Jump to content
    Jam17
  • Author
  • 1,371 Words
  • 2,753 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Modern Boarding School - 1. Chapter 1

Oh man, it cant be morning already. I rolled around on the bed and checked the time 'SHIT' I said out loud. It was 5:30 and I only had one hour left to say goodbye to my room, to my house, to my life. Ok maybe I was being too dramatic but being sent off to boarding school wasn't my idea of a great sweet 16 birthday present. Yep thats how I was told by my Dad.

'Hey Josh, Happy birthday buddy, here's the keys to your new car and the brochure to your new all boys school is on the kitchen counter.'

I of-course was to busy running for the door with keys in hand when I suddenly stopped and turned around slowly, not believing if I just heard the last bit right. I slowly walked to the kitchen just like in those movies where a bomb is about to explode and the heros start running away from it in slow motion. Only I was walking towards the explosion that was going to occur in my life in slow motion. Their it was on the counter, a big blue packet with 'Mount School For Boy's' written in silver.

After weeks of fighting with my dad, and doors slamming and shouting I realized I didn't have a choice. So here it was the day I have been dreading for 3 weeks and 4 and a half days. Summer vacation was over and I had to leave old my life, all my friends and just well everything I have come to know and grown up with. It's not easy for a guy to change the school he's been at for 14 years plus make new friends. The fact that my school was also a school which was strangely totally ok with the whole gay thing. Yeah I was gay and nobody even cared, how cool is that? Well, they cared in the beginning when word let out by my great ex-best friend but once it died down everyone was ok with me, even the jocks went back to talking to me like nothing was wrong.

You might think, this is every gay teenagers dream right? Being sent off to some all guy island. But trust me that was the last thing on my mind. In fact I was so pissed about the whole situation that I didn't even acknowledge this fact. Ok maybe I did but I still wasn't happy about it, even if it did mean me and 150 other boys without parents and just a couple of teachers.

My name's Nate, 16 years old with green eyes and brown wavy hair that never seems to tame no matter how much i've tried. I'm pretty damn proud of my body, 14 years of swimming really payed off. I'm pretty tall and was offered to play on the basketball team a couple of times but I refused. Seeing wet guys in speedos was more my thing I realized.

I finally got myself out of bed and took a long shower, savoring every hot little drop of water that landed on my body. I bet this Mount place didn't even have hot water. I groaned at the thought and after shampooing my hair I got out. I wrapped a towel around my face and went to the bathroom mirror staring at myself. 'Hmm not bad' I said to myself smiling. Pearly white teeth, still a nice tan on my body that I got from spending most of my time in the beach over the summer.

I went into my room and could smell the breakfast coming from downstairs. Poor dad had to learn how to cook along with myself after mom died. I sighed to myself with flooding memories of her. How her hair use to smell, how she felt whenever she would hug me and how she smiled and told me she still loved me when I came out to her. 'Stupid cancer, stupid mother fucking cancer' was all I could say at her funeral when they told me to say a few words. Yeah they weren't the best but thats what I felt at the time. Three years passed and I still thought of her everyday, sometimes i'd try talking to my dad about her but he'd just nod or leave the room. He luckily still hasn't found out from anybody that I was gay which I was very happy about. I'm not exactly sure on his feelings towards gays but I knew he didn't love them either.

After dressing in some dark blue jeans and a white polo I went downstairs and didn't reply to my dad's hello which he sighed at. He needed to suffer for the time being was what I had decided. We packed all my suitcases into the trunk of his car still in silence as he drove me to the airport. Oh yeah didn't I mention? Its gonna be in a totally different state...TEXAS! So lets add that to the list of things I have to hate about my life at the moment.

It was a fairly silent drive with the radio music drowning in the background. I stared outside and looked sadly at all the passing neighborhoods I grew up in, the tree I once got a broken ankle falling out of, the swing where i kissed my first bf. Oh god Sid, i wonder what's he doing right now. Yesterdays farewell was awfaul. Lots of tears from him, some secret ones from me, hugging and promises of keeping in touch. We weren't exactly inlove but we were two guys who found it conveiniet to go out. Californian guys were usually really stuck up and all into themselves but he was an exception. We never really had that burning flame going on that most couples usually do. We agreed to break up and knew it was for the best. We were more like best friends and thats the reason why we were sad. We were gonna miss each other as friends but not as bf's. Kinda weird when I think about it.

We got to the airport and we sat in the car for a whole 2 minutes in complete silence. I knew my dad had something to say so I just stayed quiet waiting for him.

'Look Nate, I know your angry at me' he said slowly which earned a snort out of me. 'Ok I know your pissed, but this is for the best. With me moving to Paris for 2 months for this new job and just traveling back and fourth, i couldn't do that to you, its not r right to drag you along with me. This is going to be great buddy, your gonna make new friends and i'll drive your car up there so you can take out all the guys out on dates and i'm sure..' I didnt let him continue and almost screamed a 'WHAT?!' he just looked at me with a raised eyebrow 'You don't really think your father is that stupid right? Never once going out with a single girl? All those sleepovers with Sid and the weird suspicious noises coming from it...OH and the time when you....'

I didn't let him continue though i hugged him and laughed a relieved laugh, he was ok with it, he was fucking ok with it. He was kind of surprised and hugged me back after a minute patting my back.

'Its ok kiddo, your my only son, of course i was gonna love you even if you wanted to go all she-male on me or whatever they call it. Call me when you land and whenever your short of money just call and i'll handle it. Focus on your studies and make me proud. And please try not to break too many hearts like your old man'

I nodded shaking his hand, getting back into my macho mode and smiling at him when he gave me a pat on the back.

Yeah this still wasn't going my way at all but maybe it wasn't going to be that bad? Maybe my life would turn out not totally fucked like i thought...

Thanks for the read, i'll try to update at least every week if you enjoyed it.
Feedback always appreciated.
The Copyright for this story is held by Jamie R. The story may not be reprinted or distributed elsewhere in print, electronically or digitally without the permission of the author
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The main character is very likeable. Your writing style is good. If you finish this and do a rewrite, you might want to make the first chapter a little faster paced by showing more and telling less. There was a lot of inner monologue. Josh also seems a little too confident. If he was a bit more worried about going to a boarding school it would provide more tension for the reader.

There were many grammatical errors that could easily be fixed, as well. Still, the whole thing flowed well and didn’t seem choppy to me at all. The only stalling part was when he described himself. Maybe if you do a rewrite, you could have him tell us what he looks like by comparing himself to how his parents looked. That may even be a good transition into, or from, telling us that his mother passed away. If this was an early draft, I’d say that it was a very good one, and that you are a natural story teller. The flow was good. I really hope you’re not bummed by any of this criticism; I wouldn’t even bother if you were not a promising writer. You should also know that I am also just a guy who reads a lot and not a trained editor. I just don’t believe that it is helpful to any writer to just praise them. It doesn’t help them look at their own stuff objectively. Know that I like your style and will keep reading your stuff—consider me a fan.

Link to comment
On 06/10/2011 03:30 PM, said:
The main character is very likeable. Your writing style is good. If you finish this and do a rewrite, you might want to make the first chapter a little faster paced by showing more and telling less. There was a lot of inner monologue. Josh also seems a little too confident. If he was a bit more worried about going to a boarding school it would provide more tension for the reader.

There were many grammatical errors that could easily be fixed, as well. Still, the whole thing flowed well and didn’t seem choppy to me at all. The only stalling part was when he described himself. Maybe if you do a rewrite, you could have him tell us what he looks like by comparing himself to how his parents looked. That may even be a good transition into, or from, telling us that his mother passed away. If this was an early draft, I’d say that it was a very good one, and that you are a natural story teller. The flow was good. I really hope you’re not bummed by any of this criticism; I wouldn’t even bother if you were not a promising writer. You should also know that I am also just a guy who reads a lot and not a trained editor. I just don’t believe that it is helpful to any writer to just praise them. It doesn’t help them look at their own stuff objectively. Know that I like your style and will keep reading your stuff—consider me a fan.

Dear Nature Nut,Trust me i really loved your criticism, really opened my eyes to the things people failed to point out before.Keep a look out and i'll post more chapters soon and hope to hear your thought's about them.Jamie
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..