Jump to content
    James K
  • Author
  • 1,599 Words
  • 762 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

An Awkward Revolutionary - 4. Chapter IV

The delay in publication due to Christmas and New Year. This chapter today and another tomorrow...

Previously:
Aleksander has come home from university to stay with his father Novel Vanya, on their small estate where Feliks, his uncle, is also living. Daniil Vinogradov accompanies Aleksander, he is the friend with whom Aleksander has shared his lodgings, he is an amateur artist and studying the history of art. Daniil is also a couple of years older than Aleksander and as he calls himself, is a free thinking man.

Aleksander discovers he has a half-brother, something he finds perfectly fine, although his father was not forthcoming with the revelation.

Feliks, Aleksander's uncle, has a rather unique, if not odd character, and Daniil and his uncle are a little antagonistic. They do not discuss Daniil's artwork, which is another revelation!


♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤

Chapter IV

 

"You should have talked to Feliks about art, I am sure you could find a common ground," Aleksander said, now they were alone.

Novel Vanya had left with Natasha and Feliks followed them out of the breakfast room shortly after, without saying anything more.

"I'm sorry, but there is a manner your uncle has which seems to irritate me. I'm not sure if he is always the same, or it is because I am here."

"I will tell you about my uncle, but first, what sketching did you do so early this morning?"

"You will be surprised," Daniil said, smiling broadly as he removed his sketch book from his pocket. He opened it at the last page and handed it to Aleksander. Picking up his tea Daniil observed his companion's reaction as he studied the sketch.

Aleksander paused before commenting, "Weren't they cold?" He smirked. Actually, he thought it was a very good sketch, the subject matter was not so surprising, although they had never talked about sensuality, passion, or desire.

"It doesn't shock you?" Daniil looked at Aleksander over his tea cup, and tried to gauge his reaction.

"No, of course not. I already knew you to be a free thinker and as an artist I find your sketch has great merit."

"Thank you," Daniil replied. "But you needn't be so formal. Surely we can be relaxed between the two of us, alone."

"I am curious as to how this sketch came to be."

Daniil smiled. "I happened upon the two stable lads whilst taking an early tour, and it seemed too perfect an opportunity to let pass. The older one is quite big."

Aleksander handed back the sketch book. "You mean big as in..." He faltered, not wanting to offend his artist companion by being vulgar.

"I said we should be free to express ourselves and I meant that. Let's not fall into all the pompousness of your uncle or the embarrassment of your father." Daniil set his tea down on the table. "Yes, the lad is well endowed, much more so than the younger one. I will have to introduce you so you can see for yourself."

"I'm not sure that would be very correct, it is you who is the artist."

"Art is only one of many pleasures, one should not deny what one might enjoy."

Aleksander blushed, he had never before had such a conversation, not with anyone. Daniil opened the sketch book and held up the picture.

"Wouldn't you imagine they don't bugger each other? I know these peasant lads are as randy as a bull with a field of cows."

"I must make a confession," Aleksander said. "You will think me very innocent and unsophisticated, but I have never allowed myself to think of such things, and certainly never uttered a word to anyone."

"Oh, my friend, you rather contradict yourself. It is evident from what you say you have indeed thought about it, only never voiced your desires. I understand, but you should not be so serious, it is nothing more we talk about other than pleasures, desires, and life. I think I shall make it my task to educate you in such matters."

Aleksander could not believe that here in his father's house he was discussing what the pastor would describe as the sins of the flesh. No doubt, so too, would his uncle and his father. However, despite reflecting on what others might judge, he was nevertheless oddly excited and his curiosity was piqued.

"Your uncle," Daniil reminded him, "You said you would tell me about him."

"Come let's sit in the armchairs." Aleksander led Daniil to the end of the room where two old leather armchairs sat, one each side of the small fireplace. As he stood there he picked up a log from the basket and placed it on the fire. "I feel the cold," he remarked, as he sat down.

Daniil took the other armchair with its dark green leather which was crisscrossed with cracks, appearing white and giving a marbled effect. He sank into it and waited.

"My uncle was educated at home, exactly as was my father, and after they both joined the army, following my grandfather. All I know is they shared a small apartment and their futures were mapped out. However, life has a habit of surprising you, so my father said. He was injured, which is why he limps, since then he has always had that limp, and now he uses a cane."

The wood cracked in the fire, Daniil sat staring at the flames, listening, not interrupting.

"He is still an attractive figure, he has style, one might say too much, but that would be disingenuous. When he was young he attracted women and men alike, he was a magnet and a charmer, his life was a whirlwind of invitations, dinners, entertainment, and animated soiries. Everything was bright until he met a certain lady, with whom he became infatuated, a married lady. If that were not problem enough she was also as strange as her husband. You understand, when I tell you this it is the recounting of what my father told me? It is not, I have never talked about any of this directly with my uncle.

"This lady and her husband led Feliks on a merry dance, they were libertines, and he became like them. He fell into the trap and followed a lifestyle dictated by his infatuation, one which would eventually destroy him. Or very nearly so.

"As I said, men also followed, were attracted to Feliks. At times his reputation was this close," Aleksander indicated a tiny distance with his open palms. "Yes, he very nearly, no he did, pay a heavy price. Even if he kept his reputation, although his flamboyant dress, his attitude, well the former attracted comment and the latter won him no friends.

"He trained a team of men, a gymnastics team, but some in that team indulged in the whims of this circle of libertines he was then a part of. An inescapable part of, trapped by his infatuation. So when you talk of free thinking and moral freedom he is unhappily reminded of the past, or simply when he sees a certain, let me be honest with you. You can sometimes be quite direct and forceful with your views."

Daniil looked up from the dancing flames and glanced at his companion.

"Never mind, but Feliks is wont to react and his reaction is often not too agreeable. But perhaps you can begin to see why. He is not a bad man.

"The lady in question would disappear and voyage, returning at her whim, and Feliks was slowly being drowned. The libertine lifestyle took its toll, but the end point was the death of his lover, even before that, he was destroyed by her indifference, but her death was the end. It was his brother, my father, who dragged him out of the city and installed him here in the countryside, on this little estate.

"My father had come here after the death of his wife, my mother. Each of them had lived their separate lives until then. As brothers they have little in common, neither by character, nor in their lives, but this you have already remarked upon, how different they are.

"Feliks did not come here immediately, but events, or emotions, finally led him to flee the city. My father said he feared he would be bored, he settled into life at Ryavda and spent much of his time reading, he did not take part in the social life such as it was for this rural community. Feliks was by this time older and entering into that time of his life when he might regret his youth and what had gone before. And perhaps it would have been so, because my father had Natasha, but Feliks had only himself. When he did on rare occasions mix with people or go out, he would always dress impeccably, dine at the best table in the best restaurant, stay overnight at the top hotel. He avoided any depth of relations and both old and young found him arrogant. Women still fawned after his good looks, but he had no interest in them."

Aleksander turned to face his companion, "So you see, Daniil, my uncle is not exactly how you imagine him. He is deeply unhappy and can find no lasting solace. You must allow he is of an older generation and times change."

"Allow, indeed," Daniil replied, "but how must one allow such a predisposition which can only vex and exasperate one. Let's not dwell too deeply into the chasm lest we both become our own demons. Come I would show you something more romantic and artful."

As usual, thank you for reading and any comments are welcome.
Copyright © 2021 James K; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..