start making the calls and getting quarterbacks out here to look at.”

Before Coach Campbell could select another reporter to ask the next question, they all stood up and asked all at once. From the first day Campbell took the position as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, he made it clear that he will have order in his press conferences after each game. If they get out of order, like it his happening now, he will end the press conference and that is exactly what he decided to do. He turned and walked back through the door he came out of.

As the press followed Coach Campbell, trying to get him to answer their questions, Jason had already caught a cab and was on his way to his hotel. Since he arrived in Dallas just a few days ago, Friday, he hasn’t had a chance to look for an apartment. So he found a cheap hotel on the outskirts of the city and decided to stay there until he was sure he was going to stay with the team.

The second he got into the back seat of the taxi, Jason got a weird vibe from the taxi driver. He kept looking up at his rear view mirror at him every time he had a chance, which was making Jason very uncomfortable. It was getting so uncomfortable Jason was about to ask the taxi driver to pull the car over and let him out, but he opened his mouth and asked Jason a question.

“Aren’t you that quarterback that came in and helped the Cowboys win tonight?” Jason didn’t say anything at first. “Yes you are that quarterback that tore apart those fucking Redskins. Man I thought we were done for when our backup got taken out, but you came along.” The car came to a slow stop at the red light, giving the taxi drive a chance to turn around and face Jason. “Man no one will ever believe me that you were my fare. Can I please get your autograph?”

"Um, sir the light has turned green!" The taxi driver took a quick glance at the lights, but didn’t go. He turned back and re-asked Jason for his autograph. “I doubt my autograph will be worth anything. I’m just the kicker, and who knows how long that gig is going to top it off. Who knows I might be cut before the next game and never play another minute of football.”

Finally a car pulled up behind the taxi, being the only other car on the deserted side street, and started to honk their horn. The taxi driver wasn’t too happy being honked at. He turned around and slowly pressed on the gas. As he was going through the intersection, he rolled down his window and gave the car the bird as it passed them on the left side.

“Serious I would like to have you autograph, if you don’t mind.” The taxi driver turned his attention back to Jason. “And let me tell you it would be stupid for Coach Campbell to not sign you as our starting quarterback. The shit you did out there tonight was amazing. I haven’t seen that kind of playing from a quarterback in a very long time. You are not afraid on getting hit. That is what this team needs. A leader to show them how the game should be played. Not like it’s being played now, like a bunch the pussies they are right now.”

That got a laugh out of Jason. A quick flash of the team in cheerleader uniforms, lining up at the line of scrimmage, blowing their nail polish dry went through his mind. He couldn’t help picture that by the way the taxi driver was going on about his team becoming nothing but pussies, afraid of getting hit, which is true. Jason hated admitting that to himself, but had to.

But not only is it true for his team, but all the teams in the NFL today. The players have gotten to the point they do whatever it takes to get that big contract, but once they sign on the dotted line, they change the way they play the game. They don’t want to take the chance of screwing up their career or getting a commercial gig, which most, if not all the fans are getting tired of it.

“Okay, okay. I will give you my autograph, but I’m telling you it’s not going to be worth a hill of beans. I’ll be lucky to stay on this team as a kicker and nothing more than that. The owner, the coach and the fans want an experienced quarterback out there on the field, and that sir I don’t have.”

“Look where experience has gotten us. We haven’t been to the Super Bowl since nineteen ninety five, and only made two playoff appearances since then, and those were wild cards. To make matters worse, we never made it past the wild card game. No, I saw you play out there today. Screw experience, I would take you any day of the week over those quarterbacks that have been playing in the NFL for years. With you we have a chance on getting back to the Super Bowl.”

Not meaning to, Jason started to blush as the taxi came to stop in front of his hotel. “What a dump they have you in. I would have thought an organization like the Cowboys could afford to put up their players at nicer hotels than this one.” The taxi drive spoke as he leaned over his steering column. “You be lucky not to catch anything in those rooms, or worse, lucky not to get shot.”

Once again Jason cracked up on what the taxi driver said. This guy has no problem speaking his mind on any issue, something Jason wished he could do. He usually keeps his thoughts to himself to keep from getting the one he is talking to from getting offended. Most of the time it works, but there are those rare times that the person he is talking to gets offended when he keeps his thoughts to himself, but those are few and far between.

“Well sir, I do thank you for the lively conversation.” Jason spoke in his soft Texan voice as he climbed out of the taxi. “How much do I owe you?” The taxi drive looked down at the meter, pulled out a calculator, punched in a few numbers before telling Jason what he owed. “Wow that is lower than what the meter says! I hope you don’t mind me asking why the discount?”

“Of course not! You are a Dallas Cowboy player. All Dallas Cowboy’s players get discounts when they use our cab service. It isn’t much, but it’s our way of supporting our team!”

“Wow that’s pretty cool!” Jason pulled out a couple of bills from his wallet and handed them to the taxi driver. “This covers the meter and a little more for you.” The taxi driver tried to give the extra money back to Jason, but he wouldn’t take it. “Look you got me back here in one piece and I got a lively conversation along the way. Please keep the extra and get a coffee or something.”

The taxi driver shook his head as he separated the money. Just as he reached down to shut his window, he remembered about the autograph. “Hey, you forgot something.” The taxi driver yelled to Jason, bringing him back to the car. “You promised me an autograph. Can you please sign this for me so I can show it to the others?”

“Wait I have a better idea.” Jason gave back the game program and went running to his room. It didn’t take him long to return. When he did, he was carrying a Polaroid camera. “Why don’t you get out and take a picture with me. I will sign the picture so when you tell your friends and co-workers, they will believe you that it is my autograph.”

“Hell yeah man, that’s an awesome idea!” The taxi driver quickly jumped out of the taxi and put his arm around Jason. With his right arm extended with the camera, Jason took a couple of pictures and let the taxi drive take them all. To make the man even happier, he signed both pictures.

As Jason closed the door to his room, he slid down until his butt hit the floor. Putting his head between his legs, Jason tried to get the room to stop spinning. Ever since he walked out on the field, his whole world started to spin and hasn’t stopped yet. He kept thinking how lucky he was to play quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys; the fucking DALLAS COWBOYS!

At the crack of dawn the next morning, Coach Campbell and his coaching staff were walking into work for what they knew was going to be a very long day. Coach Campbell stayed up most of the night watching sports analysts tear apart the game he had just coached. From all the games that were played throughout the day, no matter what sports channel he turned to, that’s all they were talking about and they had nothing good to say about how the first half went for his team.

He tried not to let it get to him, but the more he watched, the more it did get to him. Every one of them was saying the same thing. Making it feel even worse for him, they were all right. He knew since training camp his offensive line was crap, but there was nothing he could do about it. Not with the salary cap and those on the roster tied into multimillion dollar contracts. It would cost the team too much money to fix the problems on the offensive line. And even if he was given the green light from the owner to take the hit, they were already at the salary cap.

Putting down his briefcase, Coach Campbell walked out of his office and over to the conference room where the rest of the coaches were already waiting for him. “Good morning gentleman! How is everyone this morning?” In one way or another each of them said they were okay. “We have a lot to go over this morning, so I would like to keep on topic, okay?”

All at once all the assistant coaches said yes as Campbell took his seat. “I figure we better cut right to the main topic, our quarterbacks. I got an update early this morning on Stevens as they pulled him out of surgery. His NFL career is over. He will be lucky if he can walk again, more so play football. Since he won’t be returning, we have to look at Watkins to lead this team. Has anyone got an update on when we should be expecting him back?”

“Yes sir!” The offensive line coach, Coach Lewis, jumped in. “I just got off the phone with the doctors treating him before coming here. It doesn’t look good. His ankle is broken in three different places. Which means he is going to be out for all of the regular season. And if we do get into the playoffs, I won’t know if he could play until he gets out there and plays on that ankle.”

“So in other words we are up shit creek without a paddle.” No one said a word. “Gentleman, we need to have a quarterback and a backup quarterback like yesterday. I have looked at who is out there as a free agent and let me tell you they are all shit. Those that can play the game are too old, and the others, well let’s just say they should have never been given a football.”

Coach Campbell stood up and walked over to get himself a cup of coffee. “I really thought this was going to be the year. Besides the problems of our front four on the offensive line, we have a Super Bowl caliber team here gentlemen. Everything was falling into place in practice and then we started the preseason losing. I swear after our second loss, the team was tired of losing. They threw down the gauntlet to win.”

“Yes sir they did and I know the team as it was when we went out on that field yesterday would have got it done if we didn’t lose Stevens. Even after his turnovers, I knew we still were going to win the game. I saw it in the eyes of our players.” The offensive line coach Lewis spoke up again.

“We all agree with you Lewis, but that is neither here or there. Like the press threw in my face after the game yesterday, we got lucky on having that young kid, what’s his name?” Coach Campbell snapped his fingers as he looked over at his special teams coach. “Engelmann, Jason Engelmann! We were very lucky we signed him when we did.

But now we have to come down to earth and really think about everything. Was the kid lucky yesterday? I have never seen a quarterback not miss a throw. I have never seen a quarterback do half the things this kid did. But I can’t say that anymore because I saw that and a lot more from that kid last night on our field. The question I need answered is was it luck?”

The room went alive with mumbling between the coaches. Some of them believed it was pure luck, while others believed it wasn’t. Those that felt it wasn’t pure luck were pushing for Jason to become their starting quarterback. The others that felt it was luck was against Jason becoming the starting quarterback and started pushing who they would like to take the slot.

They were deep into their conversation; they didn’t see the owner at the door until he stepped in and interrupted their conversation. “Gentlemen, gentlemen. One of the things I saw last night was a young man that loved the game out there on the field. He left it all out there. Those are the kind of players I want on my team, I don’t know about you.”

“Yes sir, but the problem I see about all that is his luck is going to eventually run out. I mean, he doesn’t care about getting hit. The guy is all over the field, playing blocker for our running backs, constantly out of the pocket and don’t get me started when he starts running with the ball. The kid is so green that he doesn’t slide to keep from getting tackled.”

“Jackson, I don’t think it’s that he doesn’t care, it’s because he wants to get those extra yards. If he would have slid each time he went running with the ball, we wouldn’t have picked up as many first downs as we did. No we need a quarterback like him.” Lewis stood up and walked over to Jackson. “So if you don’t want him in that position, give me a quarterback in the game today that will play the game the way Engelmann played it yesterday.”

Not one name popped into Jackson’s head. “Any of you that are against this kid give me a name of another that will play like him.” Once again Lewis got no answer. “There you have the answer. He should be given a chance to lead this team. Let’s see what he can do for us. Who knows, he might be the one that will finally break our dry spell and get us where we want to go.”

Everyone was silent, including the owner, Jerry Jones. They all could see where Lewis was coming from and wanted to give the young man a chance, but it was too big of gamble for them. Besides that huge gamble they would be taking on him, there is one other factor they have to consider, the press. At first they would love it, but like so many before him, they will turn on him in seconds. More so if he can’t deliver another game like he delivered yesterday.

TO BE CONTINUED…………………

WRITER’S CORNER:

{Welcome one and all to my new story, ‘Praying for a Hail Mary’. Before I go into the summation of this chapter, let me get rid of all the legal mumble jumble I have to do by using real names of people in my story. This story is purely fictional and does not imply anything about the sexuality of the featured people. I also like to note that The Dallas Cowboys and any other team I write about in this story are a copyright and trademark of the NFL and its affiliates.

Now with that done, let’s get to the summation of this chapter. I know this story is out of the norm of my writing. I have had the idea of this story for now going on two years. I have kept it on the back burner because of the other stories I am writing at this time. However, I have been having a problem getting back into the groove of writing since what has happened in my personal life. I figured to try to start this story in hopes that it unblocks me on my other stories.

Enough with that! This chapter started out exciting and I hope you guys liked it. It was a lot of fun for me to write it. I love football and I love the Dallas Cowboys. I think you saw it in my writing in this chapter. The chapter started in a football game, which kept everyone on their feet. No one knows if they are coming or going right now.

Who is who? Who are going to be the main characters and whose not? Who is going to be the gay character? There has to be a gay character because that is what I write. Well this story will not unfold like my others. Yes in the next chapter I will unveil who is the gay character, but I want to at least keep you guessing for one chapter who it is going to be.

By what you have read, you know the coaches are going to stick around. You also know the starting quarterback is gone. Now what you don’t know is if they are going to keep Jason in the quarterback position or just keep him as a kicker. So that means he is going to be sticking around as well. Also what about Watkins, the backup quarterback. He is not out, but will he return. Then there is going to be a lot more characters along the way that will be introduced into this story. And no I have no plans on making it part of the Jacob realm of stories.

I know it was short and sweet, but don’t get used to it. I have big plans for this story, so come on back and keep reading this saga. You will not regret it, I promise. And if I forgot anything in my summation that needed to be mentioned I know me Editor Trevor will pick up on it and write it out in his editor’s corner below. Thanks again for giving this new story a chance.

There is going to be a lot developing in the chapters to come. Stick around and keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}

EDITOR’S CORNER:

Well it’s great to back as part of the JPG team as editor of this new and exciting story. Jacob first spoke to me about this story over two years ago and I was amazed at the speed he got the first chapter written.

Has he pointed out he is a great lover of football and even bigger one of the cowboys. In fact he has an exact replica of the 1995 super bowl ring which he often proudly wears when he goes out.

Anyway back to the story itself and there’s not a lot I can say that he hasn’t already said because this chapter is setting the scene for the action which is to come. One thought that went through my head while reading this chapter for the first time is, how many gay football players are they out there? Because of the sport they are in it would be difficult for them to come out and declare their sexuality but I’m sure there would be some of our top players who are on our side of the fence.

I have a pretty good idea who the gay one in this story is going to be but I won’t mention any names because knowing JPG he is likely to change things to prove I am wrong. LOL

I’m sure you readers whether your football fans or not will enjoy this story. Don’t forget to let JPG and I know what you think of this new venture of his. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Hugs
Trevor

Copyright © 2013 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

great story. what makes it great for me is being anAustralian/Canadaian who knows absolutely nothing about American Football, you managed to write a story where actual knowledge of the game was minimal. Instead it was about what the players and coach felt, wanted and hoped for. Almost despite its subject matter I enjoyed it immensely!

Thanks

Link to comment

Definitely a football fan and now a great fan of your writing. Your details of the game and the commentator's conversation was like watching the game on television or listening to it on the radio. It was right on! I have my thoughts of who is going to be the gay character also and hope that I am right. It will make it even more interesting to see how he handles his career and his sexuality knowing he is under the scrutiny of his team, fans, and most of all the media. I loved you author's note at the end. If I were not a football fan, I still would have to come back for more. Great job :2thumbs:

Link to comment

Hello Jacob,

First off I live in Australia so do not know American football well but even Down Under we have heard of the Dallas Cowboys and even I was rooting for them, even though I have no idea what a huck is lol. Very impressed with how Jason handled himself being thrown into the gauntlet like that and it shows that greats sportsmanship is still out there, no matter how much they are paid.

I agree with Coach Campbell in that there should have been fouls called when the first two quarterbacks were injured, one may never play again to me that is a serious issue and the Redskins should be fined. Rugby and AFL players here do if it is too rough a tackle!!

To your question re: this story I like it. The way you intrigued us right from the first paragraph kept me reading and now I can't stop. I have not read any of your other stories.... yet.... I will be though.

Keep going and well done

Link to comment

I'm not a football fan, don't know a thing about the game. But obviously the other hand I do like your writing Jacob. And I figure by the time I get caught up to where your last chapter is I will know more about football than I ever thought I would. I've read your Jacob series so I already know will enjoy this one as well.

I can't believe that they just let jason walk off like that after saving their ass and that game. A day worse to some hotel that according to the taxi driver isn't even safe. Hopefully they treat him better than this. Looking forward to see what happens.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..